Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
They might as well put an option toggle in officially. If they had perfect software that flawlessly disabled overlays without crossing any lines on messing with your personal system, a literally magical perfect anticheat, then you'd just put a bit of tape on your monitor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Waste of dev resources.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Doomykins posted:

They might as well put an option toggle in officially. If they had perfect software that flawlessly disabled overlays without crossing any lines on messing with your personal system, a literally magical perfect anticheat, then you'd just put a bit of tape on your monitor!

That's much too hard, might as well just nerf Pig again!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Doomykins posted:

People have been doing this for decades and while it isn't a cheat program you certainly would be called a scrub to do it.

If they're going to allow it then it should be default, it's an incredibly stupid thing to do if you balance something around there being no crosshair and then allow people to put one on anyways. Half of Hunteess' design is not being 100% positive of where the axe is going.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

More about the AMA, on one hand I'm very happy they confirmed prime and non deep-rift rift cosmetics will eventually be available on the store.

On the other their reasoning for the annual cosmetics to be annual because of "store clutter" doesn't quite ring true. I'm sure they've heard of tabs.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

Half of Hunteess' design is not being 100% positive of where the axe is going.

Gotta disagree. Watching any Huntress main and my own experience grinding out the 10 long distance mortar shots achievement is that the axe is 100% reliable. The issue is learning the hitbox vs the terrain. I also don't do the crosshair tape thing myself since I can eyeball the center of the screen. The axe has no randomness to it.

If people were not 100% positive of where the axe was going would they run long distance aura perks? There's a huge element of throwing the axe and not being certain it'll get there but that is due to the movement of the survivor and the wild variation in terrain that will interrupt it, including trees and tall debris. So you start by throwing mortar shots at static targets like generators.

The devs may have intended for it but it's the same as the Nurse blink, where every Nurse main urges you to learn the distances by feel without using the marker addon every time. If the killer is supposed to have an element of disorder/variance to their power use then BHVR hasn't actually put one in.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Medullah posted:

Waste of dev resources.

...but enough about Skull Merchant.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

BrewingTea posted:

If each of the Survivors, individually, scours the entire map to find all of the generators, and then (without communication) agree 100% on the order they should be done, there's nothing the killer can do to stop them.

/s

You can easily tell who in the thread only plays killer and doesn't know how solo queue works at all. Hold on, let me just make sure my team of people who can't communicate with each other only does the correct gens at all times and don't three gen themselves.

e: completely their fault if they three gen themselves, they could have silently mind controlled their teammates into stopping at any time. Oh and the killer intentionally forcing a 3 gen? Impossible, never happens. And if it does happen it's the survivor's fault for not stopping the killer from doing it.

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 14, 2023

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Umbreon posted:

You can easily tell who in the thread only plays killer

yeah they're funny and handsome and/or beautiful

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I play 99% killer but when I'm playing survivor, I'm aware that three of the generators are somewhere on the map and I should try to find them, no mind control needed

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Danaru posted:

I play 99% killer but when I'm playing survivor, I'm aware that three of the generators are somewhere on the map and I should try to find them, no mind control needed

Doesn't mean you can. Tell me oh wise wizard how you can find the three gen on leery's? It might be the TV control room, but it might not be...

I have almost 3k hours in the game and play in a relatively high survivor mmr, and let me tell you, though players are smarter about it, it can still happen.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Some maps like Azerov’s seem to be built around the idea that the survivors 3 genning themselves is possible, even likely, and are balanced out by being too big to patrol normally. I worry any heavy handed solution to 3 genning will just make these maps heavily survivor sided as there’d be no incentive to not just blast through all the gens on one side to get down to 1 gen and then coast on the killers inability to enforce anything anymore to finish up.

This is assuming something on the level of ‘if there’s 1 gen left no more kicking’, something more subtle like ‘gens have a 5 kick limit’ would at least be run into in fewer ‘normal’ games. Any ‘weakened killer’ state at 1 gen solution should be looked at with caution, as it incentivises teams to get the killer to that state as early in the match as possible and might lead to toolbox rushing strats.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
3 genning without holding the game hostage is still strong because it corals all survivors into the same area. Even if they disable kicking on the last gen, it's still possible to apply a lot of pressure to survivors. You just can't kick forever with kick perks which is boring as hell.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Doomykins posted:

Gotta disagree. Watching any Huntress main and my own experience grinding out the 10 long distance mortar shots achievement is that the axe is 100% reliable. The issue is learning the hitbox vs the terrain. I also don't do the crosshair tape thing myself since I can eyeball the center of the screen. The axe has no randomness to it.

If people were not 100% positive of where the axe was going would they run long distance aura perks? There's a huge element of throwing the axe and not being certain it'll get there but that is due to the movement of the survivor and the wild variation in terrain that will interrupt it, including trees and tall debris. So you start by throwing mortar shots at static targets like generators.

The devs may have intended for it but it's the same as the Nurse blink, where every Nurse main urges you to learn the distances by feel without using the marker addon every time. If the killer is supposed to have an element of disorder/variance to their power use then BHVR hasn't actually put one in.

To be clear I don't mean that the axe throw itself has a random element to it, I mean that eyeballing the center of the screen is still an imperfect science at the best of times.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Umbreon posted:

You can easily tell who in the thread only plays killer and doesn't know how solo queue works at all. Hold on, let me just make sure my team of people who can't communicate with each other only does the correct gens at all times and don't three gen themselves.

e: completely their fault if they three gen themselves, they could have silently mind controlled their teammates into stopping at any time. Oh and the killer intentionally forcing a 3 gen? Impossible, never happens. And if it does happen it's the survivor's fault for not stopping the killer from doing it.

Buddy I play loving solo queue all the time, it’s really not that hard to realize when you’re in a potential 3-gen spot and simply… walk to a different generator.

There are even perks where their sole entire purpose is to warn you about the 3-gen when you spawn.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I can say from experience that if you've managed a three gen and most of the survivor team is still alive, you still aren't gonna win because one person will just flee to a corner of the map, if you chase them the rest will do gens. If you chase those people off of the gens the first guy will come back and do gens. It isn't some magical I Win button unless the other team just decides they're allergic to doing gens (which happens)

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
Deja Vu goes brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The problem with solo queue is that the range of players you face is so huge and matchmaking so wacky that you DON'T know what flavor of spice you're running into game to game.

The bigger problem with the three-gen nerf is that it doesn't help the struggling players at all. This isn't a buff to bads because bads don't lose games to three genning. This isn't even a buff to kinda-goods, because kinda-goods also don't lose games to three genning. These players lose the game in many many ways, and rarely is three-genning themselves anything besides the absolutely final nail in the coffin of a game already lost on the back of two dozen poor choices and outright misplays.

Losing to three genning outside of the most egregious cases (Blight, Knight, Merch, Bubba, Plague, Twi- gotcha, nobody plays Twins) is by and large something that only happens to higher-tier solo queue players and SWFs because these are the teams that have the skills and decision making that can let them reach the point where getting 3-genned is a loss decision and not unnecessary altruism/poor decision making/bad pathing in chase/no map awareness ravaging your teams hopes and dreams long before that point. These are also the players who do not need help. These are the players where most of the killers in the game struggle to have a functional win condition and if the players misplay themselves onto a losing path under duress then you don't need to run in and tell the killers that we're disabling your only way to stop going to one gen from just being an in-progress loss. If you don't like how strong the killers who do best playing for a three-gen all game are, do something about them specifically. Clown and Pig don't need this poo poo done to them.

Especially if BHVR isn't particularly deft with this and just have it kick in ANY time the survivors are at one gen, at which point you're not playing for the win you're playing for gates and maximum pettiness because gently caress if the survivors actually played it right and the killer needs to make a triangles around the edges of the map to check gens. And I don't trust BHVR to be particularly deft at all.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
It's like I am playing some kind of crazy game seperate from all of you. When I play survivor I'd say 1 in every 10 matches is a killer aggressively defending a three gen, and yeah thats not ALL THE TIME but it is a lot.

And also, since i predominately solo queue, even in slightly higher mmr, three gen absolutely wrecks teams because it requires fairly coordinated effort to constantly apply pressure while trying to bait chase. One misstep and its over. It causes relatively good teams to fold in solo queue all the time for me.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Most maps have a gen at main that acts as lynchpin for the three-gen. Complete it, and the three-gen becomes significantly harder to hold if not outright impossible. Outside of really stupid map creation where three gens are within like 10 meters of each other, I wouldn’t want the hammer to drop on three-genning. Because it’ll both make games more samey and, as a survivor that isn’t great at looping, knowing which gens to tackle and which are higher priority to save repair kits or perks for is another skill I can bring to the table. It’s nice knowing that the game was won in a small part because I didn’t brainlessly do the first gen I saw or depleted my toolbox ASAP.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Pants Donkey posted:

Most maps have a gen at main that acts as lynchpin for the three-gen. Complete it, and the three-gen becomes significantly harder to hold if not outright impossible. Outside of really stupid map creation where three gens are within like 10 meters of each other, I wouldn’t want the hammer to drop on three-genning. Because it’ll both make games more samey and, as a survivor that isn’t great at looping, knowing which gens to tackle and which are higher priority to save repair kits or perks for is another skill I can bring to the table. It’s nice knowing that the game was won in a small part because I didn’t brainlessly do the first gen I saw or depleted my toolbox ASAP.

This just simply isn't true. Yeah sure some maps have this, but even with the "central lynch pin" gens, the map can still spawn an incredibly tight 3 gen in a corner. Now that specifically is a problem with map gen more than anything else but you can absolutely do the "central" gens and still get hosed by a super tight 3 gen.

And besides, like I said before, 3 genning will always be a thing because it corrals survivors into a smaller area, and that is still strong. The only thing I hope they correct is dumb meta "I kick forever and will just hold this game hostage" builds.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

They said their fix wouldn't effect normal games, or survivors loving themselves into a 3 gen. I have to imagine it'll be an early game thing, like "If the killer kicks the same 3 gens X times in a row while there's still 4+ gens in the game, they lose the ability to kick those gens" or whatever. I don't think that'll be it, but something like that would be way less intrusive than "at 1 gen to go the killer loses the ability to kick".

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Medullah posted:

Waste of dev resources.

Not when console players exist that can't physically add a crosshair via a simple overlay. Especially after devs condone doing it. It's basically gently caress console players.

Which would be fine of there was con cross play, but there is.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Buddy I play loving solo queue all the time, it’s really not that hard to realize when you’re in a potential 3-gen spot and simply… walk to a different generator.

There are even perks where their sole entire purpose is to warn you about the 3-gen when you spawn.

If you're actually trying to convince me that you play solo queue but you fail to consider what your teammates are actually going to be doing regardless of what you think is a good idea, then no you don't play it, or you most definitely aren't paying attention to anything but yourself and the killer. Like cool, you decided to not 3 gen yourself, unfortunately the rest of your team who isn't coordinating anything at all did whatever gens are safe for them to do did it anyway. You can choose what you're going to do, but you can't choose what your teammates are going to do and you can't even tell them what to do or avoid. A large population of the player base (on both sides)doesn't even know what the hell 3 genning is and many of the survivors who do know often can't do much about it because the killer either chases them off of the generators they're trying to switch to or their teammates are doing the wrong gens without even knowing it.

And I play killer too, you know what's even easier than just walking away from a potential three gen as a survivor? Walking towards survivors trying to do that as a killer. You know exactly where all seven gens are the moment the match starts, the survivors do not and are sure as hell not about to explore the entire map to try and memorize all seven gen locations, they're going to do them as they can. Find yourself a nice 3 gen as a killer and just walk towards anybody trying to do any of those three gens and watch as all the other gens pop without any further input on your part.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

PlasticAutomaton posted:

BHVR on any more changes to the UI to help aid solo survivors from today's AMA

"We always monitor the difference between survivor groups and our current stance is that lack of information is not the crux of the problem, but rather that friends work together by nature and solo survivors do not."

lmao these loving clowns.

The whole AMA was so loving depressing. They only fielded the softest of soft balls and like 99% of the answers were "that's a fun idea, it's not in the plans right now but we'll keep it in mind for the future".

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean the response is badly worded but at the same time there isn't a lot more the UI could do to bring parity with SWF outside of just putting in a COD Warzone style ping system

That is one of the things people have been asking for, and it's baffling that they're not even considering it. It really is not that difficult.

E:

Medullah posted:

Waste of dev resources.

This, again, is REALLY not that difficult, while also being a big win especially for console players. I know that there are more considerations than "private boolean showCrosshair = false -> true" but adding an optional static UI element to the center of the screen for the killer UI is the world's easiest layup.

This game's players -- not you necessarily, but in general -- have this weird mindset that the BHVR devs are these innocent little babies who can't accomplish the most basic of software development things for mysterious magical reasons and that's OK because gosh darnit they try their hardest, and also at the same time cut them insane amounts of slack for "spaghetti code".

They're a big, multi-million dollar software studio with hundreds of employees working on one of the best supported and most documented game engines on the market, and the only realistic reason they wouldn't do something like this is that the guys deciding on the priorities won't OK it, because it won't make them any money.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 14, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

To be clear I don't mean that the axe throw itself has a random element to it, I mean that eyeballing the center of the screen is still an imperfect science at the best of times.

True, why I made the Nurse comparison. After a certain experience threshold it isn't much of a thing anymore.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Avoiding 3 gens (and ending up being a gen jockey since solo queue people are 50/50 at remembering how to progress the game) is why I run Deja more often than not. It's a real thing, and the only time you can overcome a specifically camped 3 gen is if you're queued with people worth a drat. Which is often in short supply.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I agree that identifying and breaking a 3-gen is an incredibly satisfying part of games in normal situations, even in solo queue. Part of my fun is trying to identify them early and stop my teammates from shooting themselves in that particular foot, and it's part of why Visionary is one of my favorite perks. Beyond even 3-gens, it's nice to identify and work on "oh, this is going to be the easiest generator for the killer to patrol, better take care of it quickly" and it's awesome getting that satisfaction of, say, deleting a middle street gen on Haddonfield against Nurse while she's occupied in the first chase before your teammates go crawl upstairs and do all the easy gens they can find.

HOWEVER, I've absolutely had games where the killer sets up shop on a 3-gen at the start of the game and refuses to so much as look at anything outside of it. Had a guy patrolling back and forth like a loving NPC in a stealth section who would drop chase after a short distance. It was completely unwinnable in solo queue and I'm not sure how much a SWF would've been able to do, either, especially once the pallets are all broken - I'm sure a 2000 hour survivor could've kept him busy for a few minutes, maybe, if he was willing to keep engaging with it, but the game should generally be balanced around the entire community. Those kinds of games regularly stretch out into grueling 30 minute sessions unless you just give up at the start. I have no idea how the killer enjoyed that kind of play - cannot loving relate - but yeah. The argument "just break the 3-gen" doesn't work when the killer gives zero opportunity to do so from the word go.

BUT ALL THAT SAID, I would much rather deal with Assassin's Creed NPC killers once in a blue moon than introduce a nerf to killer for the other 95% of games you'll be having, and I super don't trust whatever fix BHVR is doing.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

If it mainly affects the hardcore kick regression builds that can stall a game for an hour, mission success.

But since this is BHVR, I shall look forward to the ham handed kick in the teeth to all killers pushing everyone toward hard tunneling yet again.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

There just needs to be a minimum distance between gen spawns where a three-gen is easier but not a grueling 45-minute match.

I’d also like to see something done when just two survivors are left and there’s like three or more gens left to do. Because that can also dissolve into a slog as the remaining survivors realize gens are likely impossible to finish, and they stop focusing on them and just try to avoid being caught first so they can try for the hatch.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

I’d also like to see something done when just two survivors are left and there’s like three or more gens left to do. Because that can also dissolve into a slog as the remaining survivors realize gens are likely impossible to finish, and they stop focusing on them and just try to avoid being caught first so they can try for the hatch.

THANK you

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Absolutely yes please. I hate this on both sides.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

For sure. loving hate the realization that the other dude is immediately selling me out and tiptoeing around the map, especially if it's someone who was already kind of dead weight in the rest of the match. I get it, the game is doomed, but c'mon.

Like, create some kind of timer where under a certain set of circumstances that means survivors are most likely crouching around the map, e.g. a gen hasn't gotten done for 3 minutes straight with 0 chases in that time, the auras of survivors are highlighted for 20 seconds (including in lockers).

Had a match the other day where someone was refusing to touch gens or do anything other than tiptoe around the very edge of the map from the word go. I don't think he literally once touched a gen, he just stood still. When he started to get crows or the killer got close, he'd rotate to a different corner. He was trying to get his David adept, which... I understand, but also, get it the normal way, gently caress you. Once it was just me and him left I ran up and threw a flashbang then chased him until the killer got us both. I hope you die, I hope we both die, etc.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 14, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

BitBasher posted:

Not when console players exist that can't physically add a crosshair via a simple overlay. Especially after devs condone doing it. It's basically gently caress console players.

Which would be fine of there was con cross play, but there is.

Real talk: my current theory is that the upcoming Huntress changes are mostly just add-on changes, and part of that will be a brown add-on that gives you a basic cross hair. And thus we can finally come to an official conclusion: cross hairs are technically undetectable cheating, but cheating to give yourself a bonus brown tutorial add-on and who gives a gently caress.

(Well, that or a random dev made a joke and didn't expect everyone to start frothing at the mouth about cross hairs.)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

There just needs to be a minimum distance between gen spawns where a three-gen is easier but not a grueling 45-minute match.

Devs tried to counter this by making flocks of birds appear around survivors that are just sitting still for a long period of time but A) they can just occasionally wiggle while the killer runs in circles and B) you can't even see or hear the birds on like half of the maps unless you are right on top of them.

If they're going to punish regression on gens I'd like it if they threw in the other side too, make it so that if a generator, any generator, isn't worked on within a certain time frame then some sort of penalty is applied. Maybe build towards an endgame collapse. Forcing survivors out into the open to at least touch gens would make sense both from a mechanical and lore perspective.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CuddleCryptid posted:

If they're going to punish regression on gens I'd like it if they threw in the other side too, make it so that if a generator, any generator, isn't worked on within a certain time frame then some sort of penalty is applied. Maybe build towards an endgame collapse. Forcing survivors out into the open to at least touch gens would make sense both from a mechanical and lore perspective.

And the same for exit gates too. Make them regress if they're not actively being opened to prevent survivors from 99-ing them and just loving off for however long they want.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/dvveet/status/1735343070437167415?s=20

Okay this is cool as hell.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I know that there are more considerations than "private boolean showCrosshair = false -> true"

There's already a "crosshair" that appears whenever you get hit with Clown's tonic (to avoid motion sickness, I suspect?) so it actually might be as simple as enabling that for Huntress.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BrewingTea posted:

There's already a "crosshair" that appears whenever you get hit with Clown's tonic (to avoid motion sickness, I suspect?) so it actually might be as simple as enabling that for Huntress.

Hah, well that just makes it even sadder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

For sure. loving hate the realization that the other dude is immediately selling me out and tiptoeing around the map, especially if it's someone who was already kind of dead weight in the rest of the match. I get it, the game is doomed, but c'mon.
Always feel bad to catch someone and watch them die on hook only to see their remaining “teammate” was a weasel with Sole Survivor just waiting for them to die.

Especially depressing when it’s not a particularly strong three gen remaining.