Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
It's come to my attention that many people have not seen critically acclaimed anime Revolutionary Girl Utena. Let's fix that together, in book club format! If you've seen it already, even better, but please don't spoil new watchers!

Every week, let's watch three episodes on our own, then come to this thread and discuss them. That means that discussion of episodes 1-3 will begin on Monday, August 28, 2023.

Because the current license-holder has uploaded the entire series in sub and dub to Youtube, I don't even have to tell you to go buy them! Here they are:

Sub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TQFlVcPyUA&list=PLrrh84y760v-hDEulas0Tp_wiQy0FcjLl

Dub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdWr5YCoRGM&list=PLrrh84y760v9xDNuOiG6x1DsCG70LVQi7

Because this series has some important spoilers, let's spoiler tag things from every episode until their discussion date comes up.

:siren: Please note! This series contains a large amount of extremely upsetting content. If you have any suspicion you may experience a trauma response to media, please read a comprehensive trigger warning for this series. I will not take responsibility for listing all of the triggering content in this series, because the list is very long. :siren:

If you have a suggestion about the format, please let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

A jargogle posted:

Whats it like?

Utena has the broad structure of an episodic magical-girl show set in a high-dollar private academy. However, there are many episodes which deviate from this structure.

Other aspects that may inform whether you want to watch it are an unusual art style, highly abstract visual presentation, themes of mental illness, and swordfighting.

It's really good.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Leraika posted:

another perk to utena:

the music loving owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OUAbdufRUs

:agreed:

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Hell, you could even rewatch it, and discuss the episodes with us.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I've got the box set that cost hundreds of dollars but I don't own a blu-ray drive. So I will simply be watching from Youtube.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i'm unemployed lol

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Lady Radia posted:

holy gently caress. i only saw the YT verson. links to the HD remasters?

you have to get the blurays sadly...no other way to watch it. luckily they're affordable

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Maera Sior posted:

Crunchyroll has them right now.

And those prices on eBay are hysterical, are they some sort of special edition with goodies? RightStuf has the individual sets for a good price.

Yeah it's a special run Nozomi/RightStuf did with goodies including a pair of rings. $300 msrp if I remember correctly and they took like six months to show up.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
It's Monday morning! Midnight here, about 8 AM Namtab time.

That means that discussion of episodes 1, 2, and 3 can now be posted without spoiler tags. Please continue to spoil and note material from later episodes.

The next batch of episodes is 4, 5, and 6, and discussion of those will begin on Monday, September 4.

I'm watching through with the dub for the first time, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of the acting. The script feels a little clunky but it's serviceable enough.

It's also my first time breaking the show into three-episode chunks and I think it works great so far! Three episodes is just enough to establish the premise and include a more episodic story. Utena gets brought up as a series where you have to stick it out a bit for it to really get rolling, but I think it's not a half-bad three episode test. I appreciate that they front-load elements like relationship violence so you know something of what you're getting into immediately.

First-time viewers, what do you think of what you've seen so far?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Big Leg posted:

narratively, the show establishes the only biographical information i needed to know 5 minutes into the first episode: utena is a hooper.

It's so loving good. Instantly you understand she is the tomboy of all time.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I like chu-chu and I think paying attention to him pays off.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Namtab posted:

also i have to use a vpn to watch this dub

e: cant get over them all saying tenjew, subs > dubs

its pretty funny imo.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Big Leg posted:

it's wild how normal she is. i want to find out more about her and the student council member with the stop watch

hes also very normal

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
It's Monday morning!

Episodes 4, 5, and 6 are now open for discussion

The next batch of episodes are 7, 8, and 9, and their discussion will open the morning of Monday, September 11.

The show has started to settle into a rhythm, how do you like it?

One of my favorite scenes from the whole show is in this batch, the slapstick scene where Nanami comes over for a study group.

Altogether a very normal cast with very normal motivations who do normal things.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
You really start to understand what this show is about when episode 5 rolls around and Miki walks in on Touga and Kozue all over his piano then Touga calls him a pussy with his shirt open.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
A core pattern of Utena is that every single character is ultra invested in some poo poo that does not matter at all. You're meant to be annoyed by her right now. These are all rich teenagers, the world's most annoying category of person.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
The jokes make the serious stuff hit harder.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

TwoStoryHouseCat posted:

Episode 6 rocks. I'd been expecting the show to be all drama like eps 4-5 but I like the gags more.

I'm assuming the allegory is geopolitics and Anthy is probably India because of how she looks, Touga probably America by how he acts, Nanami is England getting attacked by bulls and kangaroos, Utena is probably the concept of revolution

Only spoilering that because I might not have considered that interpretation at all yet, if it weren't for prior watchers in-the-know hinting at it.

I couldn't place all the references in Miki's story, and his twin sister in eps 4-5 but if I knew more about world history then maybe I would.

It did help me in episode 6 especially the last small bit where Tsuwabuki saying stuff about quitting trying to be her big brother and getting along as their little brother instead, and all three suddenly one happy family.
If I watched it blind I would have thought "okay I guess they were going for so random ha ha?" but instead I thought "yeah, that's something that would totally happen"

Not looking for anyone to confirm or deny. I see the "Understanding Utena" recommended video on YouTube and will look at it after the show's over

I live for this poo poo. Please keep the speculation coming.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Pyrotoad posted:

I still get pissed remembering the guy I lent my Utena boxset to that somehow managed to completely lose a set of episodes (I believe 19-23) and didn't even offer to replace them :argh:

Looks like the links in the OP don't work though, at least not for me. Could be regional.

Anyway this show was my first exposure to anything involving lgbt+ content that wasn't a joke in media and while for sure it's got some areas that perhaps don't hold up today, it's always going to be important to me :unsmith:

I think the Nozomi license is for America - try Crunchyroll for HD versions!

I think Utena manages be timeless in that it's not about a super specific realistic experience of romance and moreso about very broad patterns that recur in many contexts.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
parallel imo

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
It's Monday morning!

Episodes 7, 8, and 9 are now open for discussion.

The next batch of episodes are 10, 11, and 12, and their discussion will open the morning of Monday, September 18.

Nanami rules so much. It's becoming clear at this point that her episodes are about telling jokes with the characters, but the non-Nanami episodes are somewhat more serious.

KENDO COMMENTARY: the shinai (kendo swords) are kinda stylized (you don't see a major feature of the leather grip) but I liked the characterization we got from kendo overall in episode 9. Saionji is definitely the kind of guy to fight from high guard in high school, Touga is the kind of guy to beat him from middle guard with a thrust, and they're both the kind of guy to do a serious match without protective equipment.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Big Leg posted:

message to all the nanami haters out there

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the student council scenes are always really funny imo. thats what its like when overly serious teens sit and plot together for an hour a day

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
everyone wants attention from him. and hes too busy getting a piece of his kouhais sister. you hate to see it

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
no he deserves it

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
The movie is a very different work from the series, and I was hoping to run a discussion of it after the series concludes. So please treat it as spoiler content in this thread until that time.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

FilthyImp posted:

PGSM-style live action Tokuanimu but with Utena and now I want this more than anything.

this clip is from the musicals, which deliver at least some of that!

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i think the degree to which anthy's presentation to us is authentic vs inauthentic is very important to the show in a lot of different ways

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Ah hell, yeah I forgot to make the post.

It's Monday afternoon! That means episodes 10, 11, and 12 are open for discussion.

The next batch of episodes are 13, 14, and 15, and their discussion will open the morning of Monday, September 25.

I love Nanami so so much and her being a hosed up little freak who's done serious bad things makes that more true, for me.

Touga likewise is hosed in the head. He's evil, Saionji is evil, but it's such a petty little evil born out of an insecure domination of a petty little space.

I think this point in the show is a great place to sit back and think about what "the prince" means. It's motivating so much of the action, is that motivation positive or negative? What does the prince mean outside of the fiction?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
The previews at the end of episode 12 are pretty important.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
boke

tsukkomi (comparatively)

moe through helplessness

seemingly "perfect" at first glance

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the low detail utena faces are so loving good. just the perfect amount of sketchy.

and i LVOE saionjis texas tux. its actually (kendo content) kind of on brand for a kendo guy: the traditional kendo uniform is made of pure cotton with raw indigo dye and the pieces are meant to fade attractively (we see saionji wearing very faded hakama and a very new kendogi). so it's kind of on brand that he'd wear jeans and a trucker jacket, I like to think they're fancy schmancy denim boy pieces.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
:greencube:

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
oh hey it's monday

let's talk about 13, 14, and 15!

16, 17, and 18 to open next monday

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i have some concerns about this Ohtori Akio fellow

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
oh right i had episode notes -

this is just a really good clip show. introducing akio this way, and his role in the supernatural drama, is really effective. the minor key version of 'sunlit garden' kicks rear end

i love the psychotherapy/confessional framing of this arc. it's perfect, and perfectly executed. i think the black rose is the high point of the show in terms of being highly abstract and stylized but about very real and relatable problems, and the way that people resort to drastic measures to solve them. 'revolution' can be hosed up!

i feel so bad for kanae. she's in way over her head she needs to RUN

im paying attention to the stuff on the desks. lilies this time. is the kanae/anthy dynamic......is this yuri? am i witnessing yuri?

insane ending sequence. this is a horror show.

the best part of the show returns: miki entering the pain dimension as his twin sister publicly makes out with the entire school. its badass. i loved the stuco sequence despite not understanding it. miki and kozues cutesy little room with cutesy twin beds is adorable.

"the path you must take has been prepared for you" is a line you end up hearing a lot and im still not completely sure what to make of it. is it about the falsity of a solution to ones problems presented on a silver platter by an authority figure?

duel music was a little different this time i think

milk jugs on the desks this time. kozue just wants her brother to take care of her.............

the ending sequence is nasty lol. i watched with sub and dub and the sub is definitely better for a lot of these big lines.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Wrong bitch.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
kozue ftmfw.......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Big Leg posted:

these words will haunt me for eternity