Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
We should adopt crores and lakhs to refer to 10 millions and 100,000, imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Nap Ghost

Passive Aggreeable posted:

I am not a water I am a human being and 0 is cold and 100 is hot, not like 0 is a thing for me atomically and 100 is the next thing too, so keep it hunderd imo and use the human based system.

Customary has a bunch of units per measurement and metric system has one and a bunch of words like kilo and milli which they think is metric only but have they heard of a kilofoot or a milliinch??

Never change America, stick to your guns

a very easier way to say it is: 32 very cold, 70 nice, 100, probably gonna die

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i think we should change temperature to a color based system

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i live in a special kind of hell where much of the local tooling and engineering design thought is in metric, but due to our proximity to US steel and aluminum mills, practically all of our raw material stock is in US units, and also we have a ton of US customers. so metric and US customary are basically interchangeable to me and i need fluency in both

working in factories full of German tools has been one of the most infuriating things I've ever done, twice in a row. It's easy to know WHICH bolts are going to be what measurement, but getting tools, specially in a motherfucking aseptic cleanroom, is a problem, especially when people don't give a poo poo. i hate the imperial system, always have, and have functioned entirely in metric for over a decade and wish everyone would.

also all German and Italian industrial computer software is complete loving trash.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

ill take a liter of cola

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Nap Ghost

numberoneposter posted:

i think we should change temperature to a color based system

:hmmyes:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Nap Ghost

numberoneposter posted:

ill take a liter of cola

Do we sell liter cola?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Do we sell liter cola?

Yes, soda comes in 1 2 and 3 liters in america. That alone should be enough for most americans to visualize metric.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Nap Ghost

Grey Cat posted:

Yes, soda comes in 1 2 and 3 liters in america. That alone should be enough for most americans to visualize metric.

Grey Cat, Thought you were cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8LtffE5mU8

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

This slid over my head, I'm ashamed.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Nap Ghost

Grey Cat posted:

This slid over my head, I'm ashamed.

Have you seen the movie? Its pretty fun?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

SHES NOT MY COUSIN

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

It's unironically on my required viewing list, it's my next movie in line.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

slammin salmon has its moments too

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

slammin salmon has its moments too

I thought Club Dread was pretty funny

one time right before he died my brother and I saw michael clarke duncan eating at a restaurant here while they were filming slammin salmon and he gave us a look like "yeah? that's where it ends" and then we all ate in peace

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

SHES NOT MY COUSIN

dude, all my cousins are ridiculously hot, and I got this face and hairline.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

dude, all my cousins are ridiculously hot, and I got this face and hairline.

hmm. wasn't expecting this in the Genuine Defense of the Imperial System Megathread

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Nap Ghost

hmm. wasn't expecting this in the Genuine Defense of the Imperial System Megathread

all my cousins are way out of my league

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Nap Ghost

They all are least 9 years younger than me, and living a good life

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

cool man. any otuer details about your sexy cousins you wanna share?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Nap Ghost

cool man. any otuer details about your sexy cousins you wanna share?

nope.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Incest is another customary system well-known to parts of the US

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Lol :owned::911:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
The meter is officially defined as the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299792458 of a second. And seconds, naturally, are the duration of 9192631770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium-133 atom.

Hm, yes, nice round numbers all. Makes perfect sense.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Nap Ghost

Mirage posted:

The meter is officially defined as the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299792458 of a second. And seconds, naturally, are the duration of 9192631770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium-133 atom.

thanks for checking in, buddy

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mirage posted:

I can eyeball you what a mm or cm is with finer precision than an inch

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."

Mirage posted:

"Other units of time, like the minute, hour, and day, are accepted for use with the modern metric system, but are not part of it" https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_time

Elegant of a system until you have to accept the dissonance of including multiple units to make things work

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MrQwerty posted:

I can eyeball you what a mm or cm is with finer precision than an inch
Hold on, one second, yup here it is
*Stamps your eyeball ISO 5725-1 certified*

Aug 26, 2023
customery has the possibility to be way smarter

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mirage posted:

The meter is officially defined as the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299792458 of a second.

cowards refused to make it a nice round number

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mirage posted:

all this time, the whole drat thing was designed by assholes

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
When you drive into Canada there's a big sign that basically goes "speed limits in Canada are in km/h. 100 km/h is about 65 mph, the speed limit is not 100 mph you cheeseburger people."

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

all this time, the whole drat thing was designed by assholes

math it a horrible mistress

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Everything the US uses is dumb except for Fahrenheit. Celsius is great for measuring the properties of water but not good at being a good numerical representation of what air feels like outside.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Nap Ghost

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Everything the US uses is dumb except for Fahrenheit. Celsius is great for measuring the properties of water but not good at being a good numerical representation of what air feels like outside.

Que?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Sorry but Metric and Imperial are both stupid. I propose a base 1337 system.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

The range of what most would consider ideal temperatures is only like 12 digits in Celsius. You can mentally envision the difference of what 60, 70, 80, 90 etc. degrees F feels like, but what about 22 vs. 27 degrees C?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's true. I've lived my whole life under draconian celsius measurements and each day I look at the temperature on the weather forecast and have no idea what to expect. It's crazy and I don't know how we've managed to live like this for so long.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pekinduck posted:

When you drive into Canada there's a big sign that basically goes "speed limits in Canada are in km/h. 100 km/h is about 65 mph, the speed limit is not 100 mph you cheeseburger people."

wait, do you not have cheeseburgers in canada? thats really sad. im sorry. you should come down here and try one sometime, you're really missing out. they're very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
"The thing I grew up with makes more sense, actually."

Next up we can have partially colourblind people who can tell us that we never needed green, and lactose intolerant people who can insist that they aren't missing out on anything really. Maybe cap it off with someone doing horrible repairs while repeating "this is how we've *always* done it."

Measurement system arguments are just console fanboying for people who are too awful at games to own a console.