Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

I'm watching through with the dub for the first time, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of the acting. The script feels a little clunky but it's serviceable enough.

I've always liked the dubbed version more. Utena has a serious "I am done with all this poo poo." vibe that her cheerier subbed counterpart doesn't have and IMHO it really adds to the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Chu Chu is my friend. :colbert:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

oh right i had episode notes -

this is just a really good clip show. introducing akio this way, and his role in the supernatural drama, is really effective. the minor key version of 'sunlit garden' kicks rear end

There are no good clip shows aside from the Clerks cartoon. And putting important information in one is bad :colbert:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

You're right because the network hosed around with the Clerks cartoon, and aired the clipshow as the first episode instead of the second. So it wasn't even clipping things that had happened yet.

There are no good clipshows.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Oh yeah, that reminds me I made this.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I agree the fights are super short, but gotta save time somewhere, and I'd rather shorter fights over nixing the character development. Maybe they could have shortened the elevator a little, and had the traumas/grievances become more apparent during the duels?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Absolutely agreed. Just workshopping ideas on how to extend the duels.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

kind of a toss up who's the worse therapist between him and mikage

Mikage is the better therapist. Say what you will about his methods, most of his patients are better people after Mikage induces a tantrum.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ruka is a big nothing burger who could have been anybody.

I will never understand what the gently caress Shiori's deal is.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

:justpost:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

juri and shiori don't exist after the series ends, whatever happens to them is up to the reader regardless

I have After Utena sitting beside me that someday I will read, but I know for fact Juri is in it.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Nephthys posted:

So I take it no-one wants to talk about the movie because of how much it sucks, huh?

I understand.

I'm assuming it sucks without the context of the show. I wouldn't try to use it to sell somebody on Utena.

With it, it's a whole vibe. I don't think the vibe sucks. Plus that ending sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

Everyone in this thread is aware that television programs are moving images with sound, not reality. We are posting our takes about them for entertainment purposes. Utena is poetic because it gives people many different impressions of what is actually going on. We are not trying to end the thread with a co-signed manifesto about the correct reading.