Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Well this is a bummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Green Wing posted:

What the gently caress. Yeah good changes. Jesus christ.

I'm glad that the supposed actionable death threats actually did cause an all-hands response behind the scenes.

Somehow even worse than spr in the audacity. At least spr admitted it at the end.

Spr also didn't have a pre-existing example of why doing that is a bad and lovely idea.

When did the spr thing even happen? Like, May? Hardly a few months ago??

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Red Metal posted:

she got caught in march, but she'd apparently done it at least one other time some years ago

I know that, but it came out only a couple months ago.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

WarpDogs posted:

it's even wilder than that. SPR's thing went down the last time we had a run of people getting terrible avatars, and it was obvious she either liked the attention and wanted some for herself, or she thought it was an effective way to own her posting enemies by framing them

but one of the people most impacted during that time was Boba herself. She even made a heartfelt statement talking about how hurt she was by SPR's actions and advocated for SPR to be perma'd because the awful knock on effects it was going to have on her and other vulnerable users

so I don't know what would be more insane: that Boba was also buying herself avatars at that time and just wasn't caught, or that she was genuinely deeply hurt by SPR's actions and yet still thought "yeah I'd like to do that myself someday"

It really is mind bending. It's hard not to take it as completely cynical given that it was clearly done to garner sympathy and promote the comic. Given all of the above it's almost worse than when SPR did it. Especially given the posts she made about how her enemies will never own her because all it does is make her comic more successful. It's really wretched. Like wishcasting via abusive avatars, some kind of hosed up approach to magic