Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

CuddleCryptid posted:

It just had enough gaps in the design that playing it outside of a group (for survivor) was frustrating and playing it as killer against a group or good solo survivors was maddening

Which leads us to a second problem that, judging by thread chatter, both Evil Dead and Ghostbusters had: they both had advancement schemes where a new player cannot play with an experienced player and actually have a decent time. Evil Dead has a big meaty skill tree for every character that give you major upgrades for the core gameplay, and if someone with a fully unlocked skill tree is matched against someone who just started the person with the skill tree is going to win on raw numbers. Ghostbusters' balance was fun at the start, but the busters get upgrades and the ghosts don't so the match balance got worse immediately. Games in this genre already have a massive skill difference between new and experienced players. This just makes the problem so much worse.

Of course, there's two reasons I think DBD isn't hit as hard by this. One, advancement in DBD just isn't that deep. Once you have four good-enough perks at tier 3, any advancement from there on that character is basically just giving you a wider variety of potential builds. Even as a new player, you can get a decent starter build going after like four games if you're playing a character with decent starting perks and you're basically as good mechanically as any other player. Two, the gameplay itself has a very simple win/lose state. It's not a big L4D-style team shooter where you're slowly bleeding resources and if your skills give you too many resources your opponent can't interact with. You just run in a circle and when one side gets hit twice they lose. The perks (barring a few huge balance gently caress-ups like the period where Dead Hard may as well have been a third injury state) are never so important that the core gameplay loop breaks. Even if a new player goes against a max-rank opponent, they can technically still play the game without it being invalidated entirely.

(While I haven't looked too closely at TCM, I'm pretty confident it will fall closer to DBD than Evil Dead here. The core gameplay seems like it's built on "survivors run away from killers, and if they get cornered they just die", and I don't think they'll make perks so busted that it short circuits that whole dynamic.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Nessus posted:

It's all just ways that those little shits get more slippery so they can put themselves into situations where they can spam the CTRL key

MFT is pretty broken because it means they get a permanent and consequential speed buff while running, and many of these people have been training in the gravity chamber to be able to perfectly run loops. I believe you can also stack various other things with it, leading to survivors you just cannot catch?

I kind of agree with Otzdarva's take on the speed half of Made For This. Namely, that if it didn't stack it'd be basically fine if you knew it was there, but the problem is that a 3% speed increase is nearly impossible to notice until you've played through an entire match against them and it's just annoying to constantly wonder if you need to play around someone being slightly faster or not. If they made it not stack with Hope and just gave killers an icon to show them a person they're chasing has MFT, that half of it would probably be fine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVIEc7sE-20

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Also... there aren't that many sources of Haste for killers that would have the same problem as Made For This. Look at the relevant wiki page. Sure, there's stuff like Play With Your Food and Machine Learning that's a big enough deal to be notable, but killer speed changes are pretty universally either part of their power or a basic "do a thing that slows you down, then get a speed boost to catch up". Sometimes there's also "make a slow killer into a normal speed killer with this add-on". The point is, almost all of them have clear tells and they're generally big enough to be easily noticed after it triggers the first time if a survivor is paying attention to how fast the killer is moving.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

hyphz posted:

Reminds me of the old Assassin’s Creed multiplayer with the reverse Turing test. I ducked into a bush to avoid my pursuer, and pushed someone out in the process. Then realised the person I pushed out was actually my target. So my character jumped into the bush, shoved someone out, then immediately popped up again to stab them in the back and drag them back into the bush.

What happened to that genre? Was it found to be completely broken? I’m surprised nobody ran with it.

AAA games stopped investing in multiplayer that way, but we're at a point where smaller studios are putting out games like Deceive Inc to fill the niche.

EDIT: I completely forgot what thread I'm in. hyphz can post in forums besides TG, including threads where I really don't need to relink Deceive Inc because it's already linked in the extended OP. (Also, Cryptid's post has a better explanation.)

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 12, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least having more traps spawn on the map indirectly prevents you from ending up with all your traps spawning in inconvenient spots.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Doomykins posted:

MFT change isn't a Legion nerf, Legion puts you in deep wounds and then immediately leaves to go hit the other 3 people on their radar. I guess it'll be 3% harder to get the sacred fifth hit.

It also makes it harder to do the "hit someone in Feral Frenzy, leave Feral Frenzy because you can't realistically chase another person down, get a second hit" thing. You know, if you're facing someone who's using Made For This, which they'd only use if they plan on taking advantage of the endurance while healing, because who's going to run this just to make it easier to safely recover from Deep Wounds and draw out the post-endurance hit portion of a chase?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

MikeNCR posted:

Yeah, 100% feels like it'll be overbuffed, but easy to tweak. They could probably just delete main event and leave everything else and he'd still be solid.

I'm sure they're going to give Main Event something, because it's may as well not be a mechanic at this point. But there's no way they give him this much in the final pass.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is there anyone over the age of, I dunno, 11 that gives a poo poo about fnaf? I’m so tired of seeing people want that poo poo in the game plus the creator’s a giant chud.

I don’t know how Chucky would work I’m the current game. You’d almost have to make him bigger than he actually is in the movies.

FNAF came out nine years ago. The children who had it as their first foundational horror experience are now twentysomethings, and the creator being a conservative shithead only forced the people who would have been normal about it out of the fandom.

(Also it's a fandom completely built on building complete ARG plots out of nothing, so of course this keeps happening. They were literally trained to assume anything related to the property would be like this.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Besides, Terrifier is clearly on the level of the Shudder tie-in skins and not someone like Halloween or Scream. I can see Art being a Trapper skin or something, but not carrying an entire patch.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

CHOAM posted:

I was honestly a massive unbeliever of chucky being added purely cause I had no idea how he'd even work. So now I am curious how he actually plays and if he's gonna be a huge mixup in terms of how a lot of things are played around

One screenshot makes it look like you play him from third person, which is either just screenshot framing to make the game look cool or a clever way to put the camera at Hag height when the killer only goes up to someone's knees. (Honestly, part of why I'm assuming the latter is because the gen kick animation that's also in the screenshots seems like the worst thing to do in first person.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

To be fair, the PTB is in an hour. It's not exactly a big leak.

Also, I haven't watched them either, but I want to say that the Chucky series is at minimum interesting to watch a reasonably consistent creative team weave through a bunch of different horror-comedy subgenres over the years. Also that the TV series is unironically good.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Medullah posted:

I only watched the first 3 Child's Play movies, 1 is and remains a classic, 2 is still pretty good, 3 is meh. After that it got kinda nutty with the cults and Tiffany and all that and I lost interest.

The Chucky series is really good, the first season was pretty similar in tone to the original movie, but they've moved more into comedy with S2 and S3, with all the cult characters coming into play.

3 is the one they rushed out in nine months, so at minimum it's the creative nadir of the series. Say what you will about 4+, but they have creativity.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

I could see Friends 'Til The End getting nerfed if it snowballs too hard, but Hex: Two Can Play and Batteries Included are just counter perks for things annoying survivor squads do. They don't do enough in normal play to do much, they're just something you slap on if you're feeling salty. You know, like Lightborn.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I mean some streamers were also saying the same thing about the Xenomorph, then people played against it more than twice and it turned out that Xeno was nowhere near the top of the killers.

The thing is that Xenomorph seemed broken in a slightly overtuned projectile character way, and we should have known it was recency bias because the other projectile-focused characters aren't that broken in loops. Chuckie seems broken in the "if his power's up, he can suddenly lunge around the entire loop to hit you and even if he misses he's still in a much better place to continue the chase" way that the really busted characters are.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Mr. Locke posted:

They hit him in area that already MADE him bad- making damage stick. They added two more required hits and shaved a third of the time before damage starts to fall off- doesn't matter how much better you are at getting more knives to land unless you're getting ENOUGH knives to land, and that is so much harder to do before falloff starts- just about any decent high obstacle or jungle gym anymore is enough to start the falloff now, it feels like. It's a good thing Trickster got the speed update because now he feels much more like an M1 killer with a power to take advantage of large open spaces.

He probably feels stronger if people aren't specifically playing against his knives but the new changes make his knives much easier to play around if you're actually trying.

If his knife damage didn't fall off so fast, I could see the current Trickster working as an M1 killer with a zoning tool? You plink away with knives as you try to get around a loop, and either that makes the survivor play sloppily enough that you can walk into them or it lasts long enough for you to pop your finale and hose them down. But it does fall off fast, so I just can't see a time you would actually use these knives as-is. They need to buff something.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

I really hope that this is a DBD supermassive game and not a Supermassive DBD chapter. Supermassive has some good characters but an up close CYOA using all the batshit lore of DBD would be awesome.

I believe this was initially announced as the latter. Which is probably for the best, since Until Dawn hasn't been a hot property in a while and wendigo is going from a rare woods monster to an Algonquian myth it's kind of disrespectful to use willy nilly in more and more social circles.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

BitBasher posted:

Not when console players exist that can't physically add a crosshair via a simple overlay. Especially after devs condone doing it. It's basically gently caress console players.

Which would be fine of there was con cross play, but there is.

Real talk: my current theory is that the upcoming Huntress changes are mostly just add-on changes, and part of that will be a brown add-on that gives you a basic cross hair. And thus we can finally come to an official conclusion: cross hairs are technically undetectable cheating, but cheating to give yourself a bonus brown tutorial add-on and who gives a gently caress.

(Well, that or a random dev made a joke and didn't expect everyone to start frothing at the mouth about cross hairs.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Medullah posted:

I don't think it's really them, it's more likely that Sony and Microsoft don't want you playing with content you didn't buy on their platform. I think that's the point of that question "We can't do cross progression because of archaic contracts, but if we implemented it this way would you still want it"

For that matter, it could just be that the dlc system wasn't designed to work across consoles and updating it would require ripping out a lot of fundamental code. You know, like how crossplay is pretty common in fighting games now because they're designed around it initially but Killer Instinct can't have full crossplay because the Xbox Live code it was built on fundamentally can't work with Steam.

There's a lot of reasons for this specifically to be out of Behavior's hands, is the point.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Umbreon posted:

Does lullaby loudness matter anymore? Survivors now have the heartbeat terror radius sensing feature and pretty much every streamer I watch turns it on.

E: Oh right I forgot, lullaby is not terror radius. Serves me right for never using the feature lol

If I remember correctly, Onryu has the specific problem where her lullaby is loud in a way where if you're just listening to it in the distance it's easy to miss or think you hear it when it's not there because it's just static, but when you have subtitles on you get QUIET STATIC as soon as she gets anywhere near you and it blows up the whole point of the character.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

My gut reaction is that this isn't an intentional pay-to-win skin, but an artist going "well, this is a modern gun, I need to give it a sight so it looks right" and not having a note about how sights can never be better than this example gun for gameplay reasons is still a bad look for them.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Relyssa posted:

e2: I don't understand why Huntress is getting buffed. She was fine where she was, now she's going to be everywhere and even easier to hook camp with her.

There's two main reasons I can think of.

1) Her kill rates were surprisingly low in the stats they showed off last week. Even when you account for her being a killer all the new players try, it's kind of weird.

2) She's a character everyone has and everyone enjoys, and you want to give characters like that a little walking around money every now and then because everyone is going to enjoy it.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Medullah posted:

Lore is ridiculously long

I know it's basically the lore for every crossover killer, but I honestly enjoy that the lore for this killer is "whoops, the Entity grabbed a creepypasta instead of a vaguely tormented murderer".

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Kwolok posted:

Yeah its super disjointed and doens't really fit any theme. He is a grotesque psuedo-human carrying a fire axe, who can shoot out a weird fog from his trunk snoot that weakens survivors unless they look at him and he can also leave behind copies of himself randomly to teleport to?

Its weird and dumb imo

The way I see it, the Unknown's flavor makes sense on a meta level because they make no sense in-universe. Why is the Unknown filled with purple hallucination gas and why does it have weird teleportation phantoms? The same reason Slenderman constantly emits electromagnetic static and teleports: because the OP thought it was a cool/weird visual and it helps explain why the only pictures available look like bad photoshops. I'd even say the Unknown is more coherent in-universe than its creepypasta peers, if only because you can explain the teleportation by the viewer inhaling too much weird gas to tell where it is and what's just a hallucination.

Is it still incoherent? ... Well, yeah, but welcome to modern internet horror. The design works for me, but I get it.

Also, on the subject of those spoiled leaks: If the Castlevania crossover is happening, I'm excited for it because that probably means Dracula and that's always cool. But as a D&D nerd, I have zero interest in Vecna showing up. One, he's the God of Secrets, he has better poo poo to do than chase twentysomethings around a pile of scrap. Two, he's an undead wizard-god, he doesn't even have a cool iconic weapon/fighting style to chase people with. His iconic items are the body parts he got chopped off when his lieutenant betrayed him. What makes him cool does not come through on DBD's scale, and the fact that it's a possibility makes me doubt this leak in the first place.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Wait but loving why? The Pig's traps were already a non-issue unless they were running that very specific addon combo and now they're even more useless.

Well, the most likely explanation for why Pig's kill rate was so high when they released stats a few weeks ago is that the reverse bear traps absolutely murder players in the bottom 50% of MMR who are never going to be invested enough to look up what killer powers do or post about the game on forums where the rest of us can see them. So I can see them deciding to nerf them when they buff her stealth so she doesn't devour stupid newbies whole.

Also, in my opinion the weird tentacle orifice stuff almost gels with rest of the Unknown's look, but it doesn't quite get there. Maybe if it was a bit more floppy in motion? I don't know, I'm not an artist. A bit more refinement could fix that, though, so hopefully some cosmetics will make it click.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Relyssa posted:

Frank is just her beard. :colbert:

I want to believe there's a world where the four of them never killed a guy and instead just smoked weed and created a lovely polycule in rural Canada.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Relyssa posted:

I still highly dispute Pig being "mega buffed" with these changes. They help, sure, but it's not going to rocket her up the tier lists or anything. Semi-basekit combat straps and medical file were extremely necessary since the former was basically required to make the crouch not take an eternity. Ambush changes are good but not huge. She's still very susceptible to pre-dropped pallets, and with the box aura removal a lot of the really degenerate playstyles are nowhere near as easy to pull off.

I may be biased as a diehard Amanda lover but these are all solid changes at best. Looking forward to it.

On one hand, as previously discussed in the thread, I can see how they'd think the stealth changes would be a really big buff for low-rank Pigs without a corresponding nerf. You know, the ranks where no one really understands how reverse bear traps work in the first place.

On the other hand, I can see this change both being a bigger nerf to high-rank Pigs than they thought and low-rank survivors playing against Pig not realizing there was a nerf in the first place. If I'm right about that, they'd be making her feel worse in high-level play while making her not feel that much better in low tiers despite her kill rates going down. So reverting some of the nerfs is probably for the best?

(I mean, the stealth buffs are great either way, but they're kind of just bringing her up to the baseline you want stealth killers to be at. If her traps don't feel good too, why aren't you playing any of the other stealth killers?)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I don't think the skins are intentionally transphobic, but jesus loving christ, devs. How can you be this loving dense and tone-deaf ITYOOL 2024?

Like... I'm trans and also dense enough to not get why the Unknown's cosmetics could get super transphobic (as opposed to the potential baseline transphobia of "gross woman-husk people could compare to a man") until someone actually mentioned mixing cosmetic pieces, so I get why people at Behavior missed it. But also... you're a loving company, pay someone to think about this kind of thing. It isn't actually hard.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

My worry now is that there won't be able to put the transphobic genie back in the bottle. That the transphobic harassment wouldn't have started if they put proper limitations in place initially, but now that the transphobia is here they're just going to go "okay, the full cheerleader skin is what we use for hating trans women" and so on until the whole character is just hosed. And I just hate all of it.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

The Blighted Legion skin is body horror, but it isn't immediately transphobic. You could try using it to be crypto-transphobic about it, but it'd be like using the Spirit to show how racist you are because she's vaguely associated with killing Adam because they're from the same chapter. No one is going to get it that isn't also a crypto-shithead, so it doesn't work if you're actively trying to harass people.

(Personally, I was worried about people just repeating the previous Leatherface tactics with his crossdressing skins. That's the kind of bluntness I expect from this kind of thing.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Doomykins posted:

Gamers have gotten significantly more toxic and lovely over the last two decades with the ability to harass and whine in real time to devs 24/7 via social media

but

It's still unmistakable when the devs look you in the eye and say "of course we playtested this" and you run into basic use issues. :v: ... Honestly, I want to assume they really did playtest it well so how does something like "Twins are stronger than Nurse with mid-level Victor use" get through? Are we back to the halcyon days of one of the lead developers and killer players being a tunneling, slugging NOED-addict? Just signing off on a balance change with a half-lidded stare and "gently caress 'em" when asked about survivors and killer balance.

At least BHVR are one of those devs that actually use their PTB to make adjustments instead of purely for marketing.

At the end of the day, I'd be happy if they just said "hey, this is going to come in hot, we just need to get this is front of people so we have a better idea of how to best dial it back" before this launched. Because as everyone else already said, this is blatantly coming in so hot, the only way any of this is acceptable is if they had to turn this build in ten minutes before the PTB went live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Umbreon posted:

Huh, I was surprised to see Pacific drive on that player survey. I love that game but not sure why they would want to know about players interested in it unless we're getting a survivor driving a car or something lol

I wouldn't call it competition, but I can imagine overlap between people who really dig Pacific Drive's aesthetic and people who enjoy DBD's lore. I can see why they'd care about whether or not people cared about it.