Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
oh boy time to rewatch utena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

another perk to utena:

the music loving owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OUAbdufRUs

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I should watch the dubbed version at some point. The last time I tried I bounced off it hard because omg those are pokemon/valkyrie profile voices even though there that's usually not a problem for me - maybe had something to do with pokemon being a lot of my formative years, lol.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Maera Sior posted:

People who have already watched the show, please tell me you also continued the lyrics in your head.

yep

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I really love nanami as a character and episode 6 highlights her so well and does a great job making her completely intolerable and deeply sympathetic simultaneously.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Midjack posted:

I don't have a lot to say about these; they seemed to be setting up pieces for moves later though I appreciated the characterization they gave Miki and to a lesser extent Nanami. I found Nanami to just be annoying; tripling down on her idea to make a weird girl look weird just about made my eyes roll out the back of my head. I'd just as soon she get disappeared though we can see what they do with her as the story continues. I'm finding that I have a somewhat low tolerance for court politics in fiction and coming off a book that was way too much of that may be coloring my perceptions - Nanami seemed to be playing for chump stakes but pretending that they actually matter.

That's the thing about her that's so great, though - to her, making a weird girl look weird is the most important thing in the world. It really does matter.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

nanami's song is the best part of the musical

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Episode 20 is probably my favorite episode and one of the best in the series imho.

Perfect encapsulation of the arc's thesis (how much the duels and the obsession with the rose bride doesn't take place in a vacuum and how much bystanders are harmed as well), a Wakaba focus episode, and an absolute gut-punch of an ending. 10/10

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

22 and 23 are also among my favorite episodes as well because there's so much poo poo going on and my estimation at least 20% is just trolling the audience (said with the greatest of affection).

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah this is the part where the show starts getting really rough. Thank god for nanami episodes, I guess.

And what an episode this one is! Poor Nanami. Worries about growing up are even worse when you live in metaphor land and your brother's an unhelpful hypocrite.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

yes absolutely please talk about this poo poo

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

please write long effort posts about utena; I love reading big effort posts about utena

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

that last shot is one of the most awful but powerful shots in the show I think

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

realized this post was unhelpful. sorry!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Poor Nanami. She sees someone get everything she thinks she wants and realizes it's an awful, terrible thing (also her brother is still The Worst).

33 is the most awful clip show ever, I have no further comments on it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Nanami's theme from the first (?) musical remains one of my favorite bits of Utena music.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I thought he had some sort of stage thing going on that caused a scheduling conflict.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX3O-pys_YI

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

the correct reading is that nanami is ftw