Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Wilson's completion percentage looked good because the vast majority of his passes went to the flat. In the second half the Raiders adjusted, and also Dulcich was injured so they were throwing to plodding blocking tight ends. He was getting the ball out quickly in the first half but it was back to old habits in the second.

It was also a game with a very very low number of possessions. Both teams played ball control. But every team will take away the flats from here on out so Russ will have to figure out how to throw something else. It was very discouraging. It honestly makes me think that Payton doesn't trust him.

On the plus side, the Broncos didn't play a smarmy Toby Keith song right before the national anthem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

waffle enthusiast posted:

I don’t know someone can come away from yesterday’s game thinking Russ didn’t look a thousand times better than last season. More mobile, quicker decision making, protected the ball, threw for a couple of TDs.

Last season the dude just looked lost. Every game.

In the first half, I'd agree with this. Not the second.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
This bodes ill. https://www.9news.com/article/sport...0f-f019fe76438d

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Like Brady, Mahomes seems to have the ability to curse the rest of his division to mediocrity and stupidity.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Rebuild means you lower your discount rate. You stop making expensive trades for veterans (and coaches), stop drafting or trading multiple picks to fill this year's needs, and accept that you aren't one or two moves away.

The Broncos have spent the last 7 years thinking they were on the verge of the playoffs and just needed to find a stopgap quarterback or fire the coach or plug a hole in the line. All the while the foundation crumbled.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

In todays edition of “least surprising news ever”

https://twitter.com/kelbermannfl/status/1712508530140303383

What's surprising is that there's interest. Maybe it's Carolina.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

a neat cape posted:

Maybe not after that Steve Smith thing tonight

Yeah that meeting was probably before Smith's little rant but honestly it isn't that surprising. He's had similar interactions on Twitter with some former Broncos.

At this point I'd be happy with a 6-7 swap for him.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ready for that Broncos fire sale to get started. Anytime, guys.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Breaking that streak makes this season a partial success even if the Broncos go 3-14. They should have the lead singer of Anthrax sing the national anthem for every Chiefs game.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
From the stands, what surprised me about KC's offense was that Mahomes wasn't able to scramble very well. The Broncos seemed to be playing a lot of man - at least on Kelce - and normally when they do that, Mahomes just converts every 3rd and long by scrambling. I'm not sure if the opportunities were there and Mahomes just struggled to take advantage, or if the defensive line successfully contained him.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Look, he's making progress. He managed to keep the QB he inherited on the team for almost a whole season this time. And he didn't get caught filming practices of an opponent that ended up winning the game in a blowout!

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

Simplex posted:

I think it was a sloppy mistake filled game that could only be enjoyed by football degenerates and desperate fools.

Count me in. I laughed for five minutes straight.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
That 8-9 is a pretty likely outcome at this point but it's nice to see the team look competent and win close ones. In the hunt! Still having hope after Thanksgiving!

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

Redeye Flight posted:

Broncos, I must warn you that it will be quite a while before I'm done being upset about Kareem Jackson. I hope you understand.

It's like the guy wants to get suspended. It's obvious that even a borderline h2h will get massively punished and he just goes out and does it the first chance he gets. Whatever amount of malice he has, it's mixed with a lot of terrible judgment. I wish they'd just bench him.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm inclined to agree with blame nagy. It's not just the drops, there's just something Off about them this year. And the short yardage trick plays I've seen them run have all been dogshit.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
I don't know how much credit to give Payton for it - more than zero - but health is really helping the Broncos out this year. There were some early injuries but not a lot since week 4 or so; the O-line has started every game together.

But he's got them looking generally professional, and Russ is gradually getting better in the pocket over the course of the year. I don't think I yelled "THROW THE BALL" even once today. They'd be a lot better if they had a reasonably good receiver to line up across from Sutton - Jeudy is still unreliable, Mims is still mostly playing like a rookie, and the other guys are just mediocre athletes.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

Our WR1 and WR2 are Sutton’s right and left arms, respectively.

and WR3 is Perine

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Pierce has to get the job now, right?

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
That the Broncos are screwed for this year and next has been fait accompli since around week 5 of last year. They just traded too much for too little, and ended up with a roster with very few players whose output is above their market rate. If every Bronco was a free agent next year, who would get a higher salary? Surtain, Meinerz, maybe Bonitto or Mims. Jerry Jeudy being a bust didn't help either.

It seems clear that this was a financial decision, plus a desire to evaluate whether Stidham can be a caretaker starter with which to develop a rookie. The questions in my mind are: how involved was ownership? Is George Paton gone as well? Are they going to treat the cap like Payton's Saints did, or think longer term?

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Russ was interviewed today and said straight out that "they" (the Broncos, but unclear if it was Payton or Paton or a Walton or Condoleeza) threatened to bench him if he didn't restructure his deal to take out the injury guarantee, right after the win against the Chiefs: https://www.threads.net/@troy.renck/post/C1dRCdqL5qO

Thinking about this today; I can get my head around a week 17 benching after the season is mostly over but to try and pressure him to take a pay cut mid-season? After the biggest win the Broncos had in years? In a way that will likely get the NFLPA involved? I can't defend that. That's not just an rear end in a top hat move, it's an amateur move. Did they think Russell Wilson of all people was going to keep that quiet in the media? I really want to know how these decisions are being made - how much is Payton and how much is ownership.

It'll be interesting to see how hard they play against the Chargers.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think Payton gives a poo poo about Wilson’s contract and the fact that he didnt get benched immediately after makes me suspect it was Paton trying to save his job.

If he thinks he's the GM next year after Paton gets fired, he absolutely gives a poo poo. This is why it's so interesting to me, because there are so many ways it could have happened.

It's amazing to me that Paton is still in the building, given how much his big swing hurt the franchise - and how much contempt Payton clearly has for Wilson. I can't imagine Paton having any influence within the organization anymore. But I could definitely see him being asked to talk to Wilson about it, if ownership had been the one to make the decision. If ownership is making the calls, then Payton was probably told, "make him a franchise QB again or we're cutting him for financial reasons" or "either we're cutting him this year or we're sticking with him through '25 and you gotta win with him".

Wilson may not be a genius at reading defenses but he knows how to deal with the media; it's deliberate that he didn't name any names in his interview. Why wouldn't he? Meanwhile, Payton's interview yesterday had a lot of awkward pauses - he clearly wanted to say more than he did. Does that mean he doesn't like the idea? Or does he know that saying the wrong thing might get them in trouble with the CBA?

It's interesting to me because ultimately, whatever decision structure is behind all this or emerges from it, is going to be the one picking the next quarterback, figuring out how to field a roster with $85M in dead cap, and trying to develop a core with a shot at contention in 2026. Between the absurd multi-headed ownership group, the lame duck GM and the highly paid ambitious rear end in a top hat coach, there has to be some politics going on.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think the shift in defensive strategy towards taking away big plays hurts Russ, maybe as much as his athletic decline does. He's always been great at deep balls, especially improvised ones; I can't remember how many times he'd drop a moonball into Tyler Lockett's hands in Seattle. But if defenses are geared to take that away, and the only way to beat them is to throw short and intermediate passes over the middle, his game just doesn't work as well. He's scrambling better this year than last, and Sutton was making a career-highlight-reel catch every week for a while there, but it's not enough to get him where he was.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

quote:

The letter by NFLPA attorney Jeffrey Kessler was dated Nov. 4 and was sent to the Broncos and the NFL’s management council.

“It has come to our attention that the Denver Broncos recently informed Mr. Wilson and his Certified Contract Advisor that if Mr. Wilson would not renegotiate his Player Contract to relinquish certain salary guarantees, the Broncos would remove him from the starting lineup,” the NFLPA wrote in the letter, a copy of which was obtained by The Washington Post.
“If the Broncos follow-through on the Club’s threat, the Club will violate, among other things, the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Mr. Wilson’s Player Contract and New York law. And, we are particularly concerned that the Broncos still intend to commit these violations under the guise of ‘coaching decisions.’ ”

“Accordingly, we write to notify you that the NFLPA and Mr. Wilson ‘reasonably anticipate’ arbitration and/or litigation against the Broncos and the Management Council, triggering your respective obligations to preserve potentially relevant documents,” the NFLPA wrote.

Wow, neat!

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
The thread title prophecy has been fulfilled. Next time I think I'll get the Reuben sandwich.

Russ is out, Stidham ain't it, the Broncos are starting over.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
There are a lot of QB needy teams in the top 10. I expect they'll need to trade up unless they want the 5th or 6th best prospect.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

This is where I’m at. If there’s a solid QB, grab ‘em, but since we’re at least another couple of years from being Any Good™️ I think you just start to pick up folks you think can contribute in any spot. Also, I think our O-line is about to get worse sooooo…

Basically same here. I'll be cranky if they trade next year's first to steal Penix from the Falcons or whatever. They just need to think more than one year ahead, whatever they do. The lack of a second rounder hurts.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

The337th posted:

The Conspiracy knows he's onto them and this season was a false flag to provide cover while the league knew that McDaniels would sabotage any chance they had at success.

throwing fewer flags is the most devious sort of false flag, when you think about it

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
The Chiefs' receiver situation reminds me of the Nuggets' bench last May. The Nugs had a lot of really bad bench performances from guys like Zeke Nnaji and Thomas Bryant during the regular season, and the on/off stats for Jokic were absurd. Then they went to the playoffs and all of a sudden the bench minutes were good, and the announcers didn't really get it at first. It wasn't because those guys magically got better - they just stopped playing the players that couldn't hack it. The bench became 3 guys. The Chiefs' solution to Kadarius Toney dropping passes is to not throw the ball to Kadarius Toney. Hardman and MVS had what, two touches each? The results were...mixed, but it wasn't a lot of plays. In the regular season you're still hoping to develop your roster, but in the postseason? Sorry guys.

I suspect this worked better against Buffalo's backup linebackers than it will against the Ravens, but I still think we'll see Rashee Rice and a bunch of tight ends and running backs for the most part.

Congrats on having a proven coach, Ross. Watching Harbaugh interact with the rest of that organization will be interesting.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Wondering how much I need to bet on the Chiefs moneyline to psychologically cushion me from their inevitable victory parade. This Niners team is shaky.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
I am choosing to believe any and all conspiracy theories about this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

Simplex posted:

For those keeping score the Broncos traded Von Miller, Bradley Chubb, Drew Lock, Shelby Harris, Noah Fant, 2022 1st, 2022 2nd, 2022 5th, 2022 7th, 2023 1st, 2023 2nd, and a 2024 2nd. And they have Sean Payton, Nik Bonitto, Drew Sanders, Luke Wattenberg and a 2025 4th to show for it.

And the GM who did it all is still employed

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
AFC North 2024: This is the year Russ cooks again. 9-8 season, order up!

AFC West 2024: I thought about Olandis Gary last night

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kull the Conqueror posted:

We play the Steelers this year and I hope they demolish us

might be the Broncos' only non-thursday prime time game

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
The Chiefs getting Brown for $7M / 1 year, while the Browns pay $41M guaranteed over 3 years for Jerry Jeudy is wild.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
If the Broncos trade up to 4 to take JJMC as QB4, Jim Harbaugh is going to laugh and laugh

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

a neat cape posted:

Why do they have lightning bolts lmao

They're predominantly mountains.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

ChocolatePancake posted:

But they look like lightning bolts. It's what I thought of immediately too. It's not hard to make something look like mountains, and it would be cool if they did that. What they did is just dumb. The rest of the designs are good though.

It's apparently lost to the internet, but in when the Broncos changed their uniforms to blue in '97, Pat Bowlen infamously reacted to criticism by saying that they were "predominantly orange".

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

THE BRONCOS SEASON IS SAVED!

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1782476288776663309

For a completely unrelated topic, how is the 2025 QB draft class?

Sigh. Unlikely to beat out Stidham except as tank commander. I'm sure Payton thinks he can fix him, but I'd rather the camp reps go to a random UDFA.

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
The Broncos were selling Nix hard last night. They bought 3 Schefter tweets, and Payton made a long appearance on the McAfee show singing his praises, talking about how smart and accurate he is and how they didn't want to trade down and lose their chance like the Saints did with Mahomes (or so he claims). Makes it clear that this is his pick, and not GM Paton's.

So they like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
If Nix doesn't work out, he'll take Payton with him, so root accordingly.

I do like the rest of the Broncos' picks.