Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I am an old man and I am too lazy to make an actual thread this year. So lazy in fact that I’m doing this on my phone while sitting on the couch, much like the league does all of it’s business.

Napoli won last year for the first time since Big Diego did a pile of blow and went to training 5 minutes later. It was well deserved and they were excellent to watch.

Lazio finished in the top 4 somehow? Sarri good?

Juventus received a points deduction for overvaluing their players in the market in order to manipulate the value of the club itself, among other things. As we all know crimes against the shareholders are the most heinous so not only did they miss out on the champions league, they were also ordered to play in the conference league. Wisely they negotiated a way to pay someone to get out of actually doing that.

Inter and Milan contested a champions league semifinal despite both teams playing pretty loving terribly for the back half of the season. Romelu Lukaku managed to make Inter fans hate him by being a big moron and/or having the worst publicist on earth. Sandro Tonali was sold to Newcastle for several American binmen and some maybe decent players you may have heard of on FM.

Fiorentina and Roma went to European finals and shat the bed.

The rest of the teams were bad, especially Spezia who not only got relegated but did so in a special tie breaker match against Hellas, who could have finally hosed off but nooooooo

Anyway every team in the top four lost at least one very influential player (Kim, Milinkovic-Savic, Lukaku, Tonali) so there will be some shakeups. I actually expect this season to be pretty competitive. Oh and Genoa is back and have quietly assembled a pretty nice looking team.

Sorry about the poo poo thread!!! SPIASSE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
also this happened

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Supposedly the refs are going to adopt the world cup added time rules, meaning they'll actually play much longer. Bari and Palermo had something like a total of 25 minutes of added time today in Serie B so we'll see if they're actually serious. I have my doubts, especially when it's Allegri or god forbid Conte time if he comes back.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

also this happened

lol yes extremely important, he's fuckin dead.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I hope at least Hellas dies this season.

Ideally Inter get to the consequences part of their own financial bullshit this year.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
for some delusional/uninformed thoughts on the upcoming season:

- It's tempting to make Napoli a question mark due to the loss of Spalletti and Kim, but they kept everyone else and are adding some strong pieces, I still think of them as the favorites. It did seem like opposing coaches solved the Kvara puzzle towards the end of last season, maybe he was just burned out, will be interesting to see if he is back to his best right away. Osimhen is just an absolute monster, and ADL should be in prison for the dodgy transfer to bring him in, imo.
- Lazio were slow to get there mercato going but seem to be making some good moves late in the window. Losing SMS is massive but I think they're reloading with players well suited to Sarri. Might not be deep enough to handle the CL and the league though.
- Inter will probably do about the same as they did this year, losing Brozo is huge but they've got good midfield depth, I think the biggest question is whether Thuram/Arnautovic can replace Dzeko and Lukaku, and well...
- Milan's moneyball approach has brought in some interesting purchases for sure, but I think that mass overhaul of the squad will make it tough for them to compete for the scudetto this year, feels a bit more like a reloading year. Losing Tonali and being without Bennacer for half the season is tough to absorb.
- Atalanta are quietly overhauling their entire attack. They've generally gotten their recruitment correct so it'll be interesting to see whether Gasperini can make something out of Scamacca/Toure/CDK in short order. They added strength to their back line but I think their midfield is getting a bit stale, but Koopmeiners may actually be a star in the making
- Roma overhauled their midfield with rejects from Lyon and PSG but otherwise seem pretty stale. I think their season hinges on the availability of Dybala's hamstrings/back/ankles/etc. They've got no transfer budget and that'll hold them back.
- Juve are probably going to be roughly the same as last year. I think they got some mild upgrades at both wingback positions and I expect better production from Chiesa but the same basic flaws exist in midfield and in attack. Pogba's still dead. They're promoting u19 players instead of purchasing first team squad members. Alex Sandro will still play a lot and suck rear end and I worry that the milage piled on Danilo is catching up to him. I expect them to hover between 3rd and 6th all year. Maybe another scandal will dock them another 10 to 15 points.
- Fiorentina are a lot like Atalanta in that they've overhauled their front line drastically. Parisi was a great signing at left back. I don't have a lot of faith in Arthur but Italiano is as good of a candidate to reboot Arthur's career as anyone if he can actually stay healthy. If they lose Amrabat and/or Nico G late in the window and don't get solid replacements that'll ding their ambitions.
- Bologna will probably be pretty good again this year. A lot will hinge on Zirkzee replicating Arnautovic's production, I rate Zirkzee's ability a lot and think he's a sleeper breakout candidate. Only notable loss so far was Schoeten, but I think Ferguson and Dominguez are both quite good, Ferguson also could make the leap up this year too I think
- Torino might be able to jump up to the Bologna/Fiorentina Europa League/Conference race tier if they can somehow get a striker upgrade before the end of the window. There's a lot of quality in this side with Ilic/Ricci/Bellanova/Temeze/Vlasic/Schuurs/Buongiorno, but their strikers still look not up to the task.
- Monza built a lot of their success on loaned in players last year and not all of them are back. I suspect they'll be relatively comfortable mid table, but they've lost a lot of quality so probably will fall back in the pack somewhat. Probably a good chance they'll get some young talents from big clubs in on loan before the end of the month. Palladino seems a bright coaching talent though so this should be a good test for him. He'll really have to motivate them without the buses full of prostitutes this year.
- Udinese are just gonna be Udinese. Tons of quality players are out the door (or in the case of Samarzic will be out the door soon), and they'll just reload and finish 12th. It's what they do.
- Sassuolo have also had a ton of squad turnover, par for the course for them, but it'll be a good test to see if Dionisi is actually ready to take a step up to a bigger club soon. Lauriente could build on his bright performances last year and break out, and Bajrami was an interesting pickup, but they need more from Pinamonti. If somehow Berardi does finally join Juve that'll be a massive blow (don't worry he'll never join Juve).
- Empoli seem a great risk to go down this year, imo. Vicario, Parisi and Bajrami were incredibly important players and are gone, and they seem to mostly be relying on loaned in players from Milan, Napoli and Juve to save them this year.
- Salernitana did well to hang on to Sousa as manager and to Dia as their striker. I don't think they're probable relegation candidates, especially if they do snag some talented youngsters from big clubs on loan as rumored.
- Lecce lost major components of last year's squad with Hjulmand sold to Sporting and Umtiti not coming back after his loan. I don't recognize most of their incoming players but their sporting director is considered a master at identifying undervalued players across the continent, so we'll see
- Hellas. gently caress you Hellas. Just go down already. I think they will this year, they haven't brought in anyone good and that squad looks like rear end.
- Genoa seem like good value to stay up. Retegui seems legit at this level, they're getting proven players in the league with Messias and Malinvskyi joining, and they have some legit talent in their back line.
- Cagliari's squad looks pretty sad to me. I think Ranieri is more likely to be sacked than to lead them to safety.
- Frosinone look pretty doomed to me too. They sold one of their top players to Sassuolo for €10m and only brought in bottom of the table journeymen and young nobodies, not to mention the fact that they parted ways with their manager over the summer too.

Official Predictions ™️

1. Napoli
2. Lazio
3. Inter
4. Juve
---
5. Milan
6. Atalanta
__
7. Fiorentina
---
8. Roma (and Mou leaving, maybe not during the season but definitely by end of season)
9. Bologna
10. Torino
11. Salernitana
12. Udinese
13. Sassuolo
14. Genoa
15. Monza
16. Lecce
17. Empoli
18. Hellas
19. Cagliari
20. Frosinone

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Juventus’s biggest advantage is not playing in anything other than the league The coppa Italia can be brushed off for the most part. This actually makes Allegri’s stupid non rotational oppressive style very effective. The players may not be up to the task with pure talent but everyone around Juve will be more tired and under more pressure.

Re: Napoli I’m nit sure if Garcia is going to be up to the task of defending a title; if he thought managing Roma was hard wait til he has to deal with De Laurentiis mid season. How long is Abraham out for anyway?

I last season I put Kvara’s drop in form to them having the title wrapped up relatively early. I think it’s a question of motivation with him; I do hope he gets back to that level because it’s great entertainment.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Gigi Galli posted:

Juventus’s biggest advantage is not playing in anything other than the league The coppa Italia can be brushed off for the most part. This actually makes Allegri’s stupid non rotational oppressive style very effective. The players may not be up to the task with pure talent but everyone around Juve will be more tired and under more pressure.
Yeah the conditions are there for Max to jihadiball his way to the top, especially if they can get like 2/3rds worth of Fiorentina-version Vlahovic and maybe like 10 good games out of Pogba. The shitshow way that the league handled their points deductions last year also took some wind out of their sails, and there seems to be general squad enthusiasm to be past that fiasco.

quote:

Re: Napoli I’m nit sure if Garcia is going to be up to the task of defending a title; if he thought managing Roma was hard wait til he has to deal with De Laurentiis mid season.
I think he just needs to do what Allegri did when he came into Juve after Conte and put the team on cruise control. Maybe that's too tall of a task for him, but they still are insanely strong. AFCON is looming too though I suppose.

quote:

How long is Abraham out for anyway?
It sounds like he's basically going to miss the whole season, last I saw he was projected for a return in April

quote:

I last season I put Kvara’s drop in form to them having the title wrapped up relatively early. I think it’s a question of motivation with him; I do hope he gets back to that level because it’s great entertainment.
Yeah that very well could be it, but it was still about the last full third of the year that he was well contained. Will be an interesting storyline to follow I think, but that said he'll probably have 3 assists Saturday.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

I caveat this post by admitting that I don’t follow Serie A as regularly as some of you do, so my thoughts may be off base (feel free to contradict me if so).

So, that said: Kvara’s drop in form last season, to me, seemed to coincided with a drop in form for Napoli as a whole. They limped out of Champions League to a Milan side they really should have beaten, and then there seemed to be several instances of “all they have to do tonight is X to clinch the league” before they actually went and did it.

All this is to say I suspect Kvara will be back to his entertaining, dominating self and that his drop in form was more a symptom of the whole rather than down to him specifically.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

This is the year of Fiorentina, thanks to the grand opening of the Rocco B. Commisso Viola Park Training Center.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Well so much h for that Hojlund replacement and I bet this keeps Zapata in Bergamo https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/1692866179432374602?s=61&t=Y730nRk9LTM-96xlz-JZnw

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/1692826296089272788?s=46&t=un3RLQHgWu9lXujo5tE2Wg

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

thanks, i hate it

also poolisic will be good for 3 matches until he get a hamstring injury that keeps him out for 4 months

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

juve merda

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Belotti with a brace and CDK scoring his first league goal.

poo poo is weird already.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

juve good now?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Simone Poodoin posted:

juve good now?

we got our 45 minutes of joy for the season out of the way, time for some corto muso

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Bro I love giroud

Excited for the new season

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Big Chris let’s go

sur le web
Oct 23, 2020

american messi

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
That was a tasty goal

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
You just gotta love seeing ex-Chelsea players flourish

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Pulisic man of the match is not something I expected.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Gigi Galli posted:

Pulisic man of the match is not something I expected.

He's always been really good, he just gets injured and then tuchel misused him. There's a weird thing where because american fans overhype him, a lot of european fans pretend he's poo poo. Very silly.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz2POjWqUMc

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/FootyAccums/status/1695165657677991960

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Good

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

for anyone watching milan v torino, was the pen decision as soft as reddit is making it out to be?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Doctor Teeth posted:

for anyone watching milan v torino, was the pen decision as soft as reddit is making it out to be?

Unbelievably

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
milan are good again

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

tbp posted:

milan are good again

They do in fact seem pretty good

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Doctor Teeth posted:

The first one yes, it was a pretty poo poo call. The second one was legit.

tbp posted:

milan are good again

Next week vs Mourinho is the first real test, though Juric usually sets up well against Pioli. I think that poo poo call for the first penalty deflated them. Roma, especially if Lukaku is there, could be a mess.

Milan’s weakness is the back 4; they just don’t seem to be operating as one. Calabria has always been pretty poo poo defensively against faster and more skilled players, but Tomori in particular has fallen off a cliff. It also doesn’t help that Krunic doesn’t cover like Tonali did and Loftus-Cheek is playing too far wide to really fill the defensive gap when Theo moves forward.

How bout this Pulisic guy? Never heard of him he seems pretty ok.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Gigi Galli posted:

How bout this Pulisic guy? Never heard of him he seems pretty ok.

some kind of slav?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Paramount+ has been so good for finally watching consistently Serie A again

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Milan were swarming toro before that first pen. It was a matter of time - the pressing and recovery was so high up the pitch. Torino were out-legged the whole way.

The first pen was soft, no doubt about that, but if it didn’t happen I still think Milan racks up 3-4. Toro couldn’t get into the game until Milan took their foot off the gas.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Mods rename GG "il Lebrone Giacomo del Calcio"

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Simone Poodoin posted:

Mods rename GG "il Lebrone Giacomo del Calcio"

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Pooventus