Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'll try to keep up with this. I watched the first 4-6 eps like half a decade ago and just never got back around to it. It was alright....I did not like chu chu though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I don't have much to say on the plot at this point, as a lot of it is symbolic and thematic without all of the necessary puzzle pieces being revealed to the viewers yet.

Kiryuu Touga being voiced by Takehito Kotasu was a pleasant surprise.

I like Wakaba, she's just a normal girl.

Still not a fan of chu-chu existing, but I can appreciate how it gets used for slapstick and to fill screentime while characters exposit at each other.

While a lot of the metaphorical stuff is definitely happening in the narrative itself, I do wonder how much of it is just chunnibyou bullshit the characters are making manifest: The student council definitely just feels like a group of adolescents who have gotten an ounce of authority and have deluded themselves into thinking that they are all-knowing, all-powerful, and destined to "break the world's shell" and cause "a revolution". While in actuality just playing stupid games as puppets to a higher authority (The World's End).

The visuals are fun, and as others have said the shadow girls in every episode have been fun. I wonder if they're supposed to act like muses for the story, while functioning as a bit of a comedic element .

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
For once, I actually caught up on time! Just a few general thoughts:

• Miki is a fun character. I like that compared to the other student council members who all have devious hidden motives, he just seems like a regular guy, weird stopwatch gimmick notwithstanding.
  • I've been flip flopping on Nanami. Like, she's clearly an awful human being, but as early as episode 4 she gets made the butt of a lot of jokes, being assaulted by all of Anthy's pets, being forced to travel to India and getting trampled by elephants non-stop, and being made to constantly look hysterical and foolish and weak, needing to be protected by a little boy even. But then, on the flipside, she murdered an innocent kitten as a kid, and tried to murder Utena, only to be stopped by her Brother. Overall, we all love to hate her for how much she sucks.
  • Juri is cool, and I feel really sympathetic towards her plight, where the girl she loved spited her in order to steal away a man that she falsely assumed Juri was pining for. The way her duel with utena ended was :discourse:
  • Touga is a very devious and manipulative figure, and it's no surprise that he is the first one to get the drop on Utena and beat her in a duel.
  • I'm glad that Touga called out that Utena's fighting style is very amateurish. We've seen all four student council members practicing their sword skills via fencing and kendo, whereas Utena wouldn't have any skill with a sword, and it's been reflected in a lot of the duels, having Utena flail about, having wide openings, and generally just winning due to her opponent's overconfidence, a fluke, or whatever plot power the ring/sword of Dios gives her.
  • I do wonder where the narrative will go from here, as all of the student council members have been bested by Utena at least once. Either there will be a lot of rematches in a constant struggle, or some new characters will need to be introduced to provide an antagonistic role going forward.
  • I have a hunch that the main narrative thrust going forward for Utena will be to try to break Anthy's subservient nature, as that was one of the main driving factors in episode 12, along with Utena's reassurtion of her sense of swlf-what is right for her, what is normal for her, I'd not to be "a regular girl" but to be a heroic prince.
  • Chu chu still has no good reason for existing yet, other than for merchandising and to ease the viewer into the fact that the series is sureal in numerous ways. The Curry episode also does a good job of showing this, by having events so absurd with extreme slapstick comedy.
  • Sometimes I wonder if there's any meaning towards the gibberish songs that play during the duels, or if the fact that they are gibberish is the intended purpose, given what I said in my last post about how everything seems to mostly just be adolescents students playing games, making things up and pretending to be something serious.
  • I did like seeing Utena's backstory fleshed out a bit more.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
EP 13 is a clip show. You've gotta do what you've gotta do sometimes when it comes to television anime on small budgets. With that said though, it's good to have this quick summary for all of the events so for going into the next arc, while also giving just a tiny bit of insight into Akio Ohtori/Dios(?). Also, would you look at that, he looks like the prince who helps Utena. It's also not lost on me that he shares the same name as the academy, Ohtori.

The next two episodes seemingly set up the main framework for this arc, which as other posters have said, is pretty cool, having it framed as a confessional in a falling elevator, where the person confessing is urged to fall deeper and deeper into despair so they can be easily manipulated to do Mikage's bidding. Speaking of Mikage, his name seems really on the nose in terms of symbolism: kage, can be read as shadow or silhouette, and mikage can be read as "a spirit of the dead, a phantom". Lastly, the boy that Mikage wants to make the rose bride...is that just Akio putting on a girl's voice? They both look almost exactly the same :pwn:

And yeah, it's seems obvious at this point that there is some sort of really gross incestuous relationship between Anthy and Akio, Doesn't seem very becoming of a prince to me!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Unless you're European i guess

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
ep 16 is just a really silly, fun time. not much I could read into it other than to clown on nanami and have some fun.

ep 17 we revisit Juri's character, and while that's nice, it becomes pretty evident at this point that this season's duels feel hollow compared to the earlier ones: utena isn;t fighting for any virtue or character growth: she's just beating the villain of the week sent to kill her and Anthy. It feels like Ikuhara knows this, and is taking the piss out of it by having these duels wrap up very quickly, with no showy choreography or anything. Whether this is intentional or not, i'll leave it up to you to decide.

I feel like that caries over into ep 18 too. And yeah, while the duel itself isn't really important, it feels like this episode might be a microcosm of the bigger themes in the series as a whole. It certainly feels like we are transitioning towards talking about more mature topics of sexuality at this point, having some really non-subtle gags including the banana one.

Outside of that, i don't have much else to say. I forgot to mention it last time, but the change to the framing of the shadow girls and the dueling arena is nice, and especially how when the duelists are defeated, they fall into one of the body outlines signifying their defeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Wakaba's desks had the leaf hair ornament on them.

As others have said, eps 19 and 20 are a really good pair, and getting a wakaba/saionji focused ep was good payoff. I feel like i disagree with the analysis of the onion prince in the elevator confessional scene the other posters have said: they're saying he was rejected because he sucks or is "too normal". The way i interpreted it, with the butterfly on the wall not regressing, him saying he'll wait and that love will win out in the end, the elevator then reversing, and with mikage's words to him, is that mikage genuinely believes that he's a nice kid and doesn't deserve to be used as a tool for revenge.

Ep 21 was kind of a nothing story to be honest, but i think it does a good job of reinforcing a central theme at this point, that people are willing to do anything, whether it be taboo, cruel, illegal, or irrational, in order to acquire what they love.