Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
holy FUK is everything sharp

I couldn't read a license plate 15 yards away before I got these and now it's like I'm living in a new world

I'm 33 and have astigmatism/near sightedness probably from being jacked in to the net since 1998 glowing square staring all-day

after the optician tested me in the machine he let me try the strength out with these weird ugly steampunk goggles and I swear it was like I was on a 2 gram shroom trip, that sharp and vivid

It took me a while to adjust to the distortion, the floor felt very off at first but now its fine

anyway, what I really posted this thread for is tips on keeping the lenses absolutely spotless and clean

I've been using dish soap and cool water with a microfiber cloth but its a loving hassle and usually I end up smudging them because my fabric has already absorbed some grease

is there an easier way??? can I just let them air dry or something?? are there kits??????

Theenks for reading fellow four-eyed dork(s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

ngl I actually look pretty sexy with these on, gotten tons of compliments :))))

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Dick Fontaine posted:

individual lens wipes are the way to go. everything else gets greasy or messes with your lens coating

I have zeiss ones but they still somehow suck????

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

satanic splash-back posted:

Dish soap on your glasses is a good way to ruin them

Some of the fancy coatings at least. Easier to just use lens wipes or something

poo poo really? that's what he recommended

I guess ill stick to water and microfiber

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

ordered some lens cleaning spray. the instructions say washing debris off with cold water and then using the spray with a microfibre cloth is the way to go!

also supposedly you t-shirt and or kitchen roll paper users are monsters according to the info I read!!! it can scratch your lenses if there are dust/whatever particles on the textile

I luckily have 6 months of included insurance if they're damaged in any way - lost, dropped, scratched - they'll replace them :)

thanks for the help fellow nerds

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

MrQwerty posted:

You will not prevent this from happening and you will have to use your shirt at some point, but yeah don't ever use a paper towel

that's why I got a microfiber belt holster >:-)

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

MoonshineWilly posted:

I too marveled at tree leaves when I got glasses in grad school. I remember walking across campus thinking, “Holy poo poo, I can see individual leaves!”

I use Zeiss wipes, but the key is to use one wipe per lens. Otherwise you’re just smearing dirt and dust around by the time you get to the second lens.

Ahhh loving pro tip right here

Gonna use this with the circular wipe tech on both sides at once some goon mentioned

edit:

Klyith posted:

For me one thing that made a huge difference was getting some glasses with anti-reflective coating on them. When I started using them, I felt like I could never gets them perfectly clean and was constantly annoyed. I finally figured out the real problem was that small reflections from my eyes or skin were making a "haze" on the inside of the glasses that felt like dirty glasses. Buying a decent pair of non-prescription readers with anti-reflection made a huge difference.

Yeah these have that coating and it rocks, looks cool in the right light too - like a purple sheen

My rx is R -0,75 "sphere" and L -1,25, "Cyl" -1,00. No clue what this poo poo means lmao

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 21, 2023

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

cruft posted:

I just moved from normal glasses to "progressive lenses" (fancy bifocals) and it was a similar "holy poo poo this is awesome" moment.

I know a lot of people would, at this point in this post, say something like "getting old sucks", but these new glasses are freaking amazing and, with the white beard, I'm a sexy old man. So I'm gonna go with "glasses are awesome" instead.

Hell yeah. I was just at the liquor store and the clerk didn't even pause to think I was below 20 to ask for ID - something that usually always happens, unless they recognize me.

This is Sweden and there is only one state-run monopoly liquor store where they are INSANELY strict with checking ID.

Went from baby-face to kind of hot geek, thank you glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

Peggy Edson posted:

glasses and contacts suck poo poo, get lasik

not if you look hot with them! either I was super blind or way more girls have been checking me out lately