Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

FirstnameLastname posted:

at this point idg there's no queue whatsoever to screen doxx & hateful/abusive stuff, or even a flag for people who've already had hosed up avs purchased to require mod/admin approval. it doesn't seem like that would be difficult to implement since it wouldn't have to touch the payment side or change it at all

Grip it and rip it posted:

Anyone got a link to what happened? This sounds like some goontelephone.txt

a poster was doxxed with what was claimed to be their address and a death threat in a custom av purchase 2x in a row and that poster has been given hosed up avs previously and there's still nothing to prevent it from happening

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

what the gently caress lmao

nobody wants to be doxxed, public information is public and anyone psychotic enough to use it to harass someone will do it. SA can either make it easy or make it hard, it's completely on the platform to provide some semblance of safety. the current policy makes it unbelievably easy in a way that would absolutely not fly in current year if the forums were any larger or more prominent than they are.

this is really weird victim blaming, i don't get it at all.
i didn't read it as blaming, just a word of caution and general advice on the best practices to prevent/avoid that stuff happening, arf wasn't saying nothing at all should be done to make it harder for people to do.

unless i misread it, the point was that the only genuine protection anyone has, is to keep the amount of personally identifying information connected to their online persona as low as possible, because there's legitimately no way to fully stop online stalking/harassment, due to how effortless it is for people to use VPNs and new emails etc. to bypass any kind of barrier or deterrent if they're really determined to gently caress with someone, and that because of this, looking for a full web-based solution to it isn't gonna be successful for this situation, or any other online stalking harassment scenario

its good advice

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

idea: opt-in option when someone gets an av buy, they could have a window of time where it's shown to only them, and they can hit accept on it to show immediately, or report it if it's doxxing threat stuff & automatically get a title cert (w/ ban+30 or w/e for misuse) otherwise it'll go through automatically in (6-24h, you could set it to 6hr after last login since av purchase or 8am that posters timezone & avoid nighttime issues)

could prevent users from purchasing their own av until either reporting or OKing their received one so people get to see their money being spent (could also be locked in w/ a timer based on how long they waited before they can change it if they OK it, so people can't game it at all)

that way the system can stay, no av mod-queue, no login requirement or change to the store, but potentially harmful poo poo's not immediately displayed to everyone and people targeted don't get forced to either spend their own money fixing it or chase down a mod/admin to blank it - the powertrip of forcing the other person to react to their attack Immediately is usually a major driver in these kinda things.
if you give the users an instant way to negate that (one that's penalized harshly for misuse to dodge allowed titled ofc), it immediately removes that reward for them entirely

problem solved?

alternatively, if logins were tied to other user av purchases, u could just require like 50 posts and 60d account age and that would likely do the trick too, but maybe more work idk

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 23, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Cranappleberry posted:

zero avatar changes for other users, possibly annoys the admins. I see no downsides.

yeah the reason i went with the idea of having it go to the recipient was just because it's a screening system that doesn't add more to the people already doing all the work & wouldn't make people have to go ask for help right away while it's happening and they're still super upset i know id really hate making that PM, especially more than once.
if it was admin/mod run it would take a second for each one or batch, but there would be perpetual PMs from
scorned politics posters trying to rush their burns thru

if it was a profile setting, could even have a lil field where you put in a buddy's username and them receive the accept/report prompt or w/e itd be like a proxy, that way the direct harassment part is handled too. there's only a few people i can think who'd have reason for any of it & i know they've got a lotta people who'd be willing to do that & otherwise it wouldn't change for anyone

if it gets changed to where accounts are required and Jeffery wants to keep the totally anonymous option there could an email option for just those too, idk what'd be easiest to implement & just throwing out ideas but i feel like there's enough there to stop this from continuing to happen

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Well.....I suspect the first part of this is not true. The presence of someone writing credible death threats on the site in any form is serious as hell. I've been looking into it for a few days at this point, including contacting the payment processor and digging through the database, and got as much information as I could - this was doxxing combined with a death threat and this is easily warranted. I wanted to see if the person that did this could be found despite our store's limitations, and, if they are posting on this site, permaban them, and provide information to Boba Pearl to contact the police, if she chose to. Unfortunately, I am forced to conclude that Boba Pearl purchased these avatars for herself. The core of it is that she recently posted from one of the IPs that I have associated with one of the two avatar purchases, in a way that does not line up at all with the stories she told me. There are a bunch of details beyond that, but I don't really want to lay them all out here. It's bad and manipulative. Boba Pearl is someone I consider a friend, and it hurts to be lied to and misled in this way. I just really can't deal with writing up a big long post about the private conversations I had with her leading up to this conclusion, but I also can't leave it unaddressed.

To be real with all of you, I am....aghast. Boba, I went out on a limb by allowing you to return to posting on this site, previously posting as permabanned user Turtlicious, and I just.....don't know what to say. You posted about missing SPR the morning you did this. Did you not remember how this hurt people? Do you not see how concerned and worried this makes people in this community?
wow

this bums me out :/

Lady Radia posted:

I hope it isn’t cringe to say this is pretty emotionally distressing.

TheSwizzler posted:

It sucks, I’m very disappointed.