Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
holy FUK is everything sharp

I couldn't read a license plate 15 yards away before I got these and now it's like I'm living in a new world

I'm 33 and have astigmatism/near sightedness probably from being jacked in to the net since 1998 glowing square staring all-day

after the optician tested me in the machine he let me try the strength out with these weird ugly steampunk goggles and I swear it was like I was on a 2 gram shroom trip, that sharp and vivid

It took me a while to adjust to the distortion, the floor felt very off at first but now its fine

anyway, what I really posted this thread for is tips on keeping the lenses absolutely spotless and clean

I've been using dish soap and cool water with a microfiber cloth but its a loving hassle and usually I end up smudging them because my fabric has already absorbed some grease

is there an easier way??? can I just let them air dry or something?? are there kits??????

Theenks for reading fellow four-eyed dork(s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I just use my shirt op, breathe on them to fog them up and quickly wipe them off. Has always worked like a charm.

My wife insists on using dish soap but I fail to see the point

I bought my mom an ultrasonic bath like opticians use because she asked for one, if you really want them to be extra spotless, that's your ticket

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7_QQn_2McM

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
get contacts

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Congrats on your heightened senses OP. Have you considered wiping your lenses with your T shirt?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Dish soap on your glasses is a good way to ruin them

Some of the fancy coatings at least. Easier to just use lens wipes or something

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I just rinse them under the tap and then give them a wipe with something that won't leave particles or fibres behind (kitchen wipe, facial tissue)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

AEMINAL posted:

[b]anyway, what I really posted this thread for is tips on keeping the lenses absolutely spotless and clean
You can’t. Accept that fact now and make your life more stress-free.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Just got first prescription a couple of months ago and I can agree with the "Holy poo poo!" sentiment. The world snapped back into focus more than I expected.

The optometrist gave me a little cleaning kit with some solution and cloth. I use whatever t-shirt I'm wearing most of the time, but the solution is good for a thorough cleaning every week or two.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

the idea of contact lenses is incredibly gross and creeps me out

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

individual lens wipes are the way to go. everything else gets greasy or messes with your lens coating

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Dick Fontaine posted:

individual lens wipes are the way to go. everything else gets greasy or messes with your lens coating

link? I got glasses for the first time a few months ago.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

gimme your lunch money foureyes

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Glasses are a waste, if I wanted to read something far away I wouldn’t be so far away from it

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

ngl I actually look pretty sexy with these on, gotten tons of compliments :))))

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Dick Fontaine posted:

I have zeiss ones but they still somehow suck????

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

satanic splash-back posted:

poo poo really? that's what he recommended

I guess ill stick to water and microfiber

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

satanic splash-back posted:

only if you use it undiluted

zone
Dec 6, 2016
I use a lens spray and microfiber cloth to clean my glasses.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

you can just wash your microfiber cloth in the clothes warsher with your dirty underoos op, dont be scared. i can say this as a preeminent authority on mocrofiber clothes as i have like uhh 10 of them from all the free glasses i got from job.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

the company declan makes really nice microfiber cloths that work about 1000x better than the lovely ones that come with glasses. you can usually find a few on sale.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
So you’ve been driving around town endangering society for a decade? Thanks asswipe!

congrats, correcting your vision feels like a super power

Please goons for the love of god stop wiping your greasy fallout 3 shirts on your expensive chemically coated lenses. Buy a bunch of micro fiber cloths that are made for such things.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Congrats fellow later in life glasses obtainer. To answer your question there are cheap kits with microfiber cloth and solution meant for glasses, sold on Amazon or lots of other places. Wouldn’t use dish soap.

If your insurance covers them annual optician visits are a good idea as your prescription may change and it’s a great way to detect issues early. If you have a membership the Costco optical dept is an excellent value & they often run 2 for 1 deals.

Transition lens that turn dark are a good idea to cut down on damaging UV reaching your eyes. When you get your next pair be sure to store your old pair where you know where they are in case you need them in a pinch.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Letting your eyes adjust to dust and crap is good practice for when your eyes need to adjust to cracks and blisters as you use the same glasses for 10 years because "I don't want to look different" or more americanly "I lost my vision coverage."

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

ordered some lens cleaning spray. the instructions say washing debris off with cold water and then using the spray with a microfibre cloth is the way to go!

also supposedly you t-shirt and or kitchen roll paper users are monsters according to the info I read!!! it can scratch your lenses if there are dust/whatever particles on the textile

I luckily have 6 months of included insurance if they're damaged in any way - lost, dropped, scratched - they'll replace them :)

thanks for the help fellow nerds

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Human urine has a slightly acidic ph and is nature's glass cleanser, you can just pee on them

Just use a microfiber cloth to clean afterwards. Don't use your shirt like a slob

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

also supposedly you t-shirt and or kitchen roll paper users are monsters according to the info I read!!! it can scratch your lenses if there are dust/whatever particles on the textile

You will not prevent this from happening and you will have to use your shirt at some point, but yeah don't ever use a paper towel

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

MrQwerty posted:

You will not prevent this from happening and you will have to use your shirt at some point, but yeah don't ever use a paper towel

that's why I got a microfiber belt holster >:-)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I have 3 pairs of my current prescription, my favorite ones are starting to get pretty hosed up, the second ones are pristine but I don't like the frames as much (which is why they are pristine), and the third ones are safety glasses with side shields that are slightly pitted out from solder balls and poo poo

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
My glasses are so ancient because I stopped going to the optician when covid hit

Now I just don't wear them anymore it seems like my eyes have gotten better

the house definitely looks cleaner

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

My whole family wears glasses but I have 20/20 vision in my mid 30s because I'm a GENETIC FREAK and I'm NOT NORMAL

I'm just better I guess

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

You gotta do the little circular motion with your thumb and forefinger at the same time, front and back of lens simultaneously. It's sort of like, well uh rolling a, or a uh, finger bangi... uh well you just kinda gotta get the hang of it to not smudge them. Like just use an old cotton t-shirt until there's no more clean spots.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I remember when I first got glasses and was like, "you're supposed to see the INDIVIDUAL LEAVES on TREES? :stare:" It was loving mindblowing.

Hammerite posted:

the idea of contact lenses is incredibly gross and creeps me out

When I was in college I tried contact lenses and it felt like wearing cold wet grocery bags on my eyeballs. Just awful.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

I remember when I first got glasses and was like, "you're supposed to see the INDIVIDUAL LEAVES on TREES? :stare:" It was loving mindblowing.

I tried out the optometrist at Costco when I needed new glasses ~6 years ago. My old optometrist was an old man doing old man things using old man tools. The costco one had all kinds of fancy computer poo poo, and I go into the room to get my script locked in and the optometrist goes, "so how exactly do you see?"
I'm like, "what do you mean, I've been wearing glasses since I was 14 and I see fine."
"No, you see double and you're just used to it because nobody ever diagnosed your prism correction."
Then she dropped the prism correction lenses in on top of the script I liked and I found out at 31 that I had been seeing slightly double for my entire life and that I needed prism correction lenses.
It was as much of a difference as going from natural vision > glasses once I got used to it.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Toxic Mental posted:

My whole family wears glasses but I have 20/20 vision in my mid 30s because I'm a GENETIC FREAK and I'm NOT NORMAL

I'm just better I guess

lol be careful i was saying the exact same thing just a couple years ago and now i'm pretty sure i'm gonna need glasses as soon as i get off my lazy rear end and book a test.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
if I can nab windex I’ll use that, like I’m if at home. Otherwise water and a lint-free something or other. Shirt is worst case scenario.

I love contacts but I can’t do monthlies, my eyes suck the moisture out I swear to god. If I’m going out or need my sunglasses I’ll wear a set of dailies.

I want to get laser done but I think my eyes are absolute trash tier so it’ll just revert back to lovely real quick.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

lol be careful i was saying the exact same thing just a couple years ago and now i'm pretty sure i'm gonna need glasses as soon as i get off my lazy rear end and book a test.

Full disclosure I take really good care of my eyesight. I eat right and get the right amount of vitamin C and E and I always wear sunglasses outside

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

I'm 33 and have astigmatism/near sightedness probably from being jacked in to the net since 1998 glowing square staring all-day

Theenks for reading fellow four-eyed dork(s)

my doctor told me this is bullshit, if your eyes had been hosed up by screens you would be far sighted. idk if she was right or not but that’s what she said

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I've worn glasses since I was 10 and they're as thick as a hotdog is wide. Welcome to the nerd club, op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

When i got my first pair of glasses as a kid all i could do on the car ride home was stare out the window at the trees because i could actually see EVERY individual leaf for once.