Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

For what it's worth Boba Pearl has mentioned having a stalker (who may not have a SA account and just lurks the forums? I don't remember) so it actually is possible the AV purchaser is a third party shithead and not related to the COVID thread posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Spinz posted:

Nah
I get it

While today's event was awful this is still the way SA avs have worked since day 1 with minimal damage, certainly minimal in the last 10 years

Kiwifarms doesn't exist anymore even

There has definitely been a shift in the way AV purchases are viewed within the past ~2 years, if you go back in the archives you can see suggestions of de-anonymizing AVs being laughed off as ridiculous and whiny. But, people can change their mind, it's fine. You're allowed to do that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Yeah. I think people are at least half shitposting and it does look like an obvious sequence of events without greater context, but I genuinely don't think it's as simple as whoever Boba Pearl was replying to when the AV change happened.

It does contribute to the point though that if nothing else offsite lurkers buying avatars should really be turned off, there is basically no non-psycho use for it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't really think it was about money. Like, yes plugging your patreon while getting doxxed by yourself is totally laughable, but lbr it must have amounted to like, a hundred dollars at most? Or at least it would require a whole nother level of delusion to think that forums drama could propel you from financial failure to success and I'm not ready to think that lowly of her.