Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DBD still sucks, but TCM has been fun so far.

Although Johnny feels like a bad jack of all trades, he can't kill you like Bubba, he can't chase you like Hitchhiker or Sissy, he doesn't have any powerful utility like Cook, it feels like he finds your footsteps and 99% of the time it just leads to something he can't get past while the victim's long gone, hell I was playing a level 0, no points invested at all Sonny yesterday, just kept slipping between one of the small gaps on this Johnny over and over and over, nobody else ever came to do anything and he DC'd after enough of it, literally helpless in the face of my ability to turn sideways. I've seen some people suggest that maybe in the face of a redesign, he could like, put some corrugated metal or something on top of wells like a hatch, which victims would need to struggle to pull off for a second and honestly that'd be cool, but I feel like that ain't happening.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

canada jezus posted:

I haven’t played hitch or cook yet but yeah johnny is for lf mains that dont get lf. I think going stamina/bloodgathering on him might be best. Force utility

Next time you're on gas station map try out Cook, he may as well be a requirement on it to stop people from getting the actual gas station exit as easily as they do, with his padlocks making it take marginally longer.

That and while he's a slow little old man, he hits harder than people think he will, which has gotten me some fun kills.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

canada jezus posted:

That 10 stamina fills me with all kinds of dread

Edit:i also still have trouble with the maps.

Really he's not bad for learning the map on either imo, him and Hitchhiker might be the best blood collectors for grampy feeding, so you'll start noticing more and more where those drain buckets are, plus Cook is just flatly nice for even obvious stuff, slap a padlock on the front door of the family house, put one on that sorta back porch door that exits to the backyard etc. and you're already bringing some value even if you just trundle around the map the rest of the game. That and typically nobody will begrudge you if you're not getting sikk killstreaks like Leatherface would when you're the old Cook with his arthritis.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Johnny's power is also pretty hard to use imo. The few times I've played him I've found that you basically have to be standing on top of the footprints for them to spawn in, and if you aren't quick enough on the draw you have to kind of wiggle around trying to get them to spawn again in order to interact.

Yeeeah, he's definitely the most lacking family-side right now it feels like, he ends up just being kind of another body on patrol duty.

I do hope they help him out somehow though, cause he's a good looking dude and I wish I felt like playing him more.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Lurks With Wolves posted:

And I don't think they'll make perks so busted that it short circuits that whole dynamic.

Oh they already did a bit, mainly some of Connie's perks are dumb as hell and are almost always the culprit as to why you'll occasionally see like, 2 minute escapes, because she gets to skip locks existing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Relyssa posted:

You have absolutely no way of telling, for the entire match, that a survivor is slightly faster than usual and why.

It also muddies the water even more on subtle cheaters which sucks.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Holy poo poo the TCM reddit is full of shameless rear end kissers lmao

"I hope it'll only be weeks before we can turn crossplay back on" - Dev

UH IT'S TEMPORARY GUYS, JUST PLAY SOMETHING ELSE

WOW EVERYONE'S SO ENTITLED, THEY ONLY TEMPORARILY CUT A MAJOR FEATURE

IT'S JUST T E M P O R A R Y

To every single valid complaint, along with a bunch of clowns really dying on this "Every PC player was a cheater" hill.

Very cool, I don't think I've seen an entire platform be tacitly villainized this hard in a long while.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 6, 2023

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I'm sure they'll nerfbat them down into some useless niche like usual soon enough.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

For a long while pretty much any given release was waiting to see how a new killer performs on PTB, then getting prepared for baffling nerfs they'd get when it goes live.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

curiousTerminal posted:

That's why Nemmy's only got 3 perk slots because the first one always has Discordance - it's the only loud noise that the zombies will investigate at any distance for some reason. It keeps them at least SOMEWHAT near the objective you need them to do.

How did they do this :psyduck:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

i must compose posted:

To combat that there's a perk called rubber boots which allows you to walk on the electrified grid. Very satisfying when they are not aware of it. Or you could just farm xp until they leave.

Yep, I just start forcefeeding gramps.

Although there's been a few times where I just barely caught someone with Leatherface's heavy attack who was trying to be a shitter at the exit and it was the greatest feeling in the game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

hyphz posted:

Reminds me of the old Assassin’s Creed multiplayer with the reverse Turing test. I ducked into a bush to avoid my pursuer, and pushed someone out in the process. Then realised the person I pushed out was actually my target. So my character jumped into the bush, shoved someone out, then immediately popped up again to stab them in the back and drag them back into the bush.

What happened to that genre? Was it found to be completely broken? I’m surprised nobody ran with it.

AC multiplayer had some of the funniest stuff I've seen in regards to the kind of bumbling and gigabrain poo poo you could do to people in it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Can you really even play TCM effectively without Leatherface? Without his ability to break loops, and the fact that he's the primary threat in the early game, it seems like there was a very good reason he was hard locked in.

As someone who's played a ton, it's gonna suck real bad when the already limited movement characters (Johnny, Cook) get even more limited via Leatherface not being around to destroy barricades, perma-block crawl spaces and stuff.

I feel like at some point they're gonna have to roll that one back or make another change once people realize "Oh, they can just back and forth stall me out forever" at even more places than usual and start yelling.

Thank fuckin god for the gas station changes though, especially combined with no victim powers for a minute, because if a Connie could reach the gas station at any point she was pretty much getting a free escape and that exit getting opened made the rest of the match all but require someone play constant door duty. (Depending on family characters and all that to a degree)

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 19, 2023

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Fuckin lol, apparently no LF does also mean there's just nobody in the basement with victims until grandpa wakes up, this is getting so stupid sounding.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Sokani posted:

? Either grandpa wakes up in the first 8 seconds or you wake him up with the blood buckets you gathered on the way to the basement doors. Altars being indestructible is interesting but I don't really see other problems.

Mostly what I'm thinking is that victims are gonna be able to load up on items even more undisturbed right at the start, which could suck pretty bad.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

They should be looking more at why people don't find Leatherface engaging.

Really one thing was that a whole bunch of people likely got scared off playing LF from back when people could still be real pricks with door/chain stuns, then never cared to try him again even though they did something about that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The thing for DBD mobile is that like, netease makes DBD mobile, but they also make Identity V, which if you're gonna play an asymmetrical mobile game has a lot more weird modes and wild stuff.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Oh so that's why they haven't gotten nuked with a lawsuit for plagiarism! They make both game!

Yep! BHVR came to them because they made Identity V first and it was/is doing pretty good for itself, so then two-three years after IDV, DBD mobile was made with a partnership.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

Remarkably smart on their part, honestly. Very astute of BHVR to understand that IDV doesn't pose any material threat to them when DBD is way more focused on its own formula and licensed horror stuff, so they kind of appeal to different niches (especially since IDV is mobile only right?). Especially at this stage, DBD seems "too big to fail" with how many tie-ins it has and diehards, so there's no need to discourage the competition - even better to work with them outright so you can use their good ideas.

IDV is practically mobile only, there IS a PC client and it used to be allowed to play with the mobile players too, but then their main market got mad about it and they cut it off, so it's kind of a wasteland.

But IDV still eats real good cause they don't need movie licenses, they get anime licenses and make hot guy skins and let the fujoshi money roll in lol

They even did Danganronpa skins and you better believe that sold like hotcakes

(If you've never seen IDV, the characters are doll/puppet aesthetic, looks neat most times)

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 20, 2023

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

curiousTerminal posted:

(like that widowmaker main in the first year of overwatch who got 30+ minute queues because so many people blocked them for being good at snipers)

Just because I like to talk about that weirdly specific thing: To be fair that was super valid imo, for a portion of OW's early life she could 1 charged body shot kill a handful of the cast, 100 to 0, and kill another handful of it with just 1 immediate follow-up shot anywhere all without having to unscope, that character was reviled for a while for a reason, think TF2's fairly carefully designed sniper, if they'd also given him an assault rifle and grappling hook and his sniper rifle charged a little quicker just cause.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 21, 2023

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Last I heard, Singularity is still kinda too easy to screw over when they do anything other than just play a boring all chase game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

In TCM news, lmao they nerfed Johnny, his ability, attack speed and attack range all got hit.

"Now his swinging run speed matches his not-sprinting speed. He is the only family member that WALKS when not sprinting."

They really nerfed the guy who was only very good at mauling people when they had no way to lose him (Out in the open without a crawlspace, gap etc.) and now he can't even do that as well.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

But why, Johnny already loving sucked?

When people wanted TCM to be more like DBD, this is not what they meant!

Basically he was swinging faster and getting tiny speed boosts that he wasn't meant to be getting, by swiping at people while chasing them, so instead of actually thinking "Well, this is all he's good at anyway" and just tweaking it some, they made it to where his lunging attacks now more or less grind his momentum to a halt after, made his stamina costs worse, then they made his tracking ability suck even more just for good measure. I see like a pretty hard divide in people's comments on it elsewhere too, where lotta victims are more or less circlejerking over how big scary Johnny deserved it, while anyone that played him is going "Wow this sucks pretty bad, why" and just, man, he was already getting an innate nerf just by virtue of Leatherface not HAVING to exist anymore, I don't know why they beat him over the head along with it.

Like if I was gonna go on a conspiracy bent, next to Leatherface, Johnny was often considered the next rung on the 'Killer' side for family, so I'd almost wonder if they stomped him out just to incentivize picking LF more instead.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 29, 2023

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

TheWorldsaStage posted:

People on reddit posted a twitch video of a dev saying in the past the increased lunge speed was on purpose

:lmao:

Jesus so Johnny really did just get buried because people whined I guess.

Kwolok posted:

The TCM sub has some of the most entitled survivor mains I've ever seen in asym history.

I saw some people going absolutely apeshit over the "1m without victim powers" thing too and like, let's be real that was aimed at Connie primarily, because more and more people were getting video evidence of her just bolting out of gas station games for free almost before anyone had a chance of responding.

It just kinda blows me away because like, I play family way more than victim, but in what victim matches I do have, I've watched more than a few Johnnys eventually ragequit because I just kept slipping back and forth through a gap and nobody came to help him, the dude was mostly helpless if he didn't get backup or catch you out of place.

Also they didn't even think to boost the priority of the new map, so a ton of lobbies are stuck in purgatory because people are hopping only looking for the new map.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 30, 2023

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also when does my boy get in the game, it's all I want out of TCM anymore, Bill Moseley would probly be totally down to voice him too.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I really wish they'd just get rid of whoever keeps deciding that some killers should only be fun or even very good if you put an iri addon on them.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Like if they're gonna keep doing that, let me just put the killer on a hard cooldown timer after I'm out of The Item That Makes Them Worth Playing until a new one auto-generates itself or something, cause I'm just gonna be waiting until I get another anyway lol

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

rydiafan posted:

Being eliminated from the game with no warning or counterplay is not "fun and unique".

I like it, it's fun to watch Michael knife people, even if it's me.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I always liked getting Mori'd, and Michael and Pig jumsparing the poo poo out of me. Idk what it is but DbD, Friday, TCS, I just like the slasher horror aspect more than anything.

Exactly, people get all mad about being killed in a game with all the horror movie dudes we have now and I'm always just like hell yeah that was cool.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Yeah the continued bumping up of voiced killers has done a lot for the feel, like if they'd added Chucky but no Brad Dourif (And Jennifer Tilly) dialogue I'd be like what's the fuckin point.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

idontpost69 posted:

I would really like to see a more goodguy biased alternate audio/outfit.

Dammit, I was gonna say you'll get the reboot version, but then remembered he's a 'Buddi'

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I thought Oni for a minute because of his mace lol

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

rydiafan posted:

I was thinking Wraith, but isn't he one of the free basic killers?

That's what tripped me up too, cause yeah Trapper/Hillbilly/Wraith is like the OG trio.

But then I wouldn't put it past BHVR finding a way.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Hearthstone was a good study in how to be as obnoxious as possible to another person with 7 generic emotes and a 2 minute timer. Exact same thing happened with the emotes!

WELL MET

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Sadly the VA isn't happy about it at all.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Honestly if they didn't know at all what they were gonna do with the character, then I kinda get it, cause a bunch of people are being extremely awful with the skins.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

For as much as I'd usually say "Make all cosmetics mix and matchable" they probably should've thought for more than a second about letting people put the 'male' head on the cheerleader body.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think the old lady one looks fine but I had some extreme 'danger sense' stuff going on with the cheerleader one. And I literally only see people using the top with the male head in every match I played the past two days against them, so like, yeah people are being purposefully mega lovely.

Yeeeep exactly that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Lurks With Wolves posted:

My worry now is that there won't be able to put the transphobic genie back in the bottle. That the transphobic harassment wouldn't have started if they put proper limitations in place initially, but now that the transphobia is here they're just going to go "okay, the full cheerleader skin is what we use for hating trans women" and so on until the whole character is just hosed. And I just hate all of it.

If they actually want to put their money where their mouth is on being supportive, they're gonna have to do something direct about it and quick, because once the lovely parts of a community latch onto something no amount of "We had someone in the office type up a statement saying we don't agree with the way this is being used!" is going to shake them off it, they're not going to respond to any appeals to humanity because there's nothing good or any humanity left in those fuckers from the start, they have to be counteracted and not just tut-tut'd.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

Also a warning to think very carefully before making one video game the center of your career. Pivoting can be extremely risky even for a person pretty darn charismatic like Otz.

Exactly that, until you have enough of your own community built that you feel confident branching out, being a specific game-centric streamer means you're stuck with it even if you're hating it and it's rough to watch.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 20, 2024

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

So did they just completely revert the Twins rework they spent 2 years working on?

Yes, yes they did.

Actual cursed character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What makes me the saddest is that before it got kneecapped Friday The 13th was settling on a pretty respectable playerbase, even if new content had just been slow to come out it probably still would've sat doing fine, but it got bad news after bad news.