Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rotor posted:

quitting smoking is easy. Just dont smoke any more. Dont put a cigarette in your mouth and light it. Pretty straightforward really.

(puffing gently on tobacco pipe) indeed, i never touch the stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

in my experience of doing actual programming for money, big O notation is something talked about in interviews and literally nowhere else. i've never heard a programmer mention big O while actually doing a job

for the minority of roles where writing high performance algorithms is a core requirement, maybe it's a thing, but we simply leave those roles to the math nerds who, for some unknown reason, love that poo poo

~on the other topic~

it is folly for an ex-smoker to opine to other would-be ex-smokers about the "right way" to quit, because different people are different

my partner quit smoking 2 years ago after smoking for 25 years. she hasn't had a cigarette since, and she will never touch one again, but she misses them ALL THE TIME, even now, even though she understands exactly how they played on her reward mechanisms

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rotor posted:

oh its folly to opine is it?

i'll give you an opining pass

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

hbag posted:

i think i have a grasp on what makes a function take longer but i could not write it out as math

assuming you don't want to work for google anyway, that's fine

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

hbag posted:

i mean ill need to figure it out so i can actually pass interviews right

i can't really answer that because i haven't interviewed anywhere in a long time

but as an anecdotal data point, we don't mandate that type of bullshit where i work. if your job will be pushing react components around a page, we ask about that; if you job will be building api endpoints, we ask about that. we'll certainly touch on performance but we're not going to ask anyone to express something in big O notation specifically, though they can if they really want to

idk what others are doing

now please, lets return to talking about the joys of smoking and the myriad medical problems that can be treated with a delicious cigarette, which is what this thread is about if i'm remembering correctly...?

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

amen

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

hbag posted:

what counts as "opining" i dont actually know what that word means and im not sure why a bunch of people just got killed by rotor

rotors are very dangerous, they’re sharp and move fast and you should stand well clear

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

git apologist posted:

i remember when smoking in bars was banned in nz and one weekend clubs were like smokey mysterious cool kids zones and the next they were revolting miasmas of fart, sweat, vomit, and piss aromas

same thing happened here, ruined bars for me. the smoke haze did a lot of heavy lifting for the atmosphere

wait a second, these aren’t sexy, mysterious strangers, they’re a bunch of drunk, depressed burnouts

e: sorry, i shouldn’t sign my posts

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

fart simpson posted:

same thing happened here and it made bars a lot better for me. the smoke haze smelled terrible and stuck to my hair and clothes so i'd have to go home and shower before bed and throw my clothes in the washing machine or i could still smell the cigarettes in my bedroom the next morning

well i was in my late 20s when it happened here, so i still didn’t mind being the disgusting bar sleaze, just acknowledging that that was who i was hanging out with

of course if i’m being totally honest, and aren’t we all, i was not a huge bar person to start with so it wasn’t much to give up, and my partner was a smoker then so the smell would be coming home with us regardless

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rotor posted:

Smoking is very bad for you but it does make you look cool and im tired of people pretending it doesnt

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

it’s also fun

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i’ve never been probed in my account’s relatively short lifespan, and i’m sure calling attention to that fact will do nothing to change it

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rotor posted:

no but he looks cooler

it is indeed a relative effect, a coolness modifier

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

imo the latter half of this post is an opinion

you know that imo is an abbreviation of “i mightily opine,” right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

lol similar to hbag, i’ve known about something awful for like 20 years, i was just never tempted to register

if i hadn’t somewhat randomly ended up reading a yospos thread around when elon musk bought twitter i still wouldn’t have