Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

The one and only thing that puts me off of DbD is all the min-maxing, grognard bullshit that I refuse to learn.

I hear people talking about all the perks by name, and everybody who's deep into the game knows immediately what they mean and my eyes go cross. Everything on the Bloodweb, to me, looks identical with slightly different percentages that do things I can't even begin to comprehend. I like the basic gameplay, it's fine, and I pretty much only play killer when I play because survivor looks boring, but it feels like I'm missing out on 80% of the game by not really understanding the perks and what they do.

I can 100% relate to this. I still do watch videos and learn (some of) the grognard bullshit... I just don't love it.

That's why I think the game could be improved by showing, on-screen during a chase, that the other player has x% haste or whatever. You don't even have to say what perk(s) it's from... just knowing that speed boosts and body-blocking hags exist would help onboard new players.

The first time I ran into Blood Warden, I was baffled. I didn't even know you could block the exit like that! And since the game won't show you Killer perks until the end of the game, you're left with the choice of waiting for everyone else to die so you can finally (maybe) see why something happened, or just accept that you're constantly going to be bombarded with random bonuses and debuffs that you have no way to understand.

It's not a great system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Made This For

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Just a heads up:

In today's shrine, it's saying I can buy Inner Healing and Guardian at Tier 1, even though I already have both. I normally buy anything I don't already have, but seeing it available at Tier 1 isn't as reliable as it normally is.

Don't buy something you already own by accident... :)

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

You can create desktop shortcuts for your games. That's even easier than launching Steam first, and it allows you to be platform-agnostic.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Before they tested the Basekit-Unbreakable thing, they specifically said it wasn't going to go live. It was purely a PTB thing, so I'm not sure that even counts.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

I USED to be a piece of poo poo. People can change.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

They'd say, "No sloppy steaks." but they can't stop you from ordering a steak and a glass of water!

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

I'm with Tiny Myers on Visionary. Just because there are 3 generators that are "closest" to each other doesn't mean one of those is the one you should be working RIGHT NOW. You want to break up a bad 3-gen before they're the only ones left, but you don't have to do that FIRST.

I prefer Visionary because it lets me see all of the generators. I don't need Deja Vu because I can see where the bad 3-gens are myself. In fact, I know which generator is best to finish first because I can see, ahead of time, what the next 3-gen will look like.

But if we're talking survivor perks, I can't understand how you all are playing without Calm Spirit right now. Every 3rd killer brings Ultimate Weapon and it's an insta-loss if you scream and constantly let them know where you are (and fail skill-checks, have to restart totems/Pig boxes, etc.)

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Medullah posted:

Once you get used to where the gens spawn it's really not terribly hard to find one close to you, and knowing where 3 of them are honestly makes it easier to figure out where the ones closer are.

My problem is: I know a generator CAN spawn in that tile over there, but it would be tucked away behind walls and such.

Do I want to walk all the way over there and check? Or do I find out from 32m away? (This is even more pronounced on indoor maps.)

I guess it comes down to whether you prefer to save time finding the gens vs. finishing the gens. :)

DeathChicken posted:

Yeesh, the rift was grindier than usual this time. Usually I can hit the easier archives, ignore the overly annoying ones and still have enough points to fill out the entire bonus list. This time hitting most of the archives and the points from the event still left me 10 rungs shy of finishing it

Oh good, I thought it was just me.

BrewingTea fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 4, 2023

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Nerfing Skull Merchant has made her popular! They should do this more often, I guess

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

The ideal thing is to let them bleed on the hook until they're almost at the next stage then rescue them, but it's pretty often you'll have one or more survivors diving the hook after ten seconds.

If someone on a hook is on the verge of Stage 2/3, the killer is almost guaranteed to be there to hassle you. After all, they only have to commit a few seconds of their time (not enough to give them a free unhook, even with the new system) to gain an entire hook stage.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

There's a lot of time there that could be spent on gens but it's usually a rush to get them off the hook for reasons already mentioned upthread.

Oh, from a gen-completion standpoint, sure. I see what you're saying.

Although...

Sokani posted:

I will take cover and wait for the ideal time to unhook.

...isn't getting gens done.

Edit: As survivor, I have played against nothing but Skull Merchant since the patch. 7 matches now, jesus

BrewingTea fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 11, 2023

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Please do not take screenshots and "claim" that you drew it.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

I mean, there are sites/apps that will pick random perks for you, if that's all you want.

I was thinking it'd be fun if they gave you bonus BP, or something, in exchange for the extra challenge...

VVVVVV I agree, make it more accessible, but they could do even more than that.

BrewingTea fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 12, 2023

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

I did the random perk challenge on killer, and one of my perks was Franklin's

I apologized in the endgame chat

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Kwolok posted:

I'm dumb and don't really understand what this means...

The "softcap" is a number used in the matchmaking system. It controls who can get matched against who, so some people noticed when they changed that number.

However, this would have affected only the top 5% of all players, so I didn't notice.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Wait, there's not even a default badge or banner in the game... at all? You just have an empty square there?

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

I've played more Chucky matches today that I've played against Clown in the last 700+ matches since I started tracking it

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Actually, the number of Chuckies I've seen has surpassed Artist, Billy, Clown, Demo, Dredge, Freddy, Hag, Knight, Pig, Pinhead, Plague, Pyramid Head, Sadako, Singularity, Spirit, Trickster, and Twins.

In fact, if you take Artist, Billy, Hag, Trickster, and Twins, I've seen Chucky more than any 3 of those COMBINED.

VVVVVVVV edit: Yeah, I'm happy for BHVR, and I'm glad people like him. He's fun.

It's just... I wouldn't be keeping track of these nerdy stats if I wasn't fascinated by nerdy stats. :)

BrewingTea fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 29, 2023

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

The (likely to be empty) box replaces the survivor outcome on the postgame summary screen, so you can't tell who lived/died any more!

So, they launched it with -1 options

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Relyssa posted:

Solo queue enjoyers (or masochists, either way) - is Kindred as mandatory as it feels? I wouldn't mind freeing up the slot for more build variety but it feels so crippling without it. I'm torn, and need more advice.

I recently did this (freed up a slot for build variety) by ditching Kindred, and it has been fun having the extra slot and experimenting. Making an educated guess of who should rescue based on the HUD is as good as Kindred most of the time. When it's not, then sure, Kindred can save the entire game, but it IS one of those perks that won't help you at all for long stretches.

It's deceptive because every time someone gets hooked, you're seeing auras. So you ARE getting tons of info out of it, but is the info that useful? I still think they should put some form of it into the basekit for Survivors, but I got tired of waiting for them to do that, and I don't regret it.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

If each of the Survivors, individually, scours the entire map to find all of the generators, and then (without communication) agree 100% on the order they should be done, there's nothing the killer can do to stop them.

/s

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

This might have been true pre-SWF but when half the playerbase is on comms it isn't really true.

They've said that the majority of Survivors play solo.

But even if that's not true, my original point was that without comms, it isn't even remotely Survivors' faults if a 3-gen happens.

I wasn't commenting on whether fixing 3-gens is a good idea...

CuddleCryptid posted:

there isn't a lot more the UI could do to bring parity with SWF outside of just putting in a COD Warzone style ping system or just cutting the knot and making voice/text chat in matches native to the game. No amount of UI can compensate for people triangulating the killer at every second.

Having more than just 2 emotes
Icons (similar to the gen progress ones) that show who is hearing the TR at any given point (maybe a little heart?)
Icons that show who is actively looking at the killer (regardless of TR)
Some way to share generator locations
Shared perk info (when someone has Distortion, everyone should know the killer just saw your aura)
Progress indicator on exit gates
Basekit Kindred
Showing perks/offerings in the pre-match lobby

A ping system could fix a number of these, and you're right, it will never be as efficient as Discord, but it seems like there's A LOT MORE they could do to bridge the information gap without a single reason not to.

BrewingTea fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 13, 2023

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Medullah posted:

Waste of dev resources.

...but enough about Skull Merchant.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

I’d also like to see something done when just two survivors are left and there’s like three or more gens left to do. Because that can also dissolve into a slog as the remaining survivors realize gens are likely impossible to finish, and they stop focusing on them and just try to avoid being caught first so they can try for the hatch.

THANK you

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I know that there are more considerations than "private boolean showCrosshair = false -> true"

There's already a "crosshair" that appears whenever you get hit with Clown's tonic (to avoid motion sickness, I suspect?) so it actually might be as simple as enabling that for Huntress.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

rydiafan posted:

it led to killer mains losing their poo poo when going for Otz-style winning streaks, but it had which was one of its benefits.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

Yeah they are so laser-focused on new content there really is scant time to focus on the game being functional.

It's weird because they DO have time for the anti-camping thing, or addressing the "3 Gen Situation", or making bloodweb purchases faster, and none of that makes them money.

I refuse to believe that new mechanics are easier to program than just taking existing info and showing it to additional players (e.g. bridging the solo/SWF gap).

I know they (claim to) think the "crux" of the problem isn't info, but every time they say dumb poo poo like that (or "If you died, did you really play skillfully?") it sounds like they've already decided what they want to work on, and they're trying to justify it retroactively, hoping their player base doesn't notice the excuse doesn't make sense.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

I'd rather pay for all my DLC a second time than to have to re-level all my characters, perks, etc.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

They've been talking about cross-progression for years. You can even go to their website and link your various accounts together. It doesn't actually DO anything, but since that was planned & stalled, my money would be on "contractual fuckery with Sony, MS, etc."

Comedy option: When you link your accounts, they give you 30 billion BP so you can manually get your progress back.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Oh, poo poo, for some reason I thought Open-Handed only worked on survivor auras. I didn't think about extending Visionary with it. That's pretty sweet.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

FYI, you can collect/throw snowballs as Wraith while cloaked. You can also jump inside a snowman, which makes it easy to tell which snowmen are jumpscares.

Because if the prompt to hop inside is missing, it's a jumpscare, but it won't trigger until you uncloak.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yup especially in a SWF with voice chat.

"Alright guys, no Lethal Pursuer"

"Okay he kicked a gen and distortion didn't trigger, no Nowhere to Hide"

"Distortion triggered as soon as he hooked/we unhooked, he's got BBQ/Floods of Rage"

You can tell when people have never played in a SWF. They have this idealized version of how it plays out...

In fact, it turns out that information doesn't help you win. The devs said it, so it must be true. :colbert:

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Medullah posted:

To be fair, the SWF I play with loses the vast majority of the time, but it's largely because we just gently caress around and use dumb builds.

To be fair, I've never actually played in a SWF, so if anyone is guilty of talking out of their rear end, it may be me

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

You're a monster

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

I was kidding about hating Skull Merchant. But god, I legit hate Plague.

She's the only killer who has a completely unavoidable power. You can crouch thru Hag's and SM's traps. (You can even undo them if you find them.) You can dodge Huntress, Trickster, Victor, etc. You can defeat Ghostface just by looking at him!

But against Plague, if you want to power the exit gates, you have to go through those infected generators, so you WILL get sick at some point in the match. Hell, you can't even unhook or heal a teammate without it happening. And not just a minute of being Exposed, like Oni or Shape. You're injured, you can't heal, oh and Iron Will doesn't work.

It's like she's Trapper, but every generator, vault, pallet, and locker can become a trap, and she has infinite traps to spread around the map, and instead of taking time to stop and set up a single one, she can just spray multiple of them around an area without even having to stop a chase. Granted, they aren't permanent, but triggering one resets it AND can generate (again, potentially infinite) additional traps that will automatically get spread for you into the exact areas where survivors are conveniently forced to go.

Survivors can untrap themselves, and they do get a health-state back when they do (unlike Trapper) but they have to travel to certain spots to do so, and it just makes you stronger when they do. Plus, what are they going to do after that? Do a gen and get re-infected??

BrewingTea fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 25, 2024

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Umbreon posted:

Does lullaby loudness matter anymore? Survivors now have the heartbeat terror radius sensing feature and pretty much every streamer I watch turns it on.

E: Oh right I forgot, lullaby is not terror radius. Serves me right for never using the feature lol

I don't use it either, but I thought that it also lit up for lullabies?

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

The dropped still-running chainsaw hits Pants Donkey, mortally wounding them.

"OP... <cough><cough> bullshit"

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

BHVR posted:

Since we’ve started regularly sharing stats last year

Did I miss a ton of updates or something? I haven't seen any stats in well over a year. I even looked on their "Developer Update" archive and couldn't find anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

The only way I could see "Oh, poo poo, that survivor was the killer all along!" working would be if the killer could somehow teleport to and possess an existing survivor. Like they pull out a teacup and start rubbing a spoon around the rim and BAM one of the survivors is now in the upside-down or whatever

But if we're talking about a whole "Hello fellow kids!" situation, I don't see that being doable at all.

On the plus side, I don't believe that asking survivors to stay away from their teammates and only trust them to do the bare minimum would affect solo queue any more than it would SWFs ;)

Pants Donkey posted:

One silver lining is that solo survivors would finally stop clustering on one gen when the game starts.

It's not my fault that one Daily requires 180 SECONDS of co-op action! Do you know how many matches that will take??

BrewingTea fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 18, 2024