Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

facialimpediment posted:

Harbaugh is already going mildly nuts with his suspension (though he apparently coaches during the week):

https://twitter.com/ByAZuniga/status/1696194730424512512?t=PR9Vkat-OQGeMgRzO46Odw&s=19

Jim often has good opinions just don’t ask him about the usual Catholic Things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Cal/Stanford adds to the ACC are all about the bay area cable etc that the accn would get added to by ESPN that will raise the payout. Same with SMU bringing the DFW market for those subscriptions.

It's not quite the same model as before with pure cable subs, but the ACC is really banking on extra revenue from their network getting put into new markets that make their payout in a position that settles them as the clear #3.

50-60 mil per school prb still isn't enough for FSU when the SEC/b1g will get 80-120 per school per year soon, but it's way better than 35-40 in the big 12 and is clearly better for any of those schools than a G5 media contact with is basically peanuts comparatively.

To be clear it's dumb, but at least the Cali schools make sense academically for that kind of partnership and any extra revenue is needed as this point.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Cal/Stanford adds to the ACC are all about the bay area cable etc that the accn would get added to by ESPN that will raise the payout. Same with SMU bringing the DFW market for those subscriptions.

It's not quite the same model as before with pure cable subs, but the ACC is really banking on extra revenue from their network getting put into new markets that make their payout in a position that settles them as the clear #3.

50-60 mil per school prb still isn't enough for FSU when the SEC/b1g will get 80-120 per school per year soon, but it's way better than 35-40 in the big 12 and is clearly better for any of those schools than a G5 media contact with is basically peanuts comparatively.

To be clear it's dumb, but at least the Cali schools make sense academically for that kind of partnership and any extra revenue is needed as this point.

FSU will probably be less upset if they aren't in a position to watch UCF make more than them. That one's particularly galling. Hell if the ACC pulls off some revenue sharing with the 3 additions that ups the total payout maybe it causes FSU to shut up for another 4-5 years

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Are Stanford and Cal actually popular teams that people in the Bay Area care about? Or is this a completely misguided "Rutgers bring the New York market!" decision? My sense is that people there care a lot more for professional sports.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

J33uk posted:

Harbs ain't wrong about the status quo not being acceptable/sustainable. This poo poo is going to fly off the rails even harder with this round of realignment.

Golly! Please be okay, and hooray for the healing power of football.

And yeah, Harbaugh has a point.

Komet posted:

Are Stanford and Cal actually popular teams that people in the Bay Area care about? Or is this a completely misguided "Rutgers bring the New York market!" decision? My sense is that people there care a lot more for professional sports.

I can't speak for the area, but many of the California expats around here love them.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Komet posted:

They’re popular and have massive alumni bases in the bay but also throughout the country but it just so happens that they’ve both had a few good years but mostly not so great since 2000

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I basically switched off from college ball during the offseason, apart from listening to the Fullcast. My understanding is that all the conferences have changed a billion times (I assume that doesn't happen immediately?) and Florida are going to have a bad year. So that's cool.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I feel like the ACC is maybe lowkey already trying to prepare for a reality where 4-6 of its biggest schools leave the conference.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1696140476288520403

Nothing really new that we didn't know, but they're meeting.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

J33uk posted:

Medical stuff

I skipped over the first page, best of luck.

If/when things work out it'll be a hell of a story to tell in the end at least.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

General Dog posted:

I feel like the ACC is maybe lowkey already trying to prepare for a reality where 4-6 of its biggest schools leave the conference.

I think this is certainly part of it given how FSU has postured and how the SEC/B1G have behaved in public vs behind closed doors. The "Alliance" was such fraudulent BS we all knew it, but I think when it comes to school leaders relationships it destroyed the trust they seemingly had before.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

But where are you getting 35-40 for the big XII in the mythical world where the ACC's contract expands to 50-60?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

General Dog posted:

I think it's the opposite. No ACC school has deep enough pockets to get out of such an astoundingly long GOR and the ACC knows they have them by the short curlies. So far the power 2 conferences and tv networks haven't engaged in financially supporting teams exiting their conferences early.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

But where are you getting 35-40 for the big XII in the mythical world where the ACC's contract expands to 50-60?

Their current payout is ~34 million per school and with the new additions was reported to be around 38-40 million per school. What they'll get when they reup in a few years who knows, but the ACC is still ahead of the Big12 in revenue, and adding ACCN households will up that per school. Plus if the Cali schools and SMU take smaller payouts for a while that will inflate the other ACC schools revenue too (FSU is hyped about that im sure).

The ACC payout this year was already ~40 million, and they've projected with the current base for the ACCN when the revenue ramps up for that (ESPN had it tiered to go up over time) the expectation is it'll raise that ACC # closer to 50 million maybe 60 with more schools.

I feel like this has all been part of the reporting this cycle, but I'll dig up articles if its wanted.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Neil Armbong posted:

I think it's the opposite. No ACC school has deep enough pockets to get out of such an astoundingly long GOR and the ACC knows they have them by the short curlies. So far the power 2 conferences and tv networks haven't engaged in financially supporting teams exiting their conferences early.

Yeah I don't know that anybody is going to get out especially soon, but 2036 is going to actually arrive someday.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Their current payout is ~34 million per school and with the new additions was reported to be around 38-40 million per school. What they'll get when they reup in a few years who knows, but the ACC is still ahead of the Big12 in revenue, and adding ACCN households will up that per school. Plus if the Cali schools and SMU take smaller payouts for a while that will inflate the other ACC schools revenue too (FSU is hyped about that im sure).

The ACC payout this year was already ~40 million, and they've projected with the current base for the ACCN when the revenue ramps up for that (ESPN had it tiered to go up over time) the expectation is it'll raise that ACC # closer to 50 million maybe 60 with more schools.

I feel like this has all been part of the reporting this cycle, but I'll dig up articles if its wanted.

Projections last year, before the Pac 12 exploded, were that the Big XII payout, with the new schools, will rise to over $50m by the end of their contract cycle in 2031. Big XII payout for '22-'23 was $44m, which was thought to surpass that of the ACC, though I couldn't find anything saying what the ACC _actually_ paid out, I found that it was projected to be in the $40m range for '22-'23.

If they do get some extra money through adding two California schools and SMU, it brings them more in line with where the Big XII is at through '31. I hadn't heard that they were expected to increase their per-school take from the networks but had heard payout increases were expected to be due to SMU not taking any of it. But I haven't been following this part of it closely.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Let's talk about a hypothetical for a second. We know there aren't 4 teams that have deep enough pockets to get out of the GOR in order to join the Big Ten or SEC. But it takes 8 teams to dissolve the GOR. However, there aren't 8 teams in the ACC that have an open door into the Big Ten or SEC.

Can FSU lead 7+ other teams (from the ACC or even Big XII) into a new conference that is able to negotiate a better TV contract than what ESPN currently offers the ACC? ESPN isn't going to pay out rights to air both the shrunken ACC and a new conference. That money has to be from some other network that wants to get a larger share of the college football pie: CBS or NBC? Both CBS and NBC are invested in the Big Ten, but only to a small extent compared to Fox.

It's a tremendous risk to be sure, and I don't think FSU would do it unless they had a TV contract locked in before they pulled the trigger.

Komet fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 29, 2023

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kayakyakr posted:

had heard payout increases were expected to be due to SMU not taking any of it.

The SMU thing is very funny from what I can tell. They're trying to literally buy their way into a power conference by taking zero money and going on their own for a while. Betting that conference will still exist (and be power) by the time they get their payout.

And they've got the money backing them to do it, or think they do, so why not try I guess? I don't know, I'm laughing at the idea but I can see how it might work.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

The SMU thing is very funny from what I can tell. They're trying to literally buy their way into a power conference by taking zero money and going on their own for a while. Betting that conference will still exist (and be power) by the time they get their payout.

And they've got the money backing them to do it, or think they do, so why not try I guess? I don't know, I'm laughing at the idea but I can see how it might work.

I hope Liberty doesn't get any bright ideas

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Komet posted:

Let's talk about a hypothetical for a second. We know there aren't 4 teams that have deep enough pockets to get out of the GOR in order to join the Big Ten or SEC. But it takes 8 teams to dissolve the GOR. However, there aren't 8 teams in the ACC that have an open door into the Big Ten or SEC.

Can FSU lead 7+ other teams (from the ACC or even Big XII) into a new conference that is able to negotiate a better TV contract than what ESPN currently offers the ACC? ESPN isn't going to pay out rights to air both the shrunken ACC and a new conference. That money has to be from some other network that wants to get a larger share of the college football pie: CBS or NBC? Both CBS and NBC are invested in the Big Ten, but only to a small extent compared to Fox.

It's a tremendous risk to be sure, and I don't think FSU would do it unless they had a TV contract locked in before they pulled the trigger.

After seeing how new tv contract negotiations went for the PAC, no, I don't believe they'd be able to confidently do this.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I think for a new power conference to work you'd have to get another large network involved with no streaming and the ability to pay 1 to 2 billion dollars per year. The only entities that can do that are NBC and CBS. There's nothing out there that says they're going to about-face and go all in on college football.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hell, the Big 16 might have the last contract worth a drat in college athletics. The numbers can only go up so much before a collapse.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
https://twitter.com/UnnecRoughness/status/1696639024926961926?t=3nqAW2roMzfF6xWObGBT7A&s=

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I was half expecting him to walk out with a bag full of runzas

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Rectal Placenta posted:

I was half expecting him to walk out with a bag full of runzas

$1700 worth of vape products allegedly lol

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Doesn't even know how to kick a door down

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Gilbert is an absolute mess. Many years of therapy needed here, but what he'll get will more likely be "in and out of jail."

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

“Semen from the parking lot”

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

dirty shrimp money posted:

I think for a new power conference to work you'd have to get another large network involved with no streaming and the ability to pay 1 to 2 billion dollars per year. The only entities that can do that are NBC and CBS. There's nothing out there that says they're going to about-face and go all in on college football.

alternatively you get Amazon, Apple, or Google to truly pony up the big bucks betting that cable will be well and fully dead in another ~5 years bc all of those companies absolutely have that lying around in their couch cushions. Amazon doing the TNF deal with the NFL and Apple doing the MLS deal plus a tentative offer to the Pac-10 makes me think it's not outside the realm of possibility that they make a run at real football airing rights in the near/mid term

put another way, cable and live tv packages only still exist bc of sports. how much is that viewership worth in new subscribers for your streaming service that's now in a knife fight with all the other behemoths?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
That’s the same kind of wishful thinking that got the pac to where it is. They would get involved if there’s an actual super conference that guarantees a monopoly on college football eyeballs on Saturday but they’re not going to pay up for what will be at best the third best conference

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I think it's a tremendous mistake to move away from traditional over antenna networks and channels you can get on cable/DirectTV/streaming on YouTube/Sling/Hulu/whatever to a streaming-only platform like Apple or Amazon. A substantial portion of rural, college football watching America doesn't have broadband access (about 30% according to Pew: https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2021/08/19/some-digital-divides-persist-between-rural-urban-and-suburban-america/). My parents have DSL in WV but it's throttled so badly every evening that streaming Netflix buffers pretty frequently due to lack of infrastructural capacity. You cut a deal with a streaming platform and you lose a massive number of eyeballs. It's bad enough that some Big Ten games are cherry picked to go on Peacock only.

The number of streaming services is completely fragmented that I wouldn't be surprised if in 10-20 years content becomes reconsolidated.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Komet posted:

The number of streaming services is completely fragmented that I wouldn't be surprised if in 10-20 years content becomes reconsolidated.

I don't think it's even going to take that long. Everyone loved streaming for about 3 years but now everyone loving hates it because of the market segmentation.

I don't know the details but aren't Disney+ and Hulu functionally merging fairly soon? I know they've been "bundled" for a little bit now.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Judgy Fucker posted:

I don't think it's even going to take that long. Everyone loved streaming for about 3 years but now everyone loving hates it because of the market segmentation.

I don't know the details but aren't Disney+ and Hulu functionally merging fairly soon? I know they've been "bundled" for a little bit now.

They plan to have only 1 app by the end of the year.

When I switched to that bundle, it came with ESPN app, and I don't know if that app is going into the pile as well. I have no idea though if it's an ESPN level that comes with good sports; all I've seen on it so far is US Open tennis. The price of buying the bundle was like $10 less per month than Hulu and Disney separately, with ESPN thrown in as a freebie, so I suspect I'm on some garbage ESPN tier that won't have college football.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't think ESPN+ is tiered.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't think ESPN+ is tiered.

Oh, neat. Strikes me as too good to last, but I'm happy to benefit from it for a season at least.

Remember like 10 years ago when the free ESPN streaming app had ALL the college games? Good times, good times

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
ESPN isn’t included with ESPN+, so you won’t get games on channels like SECN and standard ESPN.

You’ll get some golf and tennis and “other” sports but you won’t see any NFL/NCAAF etc games on it unless it’s a lower tier game that they’ll have sometimes for college. It is pretty great for college baseball though.

You can log into the ESPN app with your cable provider and see the games that way, but they’re not going to show it all you have is ESPN+

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

ESPN isn’t included with ESPN+, so you won’t get games on channels like SECN and standard ESPN.

You’ll get some golf and tennis and “other” sports but you won’t see any NFL/NCAAF etc games on it unless it’s a lower tier game that they’ll have sometimes for college.

You can log into the ESPN app with your cable provider and see the games that way, but they’re not going to show it all you have is ESPN+

gently caress, I hate that poo poo

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

gently caress, I hate that poo poo

You could do what I do and find a friend that’s paying for cable somehow and ask for their login and use it in the ESPN app. The app doesn’t do checks for locations/addresses.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
YouTube TV remains by far the best college football option even though it goes up every year. They don't seem to be having their annual dispute with Disney either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I read that YTTV limits which channels you can multi view. If that’s true, Fubo is similar but doesn’t limit what you can watch