Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Having a good vision prescription is a huge quality of life improvement, although I prefer contacts to glasses. I just recently got a new pair of glasses after the pair I got a couple years back were just unusable, forcing me to use an even older pair that was barely functional. They'd told me I needed to wear the bad pair "for a while" to get used to them, and I thought I had given it a good effort but I never adjusted. This time I was very upfront about that experience, and it turns out the problem was that the bad pair had astigmatism correction, and that "for a while" meant wear them exclusively for like a week to adjust to them. I wear contacts 90% of my day, and only wear glasses when I first wake up and for the time before I go to bed after taking my contacts out. There is no way I would be wearing glasses all day every day for a week, hence that pair being effectively useless to me.

This time I requested they make the glasses without the astigmatism correction, and they work fine for me.

Also, for older goons, I cannot emphasize enough how magical multifocal contact lenses are. They're like bifocals, and when I'm wearing my contacts it's like stepping back in time to before the presbyopia really kicked in. I almost never have to use reading glasses anymore, whereas before the multifocal contacts I needed reading glasses more and more every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm -3.25 in both eyes, but my contacts also have +1.50 for my right (dominant) eye and +2.00 for my left eye so I can see close-up, too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Wendigee posted:

Glasses gonna get scraped up and always have dust and finger prints on them.

Wait till you fall asleep wearing them and roll over them.

That's a spicy new pair of frames.

Contacts are honestly fine for most people. I used the 2 week ones oasis or something, but my doc said I could wear them longer after inspecting them and my eyes for damage and dryness after id worn them and only changed them every month and there was no issue.

I gotta think that anyone complaining about contacts either hasn't had them in forever, were prescribed hard lenses or just have sensitive eyes.

I will say that if my only experience had been the non-disposable soft contacts I had back in the late 1980s/early 1990s then I wouldn't be as much of a fan of contacts. My current contacts are monthly disposables, and most of the time I absolutely am not aware of them. The non-disposable ones were a different experience by a longshot.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Charles Ford posted:

Being able to see is pretty good, though. Contact lenses are great for the peripheral vision, too.

Yeah, I have freaky-good peripheral vision, and contacts correct my whole field of view. Wearing glasses, although I still do it a few hours every day, always makes me feel like I have blinders on since my field of view is larger than the coverage of the glasses.

I'm diligent about taking my contacts out at night and cleaning them, and according to my eye doctor if I hadn't told them I wear contacts they wouldn't have been able to tell from how healthy my eyeballs are.