Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's fine to make it even slightly harder to do psychotic poo poo in people's redtexts even if you can get around it if you're dedicated enough and make a burner, or whatever. you could probably get around anything if you're psychotic and/or determined enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Fluffdaddy posted:

He has spent the last 5 hours using the tools he does have to look into this.

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm also in direct contact, he's not doing nothing.
Great to hear.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've written up a brief, specific, and actionable feature request in TECH that should improve the av buy situation if implemented, if anyone wants to look and chime in with their own thoughts and feedback

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4040077

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 22, 2023

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Slugworth posted:

Av blanks need to be approved by an admin, right? So there's a mechanism in place for av changes to be approved? Can that just be applied to all av changes? They can remain anonymous then, if that's a technical/spiritual issue.

I think that solution still has problems, unfortunately. It puts a ton of pressure on the moderators or admins and someone could abuse the hell out of the admins themselves with hosed up images or messages targeting the admin themselves. There's also the community reaction to consider. Goons are very quick to flame the mods/admins for any infraction and I could imagine the community going after the admins for approving a red text or an avatar purchase that they saw as innocuous. I understand that yeah mods bastards, Jeff bad, etc, but they're still human too

There's not a move that'll be a solve short of disabling the function entirely. As Arf said earlier, best play is try to be vigilant about your online identity. And to their credit, mods and admins move pretty quick to blank lovely avatars or red texts.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

i think blanks go through immediately but then can be repealed. title changes work the other way and have to be approved

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm of the opinion that right now? gently caress the community reaction. That's a problem for later. Right now the community is the one causing the drat problem, by doing the doxxing; impede the ability of those in the community inclined to do so first, then worry about the reaction.
The people who aren't doing it, won't care.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Every solution has problems, it's a question of whether those problems are smaller and worth the tradeoff to solve the bigger problem.

"Adding another duty to the mod list" seems like a good trade for "a usable measure to greatly reduce and even outright prevent something like this from happening again" to me

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Having someone - a volunteer, to be clear - have to manually approve every title change/request is psycho poo poo. If you don't think that will burn a mod/admin out literally immediately, you have literally not had to do any community legwork.

Disable anonymous av-buying until a solution is implemented, ideally that solution is "all avs can be traced back to a purchaser with a forum account so if someone doxxes someone or buys a transphobic av the admins can immediately ban them". On top of that, an additional hurdle than just "needs an account" to dissuade the usual insane rereg guys would be a nice-to-have but probably take further implementation.

This is probably the solution with the least amount of additional responsibility thrust on volunteer mods.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Monathin posted:

Having someone - a volunteer, to be clear - have to manually approve every title change/request is psycho poo poo. If you don't think that will burn a mod/admin out literally immediately, you have literally not had to do any community legwork.

Disable anonymous av-buying until a solution is implemented, ideally that solution is "all avs can be traced back to a purchaser with a forum account so if someone doxxes someone or buys a transphobic av the admins can immediately ban them". On top of that, an additional hurdle than just "needs an account" to dissuade the usual insane rereg guys would be a nice-to-have but probably take further implementation.

This is probably the solution with the least amount of additional responsibility thrust on volunteer mods.

This is a fraction of the difficulty of the reports queue, a thing that already exists.

How many avatars do you think get changed a day that this is some impossible thing? At least as an easy stopgap (assuming there's not massive bullshit relating to this, manual approvals were the default originally), it's worth considering.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Ah, yes, the reports queue, that thing that so notably works completely perfectly and isn't the most kludged-together load-bearing shitfest. Come on man.

Also this is not just about the tech solution; having to put mods, who are, again, volunteers, and have them have to yay or nae every title change - a bunch of those being transphobic, doxxing attempts, or other heinous poo poo - is going to open a huge can of worms - as Serv pointed out, it opens up the mods/admins to significantly more abuse, whether real or perceived and burn out whoever has to handle it.

A solution that does not gently caress up an already strained volunteer workforce more than it already is, is probably the better solution overall.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

The mods and admins are going to have to deal with doxing attempts and other heinous poo poo whether avatar purchases are anonymous or not. If the avatars don't show up immediately and have to be approved everyone in the forums won't see them at least.

I don't see a way to completely get rid of that and still keep any kind of red text or avatar purchasing for others. People will just buy accounts to buy avatars, or wait out some time delay, or post 10 times to meet whatever posting requirements there are. People spend thousands of dollars on this place just changing avatars and poo poo, its the reason I only had to pay 10 bucks in 2006 and can still post here without ads. If you don't want those people to be able to doxx people through avatars, you have to have someone review the avatar or text before it is implemented.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Monathin posted:

Having someone - a volunteer, to be clear - have to manually approve every title change/request is psycho poo poo.

Lmao

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Monathin posted:

It should be linked to a bloody account and if an account buys something hosed, you sanction that account and automatically run an alt check and saction any alts accordingly.

There :colbert:

problem solved.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

StratGoatCom posted:

It should be linked to a bloody account and if an account buys something hosed, you sanction that account and automatically run an alt check and saction any alts accordingly.

There :colbert:

problem solved.

vpns are a thing, are way cheaper than an account, and give you near infinite ips to play with.

they used to advertise on this very site.

alt-checks only hit the laziest of crazies.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

vpns are a thing, are way cheaper than an account, and give you near infinite ips to play with.

Amend that to solved as it can be, if it's ~only~ as bad as alt-hunting and announcing themselves as someone to alt check that is still a massive step up from status quo.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Monathin posted:

On top of that, an additional hurdle than just "needs an account" to dissuade the usual insane rereg guys would be a nice-to-have but probably take further implementation.
What would you suggest as a feasible additional hurdle or detection method? Reg dates? Certain account characteristics? Or some other identification method?

I'm curious about what you're thinking here, because I'm not seeing a lot of ways to reasonably, consistently detect a specific miscreant outside of an account login. Even ignoring VPNs, IP addresses change constantly, and occasionally mark an entire state or ISP rather than a single person. Payment details are out of the reach of even Jeff, who only receives a generic transaction ID number from the payment processor. And I'd hope that nobody's willing to do the Twitter Verified submit-your-ID-documents thing for here, of all places.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The Kins posted:

What would you suggest as a feasible additional hurdle or detection method? Reg dates? Certain account characteristics? Or some other identification method?

I'm curious about what you're thinking here, because I'm not seeing a lot of ways to reasonably, consistently detect a specific miscreant outside of an account login. Even ignoring VPNs, IP addresses change constantly, and occasionally mark an entire state or ISP rather than a single person. Payment details are out of the reach of even Jeff, who only receives a generic transaction ID number from the payment processor. And I'd hope that nobody's willing to do the Twitter Verified submit-your-ID-documents thing for here, of all places.

You could do registered account with at least X posts and then if something was fishy there’s a chance they’d get sniffed out before that hit that post limit to buy avi changes.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

While true, it does at least add an additional hurdle/shithead tax of $10 per burner they want to buy an av with, making the minimum price per doxx-av $20. It's not perfect but there won't be a perfect solution.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I suspect anonymous harrassers would do burner accounts if it became tied to an account. So given some forums don't raise and even lower your post count, the next bar could be that av purchases can only be done with a Platinum account?

If burner account death squads become an issue just make it so your account has to be like, I don't know, a week old and post once or something to buy an avatar for other people, like how steam doesn't let you trade or receive games if you haven't bought something yourself. Sure, then dedicated creeps will buy sleeper cell accounts to just sit there and squat until they need to burn one like a psychopath. There's always going to be some weird lunatic who can bypass whatever it is that gets put up; but the goal, as pointed out, is to deter most people who would consider doing the lovely thing not just that one guy.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

The Kins posted:

Payment details are out of the reach of even Jeff, who only receives a generic transaction ID number from the payment processor.

I don't know why this lie keeps spreading, because he absolutely can see transaction details, including name and address and last four digits, etc.. But much like with the VPN problem, virtual cards, prepaid cards, etc. are easy to come by.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Nuebot posted:

If burner account death squads become an issue just make it so your account has to be like, I don't know, a week old and post once or something to buy an avatar for other people, like how steam doesn't let you trade or receive games if you haven't bought something yourself. Sure, then dedicated creeps will buy sleeper cell accounts to just sit there and squat until they need to burn one like a psychopath. There's always going to be some weird lunatic who can bypass whatever it is that gets put up; but the goal, as pointed out, is to deter most people who would consider doing the lovely thing not just that one guy.

I would say about a year or 2, maybe a few hundo posts but yeah.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

TheMightyBoops posted:

You could do registered account with at least X posts and then if something was fishy there’s a chance they’d get sniffed out before that hit that post limit to buy avi changes.

Yeah this is how I would do it. You might need to figure out a loophole for negative post accounts for the FYAD regulars but beyond that, make it a number that's hard to acquire in one day without attracting some mod suspicion. Like 30-50 or whatever the old j4g standards used to be.

e: Like, to be clear, as stated, nothing is going to be foolproof but having two different types of gates (pay for an account that purchases are linked to, post enough that you get clear to buy avs for others) will deter all but the most insane people.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Monathin posted:

Yeah this is how I would do it. You might need to figure out a loophole for negative post accounts for the FYAD regulars but beyond that, make it a number that's hard to acquire in one day without attracting some mod suspicion. Like 30-50 or whatever the old j4g standards used to be.

e: Like, to be clear, as stated, nothing is going to be foolproof but having two different types of gates (pay for an account that purchases are linked to, post enough that you get clear to buy avs for others) will deter all but the most insane people.

I was wondering if there’s an actual post count stored for a user as well as their shown post count that could be negative, I doubt it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
it's impossible to prevent some random outsider cyberstalker from posting somebody's address over and over again. all we can do is make it inconvenient

but we should at least take measures to make sure it's traceable so that if an actual community member does it, we can kick them the gently caress out of the community. the people doxxing goons aren't always outsiders

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Boba Pearl posted:

The main reason I don't agitate for this, or really comment on it is because as far as I know, this kind of harassment just isn't possible to stop. You either live with it until it goes away or you move.

I think the real solution here isn't just avatar traceability but also the ability to disable (temporarily or otherwise) other avatar purchasing for specific users. Your account should be "protected", for lack of a better word, then we don't need to play a cat and mouse game with the harasser

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't think changing the way avatars are bought helps anyone or the website in the long run for all the reasons that've been discussed above. even as someone who currently has a wack av because of a COVID thread weirdo, I also think buying red texts is too engrained in SA's culture to want to get rid of. but I also don't want particular users to be unsafe

a function where a user's account can be locked or protected from av buys in extenuating circumstances is the best route

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Here's the revenue from the SA store according to the owner. The highest revenue month was October 2021, and if each purchase was a $5 avatar purchase than that would be about 60 avatar buys a day. The lowest revenue month was May 2022 and that would be about 30 avatar buys a day at $5. Thats if all revenue was from the cheapest type of avatar purchase and no other source like the more expensive $10 version of buying someone an avatar or account purchases. There will be mistakes if admins/mods have to approve purchases, but unless my math is wrong then that's about the scope of purchasing were talking about.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

2021 Raw Store Revenue:
Jan: $8,642.35
Feb: $6,301.55
Mar: $6,394.30
Apr: $5,790.25
May: $6,786.75
Jun: $5,994.07
Jul: $5,780.50
Aug: $6,349.80
Sep: $7,959.04
Oct: $8,919.35
Nov: $6,809.95
Dec: $5,565.20

2022 Raw Store Revenue:
Jan: $6,350.65
Feb: $4,794.45
Mar: $5,566.65
Apr: $5,083.10
May: $4,136.20
Jun: $4,433.55
Jul: $6,689.95
Aug: $6,337.80
Sep: $4,991.05
Oct: $5,317.75
Nov: $4,753.00

I would argue that most of the negative avatar buys are not from people "outside" the community, but it's mostly internal forum drama that blows up and making them traceable would limit the amount of really bad red text purchases. Also, it's the insane people who are spending the most money and who will continue to doxx even if half measure barriers are put up like account age requirements.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

WarpDogs posted:

I think the real solution here isn't just avatar traceability but also the ability to disable (temporarily or otherwise) other avatar purchasing for specific users. Your account should be "protected", for lack of a better word, then we don't need to play a cat and mouse game with the harasser

Do both. That should basically put a lid on this as much as it will be.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

WarpDogs posted:

What is this suggestion, other than "popular posters get account level protection from forums culture"?

The fixes to this problem are obvious

Implement a tracability system or disable the feature for everyone. Please don't create a codified system of favoritism for SomethingAwful Preferred Users

Not by any means defending what happened to boba here, but holy poo poo just tear the idol down already, don't create elaborate workarounds so we can keep the paid forum punishment buttons. The feature has always been used to do insanely mean and antisocial poo poo to other people, if we are really at the point where we can't stomach this anymore, then maybe hostile avatar purchasing has run it's course

Engorged Pedipalps fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 22, 2023

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

ArfJason posted:

Jeffrey from my experiences isnt a bad or malicious dude but sometimes hes stubborn and does the disappearing act which is stupidly frustrating to deal with when poo poo goes sideways. But theres one thing that you all gotta know and its that this is something jeffrey wont be able to fix.

Make av purchases traceable. So? As boba points out the kinda freak whod spend time and effort stalking someone and then would pay 10 bucks to buy an avatar absolutely would pay the extra 10 for a throwaway account on top and youre back to square 1. Remove the av purchase function? They can always just make a thread posting that poo poo. Ip ban? Vpn services. There really is no technological implementation that solves this. Once the info is out the genie cant be put back in the bottle. This case is especially unfortunate cause boba pearl didnt realize that whole thing with their partners store. But i want to highlight that in the cases where you can influence the outcome, the only true solution is to prevent it, and to never ever give up any morsel of personal info, and this situation goes to show how crafty and dedicated people like this are.

VVVV
Oh yeah a hundred percent it makes the barrier slightly more inconvenient, and itll trap people who dont know about it on their main. Once. It should be an easy and welcome feature, but i fear that as mentioned earlier, people who do this poo poo already would deal with the minimal hassle and keep on with their nonsense. I just want people to realize this is only a bandaid on a gashing wound and everyone needs to be super careful with their online personas more than ever. Not a condemnation nor a call to inaction but rather to implore people to be more alert

I posted ab this in the small questions thread by accident but yah, exactly.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

This!
I get the instinct to turtle up and just not interact with people being dicks to me, I really do, Jeff, but doing that is just going to make people angrier at you. You're doing the exact same thing Lowtax would do, minus breaking things first before swanning off again- if you want people to stop being dicks to you, you need to actually interact with them on the regular. And you're going to have to accept that there is no way to please everyone, there is always going to be a contingent who are never going to be happy with you, for reasons either legitimate or imagined.

I get it sometimes sucks to run this site and/or be an admin but sometimes you gotta cowboy up

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

There are alts and reregs being banned every day already. Some of them were spending the most on avatars out of any other.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Couldn't Jeff just make the purchase price of buying someone else an avatar like $9999.99 or something until it's sorted? Seems like an easy way to to bottleneck it until there's tracking

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Made a separate feature request for authenticated avatar purchases, please voice support and/or technical/implementation thoughts and discussions for astral here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4040126

I'm submitting these in TECH to track the issue, "authenticated av buys" has been brought up multiple times in the past, so I'm hoping an FR thread or two will raise visibility and keep the issue from easily sliding into the background until the next crisis.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
why are red texts important?

serious question, I have never once in my life read one that I thought was interesting or funny or worth a second of my time

a better question is not just why they're important but why they're so important that we should keep them around at the expense of providing an anonymous way to doxx and harass users that makes money for the site owner

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i like red texts because every time i see someone with one that says "NAZI" or something i assume there's a 10% chance they're a nazi and a 90% chance they posted a take in the Final Fantasy XIV thread someone disagreed with

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah ideally 3 things need to happen:

Accounts tied to buying avatars for others.

Some sort of lockout for new accounts buying avatars for others (postcount/time)

A way for Admins to lock accounts from having their avatar changed

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

why are red texts important?

serious question, I have never once in my life read one that I thought was interesting or funny or worth a second of my time

a better question is not just why they're important but why they're so important that we should keep them around at the expense of providing an anonymous way to doxx and harass users that makes money for the site owner

present case and similar ones excluded, ive always found them a badge of honor, because you made someone angry enough to spend money to change your avatar into an impotent rant, and thats the crux of it; they spent money, youve won before you even knew there was a fight lol

but anyway, i think most goons misinterpret the main point i was getting at, which isnt to throw your hands up and not implement any measures to make it more inconvenient, but that the real solution is to just not have the info out there at all. This is not chastising ppl for slipping up, im just begging you for your sanity and safety to not let it happen to you in the first place, because these technological implementations are not solutions for a social problem.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Good that this gets fixed.

Happy to make (another) separate thread here, but how do we get Jeff to do the other Jeff-only things without needing another doxxing-or-doxxing-like event?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ArfJason posted:

but anyway, i think most goons misinterpret the main point i was getting at, which isnt to throw your hands up and not implement any measures to make it more inconvenient, but that the real solution is to just not have the info out there at all. This is not chastising ppl for slipping up, im just begging you for your sanity and safety to not let it happen to you in the first place, because these technological implementations are not solutions for a social problem.

Nah. Personal online safety is important, but instead of victim blaming we should implement changes that allow us to target the psychos who want to doxx other users because we don’t want them here at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lets do both