Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

CuddleCryptid posted:

More like Dead Game By Daylight once [insert game title in post] comes out
Lmao

Getting in on ground floor! I'm a Nurse Main and you can too! Join the legions of Broken OP Character Totally Ruining This Game (not really, not at my level nor yours)

Tiny Myers' Patented Nurse Tips posted:

1. Wear Plaid Flannel addon to start (shows blink location)
  2. Only use your first blink to traverse the map, don't waste the second
  3. try to get line of sight on someone BEFORE you blink
  4. Use first blink to get close, second blink to course correct to their location
  5. You can aim at the ground to adjust your distance (be careful on the 2nd floor or above the basement lol)
  6. You can practice with bots in custom games now but bots can be weirdly psychic and better than players sometimes so don't be demoralized
  7. If you have a friend to practice with in a custom game, even better! Have them practice things like turning mid blink and running at you (the answer to this behavior is a short blink or aiming at the ground to modulate your distance btw)
  8. When trying to go "through" something (obstacles, walls, floors), especially when you're going vertical, hold down longer than you think you'll need to
  9. it can help to try and teleport ahead of someone
  10. Play a lot of survivor to get an idea of where people are likely to go
  11. Expect to make mistakes! Laugh at them!
  12. Your blink attack isn't a basic attack anymore so no more Exposed perks or Sloppy Butcher etc... unless you're using Agitation and people get cocky :getin:
  13. Aura perks aura perks aura perks

My current favorite build is Awakened Awareness+Agitation+Iron Grasp+Nowhere to Hide. Not because it's amazing, but because it's really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Medullah posted:

Swap Nowhere to Hide for Starstruck. Be a mobile assassin with a backpack.

And I actually recommend against using Plaid Flannel unless maybe it's your first or second match. It builds bad habits and makes it hard to feel where you're going to go.
Meh, Starstruck gives them too much warning for what I'm up to. If you don't have Starstruck on then you get a ton of people body blocking like "oh, just one more hit and they'll wiggle out! Just one more hit! Just one more-" then you effortlessly hook the person you're carrying and, if the other person didn't already get themselves downed in manic desperation, they're a short distance away out of position and injured. It's better for comedy value, and you can often get multiple people injured with a single carry.

Nowhere To Hide just gets way too much value + the aura moves with you, so you can kick a gen then blink with it. It's ideal for catching those survivors who are crawling around like rats once they're on death hook.

I've heard the Flannel advice and I disagree with it, personally. I used it for a month or two and I wouldn't say it gave me bad habits or made it hard to feel where I'm going to go, quite the opposite. It gives a really invaluable visual of how janky the blink can be and how navigating through geometry works in practice, which you probably aren't going to fully absorb in just a couple of matches with how much else you'll be focusing on.

Nikumatic posted:

play legion do crimes
:hai: playing legion is like this

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

It's sad because I heard at so many points that the biggest problem with that game was how survivor-sided it was (or that people were afraid it would be). And I guess they just didn't do anything about that? Or not enough? I didn't really keep up with VHS.

I wonder if part of it was because they didn't know how to do it without significant mechanical overhauls, kind of like how DBD is still floundering with anti-tunneling after 7 years because it's a huge problem with the core game design. You have to be really loving careful with that when it comes to asymmetrical titles, I guess.

Didn't Evil Dead have a lot of problems with the killer role too? Like survivors abusing the poo poo out of iframes? At least with something like that you can try and tweak the numbers.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Before flashlights were killswitched, I discovered something loving hysterical about that exploit.

I was playing survivor and a Mikaela demonstrated the exploit for me by shining her flashlight and clipping into a locker. I shook my head very aggressively at her like "no, stop that". The killer happened to come down, noticed me shaking my head at the locker, and paused. I pointed at it. He opened the locker, saw Mikaela standing there inside (but impervious to attack or being pulled out due to the exploit), looked at me, then nodded like "ah, yeah".

Then, I tried getting in the locker myself - the normal way, not the exploit way.

Friends, my survivor hitbox collided with Mikaela's and SHOVED HER rear end CLEAN OUT OF THE LOCKER. Straight up displaced her out of it. I laughed so hard watching her run off with the killer on her tail. :allears:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Orv posted:

Regrettably in AC MPs particular case, people found out that sprinting madly from target to target and assassinating them as openly as possible would always outstrip the bonuses for stealth kills, not getting caught and all that. That was the case for all three games with MP and while the final one did actually kind of try to start changing that design, the next game was Unity so the competitive Hitman MP was just dropped.

I've actually put a decent amount of hours into Deceive Inc. and it has some similar problems. It's definitely the closest thing to the "pretend to be an NPC" thing you're all describing (I've never seen the original AC multiplayer so I just assume), aside from Spy Party, which is a more intimate one-on-one experience (and extremely funny).

I want to preface all of this by saying Deceive Inc loving rules, it's really fun and if you think you'd enjoy it at all you should really try it and I'm not just saying that because the game desperately needs a larger playerbase. It's not asymmetrical, but it got popular with some DBD streamers so it has some overlap in community (don't worry, not in the "toxic dicks" way, just the "you'll occasionally see a username like 'Hex: Simp' in lobbies" way). It has really cool design ideas, amazing and memorable characters, a largely-friendly community, one of the best microtransaction systems I've ever seen (cosmetic-only battlepass that never goes away, you can ALWAYS go back and get items from previous seasons with zero FOMO - and ALL of the characters can be bought with extremely trivial amounts of freemoney), and a robust dev team that is constantly working to fix current complaints.

For example, they came out with a nerf to an item that was overperforming compared to other items. The community immediately was upset because it wasn't that it was too strong, but the other items were kind of weak - and it was also an item that allows you to stealth better, so it was popular with players who love the stealth elements, people who are underconfident in their gunplay, and, especially, newbies. They reverted it within 24 hours and said "sorry about that guys, we didn't understand how much certain subsets of players relied on this item, so instead we'll work to make the other items better so they're more popular and equally powerful choices!". And... it was a good decision.

They also didn't nerf a character who was notably oppressive during a round of nerfs/buffs for other characters, and there was a player outcry. Within 24 hours they posted a thorough, common-sense explanation saying "this character was weak as gently caress for a while so we were hesitant to nerf her again so soon after her buff, for fear she'd become useless. But clearly there is an immediate need to do something, so we're going to make some minor changes to address the biggest pain points people are mentioning". And it was a good loving decision!

The dev team, despite being much smaller, is consistently communicative, kind, and reasonable in a way that makes DBD's dev team look like loving clowns. (These were legitimate problems, by the way, they weren't like capitulating to whiny gamers.)

Now, onto the problems.

IMO the primary problem right now is that the playerbase is small enough that matchmaking, while present, doesn't work well. You regularly get games where level 1s are put in with level 400s, and the level 400s are typically people who are good enough at shooters exploiting characters with high enough damage (e.g. a sniper) to just delete you as soon as they figure out you're there by clicking your head a couple times. They will avoid stealth and bunnyhop through the level on purpose because they want people to try and engage them so they can turn around and delete them. You have a lot of people, streamers especially, treating it like a comp shooter.

So, if you're someone who isn't a comp shooter addict and came here for, you know, the stealth gameplay, it can be loving frustrating dying to one of these types in 2 seconds after 5 minutes of stealthing around, and then spectating other players in the lobby trying to take the game seriously like yourself, knowing they are all also going to get deleted by this person completely ignoring half of the game's mechanics so they can add another notch to their 300 win streak for their 2 viewers on Twitch. And unfortunately, you will run into them. Frequently.

I don't know if it's content creator brain or DBD brain or what, but there are definitely people seeking to exploit the mechanics as well as they can to completely kill what makes the game unique, which is really disheartening because I'm sure it's been the cause of a lot of normal players losing interest. I don't really know what possesses the non-content creators to put 1000 hours into completely sucking the joy out of a cool game for the sake of Ws until it dies, but they exist too.

BUT, if you can get a lobby of players who AREN'T like that (or the level 400(s) get their heads taken off somehow, which does happen), the game is loving incredible and has some really inimitable moments and silliness. For example, there is an item that lets you turn into a prop, so you can do things like run away from someone and turn into a potted plant and hope they don't notice! Yes, it has a built-in Prop Hunt feature that you can just use to your heart's content!

And, like I said, the devs are actively trying to rebalance the game. The NPCs have SUPER convincing player-like behaviors sometimes, so it's harder than ever to pick people out of stealth. They're constantly rebalancing characters and core mechanics, as aforementioned. They've made it increasingly punishing to ignore the game's stealth elements. Et cetera. There's also timers on EVERYTHING so players can't drag the game out forever. I have faith that on a long enough timeline they'll come up with even more poo poo to punish these shenanigans and maybe tighten up the matchmaking, and they have given me zero reason to believe they won't.

If the game can just get a good enough playerbase to quarantine the sweatlords with each other until they eventually lose interest and quit (because they can't bully babies they have no right being against for internet points anymore), then it's honestly got one of the best dev teams I've ever seen. Great music, great gameplay, great visual design, great communication, great responsive balancing.

I really, really don't want it to die.

So add it to your wishlist and buy it, or simply try it next time it's free weekend. It's also in the humble choice right now!!!! :colbert:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/820520/Deceive_Inc/
https://www.humblebundle.com/membership/home

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 13, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is Decieve Inc an asymmetrical game? I was kind of leaving it out of the thread because it's not really but while we're on the subject, yeah it's pretty good. It has a lot of problems when disguises break and shooting starts since then it's just any other shooter, but the disguise mechanics allow for some pretty interesting moments. Also the spies themselves are all bought with in-game currency so that is great.
It's not an asym but like I mentioned in my post, it's attracted a lot of DBD streamers and thus DBD players as a result, and has some overlap with the fanbase. Honorary asym :v:

CuddleCryptid posted:

For people who have played a lot, is there a good way to maintain a walking path while also looking around? Having "cruise control" of a sort is what I would like but it seems like just stopping occasionally to scope around with the binoculars is the best way, since making a swerving path is a dead giveaway.

It's important to note that you can keep hacking something with the binoculars without looking directly at it. Like if you're walking forward with the binoculars up and you have some intel in the distance on your left, it'll pop up offering it to hack. Hold M1 to start hacking and just keep walking forward and as long as it doesn't take a million years you should finish hacking it even if it goes offscreen because you walk past it. It's a good way to keep hacking while maintaining a path. I also strafe sometimes since your disguise only looks in the direction you're moving, so I'll pause for a few seconds, make sure the path in front of me is clear, then start crabwalking if I want to look to my left or right :v:

Otherwise yeah, stopping in the middle of your walk to scope out intel is the best way if you want to be stealthy, which is why NPCs do it so much. You can also take the risk of 'well, probably nobody is around, time to hack a bunch of stuff up close' if you feel gutsy - or if you're on a character that's really going to punish/deter people who spring your disguise, like Hans.

Just don't do the thing where you take a couple steps, stop, then take a couple steps again and stop again. That's a deaaaaad giveaway that has gotten me so many kills.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 13, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Does it have private lobbies and what is the limit of said private lobby?
Like Mix said it's on the roadmap and they actually just announced information about private lobbies today! It's a hotly requested feature :) TLDR: Open beta this month, release next month.

https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/deceive-inc-private-lobbies-beta-brief.2339836/

I'd assume the limit will be around 12 players, the max for a single game, with no lower limit, but I don't know for sure.

Just had a match that prompted me to make this meme:

Is there any joy in this game like versing your killer main and getting a huge edge because you know all the worst tactics that will gently caress them up?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

curiousTerminal posted:

Obviously it'd be better if maps were balanced but that's never happening so they could at least make new versions of maps that are sided the other way to even out the odds on an offering. Dark and empty Eyrie. Tiny Borgo. Goodham. Big Midwich.
Burst out laughing at "goodham"

Danaru posted:

I didn't realize until right now that Wesker has a 40m terror radius as opposed to the standard 32m :shepface: I wasn't trying to be stealthy but drat that explains a lot
Lmao yeah. It can work in your favor! I made this meme when he came out:

I believe Distressing gives him a TR slightly over 50 meters.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Also Dead Hard is way harder to use now so you'll see it way less and it's less bullshit when you do. Decisive Strike is basically dead, some people run it but it's very rare, it got nerfed hard.

In exchange there's a perk that gives survivors a permanent 3% speed boost while injured and I wish I was joking. At least it might be nerfed soon now that they've gotten enough dlc sales from it.

The BP grind is definitely way better overall, you don't lose items from prestiging anymore and can do so freely, and you have a button to auto unlock poo poo in the bloodweb for characters who have been prestiged at least once to go through it faster :)

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Any other notable changes I should be aware of? Either way, the game feels less agonizing to play than it did in 2021 as a killer main. Even with the people that try to bait me by teabagging behind a pallet, I just break off and focus down the weaker links in their team. One person trying to get a rise out of me can't get much done if their other 3 teammates are getting downed and hooked.

Killers received a round of buffs to things like gen kick and pallet kick speed. Gen kicks now provide 4% regression even without any perks, so they're not as worthless. A lot of perks have received reworks on both sides making them less (or more, but mostly less) useless. Overcharge is a good example. There's a link to the perks page on the wiki in the first post I think.

DC bots are in so if someone dcs they're replaced by a bot who can either be a huge idiot or an input-reading god depending on your killer. Haddonfield was reworked and is now not an act of war to bring an offering for. Trapper and Legion got reworks, Trapper still sucks though. Spirit was nerfed significantly but her best addons are still pretty op. Nurse and Blight are still the best at high ranks.

Boon totems are a thing. If you hear a crack of thunder that means a survivor booned a totem, which is like a survivor hex perk - in a short radius around that totem, survivors gain a buff depending on the perk. If you find the totem you can snuff it out but they can apply the boon again, including to that same totem. Thankfully you dodged the worst of boon meta so don't worry much about them, they tend to waste survivor time more than anything, but some effects are a little annoying so worth familiarizing yourself.

Stranger Things DLC was removed (Netflix sucks) but you can still play those characters if you have it. The Hawkins map was unfortunately removed for good.

Old Keys are dead. No more opening hatch and letting 3 survivors escape. Hatch now only spawns when 1 person is left in the game.

Also, dead hard no longer grants distance. It lets you parry an attack and get Deep Wound/Exhaustion from it, but that's it. No more dead hards to reach pallets, and the timing is way tighter.

Brand New Parts just got nerfed. I think syringe also got nerfed a bit but I don't remember?

Survivors can install effects on gens now, like putting a little mine on top that blows up when you kick it. It'll blind you and waste a couple seconds but is otherwise harmless. It's called Blast Mine. They can do the same to pallets with a new perk from the Alien DLC and it'll slow you very briefly.

There's also a perk called Flashbang that lets you craft Flashbangs. They will blind the killer at short range but have a delay and are super easy to just look up and avoid the blind in addition to the placement being super tricky so they will fail to do anything in 95% of instances. They are extremely funny, god bless Flashbang.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 16, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Facecamping needs to be taken care of but tunneling is the one I'm more concerned about. I'm cautiously optimistic about most of this though.

That said, I think Otzdarva really nailed it with Furtive (from his discord, he has an opinions channel because he gets asked so much "what is your opinion on ..."):

quote:

Buff to Furtive Chase (perk): This change is a testament to how little BHVR seems to understand what makes certain perks bad and/or unpopular. Furtive Chase is worthless because lowering your Terror Radius mid-chase (with a bunch of conditions prior) is worthless. Reducing the TR one extra meter will make zero difference. There's a LOT of perks that would benefit from a slight increase in numbers, but this is definitely not one of them. It will still be terrible. I don't know why they even bother.

I feel like this also extends to Trapper. Like... having more traps on the map doesn't really matter if you still lose 3 gens during setup? It's a misunderstanding of what the problem is to begin with. But whatever, I'll take whatever crumbs I can.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I feel like all the arguments about "EGS killed it/is the worst thing ever" pale in comparison to poo poo like "one side can chain iframes until they become literally invincible". That's a disgustingly severe exploit and any game that did not fix that within like, a week or two tops, would immediately lose all of my goodwill. Asym games have died for less, like VHS. You can argue that VHS's advertising and communications sucked poo poo and while yes, I'm sure that was part of their downfall, it seems like ultimately the killer role was just too hard and not fun and that killed interest more than anything else.

Doomykins posted:

A conga line of goofs thinking that if the HORROR ELEMENT in their HORROR GAME is too mean that people might not want to play, wondering why people don't want to play when dressing up as a monstrous serial killer is just a prelude to putting in more effort to perform worse.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'd be interested to know how many people who play a lot of DBD also play other horror games. When you die in other horror media it is a failure state but it's also basically what you are there for. If you get jumpscared in FNAF or a Necromorph gores you in Dead Space then you lost but the game would be less fun if it didn't happen a lot. Once you start thinking of horror media less of something than you experience and more something that has to be consistently won it changes everything about it.

Mr. Locke posted:

A lot of these newer devs probably at least in part base their game balanced around DBD and the feedback around it... unfortunately a lot of which is whining about how 'broken' killers are because a disproportionate part of the player base is Survivor-only. So new games implement similar gameplay except the Survivors get to fight back and almost all these devs miss that Survivors have traditionally been the Strong Side in Dead By Daylight since almost the dawn of the game, and giving the Survivors tools to make the Killer's life actively miserable base-kit just leads to a lot of games where the killer-side barely feels like they get to play the game once a meta shakes out and the average Survivor starts learning ways to kick the Killers in the genitals.

I think these posts are more on the money. Developers are misunderstanding how asym games should be balanced and are too afraid of making the killer role oppressively strong, despite the fact that it's so easy to accomplish the opposite, and they're so often steeped in survival horror themes! And players in the survivor role, for whatever reason - arrogance, streamerbrain, I don't know - too often get the idea that you're supposed to be capable of getting out 100% of the time.

I've said it before but the key to actually enjoying survivor-side DBD is never expecting a free escape. You can make assumptions on how a match might go at the start (oh it's a baby, we'll probably escape), and you might very often be right, but ideally the killer role should have the upper hand and tools to turn things around moreso than the other way around.

Any game that is asym and especially new honestly needs developers who are willing to make constant reactive patches around the meta and get rid of exploits and power spikes on either side. You can't have devs that don't touch the game except for every 3 months, and mostly just to fix graphical glitches or bugs. It just doesn't work. It really needs constant rebalancing.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Yeah, Ultimate Weapon is slightly overtuned right now. A little nervous they're going to nerf it into uselessness. Fixing it so you can hide in lockers to counter it is good, but they mostly need to make the effect shorter than the cooldown.

Like, as it is now, the perk effect lasts 30 seconds for the killer, the status effect lasts 30 seconds (from when it hits the survivor, which can be 20 seconds in!), and the cooldown is... also 30 seconds. If you spam it, people are basically permanently blind, which can cause people to lose hook states or die from nobody able to find their hook, slugs bleeding out, etc.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Thanks everyone for clearing up my misunderstanding! It's still possible for the effect to trigger really frequently for survivors though, so I feel like it could stand to have some tweaking.

Yeah MFT loving sucks and I'm tired of every chase being "do you have this?". Guessing as soon as the Gabe rift ends they're going to nerf it within a week.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Sloppy Butcher is good for hit and run, Jolt is always good on m1s, STBFL to make him even stronger in overclock mode. That's my build + Nowhere to Hide which is my mainstay perk on everyone because of how insanely useful it is to find people nearby.

Your ideas are great, to be clear, just sharing the perks I enjoy. I don't have the Alien dlc yet to know if Rapid Brutality is good on him.

I also ran into a singularity using Dead Man's Switch on him which I thought was very clever. After hooking someone, look through your pods to find a gen being worked on. Either they run away or use their EMP if they have one, like usual... but they have to let go of the gen to use it, which causes the gen to get locked by DMS.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 1, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Sokani posted:

Had a tome challenge to hook 6 survivors while using Iron Grasp. No other killer challenges I could do since I don't have singularity, so "ugh I guess I'll do it".

All 4 survivors had Boil Over :getin:

This is why I love taking Agitation+Iron Grasp. I had a survivor throwing the whole game fast vaulting into lockers on the second floor of Crotus Prenn Asylum, trying to get her Boil Over/Flip Flop/Unbreakable value. Finally I went up there, downed her, picked her up, and effortlessly carried her to a hook, like "here you go, now cut it out and play the game, dummy".

She killed herself.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Relyssa posted:

What are folks' thoughts on solo queue builds? I run Distortion/Kindred in pretty much all of my survivor builds, have been experimenting with Kinship/Deliverance as I get tired of being left to hang until the struggle phase. I accept that Kinship is going to get me value very rarely but I'm mostly trying to cover all my bases without needing to worry too much about what everyone else is bringing. It has saved my rear end at least once so far, so it has that going for it. I also enjoy the cheeky Blast Mine/Wiretap combo.

Alert. Seriously, try it. See the killer's aura every time they kick a gen, pallet, or wall. It's so loving useful in so many ways.

1. Constantly get some idea of where the killer is
  2. As soon as a killer kicks something (which, on maps with breakable walls like Dead Dawg or Silent Hill, they'll often do at the start) you know who they are just from silhouette - or if they're undetectable, thus hiding their aura, you know they're a stealth killer at least, because Alert still makes a sound
  3. Gives you a great idea of whether or not you're safe to keep doing what you're currently doing (okay, the killer kicked something across the map, so even if they come straight here I have enough time to finish this gen/this heal/this totem, I'm safe to do an unhook, etc)
  4. Tells you exactly where a chase is, helpful for avoiding it running into you or, conversely, if you're the kind that wants to interfere with the chase, you better have an idea where it's taking place
  5. Tells you if your teammate is dropping every pallet and turning a certain area into a dead zone
  6. Gives you a good idea of whether or not the killer kicks pallets in chase, period
  7. Tells you if a generator is regressing because the killer kicked it, and its general location, so you can go work on it or at least tap it to stop its regression (or if your teammate hops back on it, now you know where a gen is being worked on)
  8. If a killer comes to your gen and you're hiding behind a rock 15 feet away, tells you when the killer is done kicking it and shows you the direction they're moving in, to let you know if it's safe to go back in (or give you advance warning if they're heading your way)
  9. Due to the above it is invaluable for 3-gens where you need to know when the killer is heading to your gen
  10. Good to have a sound cue in chase for "okay, the killer stopped to break that pallet" because killers can try and fake it by stopping in front of it and looking down

Kindred is, of course, indispensable for solo queue. Exhaustion perks are good too for general survivability in chase if you can find one you like. I run Sprint Burst/Kindred/Alert with a rotating 4th perk depending on my mood or challenge. Favorites include Flashbang, We'll Make It, Visionary, Open Handed, and Inner Healing.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 3, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

curiousTerminal posted:

I'm so glad other people are banging the Alert drum. For like a full year my SWF build was Alert, Distortion, Utility Perk, Archive Perk (with utility perk being UB, Reassurance, DS, some kind of Good Perk to counter potentially difficult playstyles)
I can provide info for my team in 2 different ways, and I have something clutch just in case.

Yeah, this is the other side of the Alert coin: it's insanely useful when you're SWF to the point that I almost feel bad using it. I often SWF in a 2-man and between Alert and Kindred I can constantly call out insane amounts of info as to the whereabouts of the killer and our other two teammates.

Relyssa posted:

Alert is indeed amazing, and I've been a very big fan of it for a long time now. My solo queue build would then look like Distortion/Kindred/Alert/$somefourthperk. I will always run Distortion because of how much info it gives you even if it never procs. You immediately learn if they're running Lethal, BBQ, Nowhere to Hide, etc. Kindred because duh. Still unsure what I want that fourth perk to be. I don't like exhaustion perks but that's my own personal hangups talking. Inner Healing is fun but I am godawful at finding totems and every time I run it the killer also happens to be running penti. I would ideally like this to be a general use build without pigeonholing myself into one specific thing too much.

I might just try to get over myself and run Sprint Burst as the 4th since it's useful in practically every situation.
Well, if Inner Healing and Sprint Burst are out, I'll give a little more elaboration on my other prior suggestions and why I take 'em:

Visionary is great for identifying 3-gens and you'd be amazed how much time you save, especially on maps that are a little more labyrinthian, knowing exactly where the gens are at all times. It's not dissimilar from Deja Vu but Visionary's aura moves around you and it's really useful for building up a sense of exactly where everything is. Even at 1700 hours I'm a fan, maybe because I have memory problems. :v:
Open-Handed increases every aura-reading perk by SIXTEEN METERS. It is always an incredibly dope perk because it applies to everyone, not just you, so everyone will love you, and Open-Handed + Kindred is rad as gently caress.
We'll Make It is a shockingly good perk in general because it gives you a really solid heal boost not just to the person you unhooked, but to EVERYONE you heal, for the next 90 seconds. You can ruin a killer's pressure really easily this way and it's great for breaking poo poo like Sloppy, Thana, etc. You're up poo poo's creek if a Plague shows up, of course, but how frequent is that? I've noticed the survivability of my team goes up significantly with this.

And of course, Flashbang is the best perk in the game because it's the equivalent of crafting a banana peel, AND you can hand it to other people who are then obligated to try and use it. You know that, 95% of the time, you (or the other survivor you hand it to) are going to slip on the banana peel. But 5% of the time, the killer might. Either way, you're creating slapstick.

Aftercare is another one of those super underrated perks, especially in solo queue. Or since you have no exhaustion perks, Iron Will might be a good pick, too, or Made For This (despite how strong it is, BHVR doesn't seem keen on nerfing it yet, so when in Rome, I guess). Or you could go for one of the old faithfuls, Adrenaline, Unbreakable, or Prove Thyself.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

sierra mist tastes better than sprite :mad:

Relyssa posted:

While we're at it though, teach me how to Flashbang. I have never once managed to make the killer slip on that banana peel.
You have to worry about the killer hearing the little TCK of it dropping and being able to look away, so it's largely only feasible when they're not expecting it and might miss the noise, or when they're locked into an animation (like a traditional flashlight). Or when they're a lower level killer who is like "what the gently caress was that noise" and doesn't look away.

They're extremely hard to use and that's why they're so funny. You can throw it while they're picking up, like a traditional flashlight, but I've never really gotten that timing right. My best luck has been throwing it at a hook that they have to go around a corner to get to, so it's less obvious what I'm doing. Body blocking a hook can help - you body block and throw it, causing the killer to swing at you, and the flashbang to go off in that time. Or unrelated to stunning people out of the killer's arms, you can throw it down at a pallet they're breaking if you want a guaranteed blind. Or throw it down randomly mid chase and hope you get just the right timing that it catches them.

I managed to flashbang blind a Blight mid-rush once and he was just as surprised as I was.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

calbruc posted:

Solo build for gen fans:
Bond so you can see if your teammate is running the killer directly to you
Stake Out to build up some sweet Great skillchecks
Fogwise to always know where the killer is when you hit those Greats
Hyperfocus to keep getting those skillchecks and for gen repair speed

If you hit your skillchecks right, you basically know where any non-hidden killer is at all times.

and then the killer takes fearmonger

:negative:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

OxMan posted:

I think it's interesting how hard you guys go on teammate info in solo queue. I never take kindred, and i think i lose a hook state that i wouldn't have lost otherwise maybe 1/30 games. Doing the come get me wiggle seems to be good enough. I do like stacking survivability for BAD player choices. Out of those 30 games I'd say at least 10 (1/3) have at LEAST 1 time when i get a lovely unhook, so i like Dead Hard or Off The Record for a second chance. I find OTR covers a lot of use cases of distortion so i prefer it as an all in one.
I use it more for my own information than anyone else's, honestly. I don't trust my teammates to do their jobs at all so it gives me an idea of where my teammates are and what they're doing. Lets me know if they just let go of a gen to run in in case that gen is near me and I can go in to keep working on it, or if another teammate just got chased off a gen because the killer left the hook, or if I need to go in because everyone else has their thumbs up their rear end in a locker - it saves a ton of time that way. I also despise camping so much that it's helpful for that if nothing else.

Also, giving info to my teammates lets me make memes like this.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 4, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

BrewingTea posted:

I'm with Tiny Myers on Visionary. Just because there are 3 generators that are "closest" to each other doesn't mean one of those is the one you should be working RIGHT NOW. You want to break up a bad 3-gen before they're the only ones left, but you don't have to do that FIRST.

I prefer Visionary because it lets me see all of the generators. I don't need Deja Vu because I can see where the bad 3-gens are myself. In fact, I know which generator is best to finish first because I can see, ahead of time, what the next 3-gen will look like.

THANK you!!! Finally, someone to combat the Visionary slander! It's about identifying and stopping 3-gens before they even start, saving my team from themselves!

And yeah, it's not that I don't know where gens are likely to spawn, but it's much easier to build a mental inventory of where they are and what's been done already, especially on a map like Midwich. Plus you save a lot of time being able to beeline directly to a gen rather than going "uhhh idk one is usually right here"

Relyssa posted:

Also first game with flashbang and I got a successful blind, failed to do anything useful with it but it was still funny.

eta: oh my god three of us were using flashbang that poor killer
Proud of you! :neckbeard: And yeah, the key with flashbang is to expect nothing to happen 95% of the time. Like, the humor of loving up is half the point.

I would gladly, knowingly take a lobby with 4 flashbangs. And I would not put Lightborn on. I want to see your banana peels scattered everywhere. Every time I see a Leon I'm like "DO IT!!! I KNOW YOU HAVE A FLASHBANG!!!"

I agree the rift has been grindy as gently caress, even having done most of the challenges. I also hate how many of them were basically inviting my teammates to throw or DC when they don't get it. "Escape through the hatch" ones are always the worst - when I see someone bring a hatch location offering 9 times out of 10 I can correctly guess they're going to sandbag in some way because they want their challenge sooo bad.

But definitely the worst one for sandbagging teammates was 3 Iridescent Unbroken Emblems. Do you know how you get those? By escaping the trial without having gone down a single time. No, not 'without being hooked'. Without going down. Period.

Three of them. :ughh: What the gently caress were they thinking putting that in? Can't imagine how many ragequits that one was responsible for.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Furtive Chase's change is interesting. Lmfao at the concept of hooking in front of someone trying to body block then slapping them while you have Rapid Brutality, for 10% haste total. YOU'RE NOT GETTING AWAY FROM ME

Might also be fun with Play With Your Food shenanigans, maybe Game Afoot? :thunk:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Medullah posted:

I think it's better than it was but not really likely to find it's way into my rotation. 18 seconds isn't really enough to get to a gen and surprise someone.

That's what I thought too, but then I thought about how it's also 18 seconds of 5% Haste. Additionally, Nemesis gets 15 seconds of undetectable when he kills a zombie from Serotonin Injector, and that addon constantly fucks me up on Survivor when I'm not expecting it.

I don't think it'll be super powerful, especially at high tiers, but for mid ranks it seems like it could be a really fun choice in gimmick builds if you like to startle people.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

You guys all have great ideas but you're missing the perk hiding in plain sight.

NOED increases your speed by 4% when it's active. :getin:

curiousTerminal posted:

I just did a Pinhead game where I took Chatterer's Tooth (you can see the box's aura, picking it up does not start a chain hunt but does make you undetectable), Thrill of the Hunt, and Undying, and nothing else. I spent the whole match walking to the box when it respawned and picking it up. The only time I chased or downed people was when they picked up the box.
Before this I set my steam name to "i love my funny box"
I didn't dodge any lobbies before doing this and still somehow managed to find a live streamer with VODs on, and when i went back to take a look it turns out he spawned on top of one of my totems and spent a good 45 seconds trying and failing to cleanse it because I kept picking up the box before he finished and he spent the first 2 or 3 gens super worried about what hex I was defending.

I love loving around like this. Intentionally losing but making them sweat the whole time.
As a Pinhead lover this is loving hilarious, I love that addon and "i love my funny box" is such a good username too. You could also add Ultimate Weapon and Hex: Face The Darkness for additional chicanery. :allears:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Theswarms posted:

We should remove boil over, survivors cannot be trusted with it.

Love people with boil over and unbreakable taking me to artists map and running around the top floor.

This is part of why I run Agitation all the time now, if not Agitation+Iron Grasp+Awakened Awareness. It just puts an end to that poo poo permanently and some other irritating survivor poo poo.

Otherwise, just slug them and stand there in front of them and let them bleed out. Unbreakable only works once after all, unless they have other perks like No Mither or Exponential. Sure, it means throwing the whole game on your end, but instead of "haha I can run around with impunity" it becomes "laying there bleeding for a few minutes, completely unable to play the game while the killer looks at his phone, until eventually you die and get barely any points for your trouble". If you're lucky the entire team will mobilize to save and you'll get a 4k.

Enough games like that and eventually they'll get the idea to not abuse ingame mechanics, I hope. They do it because it's fun for them. If you refuse to engage it and make it as unfun as possible, they lose their incentive.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

tithin posted:

"you're a boring trapper, you should play nurse"

yes, god forbid I drop chase on the pre-dropping Kate who's using MFT and windows on eyrie of crows, and make an effort to block choke points, truly a very boring trapper, and not how his power is designed to be used.

Any survivor who calls you 'boring' is mad because they didn't get a free win. It's the same reason people call every anti-loop killer that comes out 'boring'. Oh no, they can't turn their brain off and do the same loop garbage they've put 4000 hours into practicing for 5 gens then teabag in the gate, better make it everyone else's problem that they can't and don't want to adapt to any other type of gameplay.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Yeah uh, I didn't see anything wrong with what rydiafan said.

Just because survivors abuse poo poo as much as they can and are way more likely to be assholes on average doesn't mean you can't point out when a killer is literally abusing a mechanic, and that's a pretty obvious example of "this is not intended to work that way and you are knowingly taking advantage of that".

Like to be clear I'm normally "oh the killer facecamped you? So what did you do to deserve it?" levels of giving killers the benefit of the doubt, but this is pretty cut and dry lmao.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Pants Donkey posted:

They would likely need to tweak the mechanic for specific killers. Going up two flights and teleporting back down to the hook isn’t something every killer can do.

Well, since they said on a hill 3 inches away, it sounded less like a nurse-specific thing and more like this (professional artist's phone rendering):

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Danaru posted:

Nah it's the stacking info perks on Doctor when Doctor can just poo poo lightning and follow screams. I genuinely can't think of a killer who could benefit from I'm All Ears less

The more baffling thing to me was the loving Hex: Plaything on Doctor. Why do you want Oblivious on Doctor whose entire job is to have survivors in his TR screaming :psyduck:

Kwolok posted:

Give me your most fun absolutely no meta perks survivor build.
Inner Healing/Flashbang/Red Herring/Blast Mine. Get in the locker! :) But watch out.

It's a build where you get excited to go in a locker but then you're constantly going "Oh gently caress now I blew up the generator directly next to me and the killer knows I'm here". It's the self-prank build. But with some pranks for the killer, too.

Now I'm just remembering the game where a killer was camping someone thinking I'd come to rescue (I was the only other one alive) so I used Red Herring to distract them away making them think I blew a gen on the other side of the map while I immediately swooced in for the rescue. Red Herring value is so rare and so, so funny.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 22, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

DeathChicken posted:

Was tooling around with Nurse for a daily, my biggest hurdle with her remains that she never feels like she's lunging even if I hold my mouse button coming out of a teleport. Like the amount of times I'm visually right on top of a survivor, swing and hit nothing while they run away is mind boggling

You have a bit of a grace period after you've teleported and in that period of time is when you can move a hair and also lunge at them. Swinging your camera a little bit in the direction of the survivor helps, it feels like it makes your hitbox a little larger and can help with their sudden movements.

Missing is definitely a common thing for what it's worth and something I struggle with a lot even as a nurse main.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Approaching 2000 hours if you include the smurf I made to play with my friend who's low tier, because on main the game keeps slamming me up against walls of 4000-8000 hour survivors + comp Blights that are not even remotely my level, let alone my friend's. Very cool and good matchmaking, love to eat poo poo and die after 5 seconds in every chase no matter how many times I throw rank to try to get to somewhere I can actually improve.

(The comp Blights are super cool to see in action though, very gentlemanly. Ran into one twice in a row and he went crazy spinning and nodding on my first down like "oh my god twice in a row???" and then later gave me hatch lmao. Mensch.)

I'd consider myself "veteran", I guess. I know all the perks and have a good sense for a lot of the add-ons. I don't know the particulars of like, Knight because I never vers him and I hate it when I do but I can say "okay, that windup was way too quick, this Huntress probably has windup addons". I'm not amazing in chase as survivor but I have a few killers I can deeply frustrate, and I've built up good gamesense when it comes to finishing generators under the killer's nose and generally keeping my team alive.

I'm good enough at killer but I dislike the repetition and stress of high level play with perfect loopers using MFT+Hope+Resilience, so I generally have no desire to get to the more competitive upper echelons... on M1 killers, at least.

I'm nowhere near Otz level nor do I want to be, but I definitely wouldn't think of myself as a novice.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I don't even like Borgo on survivor. I see an offering and I'm like okay which one of you bitches was responsible for this :mad:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Sokani posted:

Map offerings are violence.

I take indoor map offerings sometimes because those are fairly neutral and some of my favorites on survivor. But yeah, most of them just... suck and I dread seeing an Ormond offering or whatever when playing killer because I know it's usually taken to give an unfair advantage or be malicious instead of just liking a map. Sad since I actually enjoy Ormond.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

MikeNCR posted:

So, hilarious thing with that one, Plot Twist counts as two health states.
holy poo poo lmao

Plot Twist is such a funny loving perk god bless

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Some people are REALLY upset at the concept of the killer being able to kill, doubly so if they can force a situation where it's inevitable instead of 100% fun and playing with the survivor's toesies and blowing raspberries on their belly to make them giggle the whole time

Sorry Danaru for getting harassed by the dumbass contingent of this game's audience (which is unfortunately quite large). I have been there. You should probably stop engaging with them and just hit every reply with Michael Myers dancing

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Danaru posted:

Yeah that's the right way to go :cripes: I was just so baffled by people calling Pig of all killers game breakingly OP, and then it just kept getting more baffling from there, what a trip

The insane defensiveness around MFT would've probably baited me to engage too. I can't comprehend it at all. Survivors are so loving in denial about their new toy after Dead Hard got taken from them, it's blatant.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Wasn't the purpose of the game is to have the killer kill people? Isn't that the core premise of the game?
I've been meaning to write a deep dive article into this, but in the absence of that existing for me to point you to, basically: a lot of people playing this game seem to be not having fun with it, yet continue to play anyway due to various reasons (sunk cost fallacy, habit, things in the game that are designed to be literally psychologically addictive/FOMO like most modern live service games, their friends play it, whatever). These tend to largely be survivor players.

So, you will often enough get people who have put some thousands of hours into the game and thoroughly wrung it dry of enjoyment. The only thing that they enjoy at this point, if they enjoy anything at all, is getting to do some very specific part of the game they find stimulating, usually flashlight saves or chases. Getting denied that (see: every mf who tries to stunt upon a killer then DCs when you have Lightborn or they make a stupid mistake and go down in their first chase) or forced to engage with other parts of the game they personally consider tedious is a one-way ticket to complaint street. Or, for the people who don't enjoy ANYTHING in the game, they're going to complain no matter what and get pissed at the killer for being a convenient scapegoat for their irritation. "There goes the loving killer, killing again" is like a deadass sentiment for these people even if they may not state it in such plain words.

The problem is that these folks have so little self-awareness that they do not understand that their entire problem is not the killer, nor the game, but that they've bled the game like a stone. Instead, they lob a bunch of frivolous complaints at killers and/or devs without taking any time to understand how insane they sound to the average person. They'll bend over backwards to rationalize it with increasingly absurd complaints and cognitive dissonance, like the wildly unhinged arguments any time someone wants to claim Lightborn should be removed.

This is why people get mad at killers for killing. And... for not killing. They get mad at killers for being too easy, too hard, too boring, too complicated. They hate 90% of the killers in the game (with no consistency from person to person, except for what's popular for streamers/Reddit to hate/call OP, so good luck trying to be a people pleaser) and 90% of maps in the game and 90% of perks in the game. Because they hate the game and they are tired of playing it and instead of loving uninstalling they make it everyone else's problem.

There's also some intertangled problems like the huge toxicity problem in the game and how many survivors treat instinctive killer gameplay behaviors as deliberate acts of malice due to laughably poor game balance and historic house rules they expect everyone to follow to unreasonable degrees, but yeah. This is responsible for the majority of it, I think.

Survivors are... tired of playing the game. So they get mad at the killer for doing anything that prevents them from being The Cool Guy Who Loops For 5 Gens And Does Nothing Else, or for simply playing the game of Dead By Daylight, thereby forcing them to do so as well. They whine about any gameplay mechanic introduced that adds any measure of difficulty or complexity to the thing they've spent 4000+ hours (not an exaggeration) doing, even though you'd expect they'd want some kind of variety at this point, because they simply do not want to play the game anymore, or perhaps they just want the easy hit of dopamine from a practiced skill and to be able to turn their brain completely off with no struggle whatsoever. Made For This makes that easier to do, so of course they're whining about the prospect of it being removed. The aforementioned Pig behavior prevents them from being able to do a million loops with their brain turned off and means they might actually face a modicum of difficulty instead of getting a guaranteed escape, so they get pissed about it. But at the same time, if Pig didn't do that, they'd teabag in the gate and whine about how it was an ez baby killer, zzz boring.

There is no winning, because the only winning move is for them not to play.

God I really need to write that article.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

What you do is walk over the body like you're gonna pick up then turn around and see the idiot SWF blowing their cover running in to try and get a save. Chase them, hit them. Repeat and if you're lucky they're greedy enough to try and save even while injured. Then once you have two people on the floor, hopefully the rest of the SWF is heading in at this point, if they're not already there with their own beamers.

Have gotten 4ks from a single team collapsing in on itself trying to get saves more than once and it's funny as gently caress. They're not happy about it because eww toxic slugging killer how dare you not immediately pick up the survivor right after you down them with zero consideration to the scratch marks 5 feet away and the awareness that the entire lobby has flashlights on

Seriously though, so many survivors get got by simply baiting out a save like that. Try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Medullah posted:

Yuppp this happens a lot to me. I had a match this weekend that went from "3 gens done with 2 hooks" to "4k at 2 gens left" because of a flashy/altruism spiral. I also love the people that don't know how to play against Xenomorph and sit at a pallet waiting for you to break it so they can get their flashy flashy only to eat a tail strike to the chest. He's quickly becoming one of my favorites, has a great toolkit and isn't all that complicated to use.
I love when they do this for Myers (so you just stare at them) or like, Nemesis. Did you forget I have the tentacle lmao

While we're on the subject of 3D mousepads, I've always thought this one was funny. (Similarly "SFW but probably your boss shouldn't see it")