Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

losing to empoli, pathetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

absolutely pathetic showing from fiorentina

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I was laughing so much hearing some people hype up Fiorentina as a top 4 challenger. These guys are absolutely untrustworthy. They are so inconsistent. I knew they would get some random result soon enough. Losing to emploi at home is not what I expected though lol.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The best atmosphere in Italy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPZB84NghNg, still my favorite stadium I've been to.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gently caress off juve. corrupt league +6 minute bullshit

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

wtf are you on about, in the 2nd half during normal time there was a VAR check that included the ref going to the monitor for Kean's header, at least one other time where the ref held up play for VAR to look at a possible hand ball, multiple times where there were Hellas players lying on the ground so Juve kicked the ball out to touch, and 5 different sets of substitutions

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

trem_two posted:

wtf are you on about, in the 2nd half during normal time there was a VAR check that included the ref going to the monitor for Kean's header, at least one other time where the ref held up play for VAR to look at a possible hand ball, multiple times where there were Hellas players lying on the ground so Juve kicked the ball out to touch, and 5 different sets of substitutions

just want to see juventus fail

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

triple sulk posted:

just want to see juventus fail

hello FIGC

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
well I guess you can feel free to complain about Juve getting away with it, Gatti didn't get punished for this

https://twitter.com/Carloalvino/status/1718363029996278124

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Juventus is a very good and innocent team. Thank you.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

triple sulk posted:

always bet on juve

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Napoli currently losing to an ancient Olivier Giroud

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
MIlan have been absolutely cooking though

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Backdoor Delivery posted:

MIlan have been absolutely cooking though

Not sure how much is Napoli just looking really bad/Garcia being a lovely manager because Milan haven't looked anywhere near this good all season, at least certainly not Giroud.

Politano also really hosed up that freebie

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

HOLY poo poo

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

triple sulk posted:

HOLY poo poo

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
Most dangerous scoreline, game of two halves, you know the drill

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Pioli completely threw away 2 points here, what a disastrous managerial performance

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Literally came down to the last kick, wild match

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Milenkovic just handed Lazio a win

Really a shame because they were poo poo for pretty much the entire match

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Milan are frauds

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

triple sulk posted:

Milan are frauds

It's real bad.

Pioli has to get fired after we lose to PSG on Tuesday. There's simply no way forward and he's had too many chances at this point. I will forever respect the man for bringing a scudetto back after so long but he's obviously lost, injury crisis (which started in 2015 and hasn't stopped since) or not.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

It's real bad.

Pioli has to get fired after we lose to PSG on Tuesday. There's simply no way forward and he's had too many chances at this point. I will forever respect the man for bringing a scudetto back after so long but he's obviously lost, injury crisis (which started in 2015 and hasn't stopped since) or not.

I feel that's a bit harsh, he did have that run after getting eliminated from semis last season where they dropped a ton of pts. But usually they turn it around. I do think they deserved to win vs both Juve and Udinese so the dropped pts is a bit misleading.

There is the issue of his replacement as well. Conte could replace him but I don't think Conte will get along with this board since he loves to spend money and his playstyle is dreadful to watch these days. Pioli if nothing else is entertaining when it clicks.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Ulio posted:

I do think they deserved to win vs both Juve and Udinese

I personally don't think that they did. You might be able to argue that they deserved a draw in either of those matches but they did nothing to deserve a win imo.

Milan justifiably played with 10 men vs. Juve as a direct result of Pioli's insistence on playing a high line that leaves the CBs isolated in one-on-one defending situations. There's no cover, and it continually leads to suicidal defending choices for the CBs, and Maignan has to continually do heroic sweeper keeper poo poo (which has also led to him being sent off). Sure, it's a part of the Pioli system makes the attack fun to watch when it's clicking but it's also the reason why Inter continue to humiliate Milan in every league derby.

And the Udinese match was essentially the textbook definition of meaningless possession. Pioli's choice to play with 2 strikers didn't work at all, the forwards besides Leao were completely uninvolved, most of the times Silvestri was called on to make a save it was from shots by the Milan midfield and fullbacks from outside the penalty area. "Leao dribbles the entire team and inshallah" seemed to be the only strategy to get Giroud involved, and I literally have no idea what Jovic and Okafor did yesterday, you wouldn't even really know they were playing.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I agree at least a draw, maybe a win was taking it too far. I thought the other teams especially Juve didn't do much and it was a super lucky goal.

I do agree, Milan have lots of useless possession but it's not because the playstyle is bad. Actually most European teams try to play this type of tactic but Milan don't have a forward that's dynamic enough nor do they have a playmaker to feed him. Giroud is a good player but he would look brilliant on Inter or Roma where they spam crosses with guys like Dumfries or have great service from setpieces by Pellegrini. The problem is Milan is trying to play Man City/Brighton/Spurs type possession with a inverted fullback which leaves huge gaps to counterattack teams and they don't have centerbacks or cdms that are fast enough to track back. I do think this is one of the big mistakes vs Inter, Tomori was banned for that game and he is one of their fastest players. He could have helped in a lot of those counterattack situations where Kjaer was totally left for dead. We actually see this often with Brighton too, their cbs are not fast but they push super high so they have games where they will lose 0-6 to a bottom tier team parking the bus but will beat a team that presses or tries to play vs them. For Milan to beat top teams with this style they need another forward someone more dynamic like Lautaro/Aguero type who can create space for themselves, if they insist on using more traditional forwards than they need someone else to create chances with through balls, perhaps Bennacer who was playing as a CAM for them last season. Maddison/De Bruyne/Gavi can do that for their teams, last year Brighton had Mac Allister doing this now they are struggling with many draws without him. Also they probably need another pacey centerback as a backup and not rely on Kjaer if they are playing like this. Someone like Ndicka who went to Roma would have been a great buy for them. I do think Pioli avoided getting sacked after the horrible loss to Inter with a huge winning streak. But it could be back on the table with some pathetic results and failing it to make it out of the groups. PSG will play the possession style Milan is trying better than them because they have better players for it, bar Maignan/Theo who are better than their counterparts.

Watching Roma vs Lecce, man Roma are dreadful to watch under Jose. I do like their players but sometimes they literally can't string more than 4-5 passes together which makes no sense. He doesn't have them counterattacking spectacularly like he did with Real Madrid. They are just fun to watch if you enjoy watching defense(who does?) but I feel like their defense was better last year with Matic/Smalling.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Is Jose gone if this score holds or do they just resign themselves to a mid-table finish and let him finish out his contract?

Hopefully Fiorentina-Juve is a good match but it'll really depend on which Fiorentina side shows up today since they've had a couple really bad losses so far, including last week.

Edit: lol there's the draw

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
:stare:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ROMA HOLY gently caress ANOTHER LAST MINUTE COMEBACKL

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lmao lecce

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Fiorentina are an immensely frustrating team

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Juventus looked like utter poo poo and Fiorentina couldn't stop making terrible crosses right into the defenders

Inter are probably going to run away with it over the next few weeks

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

triple sulk posted:

Juventus looked like utter poo poo and Fiorentina couldn't stop making terrible crosses right into the defenders

Umm thats literally every Juve game away. They play like a last place team parking the bus and hoping for a draw. Allegri is just super pragmatic and he doesn't care about entertaining. If he is playing anyone in the top half they just park the bus. He would have celebrated even if it was a draw. Juve will get easy top 4 imo just because of this, they won't lose many games and once Chiesa/VLahovic return to form they should get enough wins vs poo poo teams.

Fiorentina definitely deserved something from this but I never believe in Fiorentina even when they were tied for first few weeks ago. They just play too aggressive which leaves room for any team that has good pace. Like that Inter game is a perfect example, Inter could have score 8 goals vs them probably. Vs teams that play more possession based like Napoli/AC Milan they do well.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Ulio posted:

Umm thats literally every Juve game away. They play like a last place team parking the bus and hoping for a draw. Allegri is just super pragmatic and he doesn't care about entertaining. If he is playing anyone in the top half they just park the bus. He would have celebrated even if it was a draw. Juve will get easy top 4 imo just because of this, they won't lose many games and once Chiesa/VLahovic return to form they should get enough wins vs poo poo teams.

Fiorentina definitely deserved something from this but I never believe in Fiorentina even when they were tied for first few weeks ago. They just play too aggressive which leaves room for any team that has good pace. Like that Inter game is a perfect example, Inter could have score 8 goals vs them probably. Vs teams that play more possession based like Napoli/AC Milan they do well.

I get parking the bus, it was mostly just agonizing to watch them fail crosses over and over and not really try anything different. I don't know what the problem is, be it tactics or simply needing better talent. Maybe both. I checked and they had 68% possession, and during the game it felt like it was higher. Two bad defensive mistakes have been the difference in as many games though (last week being a really dumb last minute handball).

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

triple sulk posted:

I get parking the bus, it was mostly just agonizing to watch them fail crosses over and over and not really try anything different. I don't know what the problem is, be it tactics or simply needing better talent. Maybe both. I checked and they had 68% possession, and during the game it felt like it was higher. Two bad defensive mistakes have been the difference in as many games though (last week being a really dumb last minute handball).

https://i.imgur.com/CFIP7PO.gifv

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/chiccochiesa_/status/1721300723747500499

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

triple sulk posted:

Sometimes you just meet a wall you can't break. This happens to even teams like City or Napoli last year then you get hit in one counterattack and lose the game. Thing is a team defensive like Juventus might fail to score goals vs weaker teams.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Ulio posted:

Sometimes you just meet a wall you can't break. This happens to even teams like City or Napoli last year then you get hit in one counterattack and lose the game. Thing is a team defensive like Juventus might fail to score goals vs weaker teams.

This has been a weakness of Milan until you go back to the Carletto days. The plan has since been to give it to your Fantasista (Leao currently and a bunch of players 1/4 of his skill before that) and pray. A good manager of a poo poo team always has Milan's number. Even a manager that just knows how to play an effective 1-0 on the counter style of game is good against Milan.

Anyway, the game yesterday is a perfect example of what this team is capable of when they play a simple, effective football with the their best players. There is no need to try and change the formation 3 times in a match, the players we have do not play well out of position. That's just how it is, nobody is a real world beater in this team 100% of the time and nobody is a world beater out of position.

triple sulk posted:

If Inter had Milan's luck (and doctors) they would be in the same position. They have been lucky with the calendar and injuries. I don't think anyone is uncatchable by anyone else yet, though I agree that Inter definitely do look the best and Lautauro is infuriatingly on form and has been for some time.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

This has been a weakness of Milan until you go back to the Carletto days. The plan has since been to give it to your Fantasista (Leao currently and a bunch of players 1/4 of his skill before that) and pray. A good manager of a poo poo team always has Milan's number. Even a manager that just knows how to play an effective 1-0 on the counter style of game is good against Milan.

Anyway, the game yesterday is a perfect example of what this team is capable of when they play a simple, effective football with the their best players. There is no need to try and change the formation 3 times in a match, the players we have do not play well out of position. That's just how it is, nobody is a real world beater in this team 100% of the time and nobody is a world beater out of position.

If Inter had Milan's luck (and doctors) they would be in the same position. They have been lucky with the calendar and injuries. I don't think anyone is uncatchable by anyone else yet, though I agree that Inter definitely do look the best and Lautauro is infuriatingly on form and has been for some time.

One of the issues has been for Milan is trying to invert Calabria like he is Zinchenko, literally only Man City have been able to do the formation change with possession vs no possesion super well. Calabria is just fine as a defender and he definitely doesn't have the quality to play midfield. I think Ruben Loftus Cheek is immense for Milan, he was out for like a month and just came on as a sub vs Udinese. But this guy is such quality, Ugarte isn't a push around but he just bossed him in that game yesterday. He is big, strong and fast but at the same time very technically good with the ball. Kinda reminds me of a Naingolan, Vidal and Gerrard with his strong runs in the middle. Of course he is lacking in many other areas those players were great at. Also I think yesterday is like the first time I've seen Leao cover so much? He was literally doing sliding tackles.

Ya you are right about Inter's luck with injuries, it seems like they usually just get their backup players who are injured, last year it was Correa this year Arnautovic. I do think as long as they don't lose Lautaro they are fine. They have decent backups in midfield and defense with players like Assalani, Frattesi, Darmian, Bisseck.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Inter's 2nd string squad would qualify for the Europa League

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

LMAO WHAT A GOAL