Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

GABA ghoul posted:

Lmao, I have never ever met anyone in my entire life who struggled to find 33.3cm on a tape or developed some kind of shortcuts or idiosyncratic units to deal with the number. The idea is absolutely insane. You just read the number you need on the measuring tape and move on with your life

33.3cm is not precisely one third of a meter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Once there was a college chemistry lab. The professor asked the students "please divide the 1L of reagent evenly into two 500 mL flasks." One woman asked "what if you want 3 flasks?" The professor said "don't be silly, we don't do that." "But sir, if we had 1 gal of reagent, I would simply measure out 3 ⅓ quarts." The professor, destroyed, sat down and clutched his head crying while the class cheered her on.

That woman? Betty Crocker.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

zedprime posted:

Now that I have your true attention I'd like to bend your ear on my plan to liberate angles from the clutches of highly composite numbers or constructions requiring irrational numbers.

gradians much>?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i think we should abandon the current day system. there should just be two days: oneday and twoday, alternating forever. some people have onedays off and work twodays, some people vice versa. by law no one ever has to work both.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
When I was in Kindergarten my teacher told us an inch is about the size of your thumb. I held onto this until my 20s when I realized my thumb has gotten bigger.

That’s how little measuring matters

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Earwicker posted:

i think we should abandon the current day system. there should just be two days: oneday and twoday, alternating forever. some people have onedays off and work twodays, some people vice versa. by law no one ever has to work both.

This would destroy the friday vibe and I need that to survive

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Saalkin posted:

This would destroy the friday vibe and I need that to survive

it would be like every other day is friday

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Earwicker posted:

it would be like every other day is friday

completely idiotic notion. you've also destroyed the weekend single handedly. cease this line of thinking immediately. final warning.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

completely idiotic notion. you've also destroyed the weekend single handedly. cease this line of thinking immediately. final warning.

every other day is friday and the day that isnt friday, is saturday. but also sunday. and friday is also monday, but then again, it's friday. and think about it this way: wednesday? eliminated. just loving gone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

i will admit that fahrenheit is easier to use for day to day temp measurements. industrially, they're indistinguishable,

Sometimes you can get more precision by buying something that outputs degrees F instead of degrees C, without an increase in price.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

One foot is actually the length of the king's dick.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

One foot is actually the length of the king's dick.

can you share with us your data you have logged w/r/t the kings load and the stack he uses to achieve it?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
honestly they shouldve h-bombed europe and moscow too back in '45

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
The real problem is using a numeral system that has a base with only two prime factors. And neither of them are 3

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

What about a 4 day week, but every monday is a Holiday Monday. so it goes Monday (but whew, this one's a holiday!), Friday - hell yeah last day of the week, Saturday, Sunday

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

N. Senada posted:

When I was in Kindergarten my teacher told us an inch is about the size of your thumb. I held onto this until my 20s when I realized my thumb has gotten bigger.

Still useful for measuring your dilz though

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
wait it’s really called customary and imperial

and not standard and metric?

:911:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

AARD VARKMAN posted:

33.3cm is not precisely one third of a meter

What kind of home repair do you need to do if you need accuracy down to less than a thousandth of a meter??

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

DrSunshine posted:

What kind of home repair do you need to do if you need accuracy down to less than a thousandth of a meter??

Shade-tree Cybertruck mechanic.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
US units are dumb but also have never led to confusion in my day to day non science use. A mile is a feeling of distance imo, yeah its a weirdly uneven amount of feet, but Im not visualizing a mile by breaking it into smaller units, something just feels ~about a mile~

Also I didnt know it was called customary units so thats cool. Just always said imperial. Cant wait to push up my nonexistent glasses and "well actually" when the opportunity arises.

Fahrenheit is better tho.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

a mile that goes uphill is a lot longer than a flat mile

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

numberoneposter posted:

a mile that goes uphill is a lot longer than a flat mile

A mile that goes uphill is a lot longer than a kilometer that goes up hill.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Walk a mile in these shoes pal

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Uriah Heep posted:

US units are dumb but also have never led to confusion in my day to day non science use. A mile is a feeling of distance imo, yeah its a weirdly uneven amount of feet, but Im not visualizing a mile by breaking it into smaller units, something just feels ~about a mile~

Also I didnt know it was called customary units so thats cool. Just always said imperial. Cant wait to push up my nonexistent glasses and "well actually" when the opportunity arises.

Fahrenheit is better tho.

It's not an inherent property of a mile as a measure of distance. If you grew up in Europe you could likewise fairly accurately say that this distance is about a kilometer

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

Grey Cat posted:

A mile that goes uphill is a lot longer than a kilometer that goes up hill.

my dick is a mile long, do u know how many inches that is, loser?

Sekenr posted:

It's not an inherent property of a mile as a measure of distance. If you grew up in Europe you could likewise fairly accurately say that this distance is about a kilometer

Im aware of that. Im just saying that as a response to people that are criticizing the mile because of the awkward number of feet its made up of, which imo is irrelevant in most day to day cases. This is true of any measurement in a conversational sense, I can intuit about a foot, a yard, mile, ounce etc because Ive been immersed in this mode of units for my lifetime, same of which is true for those who use metric.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
We don't have any good measurement system that handles division into 7ths very well. We should work on that first, IMO.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Uriah Heep posted:

my dick is a mile long, do u know how many inches that is, loser?

Im going to guess a mile is roughly 3 inches

you know what they say, it's not how long a mile is it's how fast you do it.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
This thread is about 2 golden retrievers too long

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Uriah Heep posted:

US units are dumb but also have never led to confusion in my day to day non science use. A mile is a feeling of distance imo, yeah its a weirdly uneven amount of feet

there is nothing "uneven" about the number 5280

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

it was a photo finish, he won by a hare's length

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Earwicker posted:

there is nothing "uneven" about the number 5280

I have trouble visualizing how far that is without a conversion into number of football fields (I'm American)

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
One football field = half mile

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
An acre is one square football field

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

everyone always talks about football field length, but nobody talks about football field girth

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 25, 2023

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

numberoneposter posted:

everyone always talks about football field length, but not football field girth
Large enough for 22 men to get in comfortably and have some fun but small enough that they all need to be touching most of the time

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

the speed of light is faster than a dog

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Also wasn't it called Imperial? We should go back to that. It makes me feel like a BIG MAN :clint:

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."

I used to work on a large vertical mill aka .250 of an inch was to take it in by 250 (thou implied). I thought millinches was mils was its own thing that's the same thing.

N. Senada posted:

I have a line on my right index medial phallanx that makes up exactly one inch from the bottom when curled. Also consider getting a tattoo!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

An acre is one square football field
An acre is the amount of land you can plow with a team of oxen in one day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

imperial is easy. 10 inches to the foot, 10 feet to the teft, 100 feet to the mini-mile, 1000 feet to the mile, 10,000 ft to the lightyear, 100 lightyears to the parsec. EASY