Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."
I am not a water I am a human being and 0 is cold and 100 is hot, not like 0 is a thing for me atomically and 100 is the next thing too, so keep it hunderd imo and use the human based system.

Customary has a bunch of units per measurement and metric system has one and a bunch of words like kilo and milli which they think is metric only but have they heard of a kilofoot or a milliinch??

Never change America, stick to your guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I measure everything in football fields or G4 iMacs. Not just physical dimensions, all measurements.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

How many stones does a hogshead weigh?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

syntaxfunction posted:

I measure everything in football fields or G4 iMacs. Not just physical dimensions, all measurements.

Sorry I only measure in g3 imacs.

I'm about 4.62 g3's tall and weight about 4 or so g3's

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

Murdstone posted:

How many stones does a hogshead weigh?

why cant barrels come in sizes of powers of ten? checkmate

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
nobody thinks the customary system is hard, doofus.

we think it's loving idiotic.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
First you steal the worst country from them and now you're trying to take credit for the worst system of measurements. "Customary System" indeed.

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

frumpykvetchbot posted:

I think it can be hard, finding a Google query to convert from feet to feet and inches is hard

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
Counterpoint: Ask literally any American to tell you how many yards are in a mile without looking at their phone

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Passive Aggreeable posted:

I think it can be hard, finding a Google query to convert from feet to feet and inches is hard

Hang on, doesn't that mean you can answer your own question? Why'd you ask us if you're the one that finds it hard?

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Counterpoint: Ask literally any American to tell you how many inches are in a yard without looking at their phone

got two 12's and a 36 from three patients, 33%

1,144, 1500, 1000 for meters in a kilometer so ymmv

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

got two 12's and a 36 from three patients, 33%

1,144, 1500, 1000 for meters in a kilometer so ymmv
Realized that was actually one of the easier ones and ninja edited, but surprised two still got it wrong

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

Hang on, doesn't that mean you can answer your own question? Why'd you ask us if you're the one that finds it hard?

bcuz bcuz ok u got me :siren::siren: mods change thread title to WHY ELSE??

huehue just messing with u m8

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Counterpoint: Ask literally any American to tell you how many yards are in a mile without looking at their phone

Americans don't know how many yards are in a mile not because it's hard, but because it does not matter for 99% of them, the two scales of distance do not interact with each other in everyday life or even in the vast majority of non-everyday life

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

the wat

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Metric is better. They're a pretty decent band but the newest album wasn't super great

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

Americans don't know how many yards are in a mile not because it's hard, but because it does not matter for 99% of them, the two scales of distance do not interact with each other in everyday life or even in the vast majority of non-everyday life

school was a trip, wah wah wah I bet

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

I think sports announcers should bring up how many inches are in a yard and (I doubt it will ever come up) how many meters are in a kilometer as a sort of like flouride for hardening our minds.

MSB3000
Jul 30, 2008
We shouldn't be measuring things to begin with.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Yards are only for football, fabric, and the yard ‘o beer at the Medieval Faire.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

MSB3000 posted:

We shouldn't be measuring things to begin with.

If we stop measuring maybe people will stop buying big trucks????

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Nah because a truck would need to be like at least as tall as that tree over there to for some people to fit in it. Plus my cousin is as fat as that rock so it would need to be able to carry like at least 7 really big rocks because I've seen people way fatter than my cousin.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

syntaxfunction posted:

The Earth is approximately 1.71 billion G4 iMacs old

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Imperial system is what you use for treasure maps if you want to confuse people.

Pretty sure that's it's only real world use.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
The metric and imperial systems are out of touch with real needs. Anything beyond computing grain storage volume is bullshit and fake.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Rescale the metric system so a "meter" is the length currently assigned to one foot. Start using decimeters. The answer is, somewhere in the middle

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

frumpykvetchbot posted:

on a scale of 0-100 how idiotic

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
OP you are more a water than not, as am I.

As are we all.

Liquid trapped in arrogant solids.

We were meant to flow, not to know.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Rescale the metric system so a "meter" is the length currently assigned to one foot. Start using decimeters. The answer is, somewhere in the middle

the foot is unironically a really conveniently scaled unit of measurement. oi ya mate me room is 2.8 by 4.4 meters, it's a bit tough to fit a good sized bed in when you're 187cm.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

AARD VARKMAN posted:

1.5 decimeters?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

same but feet

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

:edit: yeah

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kelvins are unscientific poo poo, ask any thermodynamics scientist and they'll tell you that Kelvins have horsecrap like negative temperatures that are hotter than all positive temperatures, because they screwed up on defining the unit and actually cold is more fundamental than heat.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bustomary

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
A boulder the size of several small boulders.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

its all nice on rice posted:

A boulder the size of several small boulders.

Are we talking small regular boulders or small nautical boulders?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
metricailures never heard of the phrase, "the customar is always right" :eng101:

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I am not a water I am a human being and 0 is cold and 100 is hot, not like 0 is a thing for me atomically and 100 is the next thing too, so keep it hunderd imo and use the human based system.

Customary has a bunch of units per measurement and metric system has one and a bunch of words like kilo and milli which they think is metric only but have they heard of a kilofoot or a milliinch??

Never change America, stick to your guns

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousandth_of_an_inch

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
a kilofoot is one of those feet from monty python that squashes something and makes a fart sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Is it pronounced "hog's head" or "hog sheed"?