Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

AEMINAL posted:

also supposedly you t-shirt and or kitchen roll paper users are monsters according to the info I read!!! it can scratch your lenses if there are dust/whatever particles on the textile

You will not prevent this from happening and you will have to use your shirt at some point, but yeah don't ever use a paper towel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I have 3 pairs of my current prescription, my favorite ones are starting to get pretty hosed up, the second ones are pristine but I don't like the frames as much (which is why they are pristine), and the third ones are safety glasses with side shields that are slightly pitted out from solder balls and poo poo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

YeahTubaMike posted:

I remember when I first got glasses and was like, "you're supposed to see the INDIVIDUAL LEAVES on TREES? :stare:" It was loving mindblowing.

I tried out the optometrist at Costco when I needed new glasses ~6 years ago. My old optometrist was an old man doing old man things using old man tools. The costco one had all kinds of fancy computer poo poo, and I go into the room to get my script locked in and the optometrist goes, "so how exactly do you see?"
I'm like, "what do you mean, I've been wearing glasses since I was 14 and I see fine."
"No, you see double and you're just used to it because nobody ever diagnosed your prism correction."
Then she dropped the prism correction lenses in on top of the script I liked and I found out at 31 that I had been seeing slightly double for my entire life and that I needed prism correction lenses.
It was as much of a difference as going from natural vision > glasses once I got used to it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Sentinel posted:

When i got my first pair of glasses as a kid all i could do on the car ride home was stare out the window at the trees because i could actually see EVERY individual leaf for once.

it was like that when I was 14 and then it was like that again at 31 with the prism correction, just night and day. Being able to see right is cool.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

free hubcaps posted:

My best tip to a new glasses wearer would be to not sweat trying to keep them totally pristine, they are gonna get scratched and clouded over the years and you'll eventually need to replace them. Just take care of them, clean them with a chamois or microfiber cloth and don't worry about them getting scratched. Honestly most small scratches will be completely unnoticeable due to the way your eyes focus through the glasses.

2 out of 3 pair that I have right now have blue light coating on them, which is nice but it does start to "flake" away the older and more used they get. I'm a year late in going to the eye doctor and I should probably get on that.
My plastic framed ones are my favorite pair, the other ones are titanium frames that look a bit similar to the plastic ones but thinner.
The clearest, cleanest lenses I have, despite the micropitting from balls of liquid metal, are Z87 Polycarbonate with no coatings whatsoever. Too bad those are wireframes and only fit me with the side shields as tensioners.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The last time I had 1 pair of frames and lenses in my current script a dog I was watching chewed the lenses and frames to a twisted mass of tears in about 4 seconds. I had to wear an old pair of work safety glasses in buddy holly frames with side shields and without prism correction for a week.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

keep them around anyhow. Never know when your new pair are going to break or some other poo poo happens. Always have a backup pair or two

also if your work pays out any amount at all on getting safety glasses, regardless of the cost to you, max out that voucher whenever you can. Now you have a bunch of Z87 polycarb prescription safety glasses with shields that you can use for whatever work you trust them for.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

100% I worked a place that would have paid for prescription safety glasses and didn't do it and I am still kicking myself in the rear end for it

I would get 2 a year and 3 pairs of capped shoes from the place I worked at a while back, and you bet I was getting whatever the best safety frames I could find were + 3 pairs of steeltoe keens for a couple years.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Dick Fontaine posted:

kitchen jobs always require safety shoes. employees usually have to pay for those. there’s a company called shoes for crews that a lot of food service operations will offer their employees as a “benefit”, the benefit being that you can buy them on an installment plan that’s spread out across your future paychecks. it’s a common gripe

at the drug factory it was a straight voucher at approved places for shoes and glasses, something like $120 for shoes (you were told specifically to get capped sneakers, not boots), and full cost of frames +$20 on lenses or something for safety glasses.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

peanut posted:

My uncle had cataract removal surgery and they installed artificial lenses with good mid-range focus and now he only needs reading glasses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXpuRIZzJog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

My wife has used this exact argument to try to get me to get lasik.

I wish I could get lasik, but no dice; and I loving hate contacts and have never even bothered to try them since I got prism corrected. Good thing that glasses make me look better lol