Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
I always hated glasses, I remember the high school doing informal, low accuracy tests just to check when I was 14 or so and saying "looks like you're on the verge of needing glasses" and me replying "if you say so!" and them just going "you wouldn't wear them right?", I confirmed I would not, and they just laughed and told me to get on my way. I didn't get glasses until after I did my driving test (at 22, after I'd graduated Uni), as they were technically required for seeing the other cars.

After passing the test I immediately got contact lenses, and only stopped wearing them when terribly depressed, because I stopped caring about my appearance at all during those times. When I moved countries the new optometrist told me "Oh, we have these 30 day continuous wear ones, second best only to LASIK" and I got those and resumed wearing contact lenses pretty much ever since, often forgetting to change them at the appropriate 30 day limit, but it's been a decade now and going strong with them. I do consider LASIK sometimes but even if I've mastered "touching my eyeball, even just for grossing non-eyeball-touchers out for a laugh" having someone actually cut my eyeballs with a laser still sounds pretty horrible.

It's funny since my immediate family and most of my extended family all wear glasses, but I just inexplicably hate them, they're just the worst. My dad told me once when he was a wee boy he wanted glasses so much he kept trying to explain to his gran that he wanted some even if they were flat glass, just so he could have glasses to wear.

Being able to see is pretty good, though. Contact lenses are great for the peripheral vision, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU