Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

XboxPants posted:

All I have to add before we :getin: is that the YouTube version looks perfectly fine for first-time viewers, but if you're an old fan and want something special, there's an HD remaster that is crisp as gently caress and very much worth chasing down.

OP for comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG12ghcBKvw

holy gently caress. i only saw the YT verson. links to the HD remasters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Lady Radia posted:

you have to get the blurays sadly...no other way to watch it. luckily they're affordable

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Ohtori Akio posted:

you have to get the blurays sadly...no other way to watch it. luckily they're affordable

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Lady Radia posted:

Crunchyroll has them right now.

And those prices on eBay are hysterical, are they some sort of special edition with goodies? RightStuf has the individual sets for a good price.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Maera Sior posted:

Crunchyroll has them right now.

And those prices on eBay are hysterical, are they some sort of special edition with goodies? RightStuf has the individual sets for a good price.

Yeah it's a special run Nozomi/RightStuf did with goodies including a pair of rings. $300 msrp if I remember correctly and they took like six months to show up.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Ohtori Akio posted:

Yeah it's a special run Nozomi/RightStuf did with goodies including a pair of rings. $300 msrp if I remember correctly and they took like six months to show up.

I want a black duelist ring so bad

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

got the bigass blu ray boxset so hell yeah

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I’m in. Can’t stand to make a fool of myself at another dinner party for not knowing the references.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
It's Monday morning! Midnight here, about 8 AM Namtab time.

That means that discussion of episodes 1, 2, and 3 can now be posted without spoiler tags. Please continue to spoil and note material from later episodes.

The next batch of episodes is 4, 5, and 6, and discussion of those will begin on Monday, September 4.

I'm watching through with the dub for the first time, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of the acting. The script feels a little clunky but it's serviceable enough.

It's also my first time breaking the show into three-episode chunks and I think it works great so far! Three episodes is just enough to establish the premise and include a more episodic story. Utena gets brought up as a series where you have to stick it out a bit for it to really get rolling, but I think it's not a half-bad three episode test. I appreciate that they front-load elements like relationship violence so you know something of what you're getting into immediately.

First-time viewers, what do you think of what you've seen so far?

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
first timer, i know nothing about utena besides a few random images picked up through internet anime nerd osmosis. i watched revue starlight earlier this year (or late last year i don't remember) so i'm excited to see how much it inherited visually and narratively from utena.

my main takeaway from the first three episodes is that i'm going to adore the visual elements of this show. weird theatrical artifice owns, and i guess utena is going to be coated in weird theatrical artifice. i love the scrollwork + spinning rose overlay, the shadow vaudeville acts, the fairy tale sketchy pastel backgrounds, the greek chorus insert songs during the duels, the overly staged scenes with the student council.

the backgrounds are gorgeous. lets look at some:

i kind of expected these first two things, but i did not expect the amount of character comedy and s tier anime faces. definitely prefer them over wacky animal sidekicks in terms of comedy trappings, but either way they're both a fun contrast with the synth and bell chime apocalypse duels.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
narratively, the show establishes the only biographical information i needed to know 5 minutes into the first episode: utena is a hooper.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

I'm watching through with the dub for the first time, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of the acting. The script feels a little clunky but it's serviceable enough.

I've always liked the dubbed version more. Utena has a serious "I am done with all this poo poo." vibe that her cheerier subbed counterpart doesn't have and IMHO it really adds to the character.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I should watch the dubbed version at some point. The last time I tried I bounced off it hard because omg those are pokemon/valkyrie profile voices even though there that's usually not a problem for me - maybe had something to do with pokemon being a lot of my formative years, lol.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

reached ~half way through when i watched a few years ago, so i will also join

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Big Leg posted:

narratively, the show establishes the only biographical information i needed to know 5 minutes into the first episode: utena is a hooper.

It's so loving good. Instantly you understand she is the tomboy of all time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Strong visuals, main character has a crippling inability to do addition and subtraction (the prince who comforted Utena was probably older than 9 when he gave her the ring so there's no way Kiryu could be him). Entire school treats (what seems like) an extremely nice girl like utter garbage for some reason, so it's either an act or penance for doing something really heinous before Utena came to town. Four people on "the student council" hang out on the top floor of the extremely not phallic tower in the middle of campus and are getting letters from someone who calls himself the End of the World, who tells them they have to bring revolution to the world be fully born, sure okay hail satan. Speculation: EotW is probably also Utena's prince because that's how stories like this work. Let's spend a couple of minutes every episode on the elevator ride for the student council and Utena's trip up the staircase. The spinning rose frame device around character appearances and plot beats is a little cheesy; they'd be less distracting if they were stationary. The shadow puppet shows are amusing.

I'm not bouncing off it as hard as I did 20 years ago but I can still see why I didn't like it.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i tried watching this like ten ago but the person i watched it with bailed. i'm looking forward to anime.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Midjack posted:

Let's spend a couple of minutes every episode on the elevator ride for the student council and Utena's trip up the staircase.
honestly this is one of my favourite things in the show and the music that accompanies it conjures an incredible mood for me every time

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Rigging speakers so that music plays as I make my way to the bathroom after a huge burrito

Absolute Destiny Apocalypse

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Midjack posted:

Strong visuals, main character has a crippling inability to do addition and subtraction (the prince who comforted Utena was probably older than 9 when he gave her the ring so there's no way Kiryu could be him). Entire school treats (what seems like) an extremely nice girl like utter garbage for some reason, so it's either an act or penance for doing something really heinous before Utena came to town. Four people on "the student council" hang out on the top floor of the extremely not phallic tower in the middle of campus and are getting letters from someone who calls himself the End of the World, who tells them they have to bring revolution to the world be fully born, sure okay hail satan. Speculation: EotW is probably also Utena's prince because that's how stories like this work. Let's spend a couple of minutes every episode on the elevator ride for the student council and Utena's trip up the staircase. The spinning rose frame device around character appearances and plot beats is a little cheesy; they'd be less distracting if they were stationary. The shadow puppet shows are amusing.

I'm not bouncing off it as hard as I did 20 years ago but I can still see why I didn't like it.

your dedication will be rewarded, comrade
zettai, unmei, mokushiroku

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I don't have much to say on the plot at this point, as a lot of it is symbolic and thematic without all of the necessary puzzle pieces being revealed to the viewers yet.

Kiryuu Touga being voiced by Takehito Kotasu was a pleasant surprise.

I like Wakaba, she's just a normal girl.

Still not a fan of chu-chu existing, but I can appreciate how it gets used for slapstick and to fill screentime while characters exposit at each other.

While a lot of the metaphorical stuff is definitely happening in the narrative itself, I do wonder how much of it is just chunnibyou bullshit the characters are making manifest: The student council definitely just feels like a group of adolescents who have gotten an ounce of authority and have deluded themselves into thinking that they are all-knowing, all-powerful, and destined to "break the world's shell" and cause "a revolution". While in actuality just playing stupid games as puppets to a higher authority (The World's End).

The visuals are fun, and as others have said the shadow girls in every episode have been fun. I wonder if they're supposed to act like muses for the story, while functioning as a bit of a comedic element .

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I like chu-chu and I think paying attention to him pays off.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

I like chu-chu and I think paying attention to him pays off.

He is cut from the same cloth as the Penguindrum penguins.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I saw the thread in the announcement so I decided to tag along at least for a while, I need to spend more time with Japanese media anyway. I love the student council just lounging around all angsty and sniping each other like a bunch of ancien regime aristos. I'm vaguely aware that everything will definitely get a more dark later, so I can appreciate there's already a lot of work being done setting up stuff on a thematic level that will pay off later. I like the surreal touch with the visuals, the shadow plays, and the completely unnecessary but awesome metal mass interludes before fights that help with the transitions. Chu-chu has already had some good visual gags lavished on them—I wonder if the pretty overt similarity to Cheburashka is meant to be a homage? I think I'll keep on watching for at least a while more, I've been hearing a lot about Utena for decades now but never got around to it.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Remembering how I like the shadow plays, especially the stupid puns (e.g wan -> one, two)

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

Hi friends I would like to watch Utena with you all, my first time.

I like the balance of serious things together with the kawaii and funny moments. I like that Utena isn't completely serious all the time and has a girlish and childish side, considering they are in junior high. So for me the sub and original VA does a good job.

Chu Chu is getting a lot of screen time and Anthy really drives that home that it's her good friend, so I predict it will turn out to be an important character to the plot.

The Mukoshiroku song was great the first time, but when it happened again exactly the same way the second time it sold the show for me.

My dumb kid self was too insecure and bounced seeing all the flowers imagery but now I'm digging it. The setting is well done and exciting, even

Saionji was irredeemable but the tidbits in episode 3 make me think he might have some partial justification for his anger toward Anthy? We'll see

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

to think all this could have been avoided if green hair guy didn't hit women.

I do appreciate utena turning a blind eye to the fact that she has to climb an endless spiral staircase to the duel in a locked forest tho.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

also i have to use a vpn to watch this dub

e: cant get over them all saying tenjew, subs > dubs

Namtab fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 1, 2023

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Namtab posted:

also i have to use a vpn to watch this dub

e: cant get over them all saying tenjew, subs > dubs

its pretty funny imo.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Julias posted:

I like Wakaba, she's just a normal girl.

it's wild how normal she is. i want to find out more about her and the student council member with the stop watch

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Big Leg posted:

it's wild how normal she is. i want to find out more about her and the student council member with the stop watch

hes also very normal

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Ohtori Akio posted:

hes also very normal

sick. normies ftw

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
This is my favorite show of all time, excited to revisit it! I won't say much about this early stage beyond that there's a lot going on that I very much didn't notice on my first watch. It's working on a fairly allegorical level but at this point it mostly works literally as well, though it's a very heightened melodrama even when ignoring the duels and magic. I personally love all the stylistic choices this show is making and I really need to watch Rose of Versailles and Dear Brother to get more

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

chrome line posted:

This is my favorite show of all time, excited to revisit it! I won't say much about this early stage beyond that there's a lot going on that I very much didn't notice on my first watch. It's working on a fairly allegorical level but at this point it mostly works literally as well, though it's a very heightened melodrama even when ignoring the duels and magic. I personally love all the stylistic choices this show is making and I really need to watch Rose of Versailles and Dear Brother to get more

allegory ftw

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Namtab posted:

allegory ftw

People who have already watched the show, please tell me you also continued the lyrics in your head.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Maera Sior posted:

People who have already watched the show, please tell me you also continued the lyrics in your head.

yep

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
The soundtrack is a real highlight of this show. It's almost a character in itself.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Maera Sior posted:

Definitely

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

I can't wait to finish this show and join the allegory club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

the version im watching has lyrics for the stair and battle music, i dont like that since if i dont understand what they are singing the voice becomes more of an instrument
maybe the version uploaded to youtube does it differently but i cant be bothered to set up a vpn just to watch it
still, the whole sequence from the water drop to the upside-down castle in the sky is amazingly cool

episode 3 was a hard watch, had to pause a lot to get through
the gag where chuchu was the one playing cards was good