Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Big Leg posted:

message to all the nanami haters out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the mirrored window shots with juri and utena at the start of episode 7 are really cool. honestly the whole episode has some of my favorite staging in the show up to this point; i like how the majority of the episode is mostly static shots of juri standing around while people talk over her punctuated by brief outbursts of rage. the visual metaphor team also brought their a game.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the student council scenes are always really funny imo. thats what its like when overly serious teens sit and plot together for an hour a day

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Ohtori Akio posted:

the student council scenes are always really funny imo. thats what its like when overly serious teens sit and plot together for an hour a day

yeah they rule. i'm really torn if this one where touga throws a million knives at miki is more or less funny than the one where they play uno

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i thought it was interesting that saionji got a bunch of screen time again in the nanami episode, but after episode 9 it makes way more sense. they both have the same tragic fixation with touga that gives them incredible drive but ultimately leaves them completely pitiful.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
everyone wants attention from him. and hes too busy getting a piece of his kouhais sister. you hate to see it

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
sorry for picking on saionji two weeks in a row but the rest of the cast scooby doo gang running away from him after utena calls him a perverted idiot is too funny

https://i.imgur.com/f9uop2m.mp4

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
no he deserves it

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i believe in the saionji redemption arc

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Couldn't make it thru the TV series (too girly!) so I watched the movie.

It's Good! and it's got some Y2K style

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
The movie is a very different work from the series, and I was hoping to run a discussion of it after the series concludes. So please treat it as spoiler content in this thread until that time.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Big Leg posted:

message to all the nanami haters out there

that's right

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 12, 2023

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
nanami's song is the best part of the musical

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Big Leg posted:

sorry for picking on saionji two weeks in a row but the rest of the cast scooby doo gang running away from him after utena calls him a perverted idiot is too funny

https://i.imgur.com/f9uop2m.mp4

It's incredible.

The Juri episode is some really good drama, the Nanami episode is amazing, and the Saonji episode is both some nice characterization for him and the first real idea we've gotten of what's going on with the duels. I mean, there's basically no way to no for certain what any of it means right now, but we know a lot more than we did!

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

Ep8 noticing a bit of slippage in art quality in some spots

They must have completely redone those scenes in the remaster right?

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Episode 8 was originally going to be the 6th episode but ended up being delayed because the studio they were outsourcing to hadn't started production. The finished product is a little rough and is the worst the show ever looks unless I'm forgetting something. As far as I know the remaster is purely an hd release of the original animation. Nothing was redrawn or anything, but it looks amazing.

There was a separate 2007 remaster that changed some of the audio a bit and made one or two minor editing changes, and that's the version that's available on youtube as well as the one that was remastered for the blu-ray. The only one I know we've passed is that they changed the sound effect when Nanami got hit in the face in episode 6. Almost all the future ones are connected to major plot events in the future so definitely don't look any of it up! This twitter account is also full of spoilers, so don't go there if you're worried

https://twitter.com/ohtori_nu/status/1110698464642367490

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

that's right

PGSM-style live action Tokuanimu but with Utena and now I want this more than anything.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

FilthyImp posted:

PGSM-style live action Tokuanimu but with Utena and now I want this more than anything.

this clip is from the musicals, which deliver at least some of that!

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Nanami is best girl

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

He's right.

I remember, ages ago on my first watch, the Jury ep being the one that fr hooked me. like, oh, real poo poo?

There are lots of good comedy eps, but the switeroo w the curry will prolly always be my fave. lol the way I woulda closed the curtains on saionji's rear end, every window individually

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

its an hour to midnight so i made it this week...

anthy has the power to make the duelists want to duel for her but i wonder if she has any control over it or if its an automatic thing, or maybe even controlled by someone else
it will be interesting to find out

actually, thinking about it how much of the "real" anthy (if that even exists) have we seen and how much is just the version of her that appeals to utenas desire to be a fairy tale prince
or, on a more meta level, the version that is supposed to make us want utena to duel for her

episode 7 is my favorite so far

Lady Radia posted:

nanami was my fave character for most of the first part. and then she never left that role. she owns so much

it might be in the next episode but that thing she did in her backstory soured me on her

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i think the degree to which anthy's presentation to us is authentic vs inauthentic is very important to the show in a lot of different ways

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Utena looks a little too gleeful when she's pulling the sword out of Anthy before fights but I reviewed the earlier time when green hair did it and it looks like the animators just used the same face and skeleton, changing hair and clothing to match whoever is doing it. Also why does Utena do the "gimme revolution" invocation, is whatever Anthy is enchanted by (:regd10:) controlling the sword bearer when they hold it too?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Next three are up, I believe.

Hit the road, Saionji. There's no way he won't be back.

Touga is an extremely adroit manipulator; he gets Nanami (more on her later) to make an attempt on Utena's life and plays on Utena's prince memory to get her to throw a duel against him. I'm still a little surprised Utena hasn't done the math to determine that Touga isn't that much older than her though to be fair, when you're a kindergartener the sixth graders may as well be adults.

Nanami, on the other hand, is a more terrible person every time we see her. Killing the cat she gave her brother because it meant Touga wasn't paying attention to her is pretty hard to walk back. Breaking the duel rules and risking maiming or death just to take Utena out seemed to be Touga taking advantage of her devotion to him to have her do the dirty work instead of him getting involved. Not sure how the Academy would handle a homicide during a duel - it's still unclear how much the administration knows about the dueling society.

Anthy's reprogrammable loyalty is kinda gross and I don't like it but I'm willing to see what's going on with :regd10: since she seems to be a host for whatever that's about. Telling her to get into the sword to power it up is amusing and I'm sure what we saw isn't the only party trick it does.

Lots of peeping through magnified optics in this show. Touga and Juri have both done it on screen and there may be some other instances I'm forgetting.

Utena's moping around and deciding to be normal was a mercifully short interlude. They didn't reanimate the staircase climb for her womens' uniform.

Slapping is still the Academy varsity sport, it seems.

Continuity error: before the duel with Nanami, Utena has a sword in hand immediately before the "pull it from Anthy" sequence happens. Probably an oversight in production.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 18, 2023

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Ah hell, yeah I forgot to make the post.

It's Monday afternoon! That means episodes 10, 11, and 12 are open for discussion.

The next batch of episodes are 13, 14, and 15, and their discussion will open the morning of Monday, September 25.

I love Nanami so so much and her being a hosed up little freak who's done serious bad things makes that more true, for me.

Touga likewise is hosed in the head. He's evil, Saionji is evil, but it's such a petty little evil born out of an insecure domination of a petty little space.

I think this point in the show is a great place to sit back and think about what "the prince" means. It's motivating so much of the action, is that motivation positive or negative? What does the prince mean outside of the fiction?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
These are the episodes that prove Wakaba is Wakabest.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
I love Nanami because she's a hosed up weirdo, I love Wakaba because she's normal. Episode 12 still hurts even having seen it so many times

This almost feels like an ending to the show, do people have any thoughts on where the show could go from here or what they'd think of it if episode 12 was the end?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We haven't explored Anthy's backstory or End of the World in enough detail to really feel like a finish unless the show had a couple of episodes following Utena before she arrived at the school to set her up as a wandering prince in search of her own prince. As it is, the school and everything Utena encounters there is the nexus of the plot so the writers can't get away with not answering some of those questions.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
The previews at the end of episode 12 are pretty important.

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

Guys I found it

The allegory is us

Saionji is Lowtax, Touga is Jeffrey of YOSPOS. Utena is ADTRW mods. Anthy is the concept of true love. Chu Chu is you and me, the posters

Mind blown. I need a sandwich

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
For once, I actually caught up on time! Just a few general thoughts:

• Miki is a fun character. I like that compared to the other student council members who all have devious hidden motives, he just seems like a regular guy, weird stopwatch gimmick notwithstanding.
  • I've been flip flopping on Nanami. Like, she's clearly an awful human being, but as early as episode 4 she gets made the butt of a lot of jokes, being assaulted by all of Anthy's pets, being forced to travel to India and getting trampled by elephants non-stop, and being made to constantly look hysterical and foolish and weak, needing to be protected by a little boy even. But then, on the flipside, she murdered an innocent kitten as a kid, and tried to murder Utena, only to be stopped by her Brother. Overall, we all love to hate her for how much she sucks.
  • Juri is cool, and I feel really sympathetic towards her plight, where the girl she loved spited her in order to steal away a man that she falsely assumed Juri was pining for. The way her duel with utena ended was :discourse:
  • Touga is a very devious and manipulative figure, and it's no surprise that he is the first one to get the drop on Utena and beat her in a duel.
  • I'm glad that Touga called out that Utena's fighting style is very amateurish. We've seen all four student council members practicing their sword skills via fencing and kendo, whereas Utena wouldn't have any skill with a sword, and it's been reflected in a lot of the duels, having Utena flail about, having wide openings, and generally just winning due to her opponent's overconfidence, a fluke, or whatever plot power the ring/sword of Dios gives her.
  • I do wonder where the narrative will go from here, as all of the student council members have been bested by Utena at least once. Either there will be a lot of rematches in a constant struggle, or some new characters will need to be introduced to provide an antagonistic role going forward.
  • I have a hunch that the main narrative thrust going forward for Utena will be to try to break Anthy's subservient nature, as that was one of the main driving factors in episode 12, along with Utena's reassurtion of her sense of swlf-what is right for her, what is normal for her, I'd not to be "a regular girl" but to be a heroic prince.
  • Chu chu still has no good reason for existing yet, other than for merchandising and to ease the viewer into the fact that the series is sureal in numerous ways. The Curry episode also does a good job of showing this, by having events so absurd with extreme slapstick comedy.
  • Sometimes I wonder if there's any meaning towards the gibberish songs that play during the duels, or if the fact that they are gibberish is the intended purpose, given what I said in my last post about how everything seems to mostly just be adolescents students playing games, making things up and pretending to be something serious.
  • I did like seeing Utena's backstory fleshed out a bit more.

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

They packed so much into eps 11-12 :monocle:

Great BGM leading up to and during the Touga rematch.

Character development! My reactions mostly mirror what's already been said-

Nanami: On the one hand cat killer :yikes:
But on the other her duelist outfit is badass :sickos:

Anthy: Kiiiinda an rear end in a top hat now, didn't like what we saw of her. Do I understand Saionji now?

Touga: All according to plan until he underestimated how bad she wanted Anthy I guess? I wonder if Anthy's crying made the sword lose its power

Wakaba-Utena is just :kimchi:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

TwoStoryHouseCat posted:

Guys I found it

The allegory is us

Saionji is Lowtax, Touga is Jeffrey of YOSPOS. Utena is ADTRW mods. Anthy is the concept of true love. Chu Chu is you and me, the posters

Mind blown. I need a sandwich

adtrw doesnt have a mod, theory rejected

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Oh poo poo a rewatch of the show that got me to pick this as a username like twenty years ago. Rad!

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Ohtori Akio posted:

I love Nanami so so much and her being a hosed up little freak who's done serious bad things makes that more true, for me.

Touga likewise is hosed in the head. He's evil, Saionji is evil, but it's such a petty little evil born out of an insecure domination of a petty little space.

I think this point in the show is a great place to sit back and think about what "the prince" means. It's motivating so much of the action, is that motivation positive or negative? What does the prince mean outside of the fiction?

i mentioned it before, but i really like the contrast between nanami and saionji. nanami owns because she gets to participate in all the wacky stuff while being awful and saionji owns because he's like forbidden from doing wacky stuff while being awful which is somehow even funnier.

there's definitely a huge contrast between utena's conception of a prince (a self actualized person who is true to herself/to borrow from wakaba, a normie) and all the non-miki members of the student council (being a giant dickhead), so i'm really interested to see how these two ideologies continue to push against each other when our mysterious purple haired potential prince finally makes an appearance in the real world.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

chrome line posted:

I love Nanami because she's a hosed up weirdo, I love Wakaba because she's normal.

this x100

chrome line posted:

This almost feels like an ending to the show, do people have any thoughts on where the show could go from here or what they'd think of it if episode 12 was the end?

we sort of have our happy ending at the end of episode 12, but the apocalyptic duel music continuing to play over anthy and utena's reunion is such a tonal shift compared with the same scene in episode 1 that it makes me feel uncomfortable more than anything else.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
boke

tsukkomi (comparatively)

moe through helplessness

seemingly "perfect" at first glance

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Julias posted:

For once, I actually caught up on time! Just a few general thoughts:

• Chu chu still has no good reason for existing yet, other than for merchandising and to ease the viewer into the fact that the series is sureal in numerous ways. The Curry episode also does a good job of showing this, by having events so absurd with extreme slapstick comedy.

without doing any actual research, it looks like chu chu's eating habits have a very strong correlation with anthy's happiness (see the picnic in 11/chu chu's spread at the end of 12 vs chu chu barely nibbling a singular cracker in the student council meetings). it's very hard to get a gauge on anthy's real feelings up to this point so maybe chu chu kind of works as an approximation.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Ohtori Akio posted:

boke

tsukkomi (comparatively)

moe through helplessness

seemingly "perfect" at first glance

lol but also true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i resisted the urge to gif saionji getting owned while wearing all denim (lol), instead have some happier moments:

https://i.imgur.com/fjf9WYw.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/hjMi7YD.mp4