Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

love when im talking to an american customer and they're using us customary units, but using thousandths of an inch, giving me feet in decimals, using bar for pressure, expressing force in kips, and then giving me temps in kelvin for some reason. they've tacitly admitted that a base 10 system is better but kludged it into their traditional measurements. ah well, since US customary is based on metric, it's all easy to convert anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

I'd never heard of the customary system before this thread. I thought your idiotic system was called Imperial.

:shrug:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Blow posted:

I'd never heard of the customary system before this thread. I thought your idiotic system was called Imperial.

:shrug:

imperial is the idiotic units the uk uses. us customary is an offshoot from them. there's a lot of overlap. i think the uk also bases imperial on metric as well so it's just a layer of obfuscation on top of metric like us customary is, but there are some distinctions left between the two

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Two inches or a yard
Rock hard or if it’s saggin

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I like using "imperial" to refer to it because it's a reminder of the horrors of imperialism every time someone has to remember something arcane like 1' = 12" or 5280' = 1 mile or talk about fractions of an inch when measuring for home repairs.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i live in a special kind of hell where much of the local tooling and engineering design thought is in metric, but due to our proximity to US steel and aluminum mills, practically all of our raw material stock is in US units, and also we have a ton of US customers. so metric and US customary are basically interchangeable to me and i need fluency in both

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Fractions of an inch own for home repair.

I dare you to hang 3 picture frames equidistant in a 1m span. Show me where the gently caress 0.33... is on your tape.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Which weighs more an ounce of gold or an ounce of feathers?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
a base 10 system is obviously better you just need to scale the numbers used so they're convenient for every day use. Celsius on the other hand is just refusing to use the better system, FAHRENHEIT

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

zedprime posted:

I dare you to hang 3 picture frames equidistant in a 1m span. Show me where the gently caress 0.33... is on your tape.

It's where it says 0.33m or 33cm on the tape, pretty easy to find

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

zedprime posted:

if you can't find 33.3 centimeters on your tape, you have bigger problems than a choice of measurement system

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

GABA ghoul posted:

It's where it says 0.33m or 33cm on the tape, pretty easy to find
No, it's 1/3 of the way in between 33cm and 34 cm.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

loling trying to imagine my qc guy measuring a part and realizing it's metric and that he cannot find .33 m or .166 m or something lmao. if only we'd spec'd this in inches, it would be possible to measure it. alas, we used metric, notorious for being unmeasurable

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

AARD VARKMAN posted:

a base 10 system is obviously better you just need to scale the numbers used so they're convenient for every day use. Celsius on the other hand is just refusing to use the better system, FAHRENHEIT

Wrong

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

just came back from europe and whew. weird spacing between literally everything there. not a single equidistant grouping of objects anywhere on the continent. the metric system has struck again.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Yeah, because clearly celcius is also better, I agree.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

just came back from europe and whew. weird spacing between literally everything there. not a single equidistant grouping of objects anywhere on the continent. the metric system has struck again.

EUROPEANS :argh:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

I forgot you were a kettle of water, concerned only with state change. In that case Celsius is an excellent scale

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

if you can't find 33.3 centimeters on your tape, you have bigger problems than a choice of measurement system
I'm more entertained that because a French guy had OCD you have to routinely use interpolative interpretation (which, don't get me wrong, has fine accuracy in day to day processes) or adjusted metrics any time you want to do 3 of something. They figured this out 10000 years ago, whole number systems have cognitive advantages if you have common divisors of both 2 and 3. Multiples of 10 isn't a cognitive advantage, it's a compulsion born out of growing up with a base 10 counting system.

Actually this is all a front because I am incredibly angry we don't use Swatch Internet Time.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

It's time for tea bitches

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
A meter and a yard are close enough to be completely interchangeable. Just a tip for all you engineers and architects.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

metric time or bust

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

A meter and a yard are close enough to be completely interchangeable. Just a tip for all you engineers and architects.

A yard is a part of land near a building that is part of the property that isn't the building

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

zedprime posted:

zedprime posted:

check out Zeno of Elea over here. all hanging mosaics of the labours of heracles and poo poo

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

zedprime posted:

No, 33cm makes them equidistant over a length of 0.99m, which is what we Europeans always use to hang pictures. We call it a nineniner

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I'm from the US, but I use the metric system whenever I can to be polite to my friends from outside of the US & England :unsmith: Whatever the hell measurement system the US uses is so rare, it seems kind of rude to expect everyone else to use it

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

zedprime posted:

I'm more entertained that because a French guy had OCD you have to routinely use interpolative interpretation (which, don't get me wrong, has fine accuracy in day to day processes) or adjusted metrics any time you want to do 3 of something. They figured this out 10000 years ago, whole number systems have cognitive advantages if you have common divisors of both 2 and 3. Multiples of 10 isn't a cognitive advantage, it's a compulsion born out of growing up with a base 10 counting system.

Actually this is all a front because I am incredibly angry we don't use Swatch Internet Time.

you're using a tape dog. measuring to the 4 inch tick mark isn't inherently more accurate than measureing to the 33 cm and 3 mm tick mark lmao. by grabbing your tape you've already admitted that you're not looking for accuracy. cognitive advantages, yeah, that's why all of industry uses decimal inches, decimal feet, decimal everything

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i grew up with both, and use both, and can easily say without hesitation that us customary is worse in nearly every way

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Every time I see pictures of Europe it’s all leaning towers and crumbling castles. Seems like maybe they need to get a more accurate measurement system in place.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i will admit that fahrenheit is easier to use for day to day temp measurements. industrially, they're indistinguishable, just pick one. most of the mech eng i know use kelvin tho (even american)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Faceted gemstones are measured in the customar unit of carats, which are conveniently now defined as one fifth of a gram, because when cutting a gem the typical expected yield is about 20% of the rough weight.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

you're using a tape dog. measuring to the 4 inch tick mark isn't inherently more accurate than measureing to the 33 cm and 3 mm tick mark lmao. by grabbing your tape you've already admitted that you're not looking for accuracy. cognitive advantages, yeah, that's why all of industry uses decimal inches, decimal feet, decimal everything
I'm not talking about industry I'm talking about home repair. By the time you are spending an honest days work of 333.33... Beats on anything you're going to be using a metric of your own derivation on trade practices and shortcuts.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

How am I supposed to measure things in America if my foot is only 10" long?

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm from the US, but I use the metric system whenever I can to be polite to my friends from outside of the US & England :unsmith: Whatever the hell measurement system the US uses is so rare, it seems kind of rude to expect everyone else to use it

Pretty much how I've been, almost everyone I've ever befriended is outside the US so I just got used to dealing with metric everything in conversation. So I just use it unless prompted otherwise.
SO's mom is brit/canadian so whenever she visits and talks about the weather it's in celcius.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Something I hate is people refusing to learn even a vague notion of comparison between metric and imperial, C and F, 24 hour time. At least, people who run in to it regularly, which I feel like that includes any person reading this forum

love reading posts and being LOL!! No idea what temperature that is!! Refuse to learn, well until next week when I do this again

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

Thank you. As someone who has had to deal with these weird rear end garbage units professionally, I absolutely hate everything about them and I'm really thankful when people do not bring them up in any international setting. I can't wait until they are completely gone like proprietary phone charger connectors or dental amalgam fillings

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

zedprime posted:

I'm not talking about industry I'm talking about home repair. By the time you are spending an honest days work of 333.33... Beats on anything you're going to be using a metric of your own derivation on trade practices and shortcuts.

i promise you the rest of the world isn't struggling with the concept like americans are

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I lived through the change to the metric system in Australia. After the requisite bitching and moaning amongst some of the public, about everyone adjusted no problem.

I'll always think of people's heights in feet and inches though, and there's no law against that. Otherwise I'm fully and happily "converted".

You yanks can of course choose never to go metric, and hold parades and make songs and Hollywood movies about how wonderfully MAGA or whatever the imperial system is. None of the rest of the world gives a flying gently caress.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

i promise you the rest of the world isn't struggling with the concept like americans are
I have trouble believing this when the rest of the world has never stopped sucking from the 2,3,4,5,6,12 perfect common divisor time dick. Hellooo, it will take max 10.4166... Beats to ween yourself off.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol i just googled swatch time and it's insanely ftw. i'm a believer

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Now that I have your true attention I'd like to bend your ear on my plan to liberate angles from the clutches of highly composite numbers or constructions requiring irrational numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

zedprime posted:

I have trouble believing this when the rest of the world has never stopped sucking from the 2,3,4,5,6,12 perfect common divisor time dick. Hellooo, it will take max 10.4166... Beats to ween yourself off.

Lmao, I have never ever met anyone in my entire life who struggled to find 33.3cm on a tape or developed some kind of shortcuts or idiosyncratic units to deal with the number. The idea is absolutely insane. You just read the number you need on the measuring tape and move on with your life