Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Utena rewatch? :letsgo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Remembering how I like the shadow plays, especially the stupid puns (e.g wan -> one, two)

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ohtori Akio posted:

I live for this poo poo. Please keep the speculation coming.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Let's not forget the most important part of this latest batch of episodes: new version of absolute destiny apocalypse

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Big Leg posted:

(warning: controversial opinion ahead) i wanted them to switch to this full time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNK9wP35gZg

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I demand more elevator sequences, a longer staircase walk w/extended version of absolute destiny apocalypse, and 3x more student council gags

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Always a big fan of the “hey here’s the subtext” pointing hands

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ohtori Akio posted:

33 is brutal. from the very opening where utena is just voguing and then turns around and she has the sex lipstick. the structure as a clip show is really effective! you're half paying attention to it, much like utena is only half paying attention to the abuse she is experiencing.

the nonlinear framing where you're meant to not be sure quite what is happening also mirrors utena's experience. because she is being victimized by an experienced abuser, she is unsure what exactly is going on for most of it, and as the viewers we also had an interlude between the initial abuse of episode 30 and the intense abuse here. it creates a stunning feeling of domestic quiet horror.

the bento scene specifically is absolutely incredible animation and voice work. she's dissociating and denying what is occurring, as the viewer is most likely at first denying what is occurring. then, over the course of the shot, it becomes undeniable.

what a batch of episodes. hope you're all doing alright after seeing that.

Horror is a good word for it. I kind of experience this episode as something like watching somebody go to open a door you know they absolutely shouldn’t in a horror movie but as a viewer also not knowing what’s on the other side. It’s very good at building dread ending at that awful realization at the end, vs say the more jump scare like quality of the various bits and pieces we see of Anthy’s experience.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Such a sadness…