Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I've made the forums over 400$ and I've spent maybe 50 on myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm also in direct contact, he's not doing nothing.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Something I don't think Jeffs ever adequately explained, but I can, is that there is NO traceability to the level people are expecting here. I have many means to donate to me, and you can put a fake name and address in all of them. This guy regularly gives me money through paypal and stripe, normally 4.00$, with fun names like "Die Tranny" and addresses like "40 percent lane." I work with police, I have about a dozen fake email addresses, I have about a dozen different credit card numbers, with colorful names and slogans. My partner, who I won't link too directly out of wanting to keep her safe, has a sticker store, and it doxxed me at one time because the customer support email and address was my home address. He regularly makes purchases with them to see if it'll happen again. some places require you to put an actual factual address, but you can pull any address up on Google Maps and put that in. When you make a purchase with a credit card the credit card company never actually checks or sends your address to the payment processor. As long as the number, name, expiration, and security code match, it just accepts it. Hell he's put MY address in as a fake address, which is fun.

The main reason I don't agitate for this, or really comment on it is because as far as I know, this kind of harassment just isn't possible to stop. You either live with it until it goes away or you move.

jeff and I talk, a lot, we both love the forums, we both tried to buy the forums, we both want to see this community thrive, I think that's in part why he lets me use the forums as a small base to run my comic community out of. I know people don't like him, but I trust him implicitly. I don't think he's cruel or callous or has given up. I'll always go to bat for Jeff, because he's a genuinely good guy, who helped me personally when I was in a very dark place.

i don't know what the code base for this place is like, and this might not be a simple fix. I truly don't believe he'd leave it running like this if it was a simple fix, if only because cool calculations say crazy guy who spends 10$ to buy a lovely av will probably pay 20$ to buy a fake account and a fake av.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
That wasn't victim blaming, and I didn't take arf's post that way.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I was the one who said I slipped up, I literally used the word mistake when describing how I got doxxed. He was reiterating what I said, not making a judgement. He's repeatedly said he's not making a judgement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I agree with Arfjason is saying, and was sharing how I got doxxed because I wanted to show how easy it was. I'm so loving exhausted with this conversation, so I'm stepping out of it, but PLEASE be careful. That's all anyone is saying. Be careful. You deserve to take care of your personal info. That's all, no more needs to be inferred.