Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Judgy Fucker posted:

It makes me wonder, what was it that made him give up and walk away? There had to be a straw that was the last.

Also come the gently caress on and make av purchases traceable. You can go back to the aether once you’ve done the right thing, Jeff.

I think something about how the Wintertime situation went down soured him

The last official business I can think of involving him was the mod guidelines topic, itself years overdue, and the only thing to come from it was an admin and mod getting banned for unrelated reasons

It sucks because I think he's just stuck in a negative feedback loop wherein he thinks we all hate him and thus he shouldn't even bother, but by ignoring things (like op) people will get more mad and frustrated.

SA is fickle but on the plus side that means even a single right move (like op) would immediately result in a lot of people being happy about how things are going. Just gotta break out of that loop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Boba Pearl posted:

The main reason I don't agitate for this, or really comment on it is because as far as I know, this kind of harassment just isn't possible to stop. You either live with it until it goes away or you move.

I think the real solution here isn't just avatar traceability but also the ability to disable (temporarily or otherwise) other avatar purchasing for specific users. Your account should be "protected", for lack of a better word, then we don't need to play a cat and mouse game with the harasser

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

What is this suggestion, other than "popular posters get account level protection from forums culture"?

I think this is a pretty pessimistic view of things. I mean, the way it works right now is that any mod of any subforum can blank an avatar. That is way more prone to favoritism, especially when it's interforum nonsense, but it's almost never abused that way

The suggestion is recognizing the fact that we're talking about only a handful of situations where the avatar system is being used for abuse. I remember awhile back Fluffdaddy saying that a noticeable perk of being admin is that people can no longer buy him awful racist avatars because admin accounts already have this protection. It'd be neat if it was something admins could grant to other people and not just a side benefit of being admin

ultimately we should do both, it just seems like there's a great deal of reluctance (or technical infeasibility) to modify things at a store level, whereas the account protection flag apparently already exists for the admin user group

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

haha, wow

I remember learning about Turtilicious from -- of all people!!! - Boba Pearl back in one of the original iterations of PYF Sagas. This post now comes across as especially, uh, well, revealing, I guess??:

Boba Pearl posted:

Turtlicious fell into a hole because she was mentally ill, and didn't have access to medication. She posted a lot about things, and had multiple cries for help as she tried to give away all her things so she could kill herself, or blew up on people for small things, or related everything to her traumatic upbringing. Almost every post of hers was a desperate cry for help.

As someone with the same mental illnesses, it's easy to see she lied a lot for attention when she was off the meds. The fact that she posted about bombing poo poo, dismantling explosives, and stuff like that, is I think a lie that she was telling because in her hosed up little world, being an eco terrorist was the coolest most bad rear end thing she could be, but even so it has to be treated as credible, because you can't have terrorist 101 poo poo on your website.

Jeffrey has mentioned that she is going through the transition process, that she now has a support system that is taking care of her, and has found medicine that actually works.

it backs up what Jeff said about why he let her back in. this kind of expositional monologue about yourself is also straight out of a soap opera and makes this already surreal situation even more unbelievable

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Heath posted:

Spr also didn't have a pre-existing example of why doing that is a bad and lovely idea.

When did the spr thing even happen? Like, May? Hardly a few months ago??

it's even wilder than that. SPR's thing went down the last time we had a run of people getting terrible avatars, and it was obvious she either liked the attention and wanted some for herself, or she thought it was an effective way to own her posting enemies by framing them

but one of the people most impacted during that time was Boba herself. She even made a heartfelt statement talking about how hurt she was by SPR's actions and advocated for SPR to be perma'd because the awful knock on effects it was going to have on her and other vulnerable users

so I don't know what would be more insane: that Boba was also buying herself avatars at that time and just wasn't caught, or that she was genuinely deeply hurt by SPR's actions and yet still thought "yeah I'd like to do that myself someday"