Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Milan are so fun to watch. The quick build up with Krunic Reinjders and Loftus Cheek has been great. They are playing at Premier League pace in Serie A which is a joy to watch. Only thing is I think Brahim would be as good as Pulisic with this midfield and Calabria doing the inverted fullback. They still need a big test to see if these guys can play like this vs a decent team. Tonali's defensive work definitely helped in those games.

Also Leao is still doing Leao things, him and Theo remind of Ronaldo + Marcelo down on that left. They just are a nightmare to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

it's a shame you have to pay for it because I don't like the idea of subsidizing any sort of life that Mike Grella is leading.

Leao has actually looked kinda weak so far this season. I mean, relative to his usual self, which is loads better than most players in this league. It would be good if he can get a goal against Roma.

Didn't see their first game but in the 2nd game he was good till he got taken off. Looked like their best attacking player, Pulisic kinda started getting the ball more often after he was taken off and looked better from then on. He had an assist for Theo and got the pen.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

Yeah it could be that since there are actual options on the right now things looks different. Every attack went down the left last season which meant Leao had the ball all the time.

Anyway, Dybala and Lukaku are both in the list for the game tomorrow though neither is expected to start.

I think even more than Dybala, Roma are missing Mou. I know it's weird to say but Jose halftime talk could have made a difference vs those weak teams. Roma's attack looked good even without Dybala but somehow their defense has been horrible. Not sure when their new signing Ndicka will start because Mancini/Smalling/Llorente don't look as good as last year.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Rui Patricio giving Milan a penalty under 10 minutes lol. He is having a horrid season, definitely need to replace him.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nuclear Spoon posted:

RLC being at milan is crazy to me

He's been the 2nd best signing after Pulisic. He looks so strong and fast going forward. Great with little space and technically good as well. Not usually you associate with big physical guys.

Roma just have 0 creativity or pace. 0 creativity without Dybala and 0 pace without Tammy. So their counter attacks are poo poo and they are not technically good enough to keep possession. Lukaku + belotti could be good for them though if they are just gonna do long balls and hope for set pieces. El Sharawayy as 2nd striker is useless though.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Roma really missing Dybala. I do think with Dybala + Lukaku + Belotti they do have a decent attack. They are currently just missing the creative player and Aour got injured.

Milan look quite good, their possesion play is even better than last year and all the right players have gotten goals. Big boost for Leao confidence(like he needed any), Giroud another goal and Pulisic still looking clean.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

Pulisic was a hair away from another goal, Rui Patricio might have made up for that penalty by saving that.

Speaking of, I thought the penalty was pretty weak but there was contact and I’m obviously not bothered but I can see the usual suspects getting all agitated by it. It’s the second “soft” penalty in two games so not a great look for the refs.

Tomori getting sent off sucks because we play Inter next. I don’t think Kjaer can manage a whole match and the others aren’t up to the task. Just have to score more I guess, which at least doesn’t look like a problem this year.

That Rafa goal though :henget:

Pulisic is so drat good, I know he had that spell during covid when he was looking reall good, this looks like that. He reminds me of someone like Mata or Pedro, he just wriggles away from defenders and his acceleration from 0 to 100 is very good. He doesn't have the flair or top speed of a Leao but Leao is probably the fastest player in the league.

Gigi Galli posted:

He's good, bit mad that Milan didn't get that done since it was supposedly wrapped up before the Tonali sale.

Hell ya that wouldn't have been good. Honda was one of my favorite AC Milan players of his era, too bad it was one of the worst periods for the club.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Thuram MOTM for me, Thiaw could absolutely not handle him. The derby looked so interesting on paper and it was until it wasn't. I know Dumfries always does a great job vs Leao but I thought Pulisic on the right and the stronger midfield would make for it. But Milan just created way too little chances.

Small prize for Milan is they get to finally make Inter concede a goal even. As for Inter they definitely look like the same team from the last few months of Serie A. Absolutely on fire and Thuram looks like a great replacement for Lukaku. Everyoen asking Inzaghi to drop Mikhyi for Fratessi but he ends up looking like a genius by getting two goals and an assist.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Milan vs Verona was such a borefest. Hopefully Maignan, Hernandez, Calabria aren't injured for too long.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

It's a shame Roma won today but it was probably inevitable.

I also think Allegri and Mourinho are bringing teams down to their level extra bad this season; the Atalanta - Juve match was abysmal.

Actually having watched Roma games, they actually attack alot and are not playing like a typical Mourinho terrorist football especially this season, they rank high in alot of attacking stats even before the 7-1 win over Empoli. The only game they looked meh was vs Milan but I would say Milan is a level above them so it wasn't that bad. The Genoa game they were the better side for most of the game and score 4-1 makes it seem like they got destroyed. Worrying thing is that Roma has faced mostly weaker teams so them dropping this many points is worrying once their fixture gets tougher. Also last season they had one of the best defenses but this year they can't seem to defend at all.

Ya my guess would be Italiano. I feel like this was the perfect season to get someone like Italiano, no European football, basic expectation is to get to CL thats it. He would have 1 year to get Juve to play his style and not worry about Europe. I am surprised Italiano is still at Fiorentina honestly, he seems similar to De Zerbi at Sassuolo to me a few years ago.Thiago Motta also has done well with Bologna with not much. Gasperini might just stay at a smaller club with lower expectations, he looked horrible at Inter but lookd great in Genoa and Atalanta.

Also De Zerbi is an outside shout, I feel like Man United and Juve might be options for him by the end of the season. I watch a lot of his interviews and i feel like he knows they kinda hit their limit with this squad, he is complaining way more about fixture congestion and his squad this season. I definitely feel like he will leave after this. Its gonna be really hard to top last year's position.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Crazy finish for a somewhat boring game. On the bigger picture Milan overtake Inter who kinda have looked shaky in the defense after an excellent start of the season.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I really didn't like this year of Serie A because there weren't any scandals, it ain't serie a without scandals. Now we got a proper season going, Giroud loving playing goalkeeper, ADL wanting to sack his manager and a betting scandal.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I was laughing so much hearing some people hype up Fiorentina as a top 4 challenger. These guys are absolutely untrustworthy. They are so inconsistent. I knew they would get some random result soon enough. Losing to emploi at home is not what I expected though lol.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The best atmosphere in Italy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPZB84NghNg, still my favorite stadium I've been to.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

triple sulk posted:

gently caress off juve. corrupt league +6 minute bullshit

always bet on juve

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

It's real bad.

Pioli has to get fired after we lose to PSG on Tuesday. There's simply no way forward and he's had too many chances at this point. I will forever respect the man for bringing a scudetto back after so long but he's obviously lost, injury crisis (which started in 2015 and hasn't stopped since) or not.

I feel that's a bit harsh, he did have that run after getting eliminated from semis last season where they dropped a ton of pts. But usually they turn it around. I do think they deserved to win vs both Juve and Udinese so the dropped pts is a bit misleading.

There is the issue of his replacement as well. Conte could replace him but I don't think Conte will get along with this board since he loves to spend money and his playstyle is dreadful to watch these days. Pioli if nothing else is entertaining when it clicks.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I agree at least a draw, maybe a win was taking it too far. I thought the other teams especially Juve didn't do much and it was a super lucky goal.

I do agree, Milan have lots of useless possession but it's not because the playstyle is bad. Actually most European teams try to play this type of tactic but Milan don't have a forward that's dynamic enough nor do they have a playmaker to feed him. Giroud is a good player but he would look brilliant on Inter or Roma where they spam crosses with guys like Dumfries or have great service from setpieces by Pellegrini. The problem is Milan is trying to play Man City/Brighton/Spurs type possession with a inverted fullback which leaves huge gaps to counterattack teams and they don't have centerbacks or cdms that are fast enough to track back. I do think this is one of the big mistakes vs Inter, Tomori was banned for that game and he is one of their fastest players. He could have helped in a lot of those counterattack situations where Kjaer was totally left for dead. We actually see this often with Brighton too, their cbs are not fast but they push super high so they have games where they will lose 0-6 to a bottom tier team parking the bus but will beat a team that presses or tries to play vs them. For Milan to beat top teams with this style they need another forward someone more dynamic like Lautaro/Aguero type who can create space for themselves, if they insist on using more traditional forwards than they need someone else to create chances with through balls, perhaps Bennacer who was playing as a CAM for them last season. Maddison/De Bruyne/Gavi can do that for their teams, last year Brighton had Mac Allister doing this now they are struggling with many draws without him. Also they probably need another pacey centerback as a backup and not rely on Kjaer if they are playing like this. Someone like Ndicka who went to Roma would have been a great buy for them. I do think Pioli avoided getting sacked after the horrible loss to Inter with a huge winning streak. But it could be back on the table with some pathetic results and failing it to make it out of the groups. PSG will play the possession style Milan is trying better than them because they have better players for it, bar Maignan/Theo who are better than their counterparts.

Watching Roma vs Lecce, man Roma are dreadful to watch under Jose. I do like their players but sometimes they literally can't string more than 4-5 passes together which makes no sense. He doesn't have them counterattacking spectacularly like he did with Real Madrid. They are just fun to watch if you enjoy watching defense(who does?) but I feel like their defense was better last year with Matic/Smalling.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ROMA HOLY gently caress ANOTHER LAST MINUTE COMEBACKL

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

triple sulk posted:

Juventus looked like utter poo poo and Fiorentina couldn't stop making terrible crosses right into the defenders

Inter are probably going to run away with it over the next few weeks

Umm thats literally every Juve game away. They play like a last place team parking the bus and hoping for a draw. Allegri is just super pragmatic and he doesn't care about entertaining. If he is playing anyone in the top half they just park the bus. He would have celebrated even if it was a draw. Juve will get easy top 4 imo just because of this, they won't lose many games and once Chiesa/VLahovic return to form they should get enough wins vs poo poo teams.

Fiorentina definitely deserved something from this but I never believe in Fiorentina even when they were tied for first few weeks ago. They just play too aggressive which leaves room for any team that has good pace. Like that Inter game is a perfect example, Inter could have score 8 goals vs them probably. Vs teams that play more possession based like Napoli/AC Milan they do well.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

triple sulk posted:

I get parking the bus, it was mostly just agonizing to watch them fail crosses over and over and not really try anything different. I don't know what the problem is, be it tactics or simply needing better talent. Maybe both. I checked and they had 68% possession, and during the game it felt like it was higher. Two bad defensive mistakes have been the difference in as many games though (last week being a really dumb last minute handball).

Sometimes you just meet a wall you can't break. This happens to even teams like City or Napoli last year then you get hit in one counterattack and lose the game. Thing is a team defensive like Juventus might fail to score goals vs weaker teams.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

This has been a weakness of Milan until you go back to the Carletto days. The plan has since been to give it to your Fantasista (Leao currently and a bunch of players 1/4 of his skill before that) and pray. A good manager of a poo poo team always has Milan's number. Even a manager that just knows how to play an effective 1-0 on the counter style of game is good against Milan.

Anyway, the game yesterday is a perfect example of what this team is capable of when they play a simple, effective football with the their best players. There is no need to try and change the formation 3 times in a match, the players we have do not play well out of position. That's just how it is, nobody is a real world beater in this team 100% of the time and nobody is a world beater out of position.

If Inter had Milan's luck (and doctors) they would be in the same position. They have been lucky with the calendar and injuries. I don't think anyone is uncatchable by anyone else yet, though I agree that Inter definitely do look the best and Lautauro is infuriatingly on form and has been for some time.

One of the issues has been for Milan is trying to invert Calabria like he is Zinchenko, literally only Man City have been able to do the formation change with possession vs no possesion super well. Calabria is just fine as a defender and he definitely doesn't have the quality to play midfield. I think Ruben Loftus Cheek is immense for Milan, he was out for like a month and just came on as a sub vs Udinese. But this guy is such quality, Ugarte isn't a push around but he just bossed him in that game yesterday. He is big, strong and fast but at the same time very technically good with the ball. Kinda reminds me of a Naingolan, Vidal and Gerrard with his strong runs in the middle. Of course he is lacking in many other areas those players were great at. Also I think yesterday is like the first time I've seen Leao cover so much? He was literally doing sliding tackles.

Ya you are right about Inter's luck with injuries, it seems like they usually just get their backup players who are injured, last year it was Correa this year Arnautovic. I do think as long as they don't lose Lautaro they are fine. They have decent backups in midfield and defense with players like Assalani, Frattesi, Darmian, Bisseck.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

I would really like to hear Pioli's explanation for subbing out Calabria and putting in Musah at right back when he had Florenzi sitting right here, who he ultimately did put in 20 minutes too late? Is he actively trying to get canned? I can't even blame Musah (though the second goal was entirely his fault) because that's wildly out of position. He has completely lost it, again.

I feel like he is trying to rotate like Inter when he doesn't have the squad for it. Ya fatigue and injuries can happen but you just gotta risk it with this squad. Start with your best players like Loftus Cheek and then take him off at the end. You got a international break anyway and this guy doesn't play for England.

Just watched Juve vs Cagliari. I sometimes get the urge to watch Juve because I love Locatelli, Chiesa and Vlahovic but then I watch them and forget Allegri ball. 49% possession, 2 set piece goals vs a bottom 5 team. I guess that's the Juve way, just win no matter how ugly. But I feel like it's a waste of talent, if they had Spaletti, De Zerbi or Italiano this team would be cooking.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nuclear Spoon posted:

how many games does garcia have left

Well in the last international break ADL tried to replace him with Conte but Conte declined. Napoli are lucky though that everyone except Inter & Juve are dropping random points. Fiorentina lost to Empoli even more convincgly at home. So Napoli aren't that behind in the top 4 race. I do think Rudi Garcia is underperforming though even with Osimhen out they should be winning these and their playstyle to me is boring compared to last year. But Conte isn't necessarily known for his beautiful football. Another thing is that Conte is the original lover of the back 3 and wingback formation. But Napoli's weakest point is their cbs imo so you don't want to play another one.

Its crazy to think Roma could be 5th if they win vs Lazio, although I slightly prefer Lazio for the derby since they have some decent wins like Napoli, Feyenoord while Roma have more wins but vs complete poo poo teams.

E:Pretty boring derby. Both team just seemed dead tired by the 2nd half.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 12, 2023

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Lol, this is such a trash move. If they win it's not because of him. Maybe he can bring back the vibes from last season.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Holy shite mayte Fiorentina deserved a draw there but Mike Maignan with a MOTM performance.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

triple sulk posted:

Second match they've lost this season 1-0 by giving up a single penalty, it's infuriating. I'm not 100% sure on that non-call, either. Milan are even more boring to watch without Giroud or Leao.

Was that the Juve game, I remember that being equally as frustrating for them but I thought Juve scored a random header or something.

Gigi Galli posted:

They deserved to win really, lol. Mike absolutely man of the match. It was the same exact poo poo as it was against Lecce before the break and Napoli before that (and Udinese too really). Second half shitshow after a decent enough first half.

Ya I missed most of the first half so I didn't know if Milan dominated as much early on but going off from where I saw it definitely seemed like Fiorentina at the very least deserved a pt or a more. To be fair to Milan, Jovic should have put them up 2-0 and game was over. Theo had a insane through ball to him but Jovic doing Jovic things hitting too close to the keeper.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dybala and Lukaku looked like they were finally building synergy. Dybala goes for a tackle and injuries himself. If I was Mourinho I would tell Dybala to do the bare minimum, not sure why he is jumping into tackles.

IT's crazy the career he has had despite being so injury prone especially last 2-3 years.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

triple sulk posted:

Love to watch Fiorentina maintain most of the possession and do absolutely nothing with it every week

Roma vs Fiorentina was an absolute hilarious game to watch. Both teams have the opposite problem.

Roma has a clinical sriker but 0 service, it's astonishing that Lukaku has 7 goals this season and none are pens lol. Without Dybala, this Roma team lacks any creativity. Jose literally cannot beat any top team but he just grinds out every weak team so he ends up with 5-6th spot.

Fiorentina meanwhile have the great tactics by Italiano to always play brave, keep the ball on the ground, play from the back. They create many chances with their wingers/fullbacks Biraghi, Nico Gonzales, Ikone and Bonaventure as the 10. Problem is their strikers are weak. Beltran started off looking promising but he doesn't score and Nzola was great at Spezia but they were not playing heavy possession style like Fiorentina. So it's not using his pace which is one of his best assets.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Bologna in 4th place with that squad is amazing. Thiago Motta showing Mourinho how you play proper football. I really despise Allegri/Mourinho football.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I don't think Bologna will be able to keep this up but they have no competiton and without injuries they should have a good placement.

Definitely feel like this is the year where Motta gets a promotion and maybe takes one of his players with him. There were rumors that PSG were looking at him but he was not proven at the highest level.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The Udinese with Fabio Quagirella - Di Natale - Sanchez was something special. All three could score wonder goals.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i don't think i've seen any manager get red carded as much as mourinho

Honestly it was a big foul on Lukaku, don't know how that was not a yellow card atleast. I didn't see Mourinho bitch too much.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I saw the odds of Milan vs Roma right before kick off. Man how wrong were the odds. Milan should have been massive favorites. Roma failed to win vs them v 10 men at Olimpico with Dybala. Not sure how it was so close when Roma had no Dybala, no Mourinho and at San Siro. Also other than AC Milans centerbacks and Bennacer that Milan lineup was as good as it gets.

I do think Roma for once played well, they managed to pass the ball around quite well especially the first 10 minutes. Their strategy wasn't just to give Mancini the ball and long ball it into Lukaku for a layoff.

E; Also I love roma because I have been betting vs them vs every top 6 team and it's been great for my beer money. This team literally cannot beat any decent team especially with no Dybala.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 15, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

Pioli has never lost to Mourinho. He’s played 6 games against him and had 4 wins and 2 draws. Apparently that’s the most anyone’s ever accomplished against him. Lmao.

I actually think Milan flattered Roma during parts of the second half. Maignan made two good but not breathtaking saves that I’ve seen him make before and Calabria had the usual brain fart, otherwise Roma were barely threatening.

Ironically they looked like Milan playing against Inter the last couple years. Just lost but with a decent amount of relatively meaningless possession.

Ya I was surprised how low Milan played. I have watched many Roma games at the start of the season, stopped whenever Dybala is not there because they are unwatchable.

But it was a great strategy from Pioli, Roma can't do anything with possession especially without Dybala and Pellegrini out of form(now for 2 years lol).

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Bit harsh even though they played poo poo football they are still in EL knockout round and only 5pts away from top 5.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mama mia thats a loving Fifa finesse goal by Vlahovic

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Roma looked a bit better with DDR atleast first half.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

In other news, Gigi Riva passed away yesterday. He's still Italy's top international scorer even after nearly 50 years, and a Cagliari bandiera for being the protagonist in their one and only title, playing with the club for nearly all of his professional career.

During the suprecup final yesterday, they held a minute of silence for him and the Saudi "fans" whistled it. Class acts.

Ya I saw that. They whistled for Beckenbauer's minute of silence too. Most classiest fans, those saudis.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Pioli hasn't been that bad tbf. Got to UCL semis, won the scudetto albeit he only finished 4th thanks to Juve's deducted pts last season. But I have enjoyed the football he has tried to play, I am not a big fan of the old school Italian playstyle that the likes of Conte and Allegri play. I feel like the fans expectation of this team are too high, as soon as they go on a losing streak they ask for Pioli's head. Getting regularly smashed by Inter hasn't helped Pioli backers either.

I think Conte will deliver results but...This really doesn't seem like a Conte team to me. Conte doesn't really work well with young players, while Milan's project seems to be just buy promising young players and hopefully flip them for a fortune. So it just doesn't seem aligned to me. I would have rather gone with Thiago Motta or Italiano. They play closer football to Pioli and work well with youngsters. Also I feel like with Leao and Giroud most likely out this summer, you got a decent chunk of money and wages to sign someone like Joshua Zirkzee, he has already worked with Motta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

GreatestLurker posted:

Best defense, best attack, best goal difference, most clean sheets in the top five leagues. First time in Serie A a team has scored four goals four matches in a row. This league is being eaten alive.

Ya they are no Napoli in terms of playstyle but man they are entertaining, which is something I haven't said for a Inter side for like ever.

It's crazy because they play 3 cbs so their defense is insanely good and that's kinda what their team is setup to do. But their counterattacks are so deadly. A guy like Bastoni can start it off or Pavard, their cbs have such good long range passing.