Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ananymous
Jul 23, 2023
I hate paperwork so I thought of a trick to avoid some: For small commissions with trusted parties or tiny debts among friends, offer 12x the amount on a 1/10 chance.

The benefit is that 90% of the time we both avoid effort and never have to think about it again. It's weirdly tricky to agree/organise a method if online, I have used "future lottery results" but there's probably something simpler.

Is this a terrible idea? Am I going to jail? Got your own scheme to share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
yes, i hope so, no

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I owe you a beer. Here's a 1d10 on a 12-pack. Roll for initiative.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I don't see how that even significantly reduces paperwork. You still need an agreement written and signed beforehand for any sort of formal contracting. At best you save the 'massive' effort of writing a check or doing an electronic credit card payment.

While formally +EV for the counterparty, it would need a large number of instances to play out, so with "debts among friends" it just seems more likely to provoke resentment or annoyance, unless the values are truly trivial to both people, in which case why bother even overthinking this.

seems like a bad idea OP

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
I mean for "small debts between friends" this is almost exclusively like, who cards the dinner so that they don't have to split the bill 8 ways or whatever. With venmo these days it's fairly easy to just venmo even splitting of the bill to the card holder but back in the days of having to do that with cash it was a huge hassle.

Enter the credit card game.

Everyone who came to the dinner/event puts their credit card into a hat (this was also before the new trend of metal cards for "premium" feel). A card is drawn out. That person pays the bill. This is done at the end of dinner and randomly to prevent people from selecting cheap restaurants or guilting each other for expensive entrees/drinks in a turn-based system.

Go out with more or less the same friends relatively frequently and it all becomes a wash.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Amara posted:

I mean for "small debts between friends" this is almost exclusively like, who cards the dinner so that they don't have to split the bill 8 ways or whatever. With venmo these days it's fairly easy to just venmo even splitting of the bill to the card holder but back in the days of having to do that with cash it was a huge hassle.

Enter the credit card game.

Everyone who came to the dinner/event puts their credit card into a hat (this was also before the new trend of metal cards for "premium" feel). A card is drawn out. That person pays the bill. This is done at the end of dinner and randomly to prevent people from selecting cheap restaurants or guilting each other for expensive entrees/drinks in a turn-based system.

Go out with more or less the same friends relatively frequently and it all becomes a wash.

If you regularly order more/more expensive things than your friends/relatives, it does not, in fact, "come out in the wash." In fact, it incentivizes everyone to order more/more expensive things.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
Well yeah, it encourages everyone to order food, drinks, apps, and also to do things like share apps and share desserts and get sides to share etc. It does encourage people to spend money.

It discourages people from trying to scrimp and only order an entree or a salad. You don't do the credit card game if you're on a tight budget. If you're the guy who wants to order one dish and only pay for the dish you ordered or if you're the guy who sees this and immediately thinks "how can I munchkin this arrangement / how am I gonna be screwed by my friends by this arrangement" then this probably isn't for your group of friends.

This isn't designed for "most fair" or "best with money". You wanna do that then you pick up the receipt at the end of the dinner and count up exactly what you owe and everyone pays for exactly what they got. The credit card game is for groups of friends where one person typically covers the whole bill anyway, for convenience, and this just makes selecting who covers the bill easy.

My read on OP's question is "hey guys who hate trying to keep track of exactly who owes what are there shortcuts?". This is a shortcut. And all shortcuts probably leak money just like his 12 to 10 example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Amara posted:

what paperwork are you doing on small debts with friends? OP mentioned commissions and such so I assume there is some Business involved in this that requires invoicing and record keeping