Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Everything the US uses is dumb except for Fahrenheit. Celsius is great for measuring the properties of water but not good at being a good numerical representation of what air feels like outside.

I agree. 75 is room temp. 85 is when you turn on the air conditioner. 90 is when you try not to go outside. 100 might be lethal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Everything the US uses is dumb except for Fahrenheit. Celsius is great for measuring the properties of water but not good at being a good numerical representation of what air feels like outside.

Fahrenheit is a confusing mess for that. 0 is literally freezing. 10 is cold, 20 is pleasant, 30 is hot, 40 is very hot. 50 is this will kill you quickly weather. Nice ten increments covers all the important weathers. O being literally freezing is helpful as it's easy to know when your going from weather that well be wet, to weather that will be icy which under Fahrenheit literally no one knows. Ask 10 people you'll get 50 different answers. I honestly think Fahrenheit just skipped it out of spite.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I love when people bring up the Fahrenheit makes more sense argument and how are you supposed to tell the difference between 20 and 25? They're openly admitting to being too stupid to do simple conversions in their head.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I love when people bring up the Fahrenheit makes more sense argument and how are you supposed to tell the difference between 20 and 25? They're openly admitting to being too stupid to do simple conversions in their head.

its simple. CX1.8+32

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I agree. 75 is room temp. 85 is when you turn on the air conditioner. 90 is when you try not to go outside. 100 might be lethal.

B...But you may as well just do the exact same rule of thumb for Celsius, just subtract 55!! :wtc:

20 = Room Temp, 30 = Turn on AC, 35 = Stay inside, 45 = Lethal.

There's absolutely no difference except the size of the number in your head!!

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~

dr_rat posted:

to weather that will be icy which under Fahrenheit literally no one knows. Ask 10 people you'll get 50 different answers.

Lol okay

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Fahrenheit let's you really luxuriate in the weather forecast. This is my 60s jacket and this is my 50s jacket. Oh will it be 30 today, better add the stuffing back to my 40s shell.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

The range of what most would consider ideal temperatures is only like 12 digits in Celsius. You can mentally envision the difference of what 60, 70, 80, 90 etc. degrees F feels like, but what about 22 vs. 27 degrees C?

i agree with you to some degree that granularity at the human scale is nice, but you're using 10 degree increments for F. like yeah you can tell the difference between 70 and 80, but can you between 70 and 71? because the difference between 70 and 72 is 1 degree C. i guess the argument being made here is that the granularity in C is insufficient?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

big numbers = better than however. and that's just simple math.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I propose a new temperature system. For any given temperature take that unit in Celcius. Then multiply it by the equivalent in Farenheit. Now multiply that by the current air pressure in PSI divided by ten. Now divide the entire thing by 163.3 (I call it the Constant Constant).

Bam, a system we can all use.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

DrSunshine posted:

B...But you may as well just do the exact same rule of thumb for Celsius, just subtract 55!! :wtc:

20 = Room Temp, 30 = Turn on AC, 35 = Stay inside, 45 = Lethal.

There's absolutely no difference except the size of the number in your head!!

no your don't know what your talking about. I worked about ten day in your lethal

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

no your don't know what your talking about. I worked about ten day in your lethal

Yeah when your in the 50's that's getting into this is seriously pretty lethal territory. 45's hot, but as long as I've got plenty of water I find it quite nice. Gone hiking where days it's hit 42-43C and yeah need to stop a bit and drink a whole lot more water -and keep your salts up- but if your near a river you can have a quick deep in every hour or so very enjoyable.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

The Imperial system makes more sense with the dividing by 3 thing. We avoid three. It's a lovely number. Good for triangles though I suppose, they're quite handy.

I usually convert from metric when I'm chatting with my stupid yank internet friends and give them both units to helpfully educate them.

It's 22.7° Celsius or 72.86° Fahrenheit here at the moment.

:science:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Puerto Rico was under Spanish rule for centuries before Yanks took it over, so it's got some weird hybrid elements of both systems.

The roads show speed as MPH but measure distance in KM. Gas is sold by the liter, but they otherwise use gallons?!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

Yeah when your in the 50's that's getting into this is seriously pretty lethal territory. 45's hot, but as long as I've got plenty of water I find it quite nice. Gone hiking where days it's hit 42-43C and yeah need to stop a bit and drink a whole lot more water -and keep your salts up- but if your near a river you can have a quick deep in every hour or so very enjoyable.

that is what no one gets! keep your salts up. One time, when it was 90+, came home and drank pickle water, felt much better!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

that is what no one gets! keep your salts up. One time, when it was 90+, came home and drank pickle water, felt much better!

Yep, your brain needs it salts and you can lose hell of a lot of them via sweat)! This is also why over-hydration -and not just the drowning sort- gets you in trouble as it can dilute the amount of sodium in your blood to much and your brain starts finds it hard to do stuff.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

reignonyourparade posted:

Americans don't know how many yards are in a mile not because it's hard, but because it does not matter for 99% of them, the two scales of distance do not interact with each other in everyday life or even in the vast majority of non-everyday life
They don’t interact because nobody can convert them, and people just think around the conversion. When the conversion is trivial, people do it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I have a hard time understanding how the feet to miles thing doesn't come up. In causal conversations Meters to KM happens pretty naturally and like not that uncommonly. Often in parks and what not signs will often say things like track a 400 meters, track b 1.5km, track c 700 meters. Oh okay if I do track a and c it's short than b. And this isn't like a hypothetical, have had pretty much that exact situation come up plenty of times.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

We'd just say that the routes are one mile, 1.5 miles, a quarter mile, etc. No need to involve feet

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I think a better way to put is that Americans know their measurements, but don't understand them. While everyone else both know their measurements and understands them. Someone bought up decimetres before and I've never used decimetres to measure anything in my life but I immediately understood it because I understand the syntactics of the metric system. Hands up if you can genuinely intuit imperial measurements from syntax alone.

It's trivial for anyone using the metric system the find the relationship between any one measurement and any other but how much is 0.7 of a yard in inches just off the top of your head?

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Thesaurus posted:

We'd just say that the routes are one mile, 1.5 miles, a quarter mile, etc. No need to involve feet
It comes up more than you’d think though. Random off-hand example is when you need like 100mL of something for a recipe, and your measuring cup is broken, you just use multiple scoops from a smaller measuring spoon, and you barely have to think about the conversion. But if you need a third of a cup of something, and your measuring cup is broken, like 99% of people are going to take a random rear end guess just to avoid having to do the conversion from tablespoons to 1/3 cup.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

dr_rat posted:

Often in parks and what not signs will often say things like track a 400 meters, track b 1.5km, track c 700 meters. Oh okay if I do track a and c it's short than b.

in the us trails in parks just round to the nearest tenth of a mile, so there's no need to use feet. if you mean like athletic tracks, those are standardized, one loop is a quarter mile.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

But if you need a third of a cup of something, and your measuring cup is broken, like 99% of people are going to take a random rear end guess just to avoid having to do the conversion.

i just look it up on my phone it takes like two seconds :confused:

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Earwicker posted:

i just look it up on my phone it takes like two seconds :confused:
You had to do something extra though, which is annoying as gently caress when working through a new recipe. Also, unless you’re super disciplined about hand-washing or sanitizing your phone, you’ve probably gotten diarrhea and given it to other people from doing this.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I think a better way to put is that Americans know their measurements, but don't understand them. While everyone else both know their measurements and understands them. Someone bought up decimetres before and I've never used decimetres to measure anything in my life but I immediately understood it because I understand the syntactics of the metric system. Hands up if you can genuinely intuit imperial measurements from syntax alone.

Oh I really like how you phrased that. And yeah I was helping my niece with math last years, she was doing measurements and was working off a simplified version -and without the mnemonic, do they ever work?- of this:

It makes it so much easier. I think a said some variation of "have you counted the 0's, what does that make it?", or "so how many 0's do you think it should have?" hundreds of times. But once you get it for one you get it for all three.

The only outlier is digital storage. 1024 ya drat binary loving freaks! :argh:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

You had to do something extra though, which is annoying as gently caress when working through a new recipe. Also, unless you’re super disciplined about hand-washing or sanitizing your phone, you’ve probably gotten diarrhea and given it to other people from doing this.

yes, i am very disciplined about hand-washing especially when i am working with raw meat or eggs or anything else that warrants extra care, and have never given myself or anyone else diarrhea as far as i am aware. and usually i go over a recipe and make sure i have everything in order and measured out before i start actually cooking anything. it's during that phase that i do any conversions.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
My only issue with Celsius is that it's too low resolution. You never hear someone say it's 76.5 degrees F.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

Earwicker posted:

yes, i am very disciplined about hand-washing especially when i am working with raw meat or eggs or anything else that warrants extra care, and have never given myself or anyone else diarrhea as far as i am aware. and usually i go over a recipe and make sure i have everything in order and measured out before i start actually cooking anything. it's during that phase that i do any conversions.
That's awesome, and it's great that you're taking contamination risks seriously.

Most other people don't do mise en place and don't think much about the cleanliness of touching their phones (or glasses, belt buckle, faucet handles, dishwasher handle, oven knobs, etc.).

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Fahrenheit is deranged.
0= underneath a pile of snow outside the shed
100= up a horse's rear end in a top hat

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Most other people don't do mise en place and don't think much about the cleanliness of touching their phones

well i dont really think of it as "mise en place" per se as im not a trained chef or anything, its just because with how my brain works thats something i absolutely have to do or i will gently caress it all up fifteen minutes in. in fact i suspect a professional chef would probably think i prep a little too much.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Devils Affricate posted:

My only issue with Celsius is that it's too low resolution. You never hear someone say it's 76.5 degrees F.

Unless your doing a science experiment than your going to be saying 24C or 25C and if it's a science experiment than more decimal places make you look more science anyway.

If you put me in a room and said what's the temperature, I'm only going to get within 1-2C at best. Where I am at the moment I would guess 21C it could be 22, it could be 20. Most probably there's a lot of people better temperatures than me who can actually feel to 21.5c or whatever. I really couldn't (I hear some chief learn to feel temperature by touch to an incredible degree, so anyway they're the ones giving you all diarrhea).

But yeah causal conversation never heard a decimal being added to a C temp.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
A 12 centimeter penis just sounds more impressive

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Most other people don't do mise en place and don't think much about the cleanliness of touching their phones (or glasses, belt buckle, faucet handles, dishwasher handle, oven knobs, etc.).

I remember there was some comedian who did a bit about how you always do up your belt after you wash your hands when going to the toilet, so belt is just riddled with filth. Yeah, never thought about my belt the same way after that.

Clean your belts people, make that fucker shine!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

You always hear people talk about the customary system, but why don’t we ever hear about the uncommon system, the weirdass system, or the insane-o-mode system

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Also lol @ wearing a belt in 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

dr_rat posted:

The only outlier is digital storage. 1024 ya drat binary loving freaks! :argh:

the decimal reformists had their heart in the right place, sure, but I think the inane binary replacement prefixes they came up with just sounded like baby noises or pet treats and I know of no electronics engineers who would voluntarily use these terms in casual conversation:

Kibibytes
Mebibytes
Gibibytes
Tebigbytes
Pebibytes
etc

Rolls off the tongue! Bibabibabu

I can tolerate the written KiB GiB, TiB etc forms. But saying it out loud feels stupid.

EE's and computer adjacent people have been using kilo, mega, giga prefixes since the first computers got big enough to have thousands of storage cells, and of course it started with a casual misappropriation of the "kilo" prefix due to 1024 being similar enough in magnitude to 1000. But once you get to megabytes and gigabytes the discrepancy between decimal and binary values are getting silly and so something like an industry reform should have been comprehensively done 30 or 40 years ago.

At least when designing memory stuff on the circuit level the only thing that makes sense is to stay in powers-of-two based number schemes, owing to the binary addressing in the driver logic, so deep down and at least in casual shorthand, a "kilobyte" of storage is always going to be 2^10 bytes to an EE

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Inches are only really good for measuring dicks. Also dick-inches are smaller so you can fit more of them on there so it sounds better.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Caesar Saladin posted:

Inches are only really good for measuring dicks. Also dick-inches are smaller so you can fit more of them on there so it sounds better.
Measuring dicks in centimeters results in a bigger number. 5.9 inches? Try 15 cm on for size chief. 15's pretty good. cm also stands for cock measurement

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The problem is that centimetres are so small that it takes a fair few of them before they psychologically sound like its a big measurement. Whereas with inches, you only need four of them to sound massive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

frumpykvetchbot posted:

the decimal reformists had their heart in the right place, sure, but I think the inane binary replacement prefixes they came up with just sounded like baby noises or pet treats and I know of no electronics engineers who would voluntarily use these terms in casual conversation

Haha, yeah only time I actually think it's stupid is when you have some random IT people's pay in K's being in 1024 rather than 1000... as like why? Or when they use the difference it in advertising for their advantage so how much space on the hard drive you're think your getting and how much it actually is doesn't track. The second one obviously being advertising realizing they can get away with being intentionally confusing for profit. The first one I guess weirdo IT people are going to be weirdo IT people.

But honestly as I can't think of any real reason to convert digital storage stuff to anything else. It's fine. If for what ever god forsaken reason you have to figure out how many bits are in 2.3456 terabytes you 100% have a computer that can do the math in seconds at an arms reach and probably the internet so you can get to the dozens of sites that can do it as well. With how much easier it makes how data's actually stored and used it still very much makes sense.