Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Stereotype
This poll is closed.
fall in love? 10 8.33%
have a transcendent life altering experience that elevates their consciousness to a higher state? 14 11.67%
take some cool photos? 7 5.83%
get jumped and sent to the hospital by furries? 32 26.67%
waste his time and money? 57 47.50%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm trapped in the same dying biosphere that the rest of these villains are stuck in, and that gives me no small degree of comfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Virtual Russian posted:

This bigtime. Multiple artists I know are pretty honest about trading sex for career advancement, not even big advances, just like a solo show. Or for art sales from collectors. It can be pretty predatory. The high-end art world of course is infamous for being money laundering all the way through, that shouldn't be news to anyone though.

I would partially contest most art movements being about wealthy people. 99.99% of art that has been made has never been written about. Even today, most art never becomes "important". It is still meaningful and beautiful, it just didn't become "important". Clement Greenberg, who is at the center of all this, crafted a masterful narrative about art and how art developed and progressed through history. If you ever were taught art history, even in highschool, you were probably taught Greenberg's theory, though it would never have been named. In short, he posits that the development of art is linear, always progressing from movement to movement, like a baton, and that with the emergance of modernity art began to progress into increasing levels of abstraction. That theory implies, and it is also often outright stated that abstract impressionism was the end result. All art history led to that. The notion of a linear progression to art history, that centered european art, had existed since much earlier, but Greenberg codified it, making sure the world understood art belonged to new york now. Long story short, art is so much more than what you were taught good art is. It most often is the exact opposite. Go check out some local art shows, there are likely some amazing artists you'd love. No need to buy, just go see some art. Also art doesn't have to be for sale!

tl:dr - Your entire conception of art, and art history, was a CIA op. Ab Ex being CIA funded is nothing compared to the art history you learned in HS being made up by the CIA middleman.

thank you for taking the time to lay this all out! it’s very interesting. I hope one day you will make a mega thread about this rather than having it buried in the lol burning man thread

posts like yours are why I still visit these dead gay forums

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Virtual Russian posted:

This bigtime. Multiple artists I know are pretty honest about trading sex for career advancement, not even big advances, just like a solo show. Or for art sales from collectors. It can be pretty predatory. The high-end art world of course is infamous for being money laundering all the way through, that shouldn't be news to anyone though.

I would partially contest most art movements being about wealthy people. 99.99% of art that has been made has never been written about. Even today, most art never becomes "important". It is still meaningful and beautiful, it just didn't become "important". Clement Greenberg, who is at the center of all this, crafted a masterful narrative about art and how art developed and progressed through history. If you ever were taught art history, even in highschool, you were probably taught Greenberg's theory, though it would never have been named. In short, he posits that the development of art is linear, always progressing from movement to movement, like a baton, and that with the emergance of modernity art began to progress into increasing levels of abstraction. That theory implies, and it is also often outright stated that abstract impressionism was the end result. All art history led to that. The notion of a linear progression to art history, that centered european art, had existed since much earlier, but Greenberg codified it, making sure the world understood art belonged to new york now. Long story short, art is so much more than what you were taught good art is. It most often is the exact opposite. Go check out some local art shows, there are likely some amazing artists you'd love. No need to buy, just go see some art. Also art doesn't have to be for sale!

tl:dr - Your entire conception of art, and art history, was a CIA op. Ab Ex being CIA funded is nothing compared to the art history you learned in HS being made up by the CIA middleman.

highlighted and I sent it to my 17 year old she's watching this poo poo go done on TikTok

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

crack pinging into a mans rear end at burning man

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Potato Salad posted:

I'm trapped in the same dying biosphere that the rest of these villains are stuck in, and that gives me no small degree of comfort.

"Surely, the villains will suffer for their hubris and evil," I say while browsing the photos of them having a fun camping adventure where they were airlifted and sherpa'ed to safety the moment stuff got rough, while their servants got trapped in lakes of poo poo and trash. Afterwards the trash was deposited on top of nearby poors.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It always seems kinda crazy and amazing when I meet someone who managed to make art their entire money making enterprise. And they always seem to work way harder than me, the amateur art guy who does poo poo after work. My music teacher basically has a dozen jobs which includes teaching, conducting, art pieces etc. It seems like a hard way to make a living.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there's also the other way of succeeding at art: being a pretentious, self-serious, shameless insert into high society. i knew a couple people internationally that wound up in brooklyn and make the absolute hackiest middle-school poo poo. one of them just sold a mannequin head for $30,000 via sotheby's

edit i guess that was the maximum estimate, dunno what it sold for

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 6, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Coolness Averted posted:

a fun camping adventure where they were airlifted and sherpa'ed to safety the moment stuff got rough, while their servants got trapped in lakes of poo poo and trash. Afterwards the trash was deposited on top of nearby poors.

I won't speak for you, but that sure sounds villainous to me

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

i say swears online posted:

there's also the other way of succeeding at art: being a pretentious, self-serious, shameless insert into high society. i knew a couple people internationally that wound up in brooklyn and make the absolute hackiest middle-school poo poo. one of them just sold a mannequin head for $30,000 via sotheby's

edit i guess that was the maximum estimate, dunno what it sold for

a childhood buddy of mine went from just off the street to hosting galleries in LA and selling $15,000 paintings by reply guying Instagram posts by [Grammy winning musician]'s gf until she liked his replies enough his posts popped up on [musican]'s ig n got his attention & a way into the celebrity art scene

i thought it was extremely clever

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

AxGrap posted:

Govt funding art for propaganda is not new, and didn't define the styles but def exploited them. Was reminded of the infamous "monstrosities of madness" show that Hitler put on to prove a point that abstract expressionism was deviant and gross, and staged this photo with all the paintings hung all cockeyed to drive the point home lol.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Hitlery

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

omg

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

wow

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

this. this is art.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

So did OP fall in love, have a transcendent life altering experience that elevates their consciousness to a higher state, take some cool photos, get jumped and sent to the hospital by furries, or waste his time and money? Anyone? Bueller?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

oh golly

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

background css

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
Ultra Carp

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

FirstnameLastname posted:

a childhood buddy of mine went from just off the street to hosting galleries in LA and selling $15,000 paintings by reply guying Instagram posts by [Grammy winning musician]'s gf until she liked his replies enough his posts popped up on [musican]'s ig n got his attention & a way into the celebrity art scene

i thought it was extremely clever

gently caress im in the wrong line of work

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Poppers posted:

So did OP fall in love, have a transcendent life altering experience that elevates their consciousness to a higher state, take some cool photos, get jumped and sent to the hospital by furries, or waste his time and money? Anyone? Bueller?

when the molly crash hits they'll spend a few days posting in the climate thread

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

Gumball Gumption posted:

Apparently burners just drop all the trash they take out on the nearest town. https://www.kunr.org/nevada-california/2019-09-06/trash-and-burn-the-mess-after-burning-man

job creators

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

AxGrap posted:

Govt funding art for propaganda is not new, and didn't define the styles but def exploited them. Was reminded of the infamous "monstrosities of madness" show that Hitler put on to prove a point that abstract expressionism was deviant and gross, and staged this photo with all the paintings hung all cockeyed to drive the point home lol.

Now I think we can all agree we never have to hand it to Adolph Hitler

BUT

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

looks like we found the new cspam background

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Poppers posted:

they got raver bussy, had 3 kids, and now living happily ever after in Seattle voting for Biden and socking away money into maxing their 401k to repair their white picket fence while commuting in a nice new 2024 Subaru Forester to their computer job

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

this is what the new cspam background should be

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
gently caress it make it the cspam foreground. better than most posts anyway. just cover it all up with that

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

ram dass in hell posted:

lmao@ no compassion for their fellow man
tfw u pack enough molly for 4 days and end up there for 6

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Lmao

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

thank god, they finally Burned the Man :patriot:

:prepop:

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 6, 2023

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

lmfao

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
back to civilization! I had a lot of fun. stayed to see the man burn and could see temple burning from the exodus line. seems like everyone posting in this thread is gullible and stupid, not a big surprise really. I’ll probably go again next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I’m in a car in line for McDonald’s but I’ll post pics later