Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

We are depending on the speed and goodwill of your unpaid staff to blank the avatars, but you still profit.

You have been avoiding this issue for a while now.
Pretty low, disgusting behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As always, Jeff is the only person at this point who can meaningfully respond to this topic and he's been silent the last few times it's come up.

But I have a real good feeling about this one.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

start a profit sharing agreement with the people that get doxxed and/or threatened to get a portion (10% seems fair) of all proceeds derived from the threats against their wellbeing. That way everyone has an equitable share of the pie

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

yeah the fact that this still hasn't been done but the site continues to make money from avs is bullshit

strong bird
May 12, 2009

if you look at teh changelog in the tech forum youll see all the insanely important changes that are being made on a bi-yearly basis that preclude the modification to allow admins to see who bought avs

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

jeff forgot he owns the site op

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

johnny park posted:

jeff forgot he owns the site op

I understand. Just wanted to express disgust again.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

as soon as you become the owner of SA you undergo the theoden healing scene from the two towers but in reverse. no other explanation

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Seriously Jeff, do something. Say something.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

someone needs to go get his attention

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

the new owner is a worthless piece of poo poo and nothing will be done, again. :bravo:

stir up trouble
Mar 14, 2022

iirc user lib and let die got doxxed by avatar purchase about this time last year so we're basically at a full year now of transphobic or doxxing av purchases being brought up to jeff as an issue

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Countdown until one of the admins pops in here to say there's nothing that can be done about it because Jeff doesn't even answer their messages.

Glad we take doxxing less seriously here than loving Reddit does.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
careful.. if u post in this thread, astral and jeff will probe u for a week from the admin panel... i will simply avoid doing this :twisted:

e: oh gently caress! oh poo poo!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Still awaiting Jeffrey's response from the last time a thread on this was msde 6 months ago or something.

I'm sure he'll be here soon :)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

At this point even a "I don't think this issue is worth the time it would take to fix it" out of him would be more than the year of silence we've gotten. It really sucks that after his completely failed attempt at spinning his image when SAD opened he's just completely given up on interacting with feedback.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
It’s too hard please think of all the work Jeff is doing

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Bump

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Fajita Queen posted:

At this point even a "I don't think this issue is worth the time it would take to fix it" out of him would be more than the year of silence we've gotten. It really sucks that after his completely failed attempt at spinning his image when SAD opened he's just completely given up on interacting with feedback.

It makes me wonder, what was it that made him give up and walk away? There had to be a straw that was the last.

Also come the gently caress on and make av purchases traceable. You can go back to the aether once you’ve done the right thing, Jeff.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Judgy Fucker posted:

It makes me wonder, what was it that made him give up and walk away? There had to be a straw that was the last.

Also come the gently caress on and make av purchases traceable. You can go back to the aether once you’ve done the right thing, Jeff.

boxing day

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That would require him to actually make a decision and stand by it, and lol.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Kild posted:

boxing day

doxxing day

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Judgy Fucker posted:

I think something about how the Wintertime situation went down soured him

The last official business I can think of involving him was the mod guidelines topic, itself years overdue, and the only thing to come from it was an admin and mod getting banned for unrelated reasons

It sucks because I think he's just stuck in a negative feedback loop wherein he thinks we all hate him and thus he shouldn't even bother, but by ignoring things (like op) people will get more mad and frustrated.

SA is fickle but on the plus side that means even a single right move (like op) would immediately result in a lot of people being happy about how things are going. Just gotta break out of that loop

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
once someone let it out of the box that avy purchases were untraceable, this was always the way it was going to go

seriously, fix this poo poo

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Does the anonymous av purchase being removed really change anything? Couldn't someone just register a fresh account and post a picture doxxing someone if they wanted to?
You can't stop people from being assholes on the Internet.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Peachfart posted:

Does the anonymous av purchase being removed really change anything? Couldn't someone just register a fresh account and post a picture doxxing someone if they wanted to?
You can't stop people from being assholes on the Internet.

While yes someone could do that, the forum actually does have some custom tools for identifying alt accounts. This is restricted to certain admins and maybe even just Jeff at the moment. They're pretty good.

Also, sometimes people reregging just use the same email. It's that easy to ID some of them.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

docbeard posted:

As always, Jeff is the only person at this point who can meaningfully respond to this topic and he's been silent the last few times it's come up.

But I have a real good feeling about this one.

they've avoided SAD wholesale since like February or whatever. It's pretty bad and lovely and I thought he hired someone to remind him to read the forums? or if they no longer do that, maybe the other admins should be more proactive in reminding him that there's Jeff specific stuff that's gone unanswered/resolved/commented upon for months (assuming that didn't happen yet).

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

jeff not lest ye be jeff'd

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
come on it's been that way literally since day one

Suddenly it's a ginormous deal

Edit :I did not know about the recent event

Spinz fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 22, 2023

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Spinz posted:

doxxing is a big deal yeah

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Spinz posted:

Yo, Spinz, someone's address got posted in a custom av with a death threat

that should be traceable.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

That function should be shut down on an emergency basis until traceability is available, it is a existential threat to the site.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

StratGoatCom posted:

That function should be shut down on an emergency basis until traceability is available, it is a existential threat to the site.

I think asking the part time coder to do something clearly outside the scope of his employment as dictated by his employer is putting him into a bad position. This is a Jeff task. We wait for him.

He probably is overwhelmed by goons being goons and just bitching and moaning every time he posts. Heavy wears the crown and all that. Still, just doing this would basically shut me and a ton of people up. This and attachments 2.0 would have him hailed like a king.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i have been accurately doxxed by this avatar

<--------

mods???

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

TheSwizzler posted:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TheSwizzler posted:

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

FirstnameLastname posted:

at this point idg there's no queue whatsoever to screen doxx & hateful/abusive stuff, or even a flag for people who've already had hosed up avs purchased to require mod/admin approval. it doesn't seem like that would be difficult to implement since it wouldn't have to touch the payment side or change it at all

Grip it and rip it posted:

Anyone got a link to what happened? This sounds like some goontelephone.txt

a poster was doxxed with what was claimed to be their address and a death threat in a custom av purchase 2x in a row and that poster has been given hosed up avs previously and there's still nothing to prevent it from happening

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 22, 2023

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Honest question, does Jeff have a day job or was he intending to be full time SA Owner Guy once he took the site over?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Grip it and rip it posted:

Do you want a link to their doxxed avatars or...? They were blanked fairly quickly by Vyelkin

teemolover42069 posted:

pretty sure I just saw a user get doxxed via someone putting their address in their avatar anonymously and I am impressed with how quickly it got blanked by an admin - seriously, great job - but holy poo poo that needs to no longer be an option.

vyelkin posted:

It was me, there were two of them in a row and I got them both almost immediately. Those titles were really hosed up whether the information in them was accurate or not, which is something I do not know or want to know. I would love the ability to see who bought them.

Kild fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 22, 2023