Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

susan b buffering posted:

that's great. he should also shut off buying avatars for others until traceability is improved.

This is effectively shutting it down for good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've written up a brief, specific, and actionable feature request in TECH that should improve the av buy situation if implemented, if anyone wants to look and chime in with their own thoughts and feedback

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4040077

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 22, 2023

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Every solution has problems, it's a question of whether those problems are smaller and worth the tradeoff to solve the bigger problem.

"Adding another duty to the mod list" seems like a good trade for "a usable measure to greatly reduce and even outright prevent something like this from happening again" to me

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Monathin posted:

Having someone - a volunteer, to be clear - have to manually approve every title change/request is psycho poo poo.

Lmao

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

vpns are a thing, are way cheaper than an account, and give you near infinite ips to play with.

they used to advertise on this very site.

alt-checks only hit the laziest of crazies.

While true, it does at least add an additional hurdle/shithead tax of $10 per burner they want to buy an av with, making the minimum price per doxx-av $20. It's not perfect but there won't be a perfect solution.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Made a separate feature request for authenticated avatar purchases, please voice support and/or technical/implementation thoughts and discussions for astral here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4040126

I'm submitting these in TECH to track the issue, "authenticated av buys" has been brought up multiple times in the past, so I'm hoping an FR thread or two will raise visibility and keep the issue from easily sliding into the background until the next crisis.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

death cob for cutie posted:

am I the only one who can't figure out where this guy is going

They're saying they talked to Boba who admitted to being turt, and it seems she's currently saying she uses vpns all the time (presumably as a defense for why the IPs were the same)

That's how it reads to me at least