Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Stereotype
This poll is closed.
fall in love? 10 8.33%
have a transcendent life altering experience that elevates their consciousness to a higher state? 14 11.67%
take some cool photos? 7 5.83%
get jumped and sent to the hospital by furries? 32 26.67%
waste his time and money? 57 47.50%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

here early, ama

all the water evaporated but now everybody is three days behind schedule, whatev. it's not as hot as last year.

bm has a ton of stereotypes, but it's really a huge mix of people: billionaires to burnouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

stereotype, how would I ask for you? I'm sure as poo poo not stumbling into a random camp and asking the stairs question to everyone

also, will you have internet to post on?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Real Mean Queen posted:

What’s the most memorable thing you’ve seen so far?

this year? a raven walking down the road. seeing non-bug desert animals is a treat. saw a couple of shrews last year

oh and an army tandem doing lazy circles overhead

only been here ~36 hours tho. I'll have plenty more stories soon

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 26, 2023

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Stereotype posted:

stuff seems like it’s from like 230 to 930, and then the streets go up to J maybe?.

2-10 and esplanade to K. all the lettered streets are named after fictional animals this year, so like C is Chupacabra

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Day 1 - The Global Community
Day 2 - Creating Impact
Day 3 - Sustainability

Welcome to Davos

nah, bwb does a ton of direct action aid for the most vulnerable groups, but at the burn they also have to attract some of the money flying around

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

lol at concept of a guy heat stroking in a dust encrusted $4000 acrylic rug power armor

last year for sure. idt it got below 80 degrees all day. rn it's a v pleasant 60 and it's time for a few hours of sleep before another rousing twelve hours of raising tents and building camp. gonna be fun to watch all the clean and well-rested people roll in and inject some energy into a brutally compressed build week

also furries are comrades

I hope op gets to enjoy it here and not run to a plaza for wifi to post

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Computer Serf posted:

does any of the music out there on The Playa sound good without the gnome drugs

like other than bluegrass electroswing hardstyle or lofi clownhop and knob slobs

a lot of the music is bad to mid cookie cutter house/techno, but there's a symphony orchestra and plenty of other genres represented.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hatebag posted:

open a carbonated beverage stand and call it burping man

the camp French Quarter is currently doing this at 4:15 and esplanade, how does it feel to be so owned?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

stereotype isn't posting because they're having fun at the thing. i'm posting because I've been doing a ton of work and can't quite let it rip til it's done

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

means testing discounted tickets to burning man

it's not means tested and you don't have to prove hardship or income, you just apply early and indicate you'd like to receive discounted tix. tix also get allocated to trusted groups to distribute to people who miss the deadline or otherwise don't have access to apply. anecdotally, there's low level of fraud because most people here are trustworthy and they also inspect your car at the gate to see if you're using a low income ticket but bringing a $1600 tent and an ebike and poo poo like that

prices are high because of the large amount of infrastructure needed (toilets, etc) and because of the millions of dollars charged by the blm for the yearly permit

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

real fuckin rainy rn, everyone is shelter in place overnight and probably longer

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

RBC posted:

mud, my greatest weakness

we're prepared for everything but this

it's super hosed up dense mud that cakes on everything instantly and piles up. you can barely walk in it

speaking of super hosed up dense things, I was 100% wrong and the low income tickets are means tested but the car searches are just for contraband like weapons and fireworks

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

people are doing fine here. everybody who has been to at least one burn knows to way over provision and most people stay through Sunday and Monday anyway and have enough supplies to take care of the poor planners

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

a.lo posted:

hiking through the mud does suck. but if you can make it on foot to a main road in two hours you're not all that "stranded" are you?

the mud is a lot stickier than regular mud. you could be 3-6 miles from the road, which is a barely traveled rural route, then 5-8 miles from a larger but still barely traveled main road. in the mud this could take literally 12 hours to do.

it's raining p hard again, but this morning a lot of people drove out on the drier parts of the playa. cops are letting people go

happy to keep on the ground reports of diplo's ebola tho

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

thank god the cops gave the OK to leave the radical anarchistic gathering of artists

the official line is that people shouldn't try driving out because it's very easy to get stuck in mud pits and gently caress yourself when medevacs aren't possible. the cops don't give a gently caress about that

lmao at cspammers losing their poo poo over a festival that actually tries to be ancom when literally every other music festival in the country is a for profit cash grab with gated experiences baked in

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Dixon Chisholm posted:

still lolling at this

yeah that was cringe and factually wrong.

you can also do 16 hours of volunteer shifts for a ticket, which works out to ~$40/hr

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

you did 16 hours in the sex dome turning tricks for C++ experts

sex work is real work

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Wouldn't it actually be radical to make the rich people do work?

that'd be cool as poo poo yes

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

yep and you specialize in making beep boop noises and simulating the whirrrr of a hard drive

everybody's got a niche

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

When your radical ancom community only functions by forcing the poorest members to perform labor that no one wants to voluntarily do and has to hold the treats hostage.

nah, people actually take pride in volunteering. not everyone is doing it for the tickets

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Normally when people are having fun at something that just go do it instead of endlessly crying to people on the internet to stop being mad at all the fun they're having. Ebola man must be different

it's raining and there's nothing to do but post and wait for poo poo to dry

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

Six figgie coder: poor people love doing unpaid volunteer work and take immense pride in it

never made six figgies in my entire life lol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

I've wondered how many murders happen at Burning Man and similarly remote conventions.

It would be fairly simple in regards to loving with someone's drugs in a way that no one would notice until it was too late. They crash and don't wake up, stash them where it looks like they're sleeping, perfect murder.

The idle rich seem like they'd engage in that kind of thing.

No real reason.

p much never. one person died last year from some fucker's generator exhausting into their tent. I've heard 1-3 people have died this year from trying to run generators in standing water. I can't personally remember the last death from od. camps are stocked to the gills with narcan and the city has a very effective medical team.

anyways, spent the whole day tramping the mud to check that people were warm, dry, fed, and watered from our camp's extra provisions and brought two people who were stuck in the mud into my housing. we'll see how things have actually shaken out now that it's 50 degrees but it should be dry enough for people with two wheel drive to get out.

we're all taking care of each other here

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

wow what an exciting and unique piece of art

it's fun and big and you can climb it

as for trash, may be a little different this year because it's easy for trash to get stuck under mud, but last year, there was only a third of a dumpster's worth. 75 cigarette butts is p impressive for 80,000 people

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

looks like tens of thousands of people chilling in place and a couple dozen assholes ignoring advice and risking their and others' safety.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

my camp got an official reprimand for leaving behind three pistachio shells and a couple stands of plastic fiber (from a tarp that had shredded)

someone please find me a cleaner gathering of 80,000 people, because most of them look like this

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

allowable tested stacking weight on those IBCs is neighborhood of 4000 kg. in that image I see 6 people on the top of one stack. eight high six folks is pushing 2000 kgs. but it’s eight high.

so that’s like putting the 40 metric ton can on the top of the stack in a container ship, and without the equivalent of twist locks or lashing bars. that stack is eight IBCs high most IBCs are about 1M^3. the sail area on that stack is quite large. betting those IBCs are secured with those blue plastic pallets and zip ties.

lol. lmao.

some rear end in a top hat did “the math” (by this I mean checked stack weight) but lol there is bunch of math that wasn’t even on their radar. a good good wind with folks up ontop is almost certainly a fail state for that thing.

lol, all art at burning man has to clear safety engineering analysis, even down to the art cars and must be rated for 100mph gusts on all shear axes at load. the ibcs are lashed together externally with metal

artists here are aware of wind and that people will climb an obviously climbable structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

gotta lot of work to do striking but if you're interested at all in bm, come out. I'm happy to give an insider's perspective on what happens here. very very little of the bureaucracy and public works are publicly accessible information, like the fact that there's a decent hospital with medical imaging and MDs on site.

the media only reports on "dirty hippies rained out" and Twitter boosts awful techbro shitlords or influencers with Starlinks. I'm in a weird position where I have internet access from the org and can give a perspective that's none of the above. for all the social media panic that people were trapped here and desperate to get out of a himanitarian emergency, only 15% of people actually left yesterday when the gates opened because of how well-provisioned everyone is