Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

AEMINAL posted:

anyway, what I really posted this thread for is tips on keeping the lenses absolutely spotless and clean

I've been using dish soap and cool water with a microfiber cloth but its a loving hassle and usually I end up smudging them because my fabric has already absorbed some grease

is there an easier way??? can I just let them air dry or something?? are there kits??????

So I just use reading glasses, which means I never really get used to having some glass in front of my eyes.

For me one thing that made a huge difference was getting some glasses with anti-reflective coating on them. When I started using them, I felt like I could never gets them perfectly clean and was constantly annoyed. I finally figured out the real problem was that small reflections from my eyes or skin were making a "haze" on the inside of the glasses that felt like dirty glasses. Buying a decent pair of non-prescription readers with anti-reflection made a huge difference.

But also if you have a small microfiber cloth that came free with the glasses, throw that poo poo out and get a couple big ones. The microfiber will pick up skin oil from your fingers when you use it. So after using it a few times they're dirty and suck.

Toxic Mental posted:

My whole family wears glasses but I have 20/20 vision in my mid 30s because I'm a GENETIC FREAK and I'm NOT NORMAL

I'm just better I guess

Same, but hot tip when you're in the drugstore some time check out the rack of cheapo reading glasses. You might be like me and have 20/20 distance but then put on a pair of +1.50 and say "oh hey I can focus on things inside arm-length much easier".

Probably followed by "oh those headaches were actually bad eyestrain".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

wonder if there’s any goons with spoons posters reading this thread; all thinking about that monthly “shoes for crews” draft on their paycheck; getting hot and bothered by this boujie-rear end benefits posting?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dick Fontaine posted:

wonder if there’s any goons with spoons posters reading this thread; all thinking about that monthly “shoes for crews” draft on their paycheck; getting hot and bothered by this boujie-rear end benefits posting?

I don't read the cooking forum, so once again I would like you to explain things to me. also you spelled bougie wrong

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I don't read the cooking forum, so once again I would like you to explain things to me. also you spelled bougie wrong

kitchen jobs always require safety shoes. employees usually have to pay for those. there’s a company called shoes for crews that a lot of food service operations will offer their employees as a “benefit”, the benefit being that you can buy them on an installment plan that’s spread out across your future paychecks. it’s a common gripe

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Dick Fontaine posted:

kitchen jobs always require safety shoes. employees usually have to pay for those. there’s a company called shoes for crews that a lot of food service operations will offer their employees as a “benefit”, the benefit being that you can buy them on an installment plan that’s spread out across your future paychecks. it’s a common gripe

at the drug factory it was a straight voucher at approved places for shoes and glasses, something like $120 for shoes (you were told specifically to get capped sneakers, not boots), and full cost of frames +$20 on lenses or something for safety glasses.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

anyway—not trying to start a derail. that’s just one of my weird pedantic nerd things that i bring up whenever possible because of dumb life events. that post was simply an inescapable compulsion, nothing more

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dick Fontaine posted:

no one actually cared if we had non-slip shoes when I worked in a kitchen. Wore loving engineer boots for a while, slipped, then got yelled at for no cleaning up the mess I made when I fell.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
I always hated glasses, I remember the high school doing informal, low accuracy tests just to check when I was 14 or so and saying "looks like you're on the verge of needing glasses" and me replying "if you say so!" and them just going "you wouldn't wear them right?", I confirmed I would not, and they just laughed and told me to get on my way. I didn't get glasses until after I did my driving test (at 22, after I'd graduated Uni), as they were technically required for seeing the other cars.

After passing the test I immediately got contact lenses, and only stopped wearing them when terribly depressed, because I stopped caring about my appearance at all during those times. When I moved countries the new optometrist told me "Oh, we have these 30 day continuous wear ones, second best only to LASIK" and I got those and resumed wearing contact lenses pretty much ever since, often forgetting to change them at the appropriate 30 day limit, but it's been a decade now and going strong with them. I do consider LASIK sometimes but even if I've mastered "touching my eyeball, even just for grossing non-eyeball-touchers out for a laugh" having someone actually cut my eyeballs with a laser still sounds pretty horrible.

It's funny since my immediate family and most of my extended family all wear glasses, but I just inexplicably hate them, they're just the worst. My dad told me once when he was a wee boy he wanted glasses so much he kept trying to explain to his gran that he wanted some even if they were flat glass, just so he could have glasses to wear.

Being able to see is pretty good, though. Contact lenses are great for the peripheral vision, too.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i kind of want to do lasik, but I think i look better with glasses, so it's a real pickle

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Charles Ford posted:

Being able to see is pretty good, though. Contact lenses are great for the peripheral vision, too.

Yeah, I have freaky-good peripheral vision, and contacts correct my whole field of view. Wearing glasses, although I still do it a few hours every day, always makes me feel like I have blinders on since my field of view is larger than the coverage of the glasses.

I'm diligent about taking my contacts out at night and cleaning them, and according to my eye doctor if I hadn't told them I wear contacts they wouldn't have been able to tell from how healthy my eyeballs are.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I like wearing glasses.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Everyone I have ever dated has always said I look really cute with glasses and I have to disagree massively I look dumb asf with glasses

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Klyith posted:

Same, but hot tip when you're in the drugstore some time check out the rack of cheapo reading glasses. You might be like me and have 20/20 distance but then put on a pair of +1.50 and say "oh hey I can focus on things inside arm-length much easier".

Probably followed by "oh those headaches were actually bad eyestrain".

I don't get headaches and I can see the individual cells on my hand and poo poo up close like 4 inches from my eye really easily. As I said, I'M A GENETIC FREAK, and I'm NOT NORMAL.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I had insane vision even in the dark when I was a kid that rapidly went to poo poo as an adult and I almost cried when the eye doc briefly put on the lenses during the visit where I could see again lol

100% cotton shirts are safe to clean glasses. My advice is to find frames that look good on you in store then buy them online for a fraction of the price and have the Rx lenses put into them. Eye insurance is a scam

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Dick Fontaine posted:

individual lens wipes are the way to go. everything else gets greasy or messes with your lens coating

As a glasses wearer of some decades I've found the "everything else gets greasy" part to be absolutely true.

Your local cut price pharmacy will sell glasses wipes.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I found the only non-disposal solution that works are those alcohol sprays that are gel-like in consistency, seems to pick up dirt/etc far better.

But you'll find that there's a point where you're just being precious about how dirty your glasses look, if you're sitting there shining your phone light at it to see if it's clean enough you're missing the point, as long as they look clear when u have them on ur face that's all that matters. Imo it's more important to keep the rest of the frame clean because people never clean that poo poo.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

MoonshineWilly posted:

I too marveled at tree leaves when I got glasses in grad school. I remember walking across campus thinking, “Holy poo poo, I can see individual leaves!”

I use Zeiss wipes, but the key is to use one wipe per lens. Otherwise you’re just smearing dirt and dust around by the time you get to the second lens.

Ahhh loving pro tip right here

Gonna use this with the circular wipe tech on both sides at once some goon mentioned

edit:

Klyith posted:

For me one thing that made a huge difference was getting some glasses with anti-reflective coating on them. When I started using them, I felt like I could never gets them perfectly clean and was constantly annoyed. I finally figured out the real problem was that small reflections from my eyes or skin were making a "haze" on the inside of the glasses that felt like dirty glasses. Buying a decent pair of non-prescription readers with anti-reflection made a huge difference.

Yeah these have that coating and it rocks, looks cool in the right light too - like a purple sheen

My rx is R -0,75 "sphere" and L -1,25, "Cyl" -1,00. No clue what this poo poo means lmao

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 21, 2023

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My uncle had cataract removal surgery and they installed artificial lenses with good mid-range focus and now he only needs reading glasses.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

peanut posted:

My uncle had cataract removal surgery and they installed artificial lenses with good mid-range focus and now he only needs reading glasses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXpuRIZzJog

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
my glasses need cleaning rn but i probs won't do it today

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
I want to get lasik because I think glasses and contacts will be hard to come by after the collapse of civilization and I don't want to be easy pickins for the harriers

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Larry Cum Free posted:

I want to get lasik because I think glasses and contacts will be hard to come by after the collapse of civilization and I don't want to be easy pickins for the harriers

My wife has used this exact argument to try to get me to get lasik.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Sentinel posted:

When i got my first pair of glasses as a kid all i could do on the car ride home was stare out the window at the trees because i could actually see EVERY individual leaf for once.

Seriously, when I was a kid, I thought kids just drew trees with green puffs on top because the leaves weren't visible to anybody. Boy howdy was I wrong.

Wee posted:

I like wearing glasses.

:same:

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

who do you think I got the idea from?

naem
May 29, 2011

I switched from glasses to contacts in college and you know that movie trope where the nerdy girl with glasses and a ponytail takes off the glasses and whips her hair around and suddenly she’s pretty

well that didn’t happen partly because I’m a dude and partly because I went from average to, also average

my field of vision widened a bunch that was nice

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I just moved from normal glasses to "progressive lenses" (fancy bifocals) and it was a similar "holy poo poo this is awesome" moment.

I know a lot of people would, at this point in this post, say something like "getting old sucks", but these new glasses are freaking amazing and, with the white beard, I'm a sexy old man. So I'm gonna go with "glasses are awesome" instead.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm juggling the idea that I might need readers to read my phone or play my Nintendo in a more comfortable position with the idea that I should still have a few years to go before presbyopia.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

zedprime posted:

I'm juggling the idea that I might need readers to read my phone or play my Nintendo in a more comfortable position with the idea that I should still have a few years to go before presbyopia.

Bifocals are really good, friend. Both those are things you tend to look down to see.

On the computer monitor, I have to wear a special pair of computer glasses that are just normal glasses for a single distance. I wear those sometimes for books, too, because with the progressives I have to turn my head a little bit to unblur text on the left and right. But for everything else, it's the progressive lenses, and it's awesome to be able to see the ingredients on the item in the store or the voltage output of the power supply, without having to change glasses.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I wish I could get lasik, but no dice; and I loving hate contacts and have never even bothered to try them since I got prism corrected. Good thing that glasses make me look better lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

just had my first smelly fart holy gently caress [ages 30+ only]

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

congrats on getting your sense of smell back

you suck off a djinn or something

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

These Zeiss Lens Wipes are for professional cameras and they work wonders on glasses when I used to wear them: https://www.amazon.com/ZEISS-Lens-W...ps%2C214&sr=8-4

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I tried contacts in college, but my eyes produce so much crud it makes wearing them impossible. Specs 4 lyfe.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
just lol if youre not a candidate for lasik. loling at the thought of everyone in this thread crawling around on the floor like velma from scooby fuckin doo just because the lights are turned off and none you you paid the extra $$ for the infrared mods and the 2x monocle scope

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I got glasses when I was 7

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
can you get laser surgery if you have astigmatism and require progressive lenses?

Cus that harrier argument is sounding really convincing.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Jelly posted:

can you get laser surgery if you have astigmatism and require progressive lenses?

Cus that harrier argument is sounding really convincing.

It depends. Consultations are typically free.

Originally, no, but the newer versions can correct so.e astigmatism depending on type and severity.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

has anybody had that type of lasik where you get one eye that sees into the past and one that sees into the future?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

cruft posted:

I just moved from normal glasses to "progressive lenses" (fancy bifocals) and it was a similar "holy poo poo this is awesome" moment.

I know a lot of people would, at this point in this post, say something like "getting old sucks", but these new glasses are freaking amazing and, with the white beard, I'm a sexy old man. So I'm gonna go with "glasses are awesome" instead.

Hell yeah. I was just at the liquor store and the clerk didn't even pause to think I was below 20 to ask for ID - something that usually always happens, unless they recognize me.

This is Sweden and there is only one state-run monopoly liquor store where they are INSANELY strict with checking ID.

Went from baby-face to kind of hot geek, thank you glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I refuse to believe there is anybody on these forums that looks young enough to get ID'd buying alcohol. Not a one