Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turbo Overkill is a new retro-but-not-really FPS that is perhaps the best shooter of the year. So I made a thread.

I wrote 'chainsaws everywhere' (and indeed you can get up to four of them) but it's more like 'slaps everywhere'.

Music? It slaps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_KVRl2YfJ0

Gritty cyberpunk setting? It slaps:

Movement? Slappin' time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlxHO6sLZKk

Seriously, it has super smooth and easy to execute (even for me) acrobatic movement, combining double or triple jumps, super slide, a generous double dash, wall running, a hook, and great air control.

Weapons? They slap. 10 of them, all of them good to fire and with alt fires, with a pair of 'extras' I'm not counting them.

Duration? Slaps for around 8 to 10 hours, which is a pretty good amount for a high adrenaline, super fast, linear action game like this. It also has decent levery variety with some cool gimmicks and around 20 enemy types.
The game also has five difficulties, and actually is kinda easy on the middle one, so it should be able to be played by most people.

Despite being a mostly a single dev project (except the music, and four artists for 'additional art' including animation), I'm impressed with the production values, it has thrilling set pieces, cool cutscenes, decent voice acting, and the game can look nice despite the chosen retro aesthetic with low poly enemies.

Even the story, which obviously isn't the focus in a shooter like this, it isn't totally an afterthought, it's decent enough to enhance the rest of the game.

There is a secrets collectible system that if you get all of them in a level, you get a cheat you can toggle in the main menu, some can be interesting like an enemy randomizer.
It also has a endless/horde mode with optional coop that I haven't tried. And custom maps too.

The game isn't perfect, it has some issues. Let' see
-It lets you choose a lower difficulty in the middle of the campaign but not a higher one
-The difficulty balance itself is a bit problematic (it depends too much of a pair of upgrades you can choose to install on you, which nets you too much hp/armor while playing)
-Some of the other upgrades are on the other hand dumb, like a few that serve to gain extra ammo. Believe me, you don't need extra ammo in this game, it's everywhere and you never will run out of it.
-The chainsaw-slide is AWESOME but gameplay wise is actually too good, overshadowing a bit the good weapon arsenal the game has.
-A few places where it isn't clear where you have to advance towards.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1328350/Turbo_Overkill/?snr=1_2500_2502_
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6NH-TDClDA

92 on OpenCritic
https://opencritic.com/game/13051/turbo-overkill/reviews

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CHEGG

Turin Turambar posted:

Gritty cyberpunk setting? It slaps:

mustn't forget the Synthwave Room

currently frustrating myself into oblivion getting 836 or 837 kills out of 838 on Vector-4; game still owns and I need to go back through on Murder Machine now that the completion achievements are fixed

turbo tips:

-the AoE on the Waster's secondary fire is much, much larger than it appears
-you can CHEGG in any direction
-you can jump while CHEGGing
-all of the following weapons are rocket jump capable: Waster secondary, Boomer primary(and secondary but it's way less practical), Launcher(deals minor damage), Telefragger charge shot
-you can also rocket jump off of Security Drones if you land on them before you dome them; this is usually the easiest way to kill them all
-the Grappling Hook works on every enemy
-you can cancel the Boomer primary's reload by swapping weapons, and fire it almost as quickly as the Waster
-there are Syntech Portals all over every level, not just after the upgrade appears in Episode 3

I also especially liked the obvious Knight Rider inspiration in the hoverbike level
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orUFhi9Iluc

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 11, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I haven't found any secret level, any help with that? (edit, I see, it's finding all the tapes... drat I usually get 2 of 3)

One day I will replay the game but instead of upping the difficulty, I want to try to limit myself to not use the chainsaw slide (as much as possible), I suspects it will play very differently.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 17, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

One day I will replay the game but instead of upping the difficulty, I want to try to limit myself to not use the chainsaw slide (as much as possible), I suspects it will play very differently.

:same:

Turin Turambar posted:

I haven't found any secret level, any help with that?

All the secret levels are unlocked by collecting all three tapes in each normal level. Steam has a pretty good guide for the tapes & chips.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

post-Chapter 1 Murder Machine impressions: Grizzlers are a god drat menace and need to be put down from a safe distance with maximum prejudice

Sloths become much more dangerous as well

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What's a grizzler? I'm pretty sure I know what a sloth is.

The charged sniper shot is so powerful. It and charged rockets are my go to for beating big enemies if I'm out of missiles but I only beat it on street sweeper

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Grizzlers are the mooks with triple plasma shots & glowy triangle heads

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Where do you find this information? I want to know what the big things I call centaurs are. They throw a spear

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hit Tab for the codex with all the enemies, guns, audio logs, tooltips, etc. Those guys are called Syn-Taurs.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There was an update some hours ago:

1.13 Changelog
GENERAL
- Fixed difficulty balance errors
- Fixed bug with shootable switches triggering too many times
- Ripper reposed in final cutscene
- Cleaned up end credits sequence
- Grapple points look at the camera now
- Gore Keep now has ammo
- Fixed compass markers showing up in photomode
- Fixed difficulty achievements not triggering
- Teratek Crate added back into Exodus
- Removed slight time delay between equipping the Waster and using the alt-fire
- Added some heavy ammo to the chain room in Rooftops
- Fixed gates getting stuck on Exodus (TEST THIS)
- Potential fix for The Wastes not spawning enemies around Ion Blaster
- Fixed Endless going black when clicking Restart
- Fixed visual bug on Vector-4 central platform
- Fixed a potential skip in Open Season where Syntech Portals would appear beyond forcefield
- You can no longer get 'Free Your Mind' while in noclip mode
- Fixed Telefragger 0 ammo bug in Final Purge
- Fixed visual bug in Rooftops of cars just vibing in the middle of nowhere
- Coop: Fixed transitioning between scenes
- Coop: Streamlined disconnection
- Coop: Rockets now replicate correctly between clients

It seems the difficulties were a bit hosed up before. I think the game is slightly harder now (on Medium).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I got free your mind the old fashioned way, by slipping out of the level looking for secrets and falling infinitely

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There's a spot where Free Your Mind is really easy to get, in Terminal Eclipse. After you go through the first teleporter, you'll be in an arena with a grapple point on either side. It's simple to jump back & forth between those.

honestly it should be a piece of cake in any arena where you can Syntech Portal around

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm on Vector 4 and I chuckled at the twist of one of the last levels being a pretty, clean, white, spacious setting, in other words, 'heaven-like', instead of the expected bio-infested demonic nightmare one would think as you get close to your objective. It's the same twist some famous Doom wads have done over the years.

This game has to be interesting to speedrun. Not only because all the movement tricks it allows, but because 70% of the combat can be skipped, only a minority you are forced to fight.

At 144fps, the game was making generate too much heat from my gpu (being you know, August). I had to limit the framerate to 100fps in the nvidia control panel to make it more tolerable.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

-you can cancel the Boomer primary's reload by swapping weapons, and fire it almost as quickly as the Waster

-this also works for the Launcher and Telefragger :blastu:

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 11, 2023

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Some of the tracks in this game are drat good, that car surfing level at the end of episode 1 was amazing

Milo and POTUS posted:

I got free your mind the old fashioned way, by slipping out of the level looking for secrets and falling infinitely

I got it by flying my car around aimlessly, quicksaving, and then quickloading.

Also got the "complete all levels on easy mode" achievement by just opening the game.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hwurmp posted:

-this also works for the Launcher and Telefragger :blastu:

You can straight up shotgun swap like you're playing ultrakill with the double barrel and the pump. I imagine it works for other weapons too

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finished it. The game as it arrives to the [extended[ climax is epic, but drat exhausting. There are so many boss phases and then still a long level to play!

The achievements have to be bugged, right? Only 10% have finished the first level?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I got all the level achievements as they came, but they must have been bugged for a long time. The completion achievements were bugged until just yesterday.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

(Bump)

I just noticed the game got a few more reviews, and it's now 92/100 in Opencritic

It clearly is only missing some bear sex to be one of the best games of the year!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Civvie did a vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vliO_P_q8Pw

spoilers: he liked it

e: he doesn't show the chenis secret and I'm a little sad about that

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 11, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There was an update, this is the changelog:

quote:

Arcade Mode
Arcade Mode is a new way to replay existing levels. We've extended the Endless mode's medal and score system into the campaign! Along with this, global leaderboards have been added.

Play something new with the Custom Maps overhaul!
Check out the new map browser with vastly improved navigation and visual flair. Want to create your own arena of destruction? Take a look at the all new Voxel Level Editor. Easily carve out your arena in seconds and publish for all to play!

Arcade Mode added
Massive level editor overhaul
Dualshock controller support
Episode 3 monsters added to Endless
Graphics settings expanded, added Shader Quality and Lighting Quality
Games file size reduced by half
Made world triggers far more reliable
Photomode now available for all languages
(and many bug fixed)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

critical update: a lot of the mans currently have pumpkin heads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

We are also rolling out Patch 1.2 for the game. Some notable features include...
Custom Difficulties
Save File backups (can restore older saves via the Settings menu)
Custom framerate limiter
A snazzy new intro sequence
Infodex has been optimized for gamepads and the Steam Deck

I think the custom difficulties part was worth posting.