Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Stereotype
This poll is closed.
fall in love? 10 8.33%
have a transcendent life altering experience that elevates their consciousness to a higher state? 14 11.67%
take some cool photos? 7 5.83%
get jumped and sent to the hospital by furries? 32 26.67%
waste his time and money? 57 47.50%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Did they let y'all take one of the climate protesters to throw into the fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

real fuckin rainy rn, everyone is shelter in place overnight and probably longer

Did you get to run over the protesters? How's the tribute to Ukraine? Anything interesting at the Biden camp?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Beating the poo poo out of climate protesters so I can go drown in mud and become a beautiful flower child

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Weed Wolf posted:

54% of burning man attendees in 2022 made over 75k a year.
40% in 2022 made over 100k a year

They're gonna do fine in the mud

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Stereotype posted:

so far it seems like everyone is super stoked that it got even crazier and more difficult to live here. honestly these are the real doomsday preppers for real.

Unironic climate change supporters

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao I bet the cspam goons will have zero introspection about the type of people who go to this event

Most hippies are just Nazis who want to kill you for having the wrong colored energy

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

*Dude voluntarily stuck in the mud where people died after a freak weather event and they had to beat up climate protesters to get the privilege to even get there*

Stereotype posted:

reality is just sort of normal and fine.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Did you at least try to scare any oil execs while doing Ket with them?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The patterns are very complicated

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Stereotype posted:

so what I’ve learned from this thread is that burning man makes people not at burning man go completely insane and turn into fanatical bloodthirsty monsters.

You regularly post about how people need to kill politicians

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dudes post about shooting nestle lawyers yet when they run into them at the orgy dome they're all "yes, sir. Thank you sir. You can gently caress me sir"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lacrosse posted:

Thanks buddy. Without us admitting to coming to this ya'll would be missing out on a gently caress ton of free entertainment. I didn't have to come here to get dragged by goons, I chose this.

I've got some pretty rad photos but I'm trying to be mindful of our satellite bandwidth so I haven't been posting any.

Did the cops let you take a hit on the climate protesters or did you get there too late?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lacrosse posted:

It's the cops fining people, not the org.

Ancom community being policed without their consent, hate to see it

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lacrosse posted:

I was here on site for over a day before that happened also I didn't travel that route.

Oh, so you're carbon neutral

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Wasting all that energy so you can be online in the middle of the desert arguing with goons. Burners are changing the loving world with their radical creativity and are not just libertarian losers.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

yeah that was cringe and factually wrong.

you can also do 16 hours of volunteer shifts for a ticket, which works out to ~$40/hr

Wouldn't it actually be radical to make the rich people do work?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Radical ancom community using the same free tickets plan as ComicCon

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

When your radical ancom community only functions by forcing the poorest members to perform labor that no one wants to voluntarily do and has to hold the treats hostage.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

that'd be cool as poo poo yes

Yeah well, what can you do. Now vroom vroom protesters, I've got a future supreme court justice to top

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Normally when people are having fun at something that just go do it instead of endlessly crying to people on the internet to stop being mad at all the fun they're having. Ebola man must be different

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

A lot of so called leftist showing their rear end as anti sex work by mocking burning man volunteers

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Wolfy posted:

https://twitter.com/grovernorquist/status/1698191440852250775

looks like our buddy went to the ancom festy again this year

Burners are saving the planet

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

my camp got an official reprimand for leaving behind three pistachio shells and a couple stands of plastic fiber (from a tarp that had shredded)

someone please find me a cleaner gathering of 80,000 people, because most of them look like this

Cope, go suck Grover's dick

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

The report you linked says things got much worse in 2022, announced a call to do better in the future, and noted that burners left behind over 1,000 metal stakes.

It rules that the actual link is "stop loving it up, all you new assholes left too much trash and you're going to ruin this"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Gathering of the Juggalos is way more pure because they don't need to lie to themselves about it being a few days of hedonism. Nothing wrong with that, just be honest

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

HallelujahLee posted:

this sounds like it was decent a decade ago when it wasent packed to the brim with garbage hedge fund losers and others

It was packed full of those people then too.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah late 90's was still mostly kooky art folks, like obviously there were still rich people involved, but it hadn't hit the point where there were airports and whole camps ran by hired help thing.
By 2013 the overt corruption was totally there, but if you ever pointed it out, you'd get told "you don't understand the spirit of radical inclusion things are different on the playa," and they still would pretend it was a tiny art fest.
Now there's literally branded stages and pavilions, so burners can have a little commodification as a treat.

Also most of those kooky art folks have always been right wing rugged individualist types. That's really the thing with hippies, that whole philosophy is about believing yourself to be some flavor of magical ubermensch.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

sitchensis posted:

can you explain this more

They funded a lot of art programs in the 20th century with the purpose of shaping the art that was produced. The Iowa Writers Workshop was CIA funded to encourage the production of the great American novel that would reinforce the rugged individualism of the US.

Instead of controlling cultural output and discussions through censorship offices like so many other countries the US primarily does it by integrating and taking over the places where the discussions first happen and where artists first learn.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 5, 2023

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

pollack especially largely had his work bought by wallstreet and ny media figures, who were either close to CIA or who essentially comprised and ran the CIA, on or off-book, who used it less for promoting contra-soviet art expressions (which they did, sure) but more to launder vast sums of money and transfer it between their opposite numbers in europe, then vice vera later in his career.

its not so much the CIA invented modern art, which is a claim I've seen made a lot, but that they took a new, sort of niche, anti-(soviet)-realist art movement and blew it the gently caress up so they could move around their drug and nazi money, a thing that they still do constantly to this day, although art is probably less of a vector now thanks to bitcoin etc

In a lot of ways it's the same culture war bullshit as always. Because abstract impressionism was disliked by the soviets we had to love it while still calling every artist a homosexual communist. (The soviets were of course convinced all the artists were homosexual capitalists)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

aw frig aw dang it posted:

swat team busts in and absolutely annihilates my painting of Naruto

Explaining that my Hatsune Miku figurines are not degenerate capitalist icons

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Apparently burners just drop all the trash they take out on the nearest town. https://www.kunr.org/nevada-california/2019-09-06/trash-and-burn-the-mess-after-burning-man

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The CIA didn't invent stuff, their method was to find people already doing what they wanted and providing those people with a platform and cash while suppressing opposition.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

im glad the OP decided that Antarctica was full of republicans and chuds, and instead went to the influencer festival with Grover Norquist, Elon Musk and the "rich men north of richmond" guy

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

This bigtime. Multiple artists I know are pretty honest about trading sex for career advancement, not even big advances, just like a solo show. Or for art sales from collectors. It can be pretty predatory. The high-end art world of course is infamous for being money laundering all the way through, that shouldn't be news to anyone though.

I would partially contest most art movements being about wealthy people. 99.99% of art that has been made has never been written about. Even today, most art never becomes "important". It is still meaningful and beautiful, it just didn't become "important". Clement Greenberg, who is at the center of all this, crafted a masterful narrative about art and how art developed and progressed through history. If you ever were taught art history, even in highschool, you were probably taught Greenberg's theory, though it would never have been named. In short, he posits that the development of art is linear, always progressing from movement to movement, like a baton, and that with the emergance of modernity art began to progress into increasing levels of abstraction. That theory implies, and it is also often outright stated that abstract impressionism was the end result. All art history led to that. The notion of a linear progression to art history, that centered european art, had existed since much earlier, but Greenberg codified it, making sure the world understood art belonged to new york now. Long story short, art is so much more than what you were taught good art is. It most often is the exact opposite. Go check out some local art shows, there are likely some amazing artists you'd love. No need to buy, just go see some art. Also art doesn't have to be for sale!

tl:dr - Your entire conception of art, and art history, was a CIA op. Ab Ex being CIA funded is nothing compared to the art history you learned in HS being made up by the CIA middleman.

This is a good post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Stereotype posted:

back to civilization! I had a lot of fun. stayed to see the man burn and could see temple burning from the exodus line. seems like everyone posting in this thread is gullible and stupid, not a big surprise really. I’ll probably go again next year

lol you post about killing politicians yet sucked grover's gulch out