Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Leraika posted:

another perk to utena:

the music loving owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OUAbdufRUs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Midjack posted:

I watched a couple of episodes in high school and thought it was dumb as poo poo then. Saw the movie at DragonCon 20 years ago and that didn't do much to change my opinion either. I had intended to get in on the last group watch several years ago but was in a travel burst and couldn't keep up; we'll see if I can stick with it this time.

for me it def took awhile to really like the show. you have to get through a significant chunk to start seeing the story it is trying to portray, but when the darker themes and elements hit (imho starting in the 2nd arc), they hit hard.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

XboxPants posted:

All I have to add before we :getin: is that the YouTube version looks perfectly fine for first-time viewers, but if you're an old fan and want something special, there's an HD remaster that is crisp as gently caress and very much worth chasing down.

OP for comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG12ghcBKvw

holy gently caress. i only saw the YT verson. links to the HD remasters?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Ohtori Akio posted:

you have to get the blurays sadly...no other way to watch it. luckily they're affordable

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Midjack posted:

Strong visuals, main character has a crippling inability to do addition and subtraction (the prince who comforted Utena was probably older than 9 when he gave her the ring so there's no way Kiryu could be him). Entire school treats (what seems like) an extremely nice girl like utter garbage for some reason, so it's either an act or penance for doing something really heinous before Utena came to town. Four people on "the student council" hang out on the top floor of the extremely not phallic tower in the middle of campus and are getting letters from someone who calls himself the End of the World, who tells them they have to bring revolution to the world be fully born, sure okay hail satan. Speculation: EotW is probably also Utena's prince because that's how stories like this work. Let's spend a couple of minutes every episode on the elevator ride for the student council and Utena's trip up the staircase. The spinning rose frame device around character appearances and plot beats is a little cheesy; they'd be less distracting if they were stationary. The shadow puppet shows are amusing.

I'm not bouncing off it as hard as I did 20 years ago but I can still see why I didn't like it.

your dedication will be rewarded, comrade
zettai, unmei, mokushiroku

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

nanami was my fave character for most of the first part. and then she never left that role. she owns so much

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Nephthys posted:

Kozue rules.

lol i dont care for kazue (as a person, as a character she owns obv) but she really has her moments

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i like the narrative structure of this arc a lot. not sure what else to add. looking forward to the next episodes

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

the creepy visuals in this arc own a lot

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Ohtori Akio posted:

Nanami is epic bitch............

That's right

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Cephas posted:

"Your only option is to revolutionize the world" is sound therapeutic advice IMO

i've been saying this

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Big Leg posted:

apologies for the 1000th post, but it is necessary for miki and nanami's response to juri's 'it's a shame you losers can't change who you love' speech to be a part of this thread

probably in my top 5 shots for sure

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I’m still catching up, wanted to note how much I loved the scene where Mikage is giving a villain monologue until Utena loses her poo poo and tries to kill him, it really shows how .. different that things are being handled from what Mikage expected

But I see we’ve moved on from the creepy episodes to the full on horror episodes. I will post more when I’ve finished catching up

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Ohtori Akio posted:

i just want to say that vanna's always been right about akio. he works in the story because the pull of his beauty and personality is so strong and believable and real. he's lucifer, certainly in the sense of absolute evil, but even moreso in the sense of being gorgeous and tempting. if i ever put out an essay for you it'd be about akio as classic luciferian figure

yep. actual sexual predators like him frequently have that sort of natural charisma and charm that helps them get away with it for so long

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Midjack posted:

Are you saying that the show's message is "all sex is rape"?

i think deeper analysis of the themes they're prodding at need some more episodes to really get at. i think this is an uncharitable but not inaccurate take given the information we have now.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

the final three episodes simply Must be watched in one sitting

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Cavelcade posted:

"Who are you?"

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

chrome line posted:

I don't want to be rude to anyone in this thread, but just because Akio is being less aggressive doesn't mean he's not still actively grooming Utena, and nothing we see here makes it feel any less clear that Akio is the abuser and that Anthy is the victim.

this should not be controversial on any reading of the show so far whatsoever.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Ohtori Akio posted:

classic bisexual take. my sisters are out here causing problems

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

So, fun story: first time I watched the three ep finale, I did it with friends on a voice call, and one immediately asked me what I thought. All I could do was sputter out “it was f-fine” while clearly audibly crying.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

why would you post this and make me tear up randomly

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Ohtori Akio posted:

starting to think ohtori akio is untrustworthy.

username post combo btw ha ha ha

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Ohtori Akio posted:

the final sequence is beautiful. utena really does have a happy ending. anthy crosses that threshold alone, under her own power, looking beautiful and thriving. she is perfect in herself, and perfect in her flaws.

it is genuinely one of the best sequences of all time

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Nephthys posted:

But I think the best example of the show showing you something without you realising it is with the Nanami episodes. Because lets be clear, every single funny Nanami episode is actually about Anthy loving with Nanami using magic. Anthy is straight up using magic in every one of those episodes. She foils all of Nanami plans to humiliate her in the first one, she intentionally switches bodies with Utena and sends Nanami to India*, she turns Nanami into a cow and she makes Nanami think she's laid an egg. All just to gently caress with her.

Btw I favor a quite realist view of the show as you can tell.

lmao
not attacking your notes just very funny to compare these sentences

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

The question of whether it's happening or not is entirely vacuuous, it's a work of fiction and the meaning and message is the same either way. Rhetoric is a perversion of poetry.

This is a bad and dumb post! How much you read into the events of the series actually occurring, being Anthy’s imagination, multiple combinations therein (for example Utena is ftw so I don’t like interpretations where she’s not real or worse, dead), etc, factors very much into how you perceive the motivations and actions you see, which in turn colors your understanding and interpretation.

Consider the poster talking about how Anthy used her Druid powers to have animals attack Nanami in India. If Anthy is just imagining that, it can indicate underlying resentment she has for Nanami, and envy of Utena being so outgoing and popular; if it’s real, even setting aside the magic poo poo, it leads to understanding the growing bond between Utena and her fiancé, and there’s countless other ways to read that, all of which lend deeper insight into the themes or meaning!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

imo. whatever

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Leraika posted:

the correct reading is that nanami is ftw

yep

Radia
Jul 14, 2021