Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hbag posted:

what is "np hard" anyway

it's a computer science thing for algorithms that was explained to me once in college. I thought I understood it then but I probably really didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hbag posted:

ah, this is like when they tried to teach me big o notation and i learned nothing

tech interviewers really like the big o though, so it's good to have a handle on for that alone. if interviewers started talking about p or np or whatever I'd laugh at them

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Big O is a stupid name. The greeks already had words for big O and little o: omega and omicron. Use those

You just tell the interviewer: I got you're big O right here! :goatsecx:

Then you are guaranteed to get the job.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

if your time complexity is too big, use a hash table instead

if your smoking addition is too strong, switch to hash instead

:hmmyes:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I don’t like how cigarette smoke smells and I’m glad it’s not as common anymore

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I like that there are two earnest and completely unrelated discussions going on here.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rotor posted:

Smoking is very bad for you but it does make you look cool and im tired of people pretending it doesnt

I feel that smoking only makes people who already looks cool look cool. The fat, balding liquor store clerk standing outside on his smoke break still doesn't look cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

how does a person join the forums in 2022 unless it’s a re-reg

it’s the up to date front page content