Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
godlike posts big leg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Big Leg posted:

the most important thing in the entire movie that i didn't notice until i went picture hunting: the wakaba car

I'm happy to report that the little yellow and green emblem on her bumper is called a Wakaba mark and it's used to designate inexperienced drivers. They're new at this, but they're trying to escape the cycle!

Big Leg posted:

the movie is at it's best when it reinterprets iconic imagery or conversations from the show. pictured: chasms and beds, but slightly different this time around

the movie is at it's worst when utena and anthy aren't together talking. the touga stuff in particular feels like something they ran out of time for in the show and someone really wanted to make it part of the Authentic Utena Experience, but it's just too alien and incompatible with the rest of the movie. shiori gets to be scary and touga is randomly hiding under a sheet and everything looks gorgeous even if it doesn't thematically resonate with me so i'm not going to complain too much.

https://i.imgur.com/9BlYcUm.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/wICWeYR.mp4

Your theory about the Touga stuff is I believe actually what happened. My understanding is they wanted to put his backstory in the show but weren't able to for some reason. Maybe it got too explicit about the child abuse for the timeslot. All the imagery in this movie looks incredible even if sometimes the meaning is a little suspect, but when it's on point it's on point.

Big Leg posted:

the architecture of the movie is really fricking cool. here's some stuff i liked:

the shifting scenery props and backgrounds that remind us how staged and artificial the academy is

there aren't any spinning roses in the movie (unless i forgot), but pretty much every time someone breaks the 4th wall they're surrounded by columns with rose designs or scrollwork (when the shadow players remember akio exists 50 minutes into the movie, when utena and touga first meet and their conversation is something like 'hey we're back but this time it's different')

my favorite use of architecture are all the shots where characters are webbed in, pinned down, or straight up impaled by some element in the background.

The way the school looks in this movie is maybe my favorite thing about it. Some of the weirdest and coolest stuff I've seen. That's a good observation about the shots where characters are being grabbed by the backdrops, I'd never noticed that and it makes sense given everything about Ohtori

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

chrome line posted:

I'm happy to report that the little yellow and green emblem on her bumper is called a Wakaba mark and it's used to designate inexperienced drivers.

Oh drat, I never realized that. This is an awesome detail on a movie that's absurdly full of details in nearly every shot.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Big Leg posted:

the architecture of the movie is really fricking cool. here's some stuff i liked:

the shifting scenery props and backgrounds that remind us how staged and artificial the academy is

there aren't any spinning roses in the movie (unless i forgot), but pretty much every time someone breaks the 4th wall they're surrounded by columns with rose designs or scrollwork (when the shadow players remember akio exists 50 minutes into the movie, when utena and touga first meet and their conversation is something like 'hey we're back but this time it's different')

my favorite use of architecture are all the shots where characters are webbed in, pinned down, or straight up impaled by some element in the background.

I hadn't realized how much it feels akin to the architecture in Yuri Kuma Arashi.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

chrome line posted:

I'm happy to report that the little yellow and green emblem on her bumper is called a Wakaba mark and it's used to designate inexperienced drivers. They're new at this, but they're trying to escape the cycle!

oh my god. i love that so much

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Maera Sior posted:

I hadn't realized how much it feels akin to the architecture in Yuri Kuma Arashi.

adding this to the top of my anime queue immediately without any other context

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i never finished yurikuma but pretty much anything by our boy is good content for an utenahead

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Ohtori Akio posted:

i never finished yurikuma but pretty much anything by our boy is good content for an utenahead

i might need a tiny ikuhara break but apparently watching sailor moon with my sister when i was 10 was actually a fundamental life experience

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Big Leg posted:

i might need a tiny ikuhara break but apparently watching sailor moon with my sister when i was 10 was actually a fundamental life experience

why would you ever think it wasn't

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
for those looking for an ikuhara palate cleanser, i've it on good authority that a K-On! re/watch will be popping up at some point soon

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Ohtori Akio posted:

why would you ever think it wasn't

i guess it takes time to figure out if sailor moon or reboot was the most important thing you watched when you were a little kid

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Ohtori Akio posted:

for those looking for an ikuhara palate cleanser, i've it on good authority that a K-On! re/watch will be popping up at some point soon

the k-on re/watch will not start until you post your movie thoughts

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Big Leg posted:

the k-on re/watch will not start until you post your movie thoughts

youve checkmated me

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.

chrome line posted:

Your theory about the Touga stuff is I believe actually what happened. My understanding is they wanted to put his backstory in the show but weren't able to for some reason. Maybe it got too explicit about the child abuse for the timeslot.

Takehito Koyasu, who voices Touga, was unable to be in the second season of Utena-- I've heard that it was due to scheduling conflicts or that it might have been due to illness, and I can't recall which claim was better sourced atm. Either way, Touga's backstory was probably set to be revealed in the second season had they been able to include him. We'd have gotten a very different BRS if Touga had been an active character in it.

Here is the text of Enokido's quote regarding Touga's background, spoilered and obviously content warning for sexual abuse of a child:

Although the TV series touched upon Touga’s younger days, the film goes into more details – the wound of Touga that was never directly depicted. In his younger days, Touga was a normal kid who enjoyed happy times with his friend Saionji Kyouichi and his younger sister Nanami. However, he came to know his unfortunate fate from the time he was ordered by his parents to wear his hair long. His parents sold him to the Kiryuu family. Although he was an adopted son on the surface, the instinctive Touga knew what that meant. And in order to protect his younger sister, he accepted his lot. Being sold. We did not go into depicting what Touga’s parents obtained by going as far as selling their son. We would like you to think of it as a kind of metaphor.

And Touga accepted in silence the sexual abuse from his new parents. His personality changed while he made a magnanimous show of enjoying the abuses in order to prevent his personality from splitting. The change took place in a spot so deep in his mind, that even those closest to him did not notice. Saionji and Nanami never noticed out of their innocence. And Touga never told his secret to anyone. It is said that a human being gains whatever he lost in exchange. So what did Touga gain in exchange at that point in time? It was the sense of alienation from being abused every night and seeing his innocent friend and sister during the day. The alienated self.

And it is out of this awareness of alienation that you come to obtain a higher human and sexual self-awareness. In the TV series, Saionji always felt that he was one step behind Touga. Although the two are more or less equal in terms of ability, what Saionji lacked was that sense of alienation.

This comes from the Shoujo Kakumei Utena Privacy Files, which tbh I can't remember where they are on our trash heap of a site so here's a link to where they were posted on the old forum. They're an interesting read-- Enokido did a lot of the story work for Touga, Akio, and Anthy-centric episodes so he's got some interesting insights.

If anyone still wants more Utena, you can also check out the light novels or if there's anyone interested I could dig up wherever we're hosting the game files now, or of course there's always the new musicals, which imo were fantastic.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So something I've been wanting to highlight since this thread began is how brilliant I think the first season is at giving you information about the greater mysteries of the show without you realising because at that point you still aren't really sure of how seriously to take anything or how deeply you should be looking at things.

For example, on a rewatch it is very clear that Anthy intentionally gets Miki to duel Utena by playing the song from his childhood right at the point where it seems like he would never want to duel. When you're first watching it you probably assume it's a coincidence because Anthy is so passive and how could she possibly have known about that song and why would she want Miki to duel? But when you rewatch it's obvious what she's doing. She does much the same thing with Juri by "co-incidentally" offering her a flower in an identical way to how Shiori once did. This foreshadows both that she's an active participant in the dueling game and that she has access to ways to know these things about the characters supernaturally. The second season gets more overt with it like when she gets Wakaba to duel by wearing the hair-clip Saoinji made in front of her. It's a clear case of antagonism but you can still kind of excuse it as unintentional up until the reveal that Anthy has been Mamiya the whole time.

But I think the best example of the show showing you something without you realising it is with the Nanami episodes. Because lets be clear, every single funny Nanami episode is actually about Anthy loving with Nanami using magic. Anthy is straight up using magic in every one of those episodes. She foils all of Nanami plans to humiliate her in the first one, she intentionally switches bodies with Utena and sends Nanami to India*, she turns Nanami into a cow and she makes Nanami think she's laid an egg. All just to gently caress with her.

But because it's all played out as a joke and Anthy is so good at pretended to be passive you don't seriously put it together that this is a real bit of foreshadowing and a reveal that Anthy is much more powerful and has much more agency than she is pretending to have. I really do think this is a brilliant bit of writing and a clever way to slip some clues under the audiences guard. There are a lot more examples of stuff like this in the show so any first-timers really should consider a rewatch at some point because it's great picking up on this stuff.

Btw I favor a quite realist view of the show as you can tell.

* BTW a really cool detail is that when Nanami is going to India it's very stylised but you can see that her plane is taking off from inside the campus, which also foreshadows that the Academy itself is essentially a weird pocket-dimension that doesn't really exist in the real world. The "India" she visits is probably also this.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 13, 2023

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Nephthys posted:

But I think the best example of the show showing you something without you realising it is with the Nanami episodes. Because lets be clear, every single funny Nanami episode is actually about Anthy loving with Nanami using magic. Anthy is straight up using magic in every one of those episodes. She foils all of Nanami plans to humiliate her in the first one, she intentionally switches bodies with Utena and sends Nanami to India*, she turns Nanami into a cow and she makes Nanami think she's laid an egg. All just to gently caress with her.

Btw I favor a quite realist view of the show as you can tell.

lmao
not attacking your notes just very funny to compare these sentences

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Lady Radia posted:

lmao
not attacking your notes just very funny to compare these sentences

Lol, well a bit of a problem with talking about this show is how much you consider any of it to actually be happening. We've seen the idea brought up in the thread that all of this is just an allegory for Anthy's own self-actualization and I think a lot of people do believe that the series is partially symbolism and the mechanics of what's happening aren't relevant.

I prefer to think that the events in the series are real, in the sense that Anthy and Dios were real supernatural beings and after Anthy sealed Dios' power she created the school as a sort of separate reality and on Akio's behalf drew in these people burdened by their pasts to be duelists that he would use to try to regain the power of Dios. So instead of putting something down to symbolism or stylisation, I try to think of it as "Anthy doing it with magic".

I think this is pretty internally consistent with the show. The power of Dios is an important plot element. We do see that magic is real in the show, in serious non-stylised moments. The school is presented as being separate from reality which is why Mikage and Utena both "graduate" when they let go of their self-harming ideals and essentially cease to exist in the school. I think it's cool to think about this stuff on top of what everything means in terms of the characters themselves.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 14, 2023

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
The question of whether it's happening or not is entirely vacuuous, it's a work of fiction and the meaning and message is the same either way. Rhetoric is a perversion of poetry.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Nephthys posted:

But because it's all played out as a joke and Anthy is so good at pretended to be passive you don't seriously put it together that this is a real bit of foreshadowing and a reveal that Anthy is much more powerful and has much more agency than she is pretending to have. I really do think this is a brilliant bit of writing and a clever way to slip some clues under the audiences guard. There are a lot more examples of stuff like this in the show so any first-timers really should consider a rewatch at some point because it's great picking up on this stuff.

Also, it only started because Nanami (re)traumatized Anthy back in episode 3. Although I do think after a few rounds of it Anthy is just a bully gaslighting Nanami.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

Also, it only started because Nanami (re)traumatized Anthy back in episode 3. Although I do think after a few rounds of it Anthy is just a bully gaslighting Nanami.

I suspect that Anthy does dislike Nanami, that bit with the saw is the closest Anthy ever gets to outright aggression. I doubt she cares about Nanami's bullying enough to want revenge but Nanami's ignorant crush on her brother probably rubs Anthy the wrong way.

Or it might just be the case that bullying Nanami is really funny.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I think it can be both because it's funny and a form of petty revenge. But I also think Anthy is trying to warn Nanami in some ways. Trying to open her eyes to the way Touga treats her. so that maybe she can get out before it's too late.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Multiple motivations is especially credible because Anthy is someone going through growth and pain who is not at all in control of her emotions. A split reasoning between what she tells herself (I hate that bitch) and what she feels (I hope that bitch doesn't get abused too) seems very likely.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

The question of whether it's happening or not is entirely vacuuous, it's a work of fiction and the meaning and message is the same either way. Rhetoric is a perversion of poetry.

This is a bad and dumb post! How much you read into the events of the series actually occurring, being Anthy’s imagination, multiple combinations therein (for example Utena is ftw so I don’t like interpretations where she’s not real or worse, dead), etc, factors very much into how you perceive the motivations and actions you see, which in turn colors your understanding and interpretation.

Consider the poster talking about how Anthy used her Druid powers to have animals attack Nanami in India. If Anthy is just imagining that, it can indicate underlying resentment she has for Nanami, and envy of Utena being so outgoing and popular; if it’s real, even setting aside the magic poo poo, it leads to understanding the growing bond between Utena and her fiancé, and there’s countless other ways to read that, all of which lend deeper insight into the themes or meaning!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

imo. whatever

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Everyone in this thread is aware that television programs are moving images with sound, not reality. We are posting our takes about them for entertainment purposes. Utena is poetic because it gives people many different impressions of what is actually going on. We are not trying to end the thread with a co-signed manifesto about the correct reading.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
the correct reading is that nanami is ftw

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
actually yeah we can all cosign that one

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Leraika posted:

yep

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Leraika posted:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

Everyone in this thread is aware that television programs are moving images with sound, not reality. We are posting our takes about them for entertainment purposes. Utena is poetic because it gives people many different impressions of what is actually going on. We are not trying to end the thread with a co-signed manifesto about the correct reading.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Leraika posted:

this was my biggest takeaway as a first timer for sure

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Nanami's pretty good yeah.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

mrw the haters and losers come out to play

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
This show is really good. I think my favorite part is the song that plays when Utena marches up the stairs. It's relentless! I'm on episode 16 and things are getting wacky.

there was a shot where Miki's sister has been brainwashed and is about to suck the sword out of him and she puts her hand on him and it's like EXACTLY like how Gendo puts his hand on Rei in End of Evangelion. I have no idea how the timing of these shows lines up but I love seeing stuff like that even if it's a complete coincidence. I love seeing things repeat and mix and show up in different ways over time and in various things (when they're good of course)

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 7, 2024

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

SHISHKABOB posted:

there was a shot where Miki's sister has been brainwashed and is about to suck the sword out of him and she puts her hand on him and it's like EXACTLY like how Gendo puts his hand on Rei in End of Evangelion. I have no idea how the timing of these shows lines up but I love seeing stuff like that even if it's a complete coincidence. I love seeing things repeat and mix and show up in different ways over time and in various things (when they're good of course)

Looking it up, that episode came out about a week before End of Eva hit theaters. It's not impossible that Ikuhara had seen it before, given he was good friends with Anno (and was the inspiration for Kaworu) but I don't think it's possible for it to have been an influence on that specific shot. It isn't impossible they're both pulling from something I can't think of right not though, Anno certainly does that a lot and Ikuhara isn't a stranger to stealing shots from anime or film either. It could also just be a coincidence! Hard to say

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i think the utena-eva comparison is always valid even if influence is indirect because they're dealing with such related theming and in the same moment.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

cried here

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Ohtori Akio posted:

i think the utena-eva comparison is always valid even if influence is indirect because they're dealing with such related theming and in the same moment.

Yeah the influence mostly isn't going to be a one to one thing but Ikuhara and Anno were friends, and many people who worked on each show were peers, and they pull from some of the same influences and were working in similar spaces at around the same time. There's going to be some strong points of comparison!

SHISHKABOB posted:

cried here

This is one of many scenes that gets me, you're far from alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Ohtori Akio posted:

As well as the friendship between the leads, Enokido was a script writer on both. There's a lot of crossover!