Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I have watched Utena so many times, there's no way I'm not parking myself in the back here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Lady Radia posted:

holy gently caress. i only saw the YT verson. links to the HD remasters?

Crunchyroll has them right now.

And those prices on eBay are hysterical, are they some sort of special edition with goodies? RightStuf has the individual sets for a good price.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Namtab posted:

allegory ftw

People who have already watched the show, please tell me you also continued the lyrics in your head.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Ikuhara loves absurdism and sight gags and they are all over this show.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Just going to drop this in here:

That's from Pastoral: To Die in the Country, a film by avant-garde theatre director Shūji Terayama.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Ikuhara gets so much easier to parse when you're handed the list of materials he's pulling from, but I never know whether to hand them to people ahead of time because the confusion seems pretty intentional.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Ruka is an rear end in a top hat but he's the only one who sees that all these characters are trapped in unhealthy relationships and wants to do something about it.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

chrome line posted:

There's a video on youtube somewhere that I can't find that compares this duel (with the Ruka Juri duel cuts included) to the first Juri duel in episode 7, and they're identical. Ruka takes the position of Juri, they've clearly traced over the footage. You can go check it yourself by watching the two side by side, it's a really neat way to show parallels in a way that no one would notice on a normal watch of the show.

Forgot to mention something here. Because we've already seen episode 7, we don't have to see the rest of the Ruka and Jury duel. We know how it ends, we've seen it already.

And it also reinforces what Ruka says: the rose bride(s) controls the outcome of the duels. He should have wiped the floor with Utena but he lost because Shiori didn't understand or care. He wanted Jury to be freed from Shiori, and under his (and Anthy's power), the locket was destroyed.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

31-32 TL;DW: Nanami never wanted to gently caress Touga, she just wanted to be special to him. She's horrified by what she gave the impression of.

There's a whole counterpart of this with Touga. It's only portrayed in the movie, but was his intended backstory trauma for the series. I suspect it was nixed for being too much, which says something considering what's still in the show.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

chrome line posted:

to a chicken on a cat on a dog on a horse

That is the statue of the Town Musicians of Bremen. Definitely of a different pedigree than the others.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

chrome line posted:

Yeah, I want to avoid just writing down the things that happen with no commentary in favor of actual analysis as much as possible, whether that's actual analysis of symbols or repeated themes and motifs, or just me talking about my feelings about the events on screen. Sometimes I feel like my commentary is a little bare bones but that's fine

Huh. So it is. I'm still unsure what exactly the deal is there, but my best guess is it's about Utena and Nanami as outcasts who will find a home together later that episode, if only temporarily. In Akio's penthouse, so not nearly as nice as the Town Musicians getting a house with no sexual abusers in it for free.

I got Nanami's animal motif + her worries about being discarded.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Big Leg posted:

last week i said something about the show starting to use things we associate with the lighter moments of utena moments to create dread and horror. this week the show steals the framing of the yuri bed scenes for absolute terror

I... hadn't noticed that. That's horrifying.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I think episode 34 blows everyone's mind. It hits so hard every time.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Big Leg posted:

this is kind of dumb, but i think it's neat how many scenes are filled with gaps and chasms and darkness in an episode that fills in some pretty important missing pieces of the story.

This is an episode that hammers in just what we're missing. What are their true expressions when we are only given part of them? What else has been left out?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

chrome line posted:

I also think the idea that the spotlights are diagetic but she still didn't pick up on anything or think about the way the shadow play girls said "BEWARE" directly at the audience is very funny, so I like that read a lot

I like to think that her review of the play was "Huh, that was a bit short. Why did they insist that I needed to see it?"

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

So, when do we get to tell people what Touga's backstory is? After the movie?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

chrome line posted:

Yeah, that's when it shows up on screen. Wasn't it supposed to be in the show but had to get cut for time after his VA was sick?

I know it was supposed to show up in the show but I don't know why it was cut. My guess is that they received pushback on portraying pedophilic rape .

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Nephthys posted:

I was half joking when I said that it sucks but honestly, I'm not a huge fan. It's fine I guess but it's hard for me to not be disappointed by the wasted opportunity. Sure, you can read it as a continuation of the story through a retelling but you could have just... continued the story. In a way that wasn't just retelling the same plot again but shorter, worse and more incoherently. Or do something different. I'm sure there were more stories you could have told that would have been more interesting than this.

This was my opinion after the last time I watched it, which was after my umpteenth time watching the show.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Big Leg posted:

the architecture of the movie is really fricking cool. here's some stuff i liked:

the shifting scenery props and backgrounds that remind us how staged and artificial the academy is

there aren't any spinning roses in the movie (unless i forgot), but pretty much every time someone breaks the 4th wall they're surrounded by columns with rose designs or scrollwork (when the shadow players remember akio exists 50 minutes into the movie, when utena and touga first meet and their conversation is something like 'hey we're back but this time it's different')

my favorite use of architecture are all the shots where characters are webbed in, pinned down, or straight up impaled by some element in the background.

I hadn't realized how much it feels akin to the architecture in Yuri Kuma Arashi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Nephthys posted:

But I think the best example of the show showing you something without you realising it is with the Nanami episodes. Because lets be clear, every single funny Nanami episode is actually about Anthy loving with Nanami using magic. Anthy is straight up using magic in every one of those episodes. She foils all of Nanami plans to humiliate her in the first one, she intentionally switches bodies with Utena and sends Nanami to India*, she turns Nanami into a cow and she makes Nanami think she's laid an egg. All just to gently caress with her.

But because it's all played out as a joke and Anthy is so good at pretended to be passive you don't seriously put it together that this is a real bit of foreshadowing and a reveal that Anthy is much more powerful and has much more agency than she is pretending to have. I really do think this is a brilliant bit of writing and a clever way to slip some clues under the audiences guard. There are a lot more examples of stuff like this in the show so any first-timers really should consider a rewatch at some point because it's great picking up on this stuff.

Also, it only started because Nanami (re)traumatized Anthy back in episode 3. Although I do think after a few rounds of it Anthy is just a bully gaslighting Nanami.