Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I am an old man and I am too lazy to make an actual thread this year. So lazy in fact that I’m doing this on my phone while sitting on the couch, much like the league does all of it’s business.

Napoli won last year for the first time since Big Diego did a pile of blow and went to training 5 minutes later. It was well deserved and they were excellent to watch.

Lazio finished in the top 4 somehow? Sarri good?

Juventus received a points deduction for overvaluing their players in the market in order to manipulate the value of the club itself, among other things. As we all know crimes against the shareholders are the most heinous so not only did they miss out on the champions league, they were also ordered to play in the conference league. Wisely they negotiated a way to pay someone to get out of actually doing that.

Inter and Milan contested a champions league semifinal despite both teams playing pretty loving terribly for the back half of the season. Romelu Lukaku managed to make Inter fans hate him by being a big moron and/or having the worst publicist on earth. Sandro Tonali was sold to Newcastle for several American binmen and some maybe decent players you may have heard of on FM.

Fiorentina and Roma went to European finals and shat the bed.

The rest of the teams were bad, especially Spezia who not only got relegated but did so in a special tie breaker match against Hellas, who could have finally hosed off but nooooooo

Anyway every team in the top four lost at least one very influential player (Kim, Milinkovic-Savic, Lukaku, Tonali) so there will be some shakeups. I actually expect this season to be pretty competitive. Oh and Genoa is back and have quietly assembled a pretty nice looking team.

Sorry about the poo poo thread!!! SPIASSE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Supposedly the refs are going to adopt the world cup added time rules, meaning they'll actually play much longer. Bari and Palermo had something like a total of 25 minutes of added time today in Serie B so we'll see if they're actually serious. I have my doubts, especially when it's Allegri or god forbid Conte time if he comes back.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

also this happened

lol yes extremely important, he's fuckin dead.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Juventus’s biggest advantage is not playing in anything other than the league The coppa Italia can be brushed off for the most part. This actually makes Allegri’s stupid non rotational oppressive style very effective. The players may not be up to the task with pure talent but everyone around Juve will be more tired and under more pressure.

Re: Napoli I’m nit sure if Garcia is going to be up to the task of defending a title; if he thought managing Roma was hard wait til he has to deal with De Laurentiis mid season. How long is Abraham out for anyway?

I last season I put Kvara’s drop in form to them having the title wrapped up relatively early. I think it’s a question of motivation with him; I do hope he gets back to that level because it’s great entertainment.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Well so much h for that Hojlund replacement and I bet this keeps Zapata in Bergamo https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/1692866179432374602?s=61&t=Y730nRk9LTM-96xlz-JZnw

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/1692826296089272788?s=46&t=un3RLQHgWu9lXujo5tE2Wg

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Belotti with a brace and CDK scoring his first league goal.

poo poo is weird already.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Pulisic man of the match is not something I expected.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Good

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Doctor Teeth posted:

for anyone watching milan v torino, was the pen decision as soft as reddit is making it out to be?

The first one yes, it was a pretty poo poo call. The second one was legit.

tbp posted:

milan are good again

Next week vs Mourinho is the first real test, though Juric usually sets up well against Pioli. I think that poo poo call for the first penalty deflated them. Roma, especially if Lukaku is there, could be a mess.

Milan’s weakness is the back 4; they just don’t seem to be operating as one. Calabria has always been pretty poo poo defensively against faster and more skilled players, but Tomori in particular has fallen off a cliff. It also doesn’t help that Krunic doesn’t cover like Tonali did and Loftus-Cheek is playing too far wide to really fill the defensive gap when Theo moves forward.

How bout this Pulisic guy? Never heard of him he seems pretty ok.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

The Finn posted:

Paramount+ has been so good for finally watching consistently Serie A again

it's a shame you have to pay for it because I don't like the idea of subsidizing any sort of life that Mike Grella is leading.

Ulio posted:

Milan are so fun to watch. The quick build up with Krunic Reinjders and Loftus Cheek has been great. They are playing at Premier League pace in Serie A which is a joy to watch. Only thing is I think Brahim would be as good as Pulisic with this midfield and Calabria doing the inverted fullback. They still need a big test to see if these guys can play like this vs a decent team. Tonali's defensive work definitely helped in those games.

Also Leao is still doing Leao things, him and Theo remind of Ronaldo + Marcelo down on that left. They just are a nightmare to deal with.

Leao has actually looked kinda weak so far this season. I mean, relative to his usual self, which is loads better than most players in this league. It would be good if he can get a goal against Roma.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Ulio posted:

Didn't see their first game but in the 2nd game he was good till he got taken off. Looked like their best attacking player, Pulisic kinda started getting the ball more often after he was taken off and looked better from then on. He had an assist for Theo and got the pen.

Yeah it could be that since there are actual options on the right now things looks different. Every attack went down the left last season which meant Leao had the ball all the time.

Anyway, Dybala and Lukaku are both in the list for the game tomorrow though neither is expected to start.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Pulisic was a hair away from another goal, Rui Patricio might have made up for that penalty by saving that.

Speaking of, I thought the penalty was pretty weak but there was contact and I’m obviously not bothered but I can see the usual suspects getting all agitated by it. It’s the second “soft” penalty in two games so not a great look for the refs.

Tomori getting sent off sucks because we play Inter next. I don’t think Kjaer can manage a whole match and the others aren’t up to the task. Just have to score more I guess, which at least doesn’t look like a problem this year.

That Rafa goal though :henget:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

He's good, bit mad that Milan didn't get that done since it was supposedly wrapped up before the Tonali sale.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

triple sulk posted:

Fiorentina are not very good

They played like poo poo today, not that inter wasn’t good but that was a horrible performance both defensively and basically handing inter counterattack opportunities on the other end.

Thuram looks dece. Annoying.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

tbp posted:

i was wrong

The amount of trophies over the 5 derbies we have lost is the same among both teams.

I blame Pioli for doing the same loving thing for the last 3 seasons. The players are there, and we can absolutely take it to these bin men. Just ridiculously planned out; credit to Inzaghi for having Pioli's singular number.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

triple sulk posted:

Well deserved win for Fiorentina, they controlled the entire second half

Honestly other than the first 20 minutes or so I thought they controlled the whole game.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

The Juventus Sassuolo game was probably the best comedy game I've seen in years. Benny Hill football.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

It was a poo poo match but I can would blame that on the 3-4-3/3-5-2 formation that Pioli decided to play. Agreed that we desperately need Theo back, though I thought Florenzi played well in Calabria's position.

Unironically hoping to see Adli get his chance since Krunic is going to be out for 2+ matches, but I bet it'll be more Pobega.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Sfinter

tristeham posted:

adli is good

He’s

That Berardi goal was a banger.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

nawilo_420 posted:

you have to lol

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

It's a shame Roma won today but it was probably inevitable.

I also think Allegri and Mourinho are bringing teams down to their level extra bad this season; the Atalanta - Juve match was abysmal.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

The problem with the current allegri iteration is that everyone knows how it ends if they sack him. Who can replace him at the price Juve can afford? You’d have to take a huge gamble on someone like Di Francesco (who has shown he can be good but he can also be insanely bad) or get someone from another league, which is likely even harder to get right. I can’t imagine Juve’s next manager is going to be a big name given the financial issues at play.

Allegri’s Jihad-ball is good enough to get to the champions league and that’s what will keep him in place until his contract is up.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

It sold out within hours lol

He's also still listed as a goalkeeper on the club website

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Happened so quickly too, just soaked overnight

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

triple sulk posted:

Milan are frauds

It's real bad.

Pioli has to get fired after we lose to PSG on Tuesday. There's simply no way forward and he's had too many chances at this point. I will forever respect the man for bringing a scudetto back after so long but he's obviously lost, injury crisis (which started in 2015 and hasn't stopped since) or not.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Ulio posted:

Sometimes you just meet a wall you can't break. This happens to even teams like City or Napoli last year then you get hit in one counterattack and lose the game. Thing is a team defensive like Juventus might fail to score goals vs weaker teams.

This has been a weakness of Milan until you go back to the Carletto days. The plan has since been to give it to your Fantasista (Leao currently and a bunch of players 1/4 of his skill before that) and pray. A good manager of a poo poo team always has Milan's number. Even a manager that just knows how to play an effective 1-0 on the counter style of game is good against Milan.

Anyway, the game yesterday is a perfect example of what this team is capable of when they play a simple, effective football with the their best players. There is no need to try and change the formation 3 times in a match, the players we have do not play well out of position. That's just how it is, nobody is a real world beater in this team 100% of the time and nobody is a world beater out of position.

triple sulk posted:

Juventus looked like utter poo poo and Fiorentina couldn't stop making terrible crosses right into the defenders

Inter are probably going to run away with it over the next few weeks

If Inter had Milan's luck (and doctors) they would be in the same position. They have been lucky with the calendar and injuries. I don't think anyone is uncatchable by anyone else yet, though I agree that Inter definitely do look the best and Lautauro is infuriatingly on form and has been for some time.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I would really like to hear Pioli's explanation for subbing out Calabria and putting in Musah at right back when he had Florenzi sitting right here, who he ultimately did put in 20 minutes too late? Is he actively trying to get canned? I can't even blame Musah (though the second goal was entirely his fault) because that's wildly out of position. He has completely lost it, again.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Ulio posted:

Holy shite mayte Fiorentina deserved a draw there but Mike Maignan with a MOTM performance.

They deserved to win really, lol. Mike absolutely man of the match. It was the same exact poo poo as it was against Lecce before the break and Napoli before that (and Udinese too really). Second half shitshow after a decent enough first half.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Ulio posted:

Ya I missed most of the first half so I didn't know if Milan dominated as much early on but going off from where I saw it definitely seemed like Fiorentina at the very least deserved a pt or a more. To be fair to Milan, Jovic should have put them up 2-0 and game was over. Theo had a insane through ball to him but Jovic doing Jovic things hitting too close to the keeper.

Yeah the first half was a story of Milan not being able to finish some real sitters and Terracciano standing on his head.

Anybody catch the Empoli - Sassuolo match? Annoyed I missed that, the scoreline looks wild.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Good.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I think this is pure media bullshit since Ibrahimovic has been hanging around the team and Abate is the primavera coach. It’s the “logical” choice. I can’t see Pioli getting canned until we’re out of the CL and out of the top four which can’t happen for 2 weeks.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Buon Natale coglioni

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

:discourse:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Pioli has never lost to Mourinho. He’s played 6 games against him and had 4 wins and 2 draws. Apparently that’s the most anyone’s ever accomplished against him. Lmao.

I actually think Milan flattered Roma during parts of the second half. Maignan made two good but not breathtaking saves that I’ve seen him make before and Calabria had the usual brain fart, otherwise Roma were barely threatening.

Ironically they looked like Milan playing against Inter the last couple years. Just lost but with a decent amount of relatively meaningless possession.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Eat poo poo, clowns. Enjoy Serie B.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Udinese have identified 1 of the guys who racially abused Maignan and have banned him for life and the sporting courts have handed the club a punishment of 1 game in a closed stadium so far. It's a start.

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 23, 2024

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

In other news, Gigi Riva passed away yesterday. He's still Italy's top international scorer even after nearly 50 years, and a Cagliari bandiera for being the protagonist in their one and only title, playing with the club for nearly all of his professional career.

During the suprecup final yesterday, they held a minute of silence for him and the Saudi "fans" whistled it. Class acts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Ulio posted:

Ya I saw that. They whistled for Beckenbauer's minute of silence too. Most classiest fans, those saudis.

I had forgotten about that; amazing.