Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Sentinel posted:

When i got my first pair of glasses as a kid all i could do on the car ride home was stare out the window at the trees because i could actually see EVERY individual leaf for once.

it was like that when I was 14 and then it was like that again at 31 with the prism correction, just night and day. Being able to see right is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Having a good vision prescription is a huge quality of life improvement, although I prefer contacts to glasses. I just recently got a new pair of glasses after the pair I got a couple years back were just unusable, forcing me to use an even older pair that was barely functional. They'd told me I needed to wear the bad pair "for a while" to get used to them, and I thought I had given it a good effort but I never adjusted. This time I was very upfront about that experience, and it turns out the problem was that the bad pair had astigmatism correction, and that "for a while" meant wear them exclusively for like a week to adjust to them. I wear contacts 90% of my day, and only wear glasses when I first wake up and for the time before I go to bed after taking my contacts out. There is no way I would be wearing glasses all day every day for a week, hence that pair being effectively useless to me.

This time I requested they make the glasses without the astigmatism correction, and they work fine for me.

Also, for older goons, I cannot emphasize enough how magical multifocal contact lenses are. They're like bifocals, and when I'm wearing my contacts it's like stepping back in time to before the presbyopia really kicked in. I almost never have to use reading glasses anymore, whereas before the multifocal contacts I needed reading glasses more and more every day.

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
I too marveled at tree leaves when I got glasses in grad school. I remember walking across campus thinking, “Holy poo poo, I can see individual leaves!”

I use Zeiss wipes, but the key is to use one wipe per lens. Otherwise you’re just smearing dirt and dust around by the time you get to the second lens.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sentinel posted:

When i got my first pair of glasses as a kid all i could do on the car ride home was stare out the window at the trees because i could actually see EVERY individual leaf for once.

I know right? I think I spent 4 or 5 years just thinking trees were green blurs.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Grey Cat posted:

I've worn glasses since I was 10 and they're as thick as a hotdog is wide. Welcome to the nerd club, op.

Same. I’d shake your hand but everything past my nose is a blur.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I spent the first year wearing glasses finding every opportunity for calling out how far something was away because I could finally resolve depth. Not full on astigmatism which I guess causes full on 2d vision without corrections, but a lack of resolution at distance to do anything besides "guess" how far something is.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Grey Cat posted:

I've worn glasses since I was 10 and they're as thick as a hotdog is wide. Welcome to the nerd club, op.

What’s yer ‘script?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

I spent the first year wearing glasses finding every opportunity for calling out how far something was away because I could finally resolve depth. Not full on astigmatism which I guess causes full on 2d vision without corrections, but a lack of resolution at distance to do anything besides "guess" how far something is.

Astigmatism means you don't focus on the proper place. Like instead of directly down your nose its to the right or the left. That's how the eye doctor explained it to me when I was 14

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

What’s yer ‘script?

OD -6.25
OS -6.00 Cyl -.25 axis 100

E: I had to dig for that

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Grey Cat posted:

OD -6.25

I'm -8.25. when do we become legally blind?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

When your vision can't be corrected within a range, something like 20/x after lenses. Or field of view limitations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Grey Cat posted:

When your vision can't be corrected within a range, something like 20/x after lenses. Or field of view limitations.

ok cool. It's definitely gonna be my brain and not my eyes that put me in a home

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
OP just a heads up that facial tissues with lotion exist and you are going to WISH DEATH upon anyone who buys them. Like you're gonna clean your glasses and put them on and suddenly you're in a 70's dream sequence.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bluemillion posted:

OP just a heads up that facial tissues with lotion exist and you are going to WISH DEATH upon anyone who buys them. Like you're gonna clean your glasses and put them on and suddenly you're in a 70's dream sequence.

might look like this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z92bykaeV4o

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm -3.25 in both eyes, but my contacts also have +1.50 for my right (dominant) eye and +2.00 for my left eye so I can see close-up, too.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm -3.25 in both eyes, but my contacts also have +1.50 for my right (dominant) eye and +2.00 for my left eye so I can see close-up, too.

my chiropractor told me it was unhealthy to call one dominate over the other

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

AEMINAL posted:

I have zeiss ones but they still somehow suck????

those are the ones that work for me, but everyone’s face grease is different

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

My best tip to a new glasses wearer would be to not sweat trying to keep them totally pristine, they are gonna get scratched and clouded over the years and you'll eventually need to replace them. Just take care of them, clean them with a chamois or microfiber cloth and don't worry about them getting scratched. Honestly most small scratches will be completely unnoticeable due to the way your eyes focus through the glasses.

Also can I just say as someone who grew up wearing wire frames I'm so loving glad thick frames are back in style, my glasses used to get so loving bent over time and now I don't really have to worry about that.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

free hubcaps posted:

My best tip to a new glasses wearer would be to not sweat trying to keep them totally pristine, they are gonna get scratched and clouded over the years and you'll eventually need to replace them. Just take care of them, clean them with a chamois or microfiber cloth and don't worry about them getting scratched. Honestly most small scratches will be completely unnoticeable due to the way your eyes focus through the glasses.

2 out of 3 pair that I have right now have blue light coating on them, which is nice but it does start to "flake" away the older and more used they get. I'm a year late in going to the eye doctor and I should probably get on that.
My plastic framed ones are my favorite pair, the other ones are titanium frames that look a bit similar to the plastic ones but thinner.
The clearest, cleanest lenses I have, despite the micropitting from balls of liquid metal, are Z87 Polycarbonate with no coatings whatsoever. Too bad those are wireframes and only fit me with the side shields as tensioners.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Grey Cat posted:

OD -6.25

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

-9.00 on these ol’ peepers

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

you have a beater pair yet op? that’s probably the best way to keep your nice ones looking pristine. zenni has some fun glow-in-the-dark frames that are good for that

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

-9.00 on these ol’ peepers

is that when we become legally blind or are you just bragging?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

if that corrects your vision then all you are legally is a morocco mole

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dick Fontaine posted:

if that corrects your vision then all you are legally is a morocco mole

Calm down Mr. Magoo

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

It’s when your mind’s eye begins opening to its full potential

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Got LASIK after wearing glasses and contacts since 5th grade when I got my first solid job and had some savings.

Best money I ever spent but I was a good fit. Got a checkup last year and I'm still better than 20/20 15 years later.

God I hate contacts and glasses after using them more than half my life.

It was amazing when I got my first pair though. Trees did de-lolipop and start to have leaves which was nuts.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

It’s when your mind’s eye begins opening to its full potential

so I should listen to the voices in my head?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Glasses gonna get scraped up and always have dust and finger prints on them.

Wait till you fall asleep wearing them and roll over them.

That's a spicy new pair of frames.

Contacts are honestly fine for most people. I used the 2 week ones oasis or something, but my doc said I could wear them longer after inspecting them and my eyes for damage and dryness after id worn them and only changed them every month and there was no issue.

I gotta think that anyone complaining about contacts either hasn't had them in forever, were prescribed hard lenses or just have sensitive eyes.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I use contact lenses and only use my glasses at night before bed. Hate the distortion and bad depth perception with glasses

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

The last time I had 1 pair of frames and lenses in my current script a dog I was watching chewed the lenses and frames to a twisted mass of tears in about 4 seconds. I had to wear an old pair of work safety glasses in buddy holly frames with side shields and without prism correction for a week.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Unless your prescription changes, always keep your older pairs for around the home/doing messy work, and you can be nicer with your newer pairs for longer.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Wee posted:

Unless your prescription changes, always keep your older pairs for around the home/doing messy work, and you can be nicer with your newer pairs for longer.

keep them around anyhow. Never know when your new pair are going to break or some other poo poo happens. Always have a backup pair or two

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Wee posted:

this also lets you match your glasses up with however sexy you’re feeling at the moment

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

keep them around anyhow. Never know when your new pair are going to break or some other poo poo happens. Always have a backup pair or two

also if your work pays out any amount at all on getting safety glasses, regardless of the cost to you, max out that voucher whenever you can. Now you have a bunch of Z87 polycarb prescription safety glasses with shields that you can use for whatever work you trust them for.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

also if your work pays out any amount at all on getting safety glasses, regardless of the cost to you, max out that voucher whenever you can. Now you have a bunch of Z87 polycarb prescription safety glasses with shields that you can use for whatever work you trust them for.

100% I worked a place that would have paid for prescription safety glasses and didn't do it and I am still kicking myself in the rear end for it

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You can’t. Accept that fact now and make your life more stress-free.

Oh dear god. This. There is always going to be a smudge somewhere. I've cleaned mine spotless only to pop them back on my face and oops, there's two of the bastards somehow. I now only clean em if the smudges are in a distracting spot.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

100% I worked a place that would have paid for prescription safety glasses and didn't do it and I am still kicking myself in the rear end for it

I would get 2 a year and 3 pairs of capped shoes from the place I worked at a while back, and you bet I was getting whatever the best safety frames I could find were + 3 pairs of steeltoe keens for a couple years.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

I would get 2 a year and 3 pairs of capped shoes from the place I worked at a while back, and you bet I was getting whatever the best safety frames I could find were + 3 pairs of steeltoe keens for a couple years.

I hear you. I only worked there for 6 months, but I should have taken advantage of what was offered to me. It was part of my payscale. I just left money on the table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Wendigee posted:

Glasses gonna get scraped up and always have dust and finger prints on them.

Wait till you fall asleep wearing them and roll over them.

That's a spicy new pair of frames.

Contacts are honestly fine for most people. I used the 2 week ones oasis or something, but my doc said I could wear them longer after inspecting them and my eyes for damage and dryness after id worn them and only changed them every month and there was no issue.

I gotta think that anyone complaining about contacts either hasn't had them in forever, were prescribed hard lenses or just have sensitive eyes.

I will say that if my only experience had been the non-disposable soft contacts I had back in the late 1980s/early 1990s then I wouldn't be as much of a fan of contacts. My current contacts are monthly disposables, and most of the time I absolutely am not aware of them. The non-disposable ones were a different experience by a longshot.