Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
It's come to my attention that many people have not seen critically acclaimed anime Revolutionary Girl Utena. Let's fix that together, in book club format! If you've seen it already, even better, but please don't spoil new watchers!

Every week, let's watch three episodes on our own, then come to this thread and discuss them. That means that discussion of episodes 1-3 will begin on Monday, August 28, 2023.

Because the current license-holder has uploaded the entire series in sub and dub to Youtube, I don't even have to tell you to go buy them! Here they are:

Sub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TQFlVcPyUA&list=PLrrh84y760v-hDEulas0Tp_wiQy0FcjLl

Dub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdWr5YCoRGM&list=PLrrh84y760v9xDNuOiG6x1DsCG70LVQi7

Because this series has some important spoilers, let's spoiler tag things from every episode until their discussion date comes up.

:siren: Please note! This series contains a large amount of extremely upsetting content. If you have any suspicion you may experience a trauma response to media, please read a comprehensive trigger warning for this series. I will not take responsibility for listing all of the triggering content in this series, because the list is very long. :siren:

If you have a suggestion about the format, please let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I’ve never seen beyond episode 5 of Utena, so it’s time to fix that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL25C0H9vVw

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'll try to keep up with this. I watched the first 4-6 eps like half a decade ago and just never got back around to it. It was alright....I did not like chu chu though.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
oh boy time to rewatch utena

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
:thumbsup: i've never seen utena and i want to become a better person

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Big Leg posted:

:thumbsup: i've never seen utena and i want to become a better person

It's true, watching Utena does in fact make you a better person :hmmyes:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Leraika posted:

oh boy time to rewatch utena

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
ground floor, Utena is one of my all-time favorite shows

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Whats it like?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

A jargogle posted:

Whats it like?

Utena has the broad structure of an episodic magical-girl show set in a high-dollar private academy. However, there are many episodes which deviate from this structure.

Other aspects that may inform whether you want to watch it are an unusual art style, highly abstract visual presentation, themes of mental illness, and swordfighting.

It's really good.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Never watched so time to take the opportunity I guess lmao

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Do you ever wonder what it would be like if Sofia Coppola, Yorgos Lanthimos, and David Lynch locked themselves in a room and said "gently caress it, let's make an anime."

This is a special experience. Enjoy.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
another perk to utena:

the music loving owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OUAbdufRUs

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Leraika posted:

another perk to utena:

the music loving owns

:agreed:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
| thought it was illegal to have not seen Utena. I will lurk this thread, silently judging all who waited so long.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Hell, you could even rewatch it, and discuss the episodes with us.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
All I have to add before we :getin: is that the YouTube version looks perfectly fine for first-time viewers, but if you're an old fan and want something special, there's an HD remaster that is crisp as gently caress and very much worth chasing down.

OP for comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG12ghcBKvw

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've been meaning to watch this for ages so I'll try and keep up.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Ohtori Akio posted:

Hell, you could even rewatch it, and discuss the episodes with us.

Oh I will, I just figure it's better for newcomers if I don't say that much during the journey.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

XboxPants posted:

All I have to add before we :getin: is that the YouTube version looks perfectly fine for first-time viewers, but if you're an old fan and want something special, there's an HD remaster that is crisp as gently caress and very much worth chasing down.

OP for comparison:

HD's also on Crunchyroll. :smug:

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I've got the box set that cost hundreds of dollars but I don't own a blu-ray drive. So I will simply be watching from Youtube.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

buy a ps5

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i'm unemployed lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll watch because I only half remember the show and I'm probably getting scenes crossed with the movie.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ohtori Akio posted:

i'm unemployed lol

Steal a ps5

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I have watched Utena so many times, there's no way I'm not parking myself in the back here.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My post-thanksgiving dinner tradition for years was to dust off Bubble Bobble before food was done, have the Family Dinner, then watch the first Utena VHS while everything settled.

Then grab a slice of pie and whipped cream at the end of On The Night of the Ball so that I'd be ready to wind down at the end of Sunlit Garden Prelude.

It took me years to get past that first chunk of episodes, but man are they just some awesome comfort eps for me.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 30 days!)

watched the first episode.
i know its the iconic character design, but laughed at the bobble heads on the stick figure bodies.
Also, wow it was 1997, thought it was way older, like 1992 or something. Or akin to some of the 80's shoujo shows.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Wakaba ran so that Nami could wobble :colbert:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, I haven't re-watched in quite a few years. I guess I'd be down for that.

GateOfD posted:

Or akin to some of the 80's shoujo shows.

The character designs IIRC were based on The Rose of Versailles manga from the 70's.

StupidNameNobody
Aug 12, 2023

People have been telling me to watch this for years, guess there's no better time than the present.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I’m not surprised that there are so many people that dropped the show early in here. Utena is definitely a show that gets better as it goes on and you have to stick out some of the early rough parts.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I watched a couple of episodes in high school and thought it was dumb as poo poo then. Saw the movie at DragonCon 20 years ago and that didn't do much to change my opinion either. I had intended to get in on the last group watch several years ago but was in a travel burst and couldn't keep up; we'll see if I can stick with it this time.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Leraika posted:

another perk to utena:

the music loving owns

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Midjack posted:

I watched a couple of episodes in high school and thought it was dumb as poo poo then. Saw the movie at DragonCon 20 years ago and that didn't do much to change my opinion either. I had intended to get in on the last group watch several years ago but was in a travel burst and couldn't keep up; we'll see if I can stick with it this time.

for me it def took awhile to really like the show. you have to get through a significant chunk to start seeing the story it is trying to portray, but when the darker themes and elements hit (imho starting in the 2nd arc), they hit hard.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Utena rewatch? :letsgo:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I've just been thinking that it's time for a rewatch, so I'm up for this.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Watched this for the first time last year and it ruled. Wasn't sure what I was getting into at first but it ended up being extremely worth it. Think I'll join in the rewatch if only to hear all the duel songs again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

XboxPants posted:

OP for comparison:

Yeah screw that I'm digging out my VCR and VHS fansubs :corsair:
(Actually I've been meaning to digitize them for years so I think now is the time.)

I'm looking forward to the reactions. It's still my favorite anime ever.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 27, 2023