Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

fans who've dealt with a more typical bad GM experience thinking that someone who's sat through the Al Davis twilight years and the Mayock/Gruden run are gonna be fazed by only the low end of the draft sucking is a funny one

outside of the brief blip of Reggie McKenzie, I don't even know what it's like for your team to understand what the first round of the draft is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
The medical stuff brings up a good question since I honestly don't know. I assume that medical staff is controlled by ownership but is it actually a GM thing? I always thought that the Chargers medical failures were just a result of ownership being cheap and/or stupid.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

The337th posted:

fans who've dealt with a more typical bad GM experience thinking that someone who's sat through the Al Davis twilight years and the Mayock/Gruden run are gonna be fazed by only the low end of the draft sucking is a funny one

outside of the brief blip of Reggie McKenzie, I don't even know what it's like for your team to understand what the first round of the draft is

Telesco is just barely good enough to keep his job for several years. Maybe mediocrity is a step up, but when every year it feels like the Raiders are a dark horse to make the playoffs and always fall far short of their potential, it's a ride that you'll be happy to get off of once it's reached its final obvious conclusion. The only real difference between Telesco on the Chargers and Telesco on the Raiders is that he didn't get to choose his own head coach this time. If that makes all the difference, congrats, have hope. But as of right now, Telesco remains a fraud until proven otherwise.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

no one's ever happy to be mired in mediocrity

it's just comical to act like being a perpetual mediocre dark horse is the nadir of football fandom, particularly in relation to one of the absolute biggest tire fire franchises of this century

I can't imagine a Chargers fan even considering swapping the Telesco era for what the Raiders were doing in the same time frame, especially if that included the Chargers current post-Telesco era where they could easily bounce into success with no real hiccups (possible franchise curses not withstanding)

The337th fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 28, 2024

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Telesco has missed on a good share of early picks.

The Raiders absolutely should have gone all in on Penix and moved up in this draft and rode that magical ride until his body exploded.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Love the absolute hype around Worthy, drafted by the Chiefs who are known for their quality WRs

e: on the other hand, the magnificent drafters the Broncos selected a perfect QB specimen. Facts.

Either he will be a bust or somehow in trouble with the law.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 28, 2024

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

The337th posted:

no one's ever happy to be mired in mediocrity

it's just comical to act like being a perpetual mediocre dark horse is the nadir of football fandom, particularly in relation to one of the absolute biggest tire fire franchises of this century

I can't imagine a Chargers fan even considering swapping the Telesco era for what the Raiders were doing in the same time frame, especially if that included the Chargers current post-Telesco era where they could easily bounce into success with no real hiccups (possible franchise curses not withstanding)

I would take the Telesco era a thousand times out of a thousand compared to what the Raiders were doing

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Penix won't even reach what Carr was at his peak, why sacrifice any extra picks for that ?

really bold hot take since I don't even have to remember it by the time the dude isn't benchwarming

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

a neat cape posted:

I would take the Telesco era a thousand times out of a thousand compared to what the Raiders were doing
I uhhh......yeah. The Gruden years were brutal. The amount of twisting trying to make sense of what they were doing was an all-timer.

I still don't think the Reggie era was all that horrible.

The337th posted:

Penix won't even reach what Carr was at his peak, why sacrifice any extra picks for that ?

really bold hot take since I don't even have to remember it by the time the dude isn't benchwarming
Maybe pre-injury Carr. I think most Raiders fans would absolutely that that era back and I think Penix can possibly reach that.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Honestly I think every AFC West team drafted pretty well. Nobody had a perfect draft, there were some dart throws, but they all hit positions of need for the most part even if the value was questionable at times. So I'm giving everyone a B+ and everyone passes the class!!!!!!

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

this conversation suckered me into looking back at past drafts and that just reinforces how pleasantly surprised I'll be if Bowers pans out as good, much less great

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I like the Chiefs draft but wish they had picked another WR in the mid rounds some point like Baker or Washington need to push Skyy and Toney as far down the depth chart as possible and we are one Hollywood ankle injury away from them starting

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

I like the Chiefs draft but wish they had picked another WR in the mid rounds some point like Baker or Washington need to push Skyy and Toney as far down the depth chart as possible and we are one Hollywood ankle injury away from them starting
I think one of them will become just ok. Not sure which one.

By just ok they might have a Byron Prigle kind of year if they try hard.

More concerned at RB where if Pacheco needs a breath, MEH is taking the field.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I think the Chargers draft was pretty good. I wanted Nabers, but getting the best OL prospect since Sewell is a nice consolation.

We've also had good results with middle linebackers named Junior

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

The337th posted:

this conversation suckered me into looking back at past drafts and that just reinforces how pleasantly surprised I'll be if Bowers pans out as good, much less great

Yeah seriously, going by the rule of having to wait 3 years to judge a draft puts us at 2021 and the top 3 rounds have given us:

Alex Leatherwood: F
Tre'von Moehrig: B-
Malcolm Koonce: C (still questionable)
Divine Deablo - C (serviceable LB with a boss name)

Henry Ruggs: F- (murderer of humans and dogs)
Damon Arnette: F (loves guns and threatening to murder people)
Lynn Bowden Jr: F
Tanner Muse: F

Clelin Ferrell: D (decent rotational player, not great for a #4 overall pick as Khalil Mack's successor)
Josh Jacobs: A
Jonathan Abram: F
Trayvon Mullen: D

Kolton Miller: A
PJ Hall: F
Brandon Parker: D+
Arden Key: D-

Gareon Conley: F
Obi Melifonwu: F
Eddie Vanderdoes: F

Karl Joseph: D
Jihad Ward: F
Shilique Calhoun: F

Amari Cooper: A
Mario Edwards: D
Clive Walford: F

Khalil Mack: A+
Derek Carr: B+
Gabe Jackson: B

DJ Hayden: D-
Menelik Watson: F
Sio Moore: F

Tony Bergstrom: F

I could keep going but this leads to even more depravity when we get deep into the Seabass/Lechler MVP years and I'm not sure I can get through that without a mental breakdown akin to BPP watching the Raiders play the Broncos.

Since 2004 the Raiders have drafted exactly 4 elite players in the first 3 rounds of the draft (Jacobs, Mack, Cooper and Miller) and you can even throw in Carr if you're feeling generous enough to include him based on 2016 and the importance of the position which would make 5. Extending it out to all 7 rounds only adds 1 more player in Maxx Crosby.

5 (or 6) elite players chosen in almost 20 years of the NFL draft out of 145 (!!!) selections is absolutely abysmal and anyone presented with this should understand why most of us are okay with Telesco usually nailing the top picks but making GBS threads himself the rest of the draft.

Can't believe I wrote that all out, it's like reliving the nightmare. Time to drink beer, eat some BBQ and pass out from mental exhaustion.

Black Sunshine fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 28, 2024

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

a neat cape posted:

We've also had good results with middle linebackers named Junior

Someone's going to gently caress you up with a bad joke but it won't be me

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

it's an added bonus that at least half the good-great picks have a sour ending to their Raiders run too, lol

The337th fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 28, 2024

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

I'm sorry friend 😭

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Oh my god. Maybe the Reggie era wasn't so good.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

LiquidFriend posted:

Oh my god. Maybe the Reggie era wasn't so good.

2014 was really propping up his era, and it was nosediving fast after that

Gruden-Mayock just did a great job escalating from there

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I’m really curious if Chiefs are signing a vet tackle or going let the young guys battle it out. I really like the Chiefs TE and DB picks. Keep taking shots at a Kelce replacement and letting Spags develop guys over a couple years. I want see stack formations with Worthy/Brown.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I could see them bringing back Smith or maybe going for Bakhtiari unless they really think Morris made a big leap. Kingley shouldn't see the field at all this year.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Black Sunshine posted:

Yeah seriously, going by the rule of having to wait 3 years to judge a draft puts us at 2021 and the top 3 rounds have given us:

Alex Leatherwood: F
Tre'von Moehrig: B-
Malcolm Koonce: C (still questionable)
Divine Deablo - C (serviceable LB with a boss name)

Henry Ruggs: F- (murderer of humans and dogs)
Damon Arnette: F (loves guns and threatening to murder people)
Lynn Bowden Jr: F
Tanner Muse: F

Clelin Ferrell: D (decent rotational player, not great for a #4 overall pick as Khalil Mack's successor)
Josh Jacobs: A
Jonathan Abram: F
Trayvon Mullen: D

Kolton Miller: A
PJ Hall: F
Brandon Parker: D+
Arden Key: D-

Gareon Conley: F
Obi Melifonwu: F
Eddie Vanderdoes: F

Karl Joseph: D
Jihad Ward: F
Shilique Calhoun: F

Amari Cooper: A
Mario Edwards: D
Clive Walford: F

Khalil Mack: A+
Derek Carr: B+
Gabe Jackson: B

DJ Hayden: D-
Menelik Watson: F
Sio Moore: F

Tony Bergstrom: F

I could keep going but this leads to even more depravity when we get deep into the Seabass/Lechler MVP years and I'm not sure I can get through that without a mental breakdown akin to BPP watching the Raiders play the Broncos.

Since 2004 the Raiders have drafted exactly 4 elite players in the first 3 rounds of the draft (Jacobs, Mack, Cooper and Miller) and you can even throw in Carr if you're feeling generous enough to include him based on 2016 and the importance of the position which would make 5. Extending it out to all 7 rounds only adds 1 more player in Maxx Crosby.

5 (or 6) elite players chosen in almost 20 years of the NFL draft out of 145 (!!!) selections is absolutely abysmal and anyone presented with this should understand why most of us are okay with Telesco usually nailing the top picks but making GBS threads himself the rest of the draft.

Can't believe I wrote that all out, it's like reliving the nightmare. Time to drink beer, eat some BBQ and pass out from mental exhaustion.

This makes me sad in real life. I'm so sorry.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Black Sunshine posted:

So this is what Kadarius Toney looks like spread out over 15 years. Yeah, Telesco's a step up from all this, and that might be the most damning thing about this whole situation.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Black Sunshine posted:

Someone's going to gently caress you up with a bad joke but it won't be me

His post playing career, were gonna have to watch him

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Black Sunshine posted:

that pigeon was awesome

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

this is funny now

https://kckingdom.com/posts/chiefs-reportedly-targeting-surprise-prospect-first-round-nfl-draft-01hw82hfxnx8

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

solarjetman posted:

If Nix doesn't work out, he'll take Payton with him, so root accordingly.

Yeah I can't wait to watch this unfold. :popcorn:

Don't worry, maybe Falcons will go for the dead money record and release Cousins early and then he'll be ready to Let's Ride.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Broncos apparently drafted a runningback with one Magic the Gathering-rear end name

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Xavier Worthy's speed is unreal. I knew he was fast but

https://twitter.com/RAanalytics/status/1726686134825345506

quote:

That #10 is Darrien Porter, who is fast.

Darien Porter, a wide receiver for Iowa State University, ran a 400-meter time of 46.99 seconds in 2019, breaking the Class 4A state record and becoming the first Iowa prep athlete to run the 400 in under 47 seconds. Porter also won the Class 4A state championship in the 400 meters in 2017 and 2019, and was the runner-up in 2018. In 2019, he was also a member of the state champion Class 4A 800 sprint medley team and won the state title in the 200 meters.

Like fast fast.

:stare:

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Been seeing a lot of clips on FB reels since I act like a boomer and am not on the Tiktok.

Words can't even begin to describe how wild the last decade as a Chiefs fan was. From the puff puff pass rush, Tyreek Hill somehow teleporting through the entire Cowboys Defense right before half-time, MNF vs Rams, 4th down vs Baltimore, ending Luck's career, 13 Seconds, vs the Bangos, this entire last playoff run and every Super Bowl win.

Absolutely incredible. Especially knowing there are still years to go with a possibility of 3 in a row.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

i am so happy for you

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Thank you. The Chargers games had a lot of thrillers too.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

Thank you. The Chargers games had a lot of thrillers too.

It seems like Chargers/Chiefs games over the last 15 years have been more fun than they should be

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chargers / Chiefs battles are about to get a lot more competitive in my opinion. Harbaugh just took my second favorite player in the draft even though he doesn't need him. I was simultaneously annoyed, relieved and...worried. They are going to protect Herbert and run all over teams. It's going to make Herbert more effective when he does pass, it's going to slow games down to make every possession more valuable. I mean, I think they should have drafted Nabers but taking Alt and turning him into one of the best right tackles immediately is weird on value but it also makes the Chargers tough to beat I admit. While I'd be pissed if I was Alt, I have to say I wouldn't be pissed if I'm a Chargers fan.

Let's see if they can keep up with the scoring, but still

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I like how the Broncos ended up at 8-9.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’m optimistic about this year. We’ve upgraded our server to Bonix.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

kiimo posted:

Chargers / Chiefs battles are about to get a lot more competitive in my opinion.

Did Herbert start doing State Farm commercials or something?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

MrLogan posted:

Did Herbert start doing State Farm commercials or something?

Subway

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

So he'll either end up the most boring human being alive that thinks bell peppers are SPICY or he might be a pedophile. Well that sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I very much love the AFC west right now. Even when teams are dogshit (broncos, raiders, chargers) it’s a fight.

Just loving this specific part of my sports life because I get to experience a chiefs dynasty and I genuinely hope that my chargers friends get the same when we are done.